Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More Steam Bans

The Steam Users Forums (thanks Half-Life Fallout and Voodoo Extreme) has news that another 30,000 Steam accounts have been banned for attempting to gain illegal access to games that they had not purchased. Word from Valve's Erik Johnson is:

Valve takes such activities seriously and reserves the right to disable Steam accounts engaging in piracy, cheating, illegal activities, or any other activity in violation of the Steam Subscriber Agreement. The accounts that are disabled today will not be reactivated.

View
84 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

84. Re: Dec 31, 2004, 00:46 nin

Now we all gotta chip in and buy Riley a copy.

LOL

http://tds.nin.com/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

83. Re: Dec 30, 2004, 19:47 Riley Pizt

LOL

This comment was edited on Dec 30, 19:50.

82. Re: Dec 29, 2004, 11:44 nin

Frankly I have to suck up a little. This game freakin rocks. I've been playing UT/bf42/ and now DC for a long time, and HL2 beats everything in terms of graphics and playability, but the physics are incredible. I played CS for the first time about a year ago, and found I was getting owned, but the new version does seem "slower", less spastic.

I still don't agree with the Steam concept, especially if they ever turn it into a pay-to-play, but I have to say it works fairly well for me.

Ah-HA!

I was a vocal critic of Steam of Steam also, and over a year ago, vowed I would never play HL2 if Steam was required. But I tried Steam. And it WASN'T bad. And I've never had a problem with it.

In your case, I'd hold onto your reciept. If Valve does claim your (new) serial is in use, you can fax the reciept to them, showing you bought the game (or someone bought it for you).

http://tds.nin.com/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

81. Re: Dec 29, 2004, 11:24 Big_B

Just thought I'd chime in here.

I've been a pretty vocal critic of Steam and Valve's actions, and vowed to never purchase the game. Well lo and behold a gaming buddy (unaware of my bane for Valve) went and bought hl2 for me for xmas.
When I first got the box, I realized it looked like it had been opened. I figured he had opened it to check it out. Well after installing 5 freakin cds worth of data, steam told me the key was in use. My buddy got it from Costco, so returning it was a snap. Got a new one, and used that key, and it has worked ever since (5 days so far i think).
BUT, I have gotten at least two emails notifying me that I used a cd key that was already in use, so I am a little paranoid that they would block my ip or something. It was still up last night though.

Frankly I have to suck up a little. This game freakin rocks. I've been playing UT/bf42/ and now DC for a long time, and HL2 beats everything in terms of graphics and playability, but the physics are incredible. I played CS for the first time about a year ago, and found I was getting owned, but the new version does seem "slower", less spastic.

I still don't agree with the Steam concept, especially if they ever turn it into a pay-to-play, but I have to say it works fairly well for me.

And both play really well on my amd2600/ti4200/512-3200 system. Easily ~60 fps.

80. Re: Pirates Dec 29, 2004, 07:39 Tango

hmmm
Well put

This comment was edited on Dec 29, 07:41.

79. Re: Pirates Dec 28, 2004, 21:07 AhrimaaN

hmmm

78. Re: Pirates Dec 25, 2004, 04:49 Zephalephelah

And then we all have an anniversary where it is legal to urinate in public & we go to their cemetaries & we shit & piss on their graves until there are high piles of urine & shit all over their stupid little boxes and the dirt that covers their pathetic meaningless bodies.

And then we dump dead whores and roadkill on their graves all throughout the year, except on that day when we desecrate their graves personally.

And we find out who their mother's and father's are & we chop them and gring them up & put them into little cages of meat that we feed to our chickens and cows and goats. And if they have any friends, we kill them and roll their bodies over a cliff, and if they have any pets or loved animals we fuck them up the ass with farm tools until they die & then we chop them up & feed them to the family friends before we roll their asses off a cliff.

77. Re: Pirates Dec 25, 2004, 04:43 Zephalephelah

In fact, we should just do that anyway. Not to reform them. FUck them! We aren't into the reforming business anyway. We don't care anymore. We stopped caring long, long ago.

So let's REALLY PUNISH THESE FUCKERS.

They rip some software, we catch them. We arrest them, put them on racks, and burn their flesh right to the bone. I mean we suck their meat until the bones start to rattle & enter our meat-vacuums. And we never ever stop. No matter what they say, no matter how they cry, no matter how they blame others, we just keep using our machines on them until they are dry broken bones, and even their very marrow blood is sucked dry. Then we press their bones into a little tiny box shape of ash & write on the box, FUCK YOU! I HOPE HELL IS WORSE THAN THE 24 MONTHS OF AGONY WE PUT YOU THROUGH! FUCK YOU!

76. Pirates Dec 25, 2004, 04:37 Zephalephelah

Here's a nice picture for you.

When a pirate was caught in the carribean, what do you think was done to him? Was he treated fairly, given a trial, talked to, etc.?

NOpe. And really all he was doing was taking a very, very, very small portion of the money that would go to the big corporation of the Europeon governments. It is much the same then as it is now.

What happened to them?

They would be quartered.

Do you understand what that means?

They would be tied to parts of the ship's rigging & then those riggings would be listed & the person's arms & legs would pull out of their sockets & their torso would writhe bleeding & pumping blood on the ship's deck.

That was for the captain. The rest would be forced to drown. Walk the plank. They didn't want to clean the deck for just anybody.

Being a pirate should hold the same risks. You want to steal software, you should risk the same punishment of old times. I'll even invent new punishments, such as sucking the flesh out of your arms and legs with a siphon of extremely-high power and very tiny tube. It would rip out the flesh and even the bone it would be so powerful. We would "touch" pirates with the device every month, once a month, until they were dead or completely gone. ANd we wouldn't give a fuck which one happened first.

75. Re: No subject Dec 24, 2004, 22:02 Riley Pizt

How the fuck do you think Valve won their case regarding multi user licenses for Cyber Cafe's?
For a Valve toady, I would think you would read news regarding the company a little more closely. Valve's dispute with Vivendi over distribution to cybercafes had nothing to do with EULA's (which is an end-user license agreement). It was a dispute over the distribution contract which Valve has with Vivendi. The contract expressly forbid Vivendi from granting licenses to cybercafes for Valve's software, but Vivendi chose to disregard that provision of the contract.

This comment was edited on Dec 24, 22:04.

74. Re: No subject Dec 24, 2004, 21:15 Riley Pizt

Are pirates "customers"?
No, and it is a moot question as the statement does not say "I do not like the way Valve treats those who use its products without compensation or authorization."

Valve does treat its customers poorly (at least since the migration to Steam) in relation to companies in other industries and even other software developers and publishers.

This comment was edited on Dec 24, 21:16.

73. Good Dec 24, 2004, 20:55 Zephalephelah

Instead of just banning them, they should have the FBI barge into their houses, take their computers, sue the parents, and send little Billy into a federal up-the-ass penitentiary for 50 years, and if he manages to still be alive, castrate him, poke out his eyeballs, & amputate both his arms so the little faggot bitch can never pirate again.

72. Re: Huh?... Dec 24, 2004, 14:44 anon@24.76

Dagok, as posted by several other people, only in the land of the "free" are peoples rights as restricted as you want them to be. Other places (Australia too) have laws that actually protect the people of their countries, not corporations.

71. Huh?... Dec 24, 2004, 14:14 Awesome Spume

On here, a PC gamers forum, we tend to like PC games. I'm baffled why some people here see a negative to Steam banning thieves. A real smart guy, a real smart guy with a background in speculative philosophical writing can probably gather up a background why not. But not here. It's impossible. If there were a lot of people suffering because their accounts were canceled for no reason then I can sympathise. That hasn't happened. Possibly a few accounts have been banned by mistake. I'm confident they'll be back in action soon.

In fact the only thing novel about this "news story" is that Valve have decided to take one of the most aggressive stances against thieves for as long as I can remember and are willing to go public about it. When they say they've banned people, you know they've banned people.

70. Re: No subject Dec 24, 2004, 05:51 @madeus

I'd like to clear up an important point...

Quote: "You can't bitch about the developer preventing you from doing it, when you've never been allowed to"

That is factually incorrect. You've always been able to do that with consumer software, regardless of what's in the EULA. EULA's are subservient to the existing legal framework in virtually all countries.

This means that while vendors are allowed to place certain restraints on your use and redistribution of the software they many not infringe on your statutory rights, which most western countries (i.e. in Europe and North America) includes your right to resell an item (and that does not just mean the media, but the licence that accompanies it too).

Valve do have the right to restrict access to their service, but that is quite a different matter. Equally, you have the same right to take them to court if you feel you have been treated unfairly and are due compensation. If it's transpires they are abusing their position by taking payment for goods and then revoking access to the service unduly then they will become open to prosecution by the state - the US federal government in this instance (just as they would be in any European country I would add).

It is entirely incorrect to assert you do not have the 'right' to resell consumer software. You have as much right to re-sell is as you do any item of hardware, a book, or a DVD (which of course is actually software I should not need to add). This is true whether you are reselling hardware (in the case of a computer with a pre-installed operating system license from a vendor like Dell, Gateway, Apple or Sun) or on it's own.

This topic was debated and settled before a significant segment of Blues News readers were even born, no need to drag it up again.

This comment was edited on Dec 24, 06:00.

69. Aww shaddup all of ya. Dec 24, 2004, 05:07 The Half Elf

Like watching women fight over the last pair of shoes on a sales rack.

Happy Holidays to you, your family and loved ones.

"And every time an asshat speaks, Derek Smart gets his wings"

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

68. Re: No subject Dec 24, 2004, 05:06 BoNeLeSS

I do not like the way Valve treats it's customers

Are pirates "customers"?

This comment was edited on Dec 24, 05:06.

67. No subject Dec 24, 2004, 03:55 Tim

the law is beneath me.

I can't wait for a real eugenics movement, i'm bored by short people.

66. Re: No subject Dec 24, 2004, 03:26 Kajetan

Well as the nature of BluesNews, you can and will bitch, but it doesn't mean you have a valid reason to

Same goes to you ...
I do not like the way Valve treats it's customers, you do not have a problem with that. So far so good. Then why do you have to insult everyone having a different opion?

65. Re: No subject Dec 24, 2004, 03:23 Krovven

Think you need to go back a few posts to understand the whole point about selling used software. You can't bitch about the developer preventing you from doing it, when you've never been allowed to, but the developers didn't have a means to do anything about it.

Well as the nature of BluesNews, you can and will bitch, but it doesn't mean you have a valid reason to.

----------------------------------------------------
Zero Tolerance Games Counter-Strike: Source server.
http://www.ztgames.com

84 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo