Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tales of Alvin Maker MMORPG

eGenesis to Develop Alvin's World as a Multi-player Online Game (thanks IGN and Mike Martinez) has a letter from science fiction author Orson Scott Card describing plans to create an MMORPG based on his Tales of Alvin Maker series. Here's a bit on the game, which like A Tale in the Desert, eGenesis' other MMO project, will contain no combat:

Four different magic systems, plus the technology track, offer players many ways to develop their characters; the presence of Calvin, Arthur Stuart, Peggy Larner, and Alvin Maker himself will provide plenty of complications and opportunities.

Above all, this alternate version of America will have ongoing events that players can affect, changing history each time a full game is played.

The game will be by paid subscription and will be played online. It will take some time to develop it, of course, but progress reports will be made here, including graphics as they become available.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Well, I love the books, Jan 9, 2005, 12:34 Rigs

Ok, whichever. I'm wrong, you're right. I'm illogical. How dare I. I'm not going to get into a philosophical debate with you about why obscure MMOG's last longer than mainstream MMOG's. It was comment I made without really putting much thought into the actual fact of it. Maybe I should have mentioned that it was more opinion than anything, eh?

=-Rigs-=

"I still have nightmares about that cat..." - Barney, HL2

'Who am I?...I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are EVER going to see. GOD sent me.'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Well, I love the books, Jan 9, 2005, 11:15 Awesome Spume

<shrug> you can't compare how long A lasts compared to B until either A or B has stopped. When the only game you mentioned ("Evercrack") is still going strong it would be ILLOGICAL to assume that lesser known games generally outlast "mainstream" games like modern masterpiece Everquest. You can't outlast something until it stops. EQ hasn't stopped yet. (and nor has M59 or UO. But untiil they ALL do, we don't know who's outlasted who. I've played all 3, a bit. And EQ, however much I hate it, is still the best MMORPG of the bunch.

-------------------
If you're a European sign the anti-software-patents petition at:
http://petition.eurolinux.org/

11. Re: Well, I love the books, Jan 9, 2005, 09:22 Rigs

Hmm, in fact Ultima Online would be a good example to support the original poster's statement.

Actually, UO was what stuck in my mind when I made the statement, as was M59...Eve Online is not really mainstream but doesn't look like it's going to stop anytime soon...You're right, I gave nothing to backup my statement, but it certainly wasn't 'illogical'...

=-Rigs-=

'Who am I?...I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are EVER going to see. GOD sent me.'

10. Re: Well, I love the books, Jan 9, 2005, 09:17 ZzeusS

The first thing that popped into my head, reading the title, was an Alvin and the Chimpunks MMOG, like Toontown.

Forgive me.

9. Re: Well, I love the books, Jan 9, 2005, 06:59 Awesome Spume

A Tale In The Desert came years after Everquest and has already given way to ATITD2, which is haemorraging subscribers even as we speak. From a peak of about 2500 to 1500 over the space of weeks. Meridian 59 I'll sorta give you. It came a couple of years before EQ but was unavailable for a couple of years after 3DO shut it down until it got resurrected. I'm not defending EQ, just picking apart what I saw as an illogical statement made without any evidence to support it.

I just don't think at this stage you can say something more obscure than Everquest will outlast it when there's no indication that Everquest (or it's sequels if we're allowing those) is remotely close to stopping.

NOW if you were talking CRPGs then Nethack would be a good example. Hmm, in fact Ultima Online would be a good example to support the original poster's statement.

I loved OSC's fiction (particularly A PLanet Called Treason) but stopped reading at Wyrms after losing a bet. Then recently I discovered his monthly column:
http://www.ornery.org/essays/warwatch/

Yipes.

EDIT: I also love how Gothic 2 has a "look behind" key since you'll spend most of the start of the game using srategic retreats. Gonna have to replay those games soon. Shame the Night Of The Raven never made it out of Germany.

-------------------

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 07:02.

8. Re: Well, I love the books, Jan 9, 2005, 00:09 sponge

ATTID, Meridian 59

7. Re: Well, I love the books, Jan 8, 2005, 20:34 Awesome Spume

In general, it seems, that games obscure like this tend to live longer than mainstream money-makers (like Evercrack)...don't know why, maybe because cost-to-profit margin is about even, I suppose...

Care to give an example?

-------------------

6. Re: hmmmm. Jan 8, 2005, 20:24 Nexus

I think it's nice to see fairly original MMOGs being tried out, so I'm much happier to see this one than Generic Rat Killer Grind 2005.

5. Re: No subject Jan 8, 2005, 17:17 Merc248

extremely off topic, but a great post nevertheless.

i love the gothic series myself, even if the controls are extremely cumbersome.

4. No subject Jan 8, 2005, 15:58 nipsyr

Do we really need another MMORPG? Gamerankings.com for 2004 I think has 10 rpg titles listed, 7 of which are MMORPG. For PC for 2004 3 titles for single player, Sacred, Divinity, Bloodlines. I played Sacred, its ok. Played original Divinity didnt finish it. I wont be getting Bloodlines based on reviews. But 3 single player PC titles for 2004 is weak.

Currently playing Gothic II and loving it. Controls are good, its pretty well done and is 10x better than Morrowind I think. Similiar in graphics but overall better experience so far. Combat is better, and its a better single player experience to me with better NPC interactions, quests and runs great.

Boo to making MMORPGS, keep your MMORPGS I forsee me playing the original Gothic next... take that!!

-------------------------
In 50+ hours somewhere around halfway I guess I am very thorough. I have had 5 ctd's but thats it. Only thing I have found slightly annoying is when you enter a new area it sometimes loads area specific background noises or music, plus when you engage in combat it starts up intensified battle specific music files and, and of course the monsters make some noises, so when you have all three going at once, the music one of three can drag a second, but it does not interfere with combat and only happens occassionaly, not very often.

Advice:
The beginning is in way extremely hard. The beginning, the first 12 levels are like playing most RPG's on hard difficulty. Its worth it though, just stick with it.
Enable quicksave in the ini.file.
The Controls are not bad like you might read. In Gothic II you can set up easy controls similiar to other RPG's.
For example I have:
mouse for looking around (increase mouse sensitivity in the options screen to max)
w for front
s for back
A strafe left
D strafe right
Q attack left
E attack right
R focus, lock on target (but not needed)
space jump
C sneak
F look behind
Tab inventory
B character screen
L log
Shift walk
LMB for attack, interacting with objects
MMB for draw weapon
RMB for parry

Inventory is controlled by wasd, its easy. Dialogue is controled with either mouse or arrow keys. Trading is easy. The journal/log is arrow keys and LMB to close the pop up description and its all the way down or up and over. Works for me.

Early in the game a easy attack is to do a left attack followed by a right. Start next attack at end of of swing. LMB with weapon drawn is overhand attack. W plus LMB is more powerful overhand attack. You want to try to combine your attacks as best you can to increase damage per second concept. To just hit one attack and not attempt to combine them results in slower attacks, combining them makes them flow together.

As you progress in skill you get to combine more attacks in a row. Its really about timing. Plus if you like me use Gothic 2 controls you auto focus (R is a option but is not needed) on the enemy highlighted, meaning you auto pivot as he runs around you.

I think you have 2 options depending on skill level.
1) do your own combos by timing your swings correctly
2) LMB defaults to your skill level appropriate combo, for rookie its 2 consecutive swings, just time them correctly.

Anyway dont let the screams of controls scare you.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 16:29.

3. Re: Well, I love the books, Jan 8, 2005, 14:22 quazz

It's probably going to make enough money to survive, since these game are made by much smaller team without having to please publisher's financial goal.
It's not like if I'm ever going to bother with it though...
http://www.actsofgord.com/Chronicles/chapter36.html

2. Re: Well, I love the books, Jan 8, 2005, 13:04 Rigs

In general, it seems, that games obscure like this tend to live longer than mainstream money-makers (like Evercrack)...don't know why, maybe because cost-to-profit margin is about even, I suppose...

*shrugs and goes off to fix a sandwhich...mmmm, pepper turkey on rye - delicious!*

=-Rigs-=

1. Well, I love the books, Jan 8, 2005, 13:00 Hezekiah

I hope this doesn't flop. I would think a regular old RPG would work better.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo