Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The doctor called with the reassuring news that the results of the blood tests they re-conducted on me recently turned out perfectly fine. I was pretty confident that this would be the case, but it turns out this takes a weight off of MrsBlue's shoulders, as she shares with me after-the-fact that she was pretty concerned about all this.

Play Time: Motorcycle Game. Thanks banddirector.
Links of the Day: Critically Ill Baby Needs a Heart. On the chance someone can offer a miracle.
Monobrow.com. Thanks David.
Mooning Amtrak Trains. Mark your calendars.
Story of the Day: Man robs doughnut business with laser. Thanks Engadget.
Science!: Climate crisis near 'in 10 years'.
Scientists Create Petrified Wood in Days.
Bad driving 'linked to hormones'. Show to your wife at your own risk.
Images of the Day: John Romero's DOOM Photo Gallery. Thanks Doom3Maps.org.
Eye of Science. Thanks David.
The Awful Forums | My Snowy Tribute to Calvin & Hobbes.
Auction of the Day: Doom 3 PC SIGNED by the Production Team for CHARITY!!!!
Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.

View
103 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

103. wht? Jan 28, 2005, 18:21 Adam Muhammad

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jan 29, 09:47.

Tech News, Fresh From Global News Sources, PC Review, Software Review Cyberculture
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

102. Re: dm Jan 26, 2005, 20:13 Josh

Thanks Tango. Good to be back. The point I was trying to make is that if you don't like what is going on in the world, then change it. If enough people wanted changed, it would come about one way or another.  
Josh, Your Friendly Neighborhood Troll
--Waiting for Halsy's dad to break my kneecaps--

101. Re: slow HL2 DM download speeds Jan 26, 2005, 10:30 Enahs

I'm always rather stunned that other games haven't done the same thing. It can't be all that hard to code or setup, and it's one of the many great things about the UT series.

Wolf:ET does! And it is free! All you tools need to play more Wolf:ET!!!

_____
Enahs
Thatís a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know the French they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

100. Re: slow HL2 DM download speeds Jan 26, 2005, 09:32 Zathrus

HL2DM does not seem to possess the screaming d/l speeds that UT24K does

As I understand it, UT allowed server admins to specify another site to download content from -- so you didn't have to use the game server's bandwidth to download the map. And, of course, it supported compressed transfers, which made things even better.

I'm always rather stunned that other games haven't done the same thing. It can't be all that hard to code or setup, and it's one of the many great things about the UT series. The Epic guys always seem to think about a lot of the "little" things like that, score display, stats, etc. that other developers (*cough*id*cough*) don't bother with.

99. Re: dm Jan 26, 2005, 08:05 Tango

Ah welcome back Josh, we've missed you. Definitely.

98. Re: dm Jan 26, 2005, 06:12 Josh

"..people like Warhawk are permitted to vote for people who have no problem dooming humanity for a fast buck." Whoa, did I miss something? I could have sworn that as long as you were a U.S. citizen, over 18, and not a convicted felon then you could vote. I didn't realize that only people like Warhawk were allowed to decide who gets elected. You would think that if there were people out there that aren't like Warhawk, and they wanted change, that they would have *GASP* voted. Guess not though.  
Josh, Your Friendly Neighborhood Troll
--Waiting for Halsy's dad to break my kneecaps--

97. slow HL2 DM download speeds Jan 26, 2005, 05:55 Elvis

running custom maps which means having to d/l them at the beginning of every level at 0.08Mbps

true, HL2DM does not seem to possess the screaming d/l speeds that UT24K does (maybe THIS is the Q1 code still in HL2 that John C recently referenced?
You can always google the map after seeing what's playing in the steam server listing. I've some links for fast map links, but not with me at the moment.
see you online, e.

p.s. i look forward to finding out just how hard you are to frag!

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 05:57.

96. Re: dm Jan 26, 2005, 05:15 Tango

Be warned, though, that it seems to be hosted on Elvis' home internet connection running custom maps which means having to d/l them at the beginning of every level at 0.08Mbps.
I second that... grr

95. Re: Global warming... Jan 26, 2005, 02:43 Camaro76

Found this page with MPG ratings (only goes back to '85)

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/best/bestworstEPAtrucksNF.shtml

Another good page:

http://www.cbo.gov/showdoc.cfm?index=3991&sequence=2

Remember the '80s? When economy cars began appearing on the scene?

Actually the VW Beetle (1939), Chrysler Valiant (1960), Ford Falcon (1960) and Chevy Corvair (1960) started the 'economy' ball rolling. These were built in response to the demand for a smaller and cheaper car since a recession hit the country in the late 50's. Then in the 70's you had the Chevette, Maverick, Pinto, Mustang II, etc. But since then the MPG standards haven't been a serious issue for the big car companies.

(I know a bit of car history since for my job I sell antique Ford parts)

You know, maybe I'm a sick individual but in a way I'm just hoping for some kind of global ecological disaster/episode. Because that is what it's going to take to break people out of the stupor they've been living in for the past 25 years.

Sad, but true. It always has to take a tragedy for anything to change.

---------------------------------------------------
[No pixels were harmed in the making of this post.]

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

94. Hey, you gotta admit Jan 26, 2005, 02:04 Creston

That Romero's Doom gallery is fun to look through. How about that real Doom chainsaw? I bet that would fetch a nice college scholarship for one of your kids on Ebay.

Creston

93. Re: dm Jan 26, 2005, 01:18 Halsy

You say this like fear mongering is bad or ineffective. It worked for the Isrealis and Bush.

LOL! Nice one JB. Warhawk doesn't have a problem with fear-mongering as long as it's from the right-wing and it pertains to myths and lies he can't grasp but will belief without evidence. However, when it's from the left and isn't fear-mongering but actual fact, complete with irrefutable evidence of what's coming to pass, he thinks it's all some left-wing conspiracy.

Heh, oh man, the ignorance and self-delusion of him and people like him never ceases to amaze me. And that, Crispy, is why this species is doomed sooner rather than later...people like Warhawk are permitted to vote for people who have no problem dooming humanity for a fast buck.

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums."
- The Sphinx, Mystery Men

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

92. Re: Global warming... Jan 26, 2005, 00:45 c r i s p y

You know, maybe I'm a sick individual but in a way I'm just hoping for some kind of global ecological disaster/episode. Because that is what it's going to take to break people out of the stupor they've been living in for the past 25 years. This "I'm OK so screw everyone else" mindset that has allowed things to progress to a point where it's 'cool' to be blatantly wasteful while others are starving just makes me want to vomit.

Remember the '80s? When economy cars began appearing on the scene? WTF happened? Many of today's giant SUVs get shittier gas mileage than a 1978 Monte Carlo! Yet people that drive those things are looked up to? Again I say "WTF?".

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 00:46.

---
Chris.

91. Re: Motorcycle game.... Jan 26, 2005, 00:33 bjbgraphics

Miniclip has several versions of the "Trial Bike" game that was posted on Bluesnews a loong time ago.

http://www.miniclip.com/trialbike.htm
http://www.miniclip.com/trialscy/trialscy.htm

BJB

Anyone have that really old link to the Motorcycle Game that was all about physics. You had to get your moto over the objects leaning forward and backward, etc. Based off of an actual sport?

Very funny SA picks. I always thought about doing that......but that would mean spending time outside....where it is currently cold.

xXBatmanXx - fka BatmanX & Batman
This comment was edited on Jan 26, 00:34.

90. Re: No subject Jan 25, 2005, 23:52 WarPig

Thanks guys.

In console type "connect xxx.xxx.xx.xx".

That's what I thought. I must have typed in something wrong.

There may be another way to do it, but I went to the 'Favorites' tab on the Connect menu, and there's an 'add server' button there.

I just plain missed that, even though I was looking for it.

Well, since I obviously can't type, read, or see tonight maybe it was all for the best that I couldn't connect.

-------------------------------------------------------
"That's inside-out boy. His mouth is in his belly, so he's gotta slap at his vocal chords with his bladder in order to make words."

GO SEAHAWKS!

89. Re: No subject Jan 25, 2005, 22:32 Enahs

How do I connect directly to a server?

In console type "connect xxx.xxx.xx.xx".

_____
Enahs
Thatís a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know the French they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

88. Re: No subject Jan 25, 2005, 22:16 complicity

How do I connect directly to a server?
There may be another way to do it, but I went to the 'Favorites' tab on the Connect menu, and there's an 'add server' button there.

A message of hope to those who choose to hear it,
and a warning to those who do not.

87. Re: Global warming... Jan 25, 2005, 21:08 JoeCool

People shouldn't be allowed to express their views anymore.

86. Re: Global warming... Jan 25, 2005, 21:00 nin

That's right, folks. Nuclear winter can save us!

Bullshit, man! Everyone knows THAT'S HOW THE MACHINES TAKE OVER!!!!!!!!

May 3rd, 2005 - "We are preparing to destroy you." http://www.nin.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

85. Re: No subject Jan 25, 2005, 20:54 WarPig

I realize I should already know how to do this but it's been so long...

How do I connect directly to a server? You'd think that there'd be an option in the menu but I can't find it, and if it's a command line thing I can't remember how.

-------------------------------------------------------
"That's inside-out boy. His mouth is in his belly, so he's gotta slap at his vocal chords with his bladder in order to make words."

GO SEAHAWKS!

84. Re: dm Jan 25, 2005, 19:56 JosephBlowski

" catastrophic climate change
suffer irreversible damage
runaway climate change
climatic tipping points leading, for example, to the loss of the West Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets
ecological time-bomb ticking

If that isn't fear-mongering, what is? "

You say this like fear mongering is bad or ineffective. It worked for the Isrealis and Bush.

.Saddam has WMD
.Iraq can hit Britain in 45 minutes with WMD
.Saddam has moving trailers that produce biological weapons.

Fear mongering = invasion and takeover of sovereign country of Iraq.

It worked for Bush re election

.Osama tape right before election - Osama now officially does not exist
.Isreali teenager dressed as "The American Arab" gets major network news coverage from all USA networks for the video he made in his basement saying muslims were going to kll Americans. No prosecution of the Isreali teenageer.
.Orange Terror alert right before election. When was last time after election you heard the words "color coded terror alert"?

The son of the ex head of the USA secret police, the CIA, is elected for the second time. 3 Bush presidencies over the span of 20 years. I call that effective.
---

Fear mongering worked for the murderers and the thieves of oil, it worked for the liars and the criminals in the presidential election.

Can you honestly blame peaceful people for thinking that fear mongering works after seeing the examples above with the whopping huge payout the fear mongerers receive?

103 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo