Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Hamm, overslept today in spite of falling off early last night. Not sure what's up with that, it's not like I feel sick or overtired or anything. Oh well, it could have been worse; I could have been awakened by the G-Man, but I wasn't. At least I don't think I was.

"Wake up and smell the.... ashes..."

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell Abbott. Thanks ASLayerAODsk.

Links of the Day: Make your own Headcrab.
Stories of the Day: Babylon 5 Movie Starts Filming in April.
Police Dog Bites Nude Man in the Genitals. Thanks Bryan.
Jawa in Jersey.
Science!: Concussions Kept Tintin Forever Young - Study (registration required). Thanks Warren.
Getting Burned? Put on a Shirt.
Could Dry Quicksand Explain Desert Disappearances? Could aliens?
Image of the Day: Keek!
Media of the Day: F-Body Fish. Thanks ASLayerAODsk.
Follow-ups: Panel: Robot Won't Save Hubble.
Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.

View
110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

50. Re: ot:Rumsfeld in Kuwait Dec 9, 2004, 16:26 Zathrus

Ok, I was going to reply to Warhawk's post, but I really think the denizens of Blue's would like to keep the deep political discussions away for at least four more years.

I'll just say that some of Warhawk's statements were misleading; some were on the mark. Do the research yourself and decide for yourself.

And Warhawk, you're getting an email

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: ot:Rumsfeld in Kuwait Dec 9, 2004, 16:25 Warhawk

People kill not guns is the most stupid argument that can be made.

Uh, no.

People with guns kill, you cant remove people so you have to remove the guns.

Sure you can. Make sure those convicted of serious crimes serve long sentences and are not released early. The three-strikes laws (wish it was 1 or 2 strikes though). Longer sentences for serious crimes. And that is just the punishment side. Background checks. Rehab for truly minor offences. Just a few ideas to start.

So you can remove an awful lot of folks who need to be removed from society. We just lack the will to do so and have activist courts that refuse to follow the laws on the books.

* Warhawk *

You know what I'm going to get you next Christmas, Mom? A big wooden cross, so that every time you feel unappreciated for your sacrifices, you can climb on up and nail yourself to it.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

48. Re: ot:Rumsfeld in Kuwait Dec 9, 2004, 16:24 Tango

bombings in Spain (even after they bowed and wimpered to terrorist pressures in the last election)
I agree with all your post except that bit, which is just ignorant and wrong and sounds suspiciously like a product of how that whole deal was displayed on US media. The decision was far more complex than bowing to terrorist pressure. It came down to weighing up principles vs lives, and they chose differently, perhaps, to how you personally (or America at large, or France, UK etc) would choose. It was nothing to do with wimping.

47. Re: ot:Rumsfeld in Kuwait Dec 9, 2004, 16:20 Zathrus

Ouch, didnt think I was trolling.

You were.

How many people have died 'in the heat of the moment' because a gun was handy?

I dunno. Let me know how many people have died 'in the heat of the moment' because a knife was handy. Or a blunt object. Clearly we should outlaw both sharp and blunt objects.

And don't forget to add in the number of people who were saved because someone shot and killed (or merely wounded) some deranged asshole who was going to kill someone else.

Fact of the matter is if that idiot didnt have access to a gun those people would still be alive.

Questionable. They could have merely grabbed something else that is quite capable of doing the same thing. That statement is deep in the realm of conjecture.

46. Re: ot:Rumsfeld in Kuwait Dec 9, 2004, 16:08 Yosemite Sam

My, that was a wonderful troll...

Ouch, didnt think I was trolling. Just somrthing I personally believe in, I do not think people should be able to own guns. How many people have died 'in the heat of the moment' because a gun was handy? Fact of the matter is if that idiot didnt have access to a gun those people would still be alive. People kill not guns is the most stupid argument that can be made. People with guns kill, you cant remove people so you have to remove the guns.

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

45. Re: ot:Rumsfeld in Kuwait Dec 9, 2004, 16:07 BicycleRepairMan

And your response to incidents like the repeated attacks to the WTC, international flight bombings, bombings in Spain (even after they bowed and wimpered to terrorist pressures in the last election), homicide bombings in the Middle East, and terror cells in many western countries planning/wanting to try chemical/nuke/biological/conventional attacks on civilians (among other things) would be what, exactly?

Maybe it would be to go after THE PEOPLE WHO DID IT, like Osama bin Laden, (instead of some random oil rich dictator who never made a single threat to the USA), and go into no-nonsense dialog with Saudi Arabia, where most of the terrorists seems to come from, and find out why this country seems to breed terrorism so effeciently.. just a suggestion.

44. Re: ot:Rumsfeld in Kuwait Dec 9, 2004, 15:51 Warhawk

Maybe if US society wasn't run by war mongers who have over their tenure(s) in various administrations (Reagan, Bush, Bush Jr) been responsible for the deaths of half a million people

And how many of those were weilding weapons at the time?
And liberated how many millions from dictatorships?
And won the Cold War, bringing democracy/freedoms/capitalism/NATO membership to how many countries/people?
And blaming guys like Saddam for his actions/inaction figures into your little worldview where, exactly?
And apparently you think Saddam and the Taliban belong in power as they were before we took them out/severely limited their capabilities?

The NRA is correct - People kill people, and when your #1, #2, #3... role models love, brag about, engage in, killing thousands of people with total impunity (including Americans), it should come as no surprise to you fucking mongos that your kids learn what their role models spew forth from their persons.

Our leaders are leaders, not role models. They do what they feel is necessary to protect the country and advance our interests abroad. We do not always agree with everything or every decision, but I feel that the US (as my home country) and the rest of the free world is safer with Saddam defeated and the Taliban captured or on the run.

But that is just me, I guess.

Your Great Leader, and they worship his endless lust for consequenceless bloodthirsty 21st century pirate justice. Start blaming the people, dumbfuck.

And your response to incidents like the repeated attacks to the WTC, international flight bombings, bombings in Spain (even after they bowed and wimpered to terrorist pressures in the last election), homicide bombings in the Middle East, and terror cells in many western countries planning/wanting to try chemical/nuke/biological/conventional attacks on civilians (among other things) would be what, exactly?

Harsh language?
Form a committee to study the issue?
Bow down and cry "uncle"?

C'mon, dazzle us with your brilliance and insight with an effective and foolproof plan that accomplishes the same ends.

* Warhawk *

You know what I'm going to get you next Christmas, Mom? A big wooden cross, so that every time you feel unappreciated for your sacrifices, you can climb on up and nail yourself to it.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

43. Re: Robot Won't Save Hubble. Dec 9, 2004, 15:50 Jim

Hasn't it occured to people that maybe they should contract this out to Scaled Composites instead of relying on Nasa?

The estimated extent of HSTs service life (time before critical components will need to be replaced) is roughly 3-4 years away. It is highly unlikely that Scaled will have orbital craft in operation (at least not beyond the unmanned test phase) by that time.

Jim

42. Re: ot:Rumsfeld in Kuwait Dec 9, 2004, 15:29 Moog Operator

"but what do you expect from a society that worships guns. So how many musicians have been gunned down in the US now? Shit like that dont happen up here. Guess the NRA is going to come out with the 'guns dont kill, people do' bullshit line. But hey you have to have your guns, the redcoats are a comming, dumbfucks. "
Blaming murder on guns is retarded. Maybe if US society wasn't run by war mongers who have over their tenure(s) in various administrations (Reagan, Bush, Bush Jr) been responsible for the deaths of half a million people AND acted like such murderous practice is AOK, no problem, peace is coming to (Guatemala, El Salvador, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc etc etc) earth via a Jesus train currently engineered by Geroge W himself - just maybe if justice for those murders was done to these murderous 4 time LEADERS of US society - US public would stop gunning each other down. The NRA is correct - People kill people, and when your #1, #2, #3... role models love, brag about, engage in, killing thousands of people with total impunity (including Americans), it should come as no surprise to you fucking mongos that your kids learn what their role models spew forth from their persons. Endless war trumpeted as endless peace by #1 presedent for life = Endless peace at home! With shooting liberation! Shooting Freedom! Shooting Peace!

That dude wasn't hateful, he wanted to win the hearts and minds of all the fans, and bring peace and love to whatever gay show he was at.

American society doesn't worship guns, they worship (in the Rude Pundits words) Rambo Jesus and his right hand man on Earth, George W Peace Bush - Your Great Leader, and they worship his endless lust for consequenceless bloodthirsty 21st century pirate justice. Start blaming the people, dumbfuck.

STAY RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE, GET OUT OF THAT BED AND GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR, GET OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW, RIGHT HERE: GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DONT CARE IF YOU'RE NUDE, GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DON'T CARE IF ITS FREEZING! WHERES THE DRUGS, WE KNOW YOU GOT THE DRU

STAY RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE, GET OUT OF THAT BED AND GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR, GET OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW, RIGHT HERE: GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DONT CARE IF YOU'RE NUDE, GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DON'T CARE IF ITS FREEZING! WHERES THE DRUGS, WE KNOW YOU GOT THE DRU

41. Re: ot:Rumsfeld in Kuwait Dec 9, 2004, 15:23 nin

Sad news about Dimebag, but what do you expect from a society that worships guns. So how many musicians have been gunned down in the US now? Shit like that dont happen up here. Guess the NRA is going to come out with the 'guns dont kill, people do' bullshit line. But hey you have to have your guns, the redcoats are a comming, dumbfucks.

My, that was a wonderful troll...

http://tds.nin.com/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

40. Re: Robot Won't Save Hubble. Dec 9, 2004, 15:10 Zathrus

but if you give them time & money (probably a lot less than Nasa needs), they can develop the technology to do it

That's nice. Give them all the money you want.

You must have a final solution, ready to go, by 2007. That's the earliest estimate for when the next gyro on Hubble will fail. Once that occurs the bird is (as I understand it) unrecoverable. Scaled cannot solve the numerous engineering challenges in that time frame even if they had the resources to do so -- which they don't. They're kinda busy with the whole private enterprise bit along with Virgin. And if they could solve the LEO problem then there's far more lucrative options than repairing a satellite.

NASA are the only ones who can do it. I guess, in theory, that Russia has the physical resources necessary, but they certainly don't have the money. Nor do they have the right, since it's a US satellite. Europe does not have any manned capability. The Chinese have demonstrated manned flight, but that's all it was -- a demonstration. No real capability there either.

Beyond which, there's a significant question as to the value of the Hubble anyway. Modern ground based telescopes are capable of nearly the same resolution in the visible light spectrum. The JWT, if successful, will vastly outstrip Hubble's capabilities in the infrared and near-infrared spectrum. The only thing we lose is Hubble's UV capabilities -- they cannot be replicated by earth based scopes (there's that annoying ozone layer in the way), and there are no planned space based scopes that will have anywhere near the same capability. If JWT is successful, however, I'd bet the next scope to go up will be a visible/UV one that will outstrip Hubble to the same extent as Hubble outstriped everything else when it finally started working.

Understand, I think NASA should send the shuttle to the Hubble and repair it (as well as install the two modules that are already paid for and waiting for the trip). I think the dangers alleged by NASA's top admin are vastly overblown and a bunch of bureaucratic bullshit. The panel is correct -- sending the shuttle to Hubble is no significantly greater risk than sending it to ISS. ISS is not designed for, or capable of, acting as a lifeboat for the shuttle crew. It's barely even functioning as designed.

39. Re: ot:Rumsfeld in Kuwait Dec 9, 2004, 15:06 Yosemite Sam

Sad fact is nothing changes, this was already an issue in somalia. Marines got wasted there in thier humvees and nothing has been done, why? money. Practically everything bad in the world boils down to the almighty buck. They make armoured cars but cant make an armoured humvee, ya right, fact is nobody wants to pay for it, soldiers are a dime a dozen.

Sad news about Dimebag, but what do you expect from a society that worships guns. So how many musicians have been gunned down in the US now? Shit like that dont happen up here. Guess the NRA is going to come out with the 'guns dont kill, people do' bullshit line. But hey you have to have your guns, the redcoats are a comming, dumbfucks.

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

38. Re: Quicksand Dec 9, 2004, 15:02 MrGrosser

Well, there is the Lightning Sand in the fireswamp.

And, Never get involved in a land war in Asia. Also don't forget, Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!

37. Re: Quicksand Dec 9, 2004, 14:43 xXBatmanXx

Wasn't there a scene with "dry quicksand" in Lawerence of Arabia? That was what, 40 years ago?

Well, there is the Lightning Sand in the fireswamp.

BatmanX - fka Batman
(to match all of my online gaming activites)

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

36. Re: Quicksand Dec 9, 2004, 14:29 Mr. Tact

Wasn't there a scene with "dry quicksand" in Lawerence of Arabia? That was what, 40 years ago?

The truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

35. Re: Robot Won't Save Hubble. Dec 9, 2004, 14:18 xXBatmanXx

I realize that Spaceship One couldn't do it, but if you give them time & money (probably a lot less than Nasa needs), they can develop the technology to do it. Nasa won't do it, so Europe or the private sector are our only alternatives. It's only a matter or time before private companies go beyond sub-orbital.

Nasa won't do it, because then the truth will get out that there really are aliens.....therefore, the quicksand dillema will continue! We will never know!

/left field.

BatmanX - fka Batman
(to match all of my online gaming activites)

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

34. Re: Robot Won't Save Hubble. Dec 9, 2004, 14:13 Quaternion

I realize that Spaceship One couldn't do it, but if you give them time & money (probably a lot less than Nasa needs), they can develop the technology to do it. Nasa won't do it, so Europe or the private sector are our only alternatives. It's only a matter or time before private companies go beyond sub-orbital.

33. Re: Robot Won't Save Hubble. Dec 9, 2004, 14:00 Zathrus

Hasn't it occured to people that maybe they should contract this out to Scaled Composites instead of relying on Nasa?

Presuming you're not just being sarcastic...

Let me know when they get something capable of low earth orbit (350-1400 kms). The current design is only capable of reaching approximitely 100 km, and would fail in rather spectacular fashion if you tried for much higher.

For reference, Hubble orbits at roughly 600 km. The ISS orbits at roughly 360 km. Geostationary orbit is at 35786 km.

32. Zathrus Dec 9, 2004, 13:57 Bronco

Please check your Gmail.

It's 2:00 PM - if I am to ship today I would need that email answered very quickly. Otherwise it will go tomorrow.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.com
teh m4y0r ownz a GabeN b4ckp4k
http://boards.chatbear.com/wowbng
- The House of Blue WoW Guild Message Board

-TPFKAS2S

31. Robot Won't Save Hubble. Dec 9, 2004, 13:44 Quaternion

110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo