Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

The Mod Squads - Natural Selection: Source and Sequel

Unknown Worlds Entertainment (thanks PlanetHalf-Life Forums and Ant) has word on plans for the future of the Natural Selection modification for Half-Life and beyond. According to the update, the team is currently at work on a Source edition of the modification, and plans are also in the works for Natural Selection 2, a fully commercial project: "The game design has been started (hoo-boy, fun stuff), but this will be a full-fledged $50 (or so) retail game, not a mod. It will use a next-generation engine (like Source, Unreal Engine 3, etc.) and will take years and millions of dollars to create. This is what I'm now spending the majority of my time on."

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: No subject Jan 10, 2005, 15:14 Muscular Beaver

Hopefully they will balance it again. NS as it is right now is totally biased towards marines.
Only newbies play on alien side because they dont know yet how unbalanced this game is.
You wont have a chance on alien side, and on marine side its that easy, that it hurts.
Its really sad because the first versions were a blast.

________
I'm not... gonna... cry... you... dumb... doo-doo brain!
This comment was edited on Jan 10, 15:17.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. No subject Jan 10, 2005, 10:49 Exitium

Can you spell it?

F L O P

14. Re: No subject Jan 10, 2005, 05:12 Mr Gar

Natural Selection is my favourite game of all time. It blew my mind the first time I phased in that evening it was released. Played it to death over the next 18 months. It was made for free (give or take a few donations) and is still so far ahead of most other multiplayer games with their $1,000,000 budgets. Battlefield 2 are even adopting the commander mode idea, having finally realised a big disorganised spam fest just isnít fun.

In an interview Flayra gave some time a go he was thinking out loud about the possibility of a NS MMO one day, with the skies full of drop ships etc. Iím not saying this will be NS 2 but you can get an idea of how far he wants to take the franchise. If hundreds of generic, awful corridor shooters can get funding for their development I see no reason why he wonít get the money he needs.

13. Re: No subject Jan 10, 2005, 00:28 Protoz

Constallation of course

If they get a publisher to pick em up and fund them they'll be off to the races.

NS was my favorite 3rd party mod for HL (I love TFC more) so I can only hope for the best for these guys.

12. Re: No subject Jan 9, 2005, 23:50 sponge

I have to wonder how this team plans to get the money to license one of these next-gen engines.

11. Re: bleh Jan 9, 2005, 17:02 PHJF

Wouldn't have flopped with good publicity.

------
ďThe closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

10. bleh Jan 9, 2005, 17:00 Charlie_Six

Flayra will be the new Derek Smart we all make fun of. Had NS1 been released to retail, it would've been a massive flop, and maybe he would've learned a lesson before embarking on a multi-million dollar failure sequel.

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

9. Re: No subject Jan 9, 2005, 16:10 Igor

Those guys should definitely screw the Source engine, and go for Unreal 3. I'm all for bigger outdoor maps right now, and Source just doesn't seem to cut it.

I'm talking about StarCraft meets Natural Selection here people, think "big" :).

8. Re: No subject Jan 9, 2005, 15:55 Fantaz

I wonder if Natural Selection 2 will come out before Team Fortress 2?

7. No subject Jan 9, 2005, 15:52 Sarcasmo

I'm also glad for them, but boy it really sucks to know there's not gonna be a new Natural Selection anytime soon. (I'm assuming the source version will just be a graphical update).

I'm sure plenty of people will try to fill that void, but we'll be playing someone's attempt at recreating what the NS team has so much experience with already.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 15:53.

6. Re: Cool Jan 9, 2005, 13:43 Protoz

I would really like to see it on the new Unreal Tech that's been getting tossed around it look amazing.

5. Re: Cool Jan 9, 2005, 13:27 PHJF

Freaking screw Source, just get NS2 done ASAP. And give me a flamethrower.

------
ďThe closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

4. Cool Jan 9, 2005, 13:08 ProdigyXL

Good to hear that they are gonna make their own commercial product. Best wishes to them.

3. Re: No subject Jan 9, 2005, 12:14 Sixis

Valve is just plain stupid if it doesn't finance the creation of a retail NS mod. Put it on Steam for 20 bucks and not require HL2 and they can get (insert pejorative) Steam on even more computers!

Really, what happened to seeing talent and recruiting it?

2. Re: No subject Jan 9, 2005, 11:36 Protoz

Very good news I can't wait

1. No subject Jan 9, 2005, 11:35 Ihya

Good for the NS team. Supporting the mod from just their spare time must have been tricky. Hope it works out!

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo