Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Hamm, overslept today in spite of falling off early last night. Not sure what's up with that, it's not like I feel sick or overtired or anything. Oh well, it could have been worse; I could have been awakened by the G-Man, but I wasn't. At least I don't think I was.

"Wake up and smell the.... ashes..."

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell Abbott. Thanks ASLayerAODsk.

Links of the Day: Make your own Headcrab.
Stories of the Day: Babylon 5 Movie Starts Filming in April.
Police Dog Bites Nude Man in the Genitals. Thanks Bryan.
Jawa in Jersey.
Science!: Concussions Kept Tintin Forever Young - Study (registration required). Thanks Warren.
Getting Burned? Put on a Shirt.
Could Dry Quicksand Explain Desert Disappearances? Could aliens?
Image of the Day: Keek!
Media of the Day: F-Body Fish. Thanks ASLayerAODsk.
Follow-ups: Panel: Robot Won't Save Hubble.
Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.

View
110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

30. Pantera Dec 9, 2004, 13:39 BicycleRepairMan

That shooting was really tragic. I've never heard Damage Plan, but I did listen alot to Pantera a few years ago, "Cowboys from hell" and "Vulgar display of power" mostly.

A sad day for metal, and even for music and live performances as a whole.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: ot:Rumsfeld in Kuwait Dec 9, 2004, 13:38  Jereco 

yeah, probably that the reporter also coached everyone to cheer too...

28. Re: ot:Rumsfeld in Kuwait Dec 9, 2004, 13:34 Zathrus

Is it a huge deal cause Rumsfeld had to answer to it?

Yup. That kind of shit pretty much never happens. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of NCO's had dropped hints -- which were based on hints further up the chain of command -- that certain things shouldn't be asked. Either the soldier in question didn't get the hint, or blatantly ignored it.

And even if the soldier was "set up" to ask the question, it remains valid.

I'll give this to Bush -- he handled the White House end of it well. When asked about it, he said that if he was a soldier he'd be asking the same thing. It makes him look like the good guy, and wanting to help the troops. With that statement out there not a lot of people will be asking the next, obvious question of "so why the hell did you put them in this situation?"

Yes, the HMMWV was never designed to be armored. But we went into a war knowing full well that urban conflict would be the majority of the fighting and without a vehicle small enough to fit through most of the streets (which is why most patrols are in Hummvees -- it's small, manueverable, and armed. Just not armored.). The situation is being fixed, but it's taking an ungodly long time to do so. If it had really been a priority for the military (it wasn't) then the production line would've been taken to a larger contractor who could churn them out at several times the current rate (and yes, there is precedent for this; the original Jeep was designed by a small company. The Army picked it as the design and then told GMC to start making them, since they could not wait for the 13-ish person company to build a production line, train workers, etc.)

Edit: Oh, and I'm sure Rumsfeld was in armored vehicles. Probably a group of armored Suburbans. Implying that he shouldn't have been is assinine.
This comment was edited on Dec 9, 13:36.

27. Flash problems in Firefox.. Dec 9, 2004, 13:30 BicycleRepairMan

That f-body Fish link doesnt work in my firefox!! along with other similar sites like that.. I've tried turning of Ad-block and reinstalling flashplayer.. strangely enough some flash'es play, some dont.. does anyone have any ideas?

26. Re: ot:Rumsfeld in Kuwait Dec 9, 2004, 13:12 xXBatmanXx

Followup:

http://www.drudgereport.com/flashcp.htm

I am kind of wondering....why is this such a big deal now? This has already been all over the news. His article is dated the 9th? Well....I remeber hearing things on Fox and CNN months ago.

Is it a huge deal cause Rumsfeld had to answer to it? I guess I figured everyone already knew about this problem.

BatmanX - fka Batman
(to match all of my online gaming activites)

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

25. R.I.P. Dimebag Darrel Dec 9, 2004, 13:08 Nameless Again

I saw this and thought "Dimebag Darrell" Abbot? Man, I hope that's not the same Dimebag Darrell from Pantera.

Totally stunned. I was(am) a huge Pantera fan and really am going to be bummed when I listen to Darrel's wails and licks from now on.

"And so we pass on by
the crimson eye
of great god Mars
as we travel the universe...."

RIP - you will be sorely missed.

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 13:09.

24. Re: ot:Rumsfeld in Kuwait Dec 9, 2004, 12:58 nin

Followup:

http://www.drudgereport.com/flashcp.htm

http://tds.nin.com/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

23. R.I.P. Dimebag "Diamond" Darrel Dec 9, 2004, 12:57 Toxic_Metal

When I logged on to Blues today, I saw the link and went
"What.The.Fuck.!!!" I couldn't believe it.
What a sad, stupid thing.

What really gets me... Dimebag was the most laid back guy in the world, he just wanted to drink his booze and play his guitar. And he never bummed on the fans.

As I sit here listening to "Cemetary Gates by Pantera... I wonder what to type. A legendary guitar player.
A virtuoso. A Texas Rebel with a penchant for a "Bottle of Yager"

Dimebag Darrell Abbott. You will be missed.
R.I.P brother.

Their freedom was taken away as they crashed . . .

Their freedom was taken away as they crashed . . .
-- "So Long, and thanks for all the fish..."

22. Re: Another (groin-related) story of the Dec 9, 2004, 12:49 xXBatmanXx

Yeah, but I think my point was the scrotum vs. "lap" wording. Do thay have their scrotum as the lower-body part closest to the laptop? Why not the "lap" or "thigh area"? Scrotum? HHMMMMMMMM. Peculiar.

Well....I didn't really want to touch that one with a 10-foot pole..."if you know what I mean" (ala Whose Line is it Anyway).

Could be a sticky situation...if you know what I mean.

They probably setup a test group to see what pops up....if you know what I mean.

I wonder if the warranty covers accidental damage to your hard drive....if you know what I mean.

sorry. That bit cracks me up.

Like I said, didn't want to go there, but couldn't help it after you pushed me further down the path.

BatmanX - fka Batman

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

21. Re: Another (groin-related) story of the Dec 9, 2004, 12:42 Warhawk

"The State University of New York also reported that there is anecdotal evidence of scrotal burns from laptops."

Exactly why do guys have their scrotums (scroti ?) adjacent to their laptops?

Um, never mind.....

Although very funny Warhawk!
On a serious note, I find even the newer laptops start to "burn" my lap if I don't have something to space the lap with the laptop itself.

Yeah, but I think my point was the scrotum vs. "lap" wording. Do thay have their scrotum as the lower-body part closest to the laptop? Why not the "lap" or "thigh area"? Scrotum? HHMMMMMMMM. Peculiar.

* Warhawk *

You know what I'm going to get you next Christmas, Mom? A big wooden cross, so that every time you feel unappreciated for your sacrifices, you can climb on up and nail yourself to it.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

20. Re: Another (groin-related) story of the Dec 9, 2004, 12:31 xXBatmanXx

"The State University of New York also reported that there is anecdotal evidence of scrotal burns from laptops."

Um, never mind.....

Although very funny Warhawk!
On a serious note, I find even the newer laptops start to "burn" my lap if I don't have something to space the lap with the laptop itself. I remeber earlier versions of the IBM got damn hot underneath them. Some even had metal covers on the battery and other parts on the bottom side of the laptop.

BatmanX - fka Batman

19. Re: ot:Rumsfeld in Kuwait Dec 9, 2004, 12:29 Jim

civilians don't realize, incidents like this are NEVER E-V-E-R allowed to happen -

in Kuwait, during a speech to troops headed for Iraq, Army Spc. Thomas Wilson actually stands up and asks the Secretary of Defense of the United States:

"Why do we soldiers have to dig through local landfills for pieces of scrap metal and compromised ballistic glass to uparmor our vehicles?" A cheer arose from the approximately 2,300 soldiers present

jaw. dropping. un. fcking. believeable.
Imagine what must really be going on over there if this tiny glimpse slips out.

And oh yeah, any bets on whether Rumsfeld's vehicle was Fully armored?

Ronald McDonald Rumsfeld. He'd make a better kindergarten teacher than Secretary of Defense. The ONE member of Bush's cabinet I wanted to see resign, but unfortunately practically the only one who didn't. Runsfeld was one of the reasons I didn't vote for Bush.

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 12:31.

Jim

18. Re: Another (groin-related) story of the Dec 9, 2004, 12:11 Warhawk

Um, never mind.....

* Warhawk *

You know what I'm going to get you next Christmas, Mom? A big wooden cross, so that every time you feel unappreciated for your sacrifices, you can climb on up and nail yourself to it.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

17. Re: Another (groin-related) story of the Dec 9, 2004, 12:04 Tango

with a funny headline:
its clean)
http://www.vnunet.com/news/1159979

16. Re: This just kills me ... Dec 9, 2004, 11:45 xXBatmanXx

If there was anything positive to look back on Pantera it was Darrel and Vinnie and how much they just loved to play and continued to do so with Damageplan.
Now I can honestly say one of the best Guitar players of all time is gone.

I repect the people involved and feel for everyone's loss. It is a horrible thing to happen. Can't imagine what it would be like if I was watching Rev. Horton Heat tonight at First Ave in Minneapolis and something like that happened. Devastating.

But, with the utmost respect, (not a fan of Pantera, but do respect them for what they have done) saying "one of the best guitar players of all time" would have to be followed up with "in heavy metal". Putting him in the likes of Vaughn, Hendrix, and others, just doesn't set right with me.

/edit: Was thinking about it....how the hell did the guy get in with a gun? Every club I have been to pats you down. Espically with someone on the card that is heavy metal. I see major lawsuits on the club's future.

BatmanX - fka Batman
This comment was edited on Dec 9, 11:50.

15. ot:Rumsfeld in Kuwait Dec 9, 2004, 11:43 FourPak

civilians don't realize, incidents like this are NEVER E-V-E-R allowed to happen -

in Kuwait, during a speech to troops headed for Iraq, Army Spc. Thomas Wilson actually stands up and asks the Secretary of Defense of the United States:

"Why do we soldiers have to dig through local landfills for pieces of scrap metal and compromised ballistic glass to uparmor our vehicles?" A cheer arose from the approximately 2,300 soldiers present

jaw. dropping. un. fcking. believeable.
Imagine what must really be going on over there if this tiny glimpse slips out.

And oh yeah, any bets on whether Rumsfeld's vehicle was Fully armored?

14. Re: Quicksand Dec 9, 2004, 11:31 Beamer

I had no love for Pantera, but I had respect (didn't even have that for Damage Plan, actually.)

It's sad and strange.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. This just kills me ... Dec 9, 2004, 11:27 BFSoLo.

When Pantera broke up I was devistated.
I have all of their albums on cd and wax for collection and even had a Quake2-3 clan named after VDP.
If there was anything positive to look back on Pantera it was Darrel and Vinnie and how much they just loved to play and continued to do so with Damageplan.
Now I can honestly say one of the best Guitar players of all time is gone.
It's a F****** terrible day.

12. Re: Quicksand Dec 9, 2004, 11:25 xXBatmanXx

I don't really see how this is anything new. As a young grad student in the Mojave there were several documented case where the sands just made people "disappear". In fact a colleague's wife just vanished one morning. She just walk off by herself and was never seen again. Tragically weird.

/tin foil hat on: (whistle the X-Files theme while you read)

None of you understand! You are so blind!!!!! "She just walk off by herself and was never seen again." "Disappearances" Comeon people! There are alien abductions. Not magical sand or anything like that. Get with it! Open your eyes.

/tin foil hat off.

I digress.

BatmanX - fka Batman
This comment was edited on Dec 9, 11:26.

11. Dimebag R.I.P Dec 9, 2004, 11:21 Protoz

I heard about this and the first thing that came to mind was I am going to be playing the hell out of Cemetary Gates when I get out of classes.

He was a guitar legend and this is devastating the metal community.

The other member of Damageplan that was killed was the vocalist.

110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo