Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

Free Marathon Release

The Trilogy Release Website (thanks Jay) offers downloads and details on the free release of Marathon and Marathon 2, Bungie's seminal first-person shooters. Included is the release of Marathon, Marathon 2, Marathon Infinity, editing utilities Anvil and Forge, as well as game manuals and edition tutorials in Adobe Acrobat format. The Trilogy Release FAQ has details on the release. The Mac .sit-format files are currently available, and apparently there is an effort underway to create a PC-friendly version of this release compatible with the Aleph One Marathon-based OpenSource project.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Way to go Jan 13, 2005, 01:11 Midnight

Oddly enough, Pathways into Darkness was also made by Bungie, and was the first FPS they ever made. It even has a mention of the Jjaro, who played a vital role in the Marathon trilogy and are widely assumed to be the 'Forerunners' that made the Halos.

Doom was more popular, Marathon was a better game. That's how it normally works.

Personally, I found the shotgun in Doom to be less satisfying than *dual-wielding* double-barrelled shotguns in Marathon 2. With those babies, you could cut a path through any alien horde.

And no FPS has yet to have the same level of humour generated by the assimilated BoBs - genetically engineered aliens who looked identical to the ship-board civilians and would run up to you and explode. Remember the map "God will Sort the Dead" from Marathon 2? How many people gave up on trying to tell the real BoBs from the Simulcrons and just ended up blowing everyone up?

http://www.davidcsimon.com

http://www.crimsondark.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. WHOOP Jan 12, 2005, 06:39 WarPig

KICK ASS

19. Re: Way to go Jan 12, 2005, 01:10 TimothyB

Does anyone remember an older game called "Pathways into Darkness" on Mac, I still have the box, but I'm not at home to check the year.

18. Re: Way to go Jan 12, 2005, 00:34 mystery8

Yay for free old games. First time I even heard of Marathon was Red vs. Blue #43. StarCraft was my first RTS and is still my favorite.

17. Re: Way to go Jan 11, 2005, 21:51 Undead Scottsman

Actually, that comparison is a bit more apt.. Dune II would be the Wolfenstien 3D equivilant (Pioneered the Genra), CnC was the Doom equivilant-mega successful blockbuster that popularized the genra, and StarCraft is considered by many to be the de facto game in the genra. (Come on, there's an entire bloody COUNTRY devoted to the game almost That's popularity!) That's where I'd think Bungie would have been had Marathon been put on the PC in the first place. Well, at least until Half-Life was released

But I guess that's more of my opinion than anything else

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

16. Re: Way to go Jan 11, 2005, 20:35 Propagandhi

Oh, no doubt on that. But who do you think is more revered: Westwood for Dune II or Blizzard for StarCraft?

Personally I'd say Westwood for C&C but maybe that's just me. Sure, Dune II came first but C&C introduced a ton of people to the genre and really popularized it..

I eat pasta!

15. Re: Way to go Jan 11, 2005, 19:48 Awesome Spume

Oh, no doubt on that. But who do you think is more revered: Westwood for Dune II or Blizzard for StarCraft?

Blizzard. Sheesh, they released WOW. Get with the program, dude!

-------------------
If you're a European sign the anti-software-patents petition at:
http://petition.eurolinux.org/

14. ! Jan 11, 2005, 18:47 nier

An awesome day indeed, Bungie truly struck gold with these games.

Whatever happened to the Marathon: Resurrection TC for Unreal Tournament? The site hasn't been updated in years, it seems

13. Re: No subject Jan 11, 2005, 13:37 Sixis

Having played both Marathon and Doom at the time of release, I felt that Doom "felt" a lot better than Marathon. Marathon always felt a little too clean and polished and bright, and the weapons didn't have the heft that made Doom so much fun. Funny thing is, Marathon followed the "rules" of good game design better than Doom (it was making them up as it went along actually) like plot, variety, immersive enviroment.

But I think anyone who loads these up today will still say that Doom, for whatever reason, is still a hell of a lot more fun. Maybe it's the shotgun

12. whohooo Jan 11, 2005, 13:36 Maas Neotek

Allz i can say is 'yay'. There were so many things in this series that really got SCI-Fi creative juices going. so many pieces to a great game. After all, whats an FPS without an fantastic plot? mediocre. Yeah it was on Mac, but it will always go down in history as a first class title.

I'm not one to use this word frivolously but... 'yay'

-Maas

11. Re: No subject Jan 11, 2005, 12:47 Moggan

Doom was not the first. However, it was the first wildly popular one. This is due partly to the design and the implementation and partly to timing. Computer gaming was just beginning to flourish at the time and internet access was becoming more commonplace.

10. Re: No subject Jan 11, 2005, 12:12 Beamer

Doom didn't just do it first, they did it very well first.

Marathon was better, but it was later. We can find games still better, like System Shock.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: No subject Jan 11, 2005, 12:06 4D-Boxing

Wow this is Halo 0.1 ! So much stuff in Marathon has been fine tuned & developed over the years & ended up in Halo.

8. Re: Way to go Jan 11, 2005, 11:49 Undead Scottsman

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

7. Re: Way to go Jan 11, 2005, 11:34 ZigZang

The funny thing is, had Bungie released Marathon for the PC instead of the MAC, they would probably be more revered than id is in this day and age. Marathon was top of the friggen line, and surpassed doom on just about every level.

True, but id did it first and thats what matters when it comes to their place in history.

ZigZang

6. Re: Way to go Jan 11, 2005, 11:29 Undead Scottsman

The funny thing is, had Bungie released Marathon for the PC instead of the MAC, they would probably be more revered than id is in this day and age. Marathon was top of the friggen line, and surpassed doom on just about every level.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

This comment was edited on Jan 11, 11:30.

5. Re: Way to go Jan 11, 2005, 11:16 aldo_14

Thank you for your contribution.

4. Re: Way to go Jan 11, 2005, 11:12 cia

Marathon will always be associated with the MAC as it was one of the only FPS games available on that pathetic platform.

By this association it is unplayable without a feeling of nausea.

3. Way to go Jan 11, 2005, 11:05 Crunch

Yay for companies releasing their old games for free!

I hate when companies sue/threaten abandonware sites (and similaractions) for games you can't possibly buy anywhere just to "protect their IP"..

2. Re: No subject Jan 11, 2005, 11:02 PHJF

Can you say... The Underdogs?

Anyways I always liked Doom more, I guess it was for the more linear levels and general style.

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo