Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On the DOOM Movie

There's an Open Letter to DOOM fans on HomeLAN Fed where scriptwriter explains the changes to the DOOM story for the film adaptation, responding to concerns that what story the game originally presented is being changed:

The screenplay I wrote DOES differ in a number of ways from the games. I want to be very honest and forthcoming in saying that, and I know that I won't make any friends amongst the fans of the game in doing so. But it should be mentioned that it was never the goal of anyone involved in this film, from myself and the producers to the studio to the guys at id, to make a direct film adaptation of the game(s). The thought process has always been to create an extension of the Doom universe that will give fans an interesting new take on the themes that they've come to enjoy in the game. Because let's be honest here: as far as a completely immersive and cinematic experience, we were never going to top Doom 3 anyway, and we all knew that. Instead, we have toyed with some elements of the game, and yes, I am pretty much solely responsible for that, since it was my pitch and my screenplay that got made. Let me assure you, though, that the themes and elements that you love about Doom are ALL represented strongly in the film...just with some new twists.

View
89 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

89. Same Old ... Dec 21, 2004, 00:04 SlithyTove

I'd say most peoples (including id fanboys) experience with this movie will be similar to the game ....

T = some point in the distant future years from now (the movie will be finished when its finished)

[T - 1 week] Torrent of leaked movie becomes available

[T - 6 days] Id fanboys furiously leach. Fanboys rave or waaah irrespective of actual content after watching a free rip.

[T] Movie has a broad, successful mainstream release, unaffected by the fanboys. Critics apply whatever hype they are predisposed to, irrespective of movies quality. Most early reviews give it 95%. General population doesn't care as long as the action hero of choice is in it, there are guns and the special effects are good, which they are.

[T + 2 weeks] After the hype subsides the movie catagorised as thin, without plot, a corruption of the origional IP and a blatant rip off of other better IP's but has the best special effects of any movie bar none. Movie re-scored to 75% and becomes know as another great dissapointment.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

88. Re: So I got bored...lol Dec 15, 2004, 11:09 MachineMk2

Never...post...drunk...

Wait...what am I saying?!

87. movie Dec 15, 2004, 08:32 Jim

I have almost 0% interest in seeing a DOOM movie. I'm probably not alone.

Jim

86. Re: Translation Dec 15, 2004, 05:04 Dante_uk

id will get their licensing money up-front, and I doubt they are crazy enough to invest in this thing. Todd H. will be laughing all the way to the bank.

I doubt id will be laughing much. Someone takes their game and makes a completely different film, then stick their name of it.
The fans hate it. id will get a lot of flak of this because they shouldn't have signed off for some a-hole to rewrite the whole DooM premise.

Basically I'll wait the short time span till this film turns up in the baginbin at my local supermarket.

If you're a DooM fan or even a computer games fan - Don't pay to see this film. You're only hurting the changes of Hollywood ever making a decent film based on a game. It's not really happened yet and it won't while screenwriters can change fundemental aspects and get away with it.

85. Re: No subject Dec 15, 2004, 01:00 Creston

Looks like id did not sell as many Doom3 copies as they thought they would and now are in desperate need of cash to recoup their losses

That has nothing to do with it. The IP of Doom was sold to Hollywood over a decade ago, it's just never turned into anything until now.

Creston

84. Re: So I got bored...lol Dec 15, 2004, 00:50 STATIC3D

A post that short and you had to edit it twice?

"This message was edited at Dec 15, 00:40.
This message was edited at Dec 15, 00:41."

I guess that just proves the part about the short attention span...hehe.

83. Jeez guys Dec 15, 2004, 00:48 Creston

It's a movie about a GAME.

Which means it's going to SUCK. So why all the agony? And it's good to see more morons again blaming this on the "Christian Right". Can you please castrate yourself so that you'll never have offspring? It's for the good of the global gene pool.

Thanks

Creston

82. Re: So I got bored...lol Dec 15, 2004, 00:39 MachineMk2

My attention span is shorter than that post...

...yet longer than a Doom3 storyline.

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 00:41.

81. Re: Translation Dec 15, 2004, 00:38 Camaro76

We live in a time when fundamentalist christians are in power in Washington and so making a movie that has references to "Hell" and "demons" would be a bad move politically.

Huh? For one thing, a movie with a controversial subject will sell BETTER because of the negative publicity. I'm betting most of the world's non-gamers know Doom as "that video game that those kids in Columbine used to train themselves to shoot their schoolmates". Besides, we already have movies about hell and demons (Hellraiser? The Exorcist? The Omen? South Park: The Movie?).

---------------------------------------------------
[No pixels were harmed in the making of this post.]
WWFS - What Would Freud Say?

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

80. So I got bored...lol Dec 15, 2004, 00:18 STATIC3D

I got bored and whipped this up to post on the HomeLAN site...(for some reason the spaces between paragraphs didn't come out right over there...lol).

I understand the message you are trying to convey in this letter. You are not the ONLY one responsible for the creation process involved with the DooM movie. As such, it is also understood that there are other forces at play, beyond your control, with the ability to alter the end result of what we see in movie theatres. It happens in nearly every film made, as can be seen by the many examples in behind the scenes stories, like those on many of today's DVDs. This point is completely acknowledged by pretty much every movie goer (and DooM fan).

You stated, "...it was never the goal of anyone involved in this film, from myself and the producers to the studio to the guys at id, to make a direct film adaptation of the game(s). The thought process has always been to create an extension of the Doom universe that will give fans an interesting new take on the themes that they've come to enjoy in the game." So, it is understood that "copying" the game(s) was not the intent for creating a film version of DooM.

While there are plenty of hardcore DooM fans (aka fanboys) that are going to be unhappy with nearly any changes, there are many more people that have simply played the different games of the DooM series and expect certain things (as mentioned by others who have posted on this topic) when they would go to see a film titled DooM which was (supposed) to be based upon the games. With something as pervasive (and/or popular) as the DooM series of games, these expectations cannot, or should not, be overlooked.

I do have to disagree with your statement that "No film adaptation can ever match the expectations of the original fans". Just because someone is an original fan of something, does not mean they are unable/unwilling to accept "some" changes made for a film adaptation. Little changes are, or should, be expected as not "everything" can be put on screen (nor would it originally work in some cases).

I think back to how many bad films based upon comic book characters were made in the past. Then, I think about how many good (or at least better) films based upon comic book characters have been made in the past several years. Between these two groups of films (failures/successes), one of the biggest differences (beyond better film making and techonolgy used in their creation) was their command of the original content upon which they were based. Those that failed to "live up to expectations" fell by the wayside, while those that were true to the original content were usually received better by the movie going public.

The success of modern comic book character films, with their higher quality and attention to detail (to the original subject matter), should be an indication of what movie goers want to see. This should NOT be forgotten in the creation of films based upon games, especially considering that games are MANY times more successful (i.e. profitable) than comics (not to mention the film and music industry combined). For a game series as well known and popular as DooM (with MILLIONS of copies sold), it is not likely many of the people going to see the film are unfamilar with the subject matter. There are certain expectations that go along with something like this, like I said before, that cannot, or should not, be overlooked.

You state being "solely responsible" for having "toyed with some elements of the game", yet, you seem unwilling (or more accurately "frustrated") by having to accept the burden (brunt/blame) of the negative feelings the fans of the DooM game series have based upon your initial actions (those changes present in the originally pitched screenplay). It is unrealistic to have altered those things from the beginning and not expect some backlash from DooM fans.

I am not saying you are the ONLY one responsible for the current state of the film, as you have made it clear changes were made beyond your control. However, whether you want to or not, you must accept responsibility (or at least the negativity) for the fact that your alterations ("twists") to the original content of the DooM series for this film is something that many more people than just hardcore DooM game fans are not going to like (or willingly accept). This has less to do with what each person's "version" of the DooM film in their head would be, and more to do with the certain things (expectations) of what makes DooM, DooM.

I also have to disagree with your claim to being "the greatest ally the Doom fan has had during the entire process of the film being made." It was YOUR (admitted) changes to the game elements that were made in order to get the screenplay accepted for filming. If the main goal was simply to get a film shot that carried the name DooM, then this would be understandable. However, a "true" ally (as obviously seen by the reaction of DooM fans on the internet) would have been willing to stick to as many of the original elements that defined and made the DooM games the popular success that they are still to this day.

And as for your statement that "really none of us can do anything about it at this point", you are incorrect. DooM fans can agree not to go see or rent this film. They can also tell other movie goers that may not be aware of the fact that the film they are going to see is not going to properly reflect the DooM experience they are likely to be expecting. Continued lack of support for these types of cash-in attempts by Hollywood (as well as the game industry), will cause projects like this to stop being produced.

On one hand this is a bad thing as the fewer game related movies there are, the less opportunities there are for film creators. However, on the other hand, just like modern comic book character films, this could have the ability for make Hollywood do these intellectual proprties justice (or at the very least, pay a bit more attention to detail and quality with respect to game related films).

79. Translation Dec 14, 2004, 20:45 theAntiELVIS

We live in a time when fundamentalist christians are in power in Washington and so making a movie that has references to "Hell" and "demons" would be a bad move politically.

I mean this is Hollywood we're talking about here - the people who can take any good, edgy material from another medium and turn it into pasty, inoffensive crap. If they re-made "Moby Dick" today, they would have to take out the parts with harpooning the whales to avoid conflict with animal rights nuts. The whalers would be talking the whales into making small "oil donations".

I predict this movie will be crap because Hollywood is crap. All they make is crap. Look at how they made Arnold into a kinder, gentler Terminator in the sequels.

id will get their licensing money up-front, and I doubt they are crazy enough to invest in this thing. Todd H. will be laughing all the way to the bank.

78. Re: 3 Words: Dec 14, 2004, 20:40 xx

movies made for comic and sunday funny paper characters have been around for at least 70 years. if you count western cowboy pulp fiction characters as comic book heroes than america has used these type of things since the birth of film. if you want to make doom different do what they did years ago. make it a serial. yeah its risky as hell but with a game that relieves on levels in playing it why not show it in 15 minute clips every couple weeks at the cinema during the upcoming sequels. watching a clip will feel like finishing a level. if its popular you may go see a lousy new release just to see the new installment and at about 15 minutes a clip 2 clips make a 1/2 hour tv show later on. its just a thought. it could turn into one hell of a flop but you wouldn't need much of a plot. every few weeks you got a new episode of guts and gore packed into a few minutes.

77. 3 Words: Dec 14, 2004, 20:04 Vinquus

Straight

to

Video

76. Game movies CAN be better... Dec 14, 2004, 19:45 STATIC3D

I think the biggest problem in this whole thing is the fact that over the past few years (aka FINALLY) there have actually been some comic book related movies that were able to be based upon the original content AND be decent films in their own right. Sure, there were TONS of crappy comic movies in the past. But, that was in the past, now that we have seen better, we expect better. And, when we see something that doesn't measure up, it is properly reamed by those who were looking forward to seeing it.

With that in mind, the same thing applies for game movies. Most of them had REALLY sucked...with a few exceptions (and/or guilty pleasures). However, now we all KNOW a good movie can be made from a comic book (in some cases not "that" much different than a game storyline), we WANT to see the same level of quality and attention to detail paid to "our" area of interest. When something like this DooM movie comes along that is OBVIOUSLY straying from what "made" the original content it is based upon popular (for whatever the reason), we call it like we see it...BULLSH*T. :}

How many movies have been made "based" upon books that failed to do the original content justice? Way too many to count. And, of those, how many of them have actually been popular enough to be considered "good" films in their own rights? Even less. Failing to do the original content justice gains an automatic knock from those who would have an intial interest in the property (as a film)...and spread a positive word about the project (if it were to do it justice).

Don't get me wrong, there will ALWAYS be people that find problems with ANYTHING being changed from the original content a film is based upon. But, to change the ESSENSE of what made that original content popular/interesting in the first place (to EVERYONE that originally viewed/read/played it), is a BIG mistake. The very people that supported a game are the FIRST ones willing to help a film (via good word of mouth) if it DOES do the original content justice...and vice versa (as can be seen by the numberous complaint posts in various forums about this film).

In the case of this DooM film, it's pretty obvious that they are just doing what they can to make a "movie" using the franchise of "DooM" to get people interested. If this film is anything like that travesty of a "movie" called House of the Dead (Urp, holding back the bile), it will likely (and rightfully so) fall off the radar just as quickly. I think the saddest part of this is that id is willing to let their license be bastardized JUST in order to get it on the big screen. Oh well, it's not like id has "really" ever cared much about "story" anywho... :}

75. Re: Dec 14, 2004, 19:36 Eps

In the homelan link he go's on to say this...

I don't enjoy watching a bunch of strangers bastardize my baby any more than you do, but really none of us can do anything about it at this point, so I hope that at least some of you will fret, with me, in the direction of optimism. We all have high expectations, and a lot of them won't be met, but the bottom line is the movie is going to be pretty cool.

Why bother ?

74. Re: rip-off of Dec 14, 2004, 19:13 Grandmaster Demonlord Toadeater

It won't be Resident Evil in space, it will be Resident Evil: Apocalypse in space and without Milla Jovovich. Instead you will get to watch some hairy muscle man in her place.

Btw, this is the gayest quote of the week:

Because let's be honest here: as far as a completely immersive and cinematic experience, we were never going to top Doom 3 anyway, and we all knew that.

The guy is making a movie and says the game is more cinematic!? Who hired this fool? Does he even understand the meaning of the word!?

73. Re: rip-off of Dec 14, 2004, 18:35 Valtyr

What's wrong with a guy who has no purpose blowing shit up, splattering demon brains all over the walls and stomping bloddy holes into unsusectping imps?

Oh, you can't make it PG13. And I guess making a movie that dosen't sell as well as Star Wars wouldn't even be worth being looked at.

Fuckers.

72. Re: rip-off of Dec 14, 2004, 18:28 Drax

I didn't mind the Resident Evil movie either. Hell I'll watch Milla anytime.

You and me both.

71. Re: How Can Dec 14, 2004, 17:17 Undead Scottsman

Doom3 sucks/is dark puns are more tired than Daikatana jokes.

Hell, let's bring back All Your Base while we're at it.

I may be off on this; but I read this as "I can't stand to see people make fun of my game of choice so I'll compare their jokes to things from over four years ago." Seriously; I do not see a comparison to be made here...

And for the record; Daikatana jokes NEVER get old

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

70. Re: rip-off of Dec 14, 2004, 17:14 MindTrigger

I don't think of Starship Troopers as a B movie. I enjoy the shit out of that movie for what it is. Pure Fun. I couldn't make it past the first 10 minutes of Starship Troopers 2 though. Wing Commander? Now that was just sad.

I didn't mind the Resident Evil movie either. Hell I'll watch Milla anytime.

I have a question. How come the Final Fantasy movie was so cool, but the games hardcore suck ass? lol.

---
http://www.oceas.com/SpreadFireFox

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

89 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo