Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Bizz Buzz

Electronic Arts deal with NFL raises questions discusses whether EA's exclusive NFL deal (story) makes financial sense for the publisher. On a related note, there's another petition protesting EA's exclusivity on Petition Online. There are editorials decrying the move on the Quarter To Three Forums and Dubious Quality. Meanwhile, EA May Not Win the Battlefield is an article on the possibility that EA's DICE offer (story) will be rejected, as seen here in Swedish (thanks Staffan). But they may still... no voting has taken place yet, so this is just a Swedish rumor at this point.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: No subject Dec 17, 2004, 08:41 Kevlar

Good points as always, Creston.

I think what's important to note here is that EA at least used to make the effort of pretending to care what we, as gamers, wanted. In not only killing off their competition with this move they've also essentially told us we can go fuck ourselves because we've now got nowhere else to go for NFL goodness. They now have open season to do whatever the hell they want and they don't even have to waste their precious advertising dollars to ship even shittier titles to us.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: No subject Dec 16, 2004, 22:48 Creston

Maybe ESPN can make a NFL Europe game, I doubt it though.

They can't. NFL Europe falls under the same licensing, as do all the players (99% of which play in the regular NFL anyways).

Creston

8. Re: No subject Dec 16, 2004, 21:45 mbmonk

I cant believe it. Wow this is ranks as one of the all time lows for gamers.

WTF, what if Microsoft made this deal for NFL Fever franchise? People would be off their rocker. I know madden isnt THAT bad but ESPN was a better game and EA couldnt hack it :(... Props to VC I will be buying all the other ESPN games and I hope you make killings, until EA signs agreements for all the other Pro Sports league.

Maybe ESPN can make a NFL Europe game, I doubt it though.

7. Re: No subject Dec 16, 2004, 20:12 Creston

all someone needs to do now is start a credible rumor that EA execs peddle STEROIDS

I don't think that's even a rumor, since I believe Barry Bonds is going to be on the cover of EA Baseball 2005...

Btw, for the ultimate hilarious gag on Barry Bonds, check out the animated cartoon of the Sportsguy called "the Juice"
It's seriously funny.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/simmons/index

(the link to the cartoon is on the right)

Creston

6. Re: No subject Dec 16, 2004, 18:37 itzaaron

- EA engages in predatory monopoly licensing practices
- EA engages in slave labor working conditions

all someone needs to do now is start a credible rumor that EA execs peddle STEROIDS and we can bring this Evil Empire to it's knees!

You couldn't be farther off. EA's stockholders love predatory monopolistic practices and slave labor working conditions, and when they see the news about steroids they'll just make even more money when their customers start raging on EA's competitors as payment for their habit.

[Edit: I left out a couple letters]
This comment was edited on Dec 16, 18:39.

5. Re: No subject Dec 16, 2004, 17:41 FourPak

since it's already established:
- EA engages in predatory monopoly licensing practices
- EA engages in slave labor working conditions

all someone needs to do now is start a credible rumor that EA execs peddle STEROIDS and we can bring this Evil Empire to it's knees!

4. No subject Dec 16, 2004, 13:55 Razerious

Which is why he said it was a dream scenario

Heh

3. No subject Dec 16, 2004, 13:52 Warskull

Does EA deal for exclusive rights make sense? Of course it does, have you played EAs games? EA churns out sub-par games on a regular basis to sell to mindless masses. However this doesn't mean their sales hurts when another company puts out a very similar game, for a far better price, that is actually a good game. Pretty much Sega Sports is a competing franchise that has really been outperforming EA by a lot. With EAs development model (slave driver) they can't really compete with the Sega Sports franchise. This is especially true since sega sports is releasing their 2k5 series for $25 while EA releases their 2k5 series for $50. A lot of former EA gamers (using the word gamer loosely here) will be lured to Sega Sports and the probably won't come back. However what happens if in 2k6 their competition can't make an NFL game? Most of their lost customers looking for an NFL game will come wandering back. This move ensures EA can put out whatever the hell it wants and the general public will buy it. If you can't compete make a deal to remove your competitor from the market. If I make nails, but you make nails twice as good for half the cost I really don't have a prayer at competing with you. However if I pay the only raw materials supplier in the area a ton of money to refuse your business I make out because I now control the market. The supplier makes out because they get a large cash bonus on top of whatever I need in supplies (the market size will stay the same.) Welcome to business. The only way to really stop things like this from occuring in the video game industry would be to say "Screw you EA" and refuse to buy games from them (and additionally buy the SEGA game even though it isn't an NFL licensed football game.) There is a reason I don't buy EA games anymore (ok well a lot of reasons.)

2. No subject Dec 16, 2004, 13:22 KaptinGimpy

This post is so naive it's just adorable:

Here's the dream scenario:
1. 20,000 plus gamers sign this petition. Almost 9,000 already have--in one day--so I think this number can definitely be reached.
2. Gamespot, IGN, etc.--the corporate gaming sites--pick up on the news and post a few articles: "That's a huge respone for a petition and definitely indicates how much anger is out there in the gaming community about the licensing deal."
3. The video game industry analysts--who only read the corporate sites and spend the rest of their day trying to understand video games without actually playing them--see the posts on IGN and Gamespot.
4. The analysts then make a few dramatic quotes about a possible consumer backlash against the licensing deal and how it could affect EA's profits--and their stock price. "EA's excessive payment for the license, combined with a possible consumer backlash as already seen in a petition with the signatures of 20,000 gamers, makes it appear that EA may have stumbled. This could potentially affect unit sales and thus profits for future quarters."
5. EA's stock price goes down in reaction to the quotes from the analysts.
6. EA shits its pants.
7. Merry Christmas for everyone!

1. No subject Dec 16, 2004, 10:48 nin

Sorry, have to post this one more time:

From yesterdays PA:

I contacted EA hoping to ask them some questions regarding their recent NFL deal. I was however only able to ask one question.

Q. "How do you respond to rumors that your company is actually the fucking devil?"

A. "EA does not comment on rumors."

http://tds.nin.com/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo