Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Hamm, overslept today in spite of falling off early last night. Not sure what's up with that, it's not like I feel sick or overtired or anything. Oh well, it could have been worse; I could have been awakened by the G-Man, but I wasn't. At least I don't think I was.

"Wake up and smell the.... ashes..."

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell Abbott. Thanks ASLayerAODsk.

Links of the Day: Make your own Headcrab.
Stories of the Day: Babylon 5 Movie Starts Filming in April.
Police Dog Bites Nude Man in the Genitals. Thanks Bryan.
Jawa in Jersey.
Science!: Concussions Kept Tintin Forever Young - Study (registration required). Thanks Warren.
Getting Burned? Put on a Shirt.
Could Dry Quicksand Explain Desert Disappearances? Could aliens?
Image of the Day: Keek!
Media of the Day: F-Body Fish. Thanks ASLayerAODsk.
Follow-ups: Panel: Robot Won't Save Hubble.
Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.

View
110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

90. Re: ot:Rumsfeld in Kuwait Dec 10, 2004, 09:36 xXBatmanXx

My gripe with the current case is, now that the guy is dead, we have no idea WHY he did it. Don't get me wrong, I applaud whoever stopped him (I believe it was a cop, and I believe he was shot), but I wish we knew WHY this happened...

I believe he did it because Pantera broke up. Lots of reports are coming across that he was belting some Metallica verses. he was a nutbag, and therefore, sometimes it is better not to know than to know.

BatmanX - fka Batman
(to match all of my online gaming activites)

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

89. Re: guns Dec 10, 2004, 09:12 WarPig

Guns, on the other hand, are used only for killing (or, possibly, target practice, which is really just killing practice).

Killing practice? The first part of your point can be argued, but the last part... I don't know, someone else earlier said it better. This little sentence, however, is probably the stupidest post in this thread (and that's saying a lot for *any* debate on the interwebs).

-------------------------------------------------------
"Give me a Sandwich and a Douchebag and there is nothing I cannot do." ~ Lord Salisbury

GO SEAHAWKS!

88. Re: guns Dec 10, 2004, 07:58 Tango

Yes, all those things are appropriate substitues for guns in this context. What an airtight argument.
Lol.

87. Re: guns Dec 10, 2004, 07:44 MeatForce

While you're at it, lock up cars, knives, ropes, bathtubs full of water, rat poison, arsenic, nurses with large doses of drugs, and people with strong muscles, because they all have been used to kill people, too.

No need!

With the people out of the way, this evil bathtub full of water and its roving gangs of rat poison are rendered IMPOTENT!! HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAA!
Foolish bathtub.

-----
"I want my lamp back. I'm gonna need it to get out of this slimy mudhole."

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

86. Re: ot:Rumsfeld in Kuwait Dec 10, 2004, 06:44 Moonbender

Looked like caving to a terrorist threat to an awful lot of folks, though, and I still haven't seen anything concrete to dispute that idea (and you think it would have been brought up by now).
Ugh. God, you guys really have been covered in propaganda.

85. Rumsfeld Bullshit Dec 10, 2004, 04:33 Hump

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/203200_armor10.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes I dream about....cheese. Here, have a medkit"
- Half Life 2 NPC

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

84. Re: guns Dec 10, 2004, 03:50 Propagandhi

While you're at it, lock up cars, knives, ropes, bathtubs full of water, rat poison, arsenic, nurses with large doses of drugs, and people with strong muscles, because they all have been used to kill people, too.

I don't agree with you often, Warhawk, but I can usually understand where you're coming from and appreciate your logic. This little sentence, however, is probably the stupidest post in this thread (and that's saying a lot for *any* debate on the interwebs).

Every single item you listed has a legitimate primary use that does not hurt people (let alone, kill them). Guns, on the other hand, are used only for killing (or, possibly, target practice, which is really just killing practice). Just because someone wants to make guns illegal does not mean they want to make everything else that could even possibly kill a person illegal as well (that's an ugly sentence, it's late, I'm not rewriting it).

There are ways one can at least marginally justify gun ownership (aside from hunting, which real men do with a bow or a knife) but your reasoning certainly isn't one of them. Please, before you so eagerly defend your faction's doctrine take the time to stop and think. You'll look like much less of a jackass if you bother to do that.

I eat pasta!

83. Re: guns Dec 10, 2004, 01:19 JediLuke

Yes, all those things are appropriate substitues for guns in this context. What an airtight argument.

~Steve

My music: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/imjediluke/

http://stevegoldbergmusic.com

82. You KNOW I had to say it... Dec 10, 2004, 01:09 Camaro76

The F-Body Fish clip was the best Media of the Day EVER!

(I'm just a little disappointed that they used a 78-81 model...)

---------------------------------------------------
[No pixels were harmed in the making of this post.]
WWFS - What Would Freud Say?

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

81. Re: guns Dec 10, 2004, 00:35 Warhawk

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

there's always going to be some nut that gets a gun and makes others look bad because of it.

EXACTLY.

So, IOW

PEOPLE WITH GUNS KILL PEOPLE.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go lock up all the people I have lying around the house in my special storage cabinets. Horribly dangerous things. Wouldn't want them falling into the wrong hands during a burglary attempt..

* Warhawk *

You know what I'm going to get you next Christmas, Mom? A big wooden cross, so that every time you feel unappreciated for your sacrifices, you can climb on up and nail yourself to it.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

80. Re: guns Dec 9, 2004, 23:53 MeatForce

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

there's always going to be some nut that gets a gun and makes others look bad because of it.

EXACTLY.

So, IOW

PEOPLE WITH GUNS KILL PEOPLE.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go lock up all the people I have lying around the house in my special storage cabinets. Horribly dangerous things. Wouldn't want them falling into the wrong hands during a burglary attempt..

-----
"I want my lamp back. I'm gonna need it to get out of this slimy mudhole."
This comment was edited on Dec 9, 23:55.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

79. Mrow Dec 9, 2004, 22:39 Creston

While the news of the Babylon 5 movie already made me smile tremendously, the sight of Jessica Alba in some very tight spandex playing the Invisible Woman (Sue Richards) in the Fantastic Four movie just brought a big smile to my face.

Creston

78. Re: Riddick Dec 9, 2004, 19:40 Propagandhi

Awesome to hear that people are enjoying it. Not gonna pick it up until I know there aren't any control issues (never trust a port) but it looks really cool.

/crosses fingers for a demo

I eat pasta!

77. Re: ot:Rumsfeld in Kuwait Dec 9, 2004, 19:08 Zathrus

My gripe with the current case is, now that the guy is dead, we have no idea WHY he did it. Don't get me wrong, I applaud whoever stopped him (I believe it was a cop, and I believe he was shot), but I wish we knew WHY this happened...

Yes, unless he left a note we'll never know what happened. And yes, he was shot by a cop. The word "hero" is being bandied about right now in reference to the cop. The guy was holding a hostage and was (allegedly) about to kill the hostage. He'd already killed four people and wounded several others.

Buh bye.

76. Re: ot:Rumsfeld in Kuwait Dec 9, 2004, 19:05 Tango

and I still haven't seen anything concrete to dispute that idea
Well no, of course you haven't - there isn't a concrete piece of evidence other than pre-Madrid the war didn't enjoy popular support in Spain. The election was thus essentially a referendum on continuing involvement, and the people spoke. It's just simple democracy. However, this isn't why your original statement - that Spain wimped out to the terrorists - is wrong.

The point is that it is nothing to do with bowing to terrorism. They pulled out of the war in Iraq, not the War on Terror. These are two very very different wars. Spain is a big player in the War on Terror and have a lot to offer - they have been fighting Eta and other Basque terrorist groups for years, like the UK and Northern Ireland, or Indonesia and Islamic fundamentalists there. As with any nation in the democratic West, there's no escaping the War on Terror.

However, anyone that claims the war in Iraq is part of the War on Terror is not correct. Bush and Blair don't even say it is - or at least they didn't at the time. Iraq was about WMD according to them. Others (like Halsy and JoeBlow et al :)) suggest Iraq is about oil, and US interests in the middle east, so on. Still others believe it was a neo-conservative plan from the beginning, Resolution 1441 providing the necessary legal justification and 9/11 providing the political and popular springboard, despite a complete (and highly obvious) lack of connection.

It was only after the WMD thing was shown to be nonsense that Bush and Blair have started reminding us how great the world is without Saddam. Which nobody disagrees with - the notion that anyone that doesn't like the war in Iraq automatically is saying Iraq was better off before is so wrong as to be laughable. What is almost undeniable though, even by war supporters is that the war was a war of choice, not necessity (as opposed to Afghanistan). The Spanish government chose to join up, although the majority of citizens didn't want to. There was a terrorist bomb (which was terrorism, not Iraqis) which slaughtered a lot of people. The citizens, who already believed the choice the government made to sign up was the wrong one, had the chance to boot them out, and did so. All this meant was that Spain's official position came into line with their popular position.

75. Re: guns Dec 9, 2004, 18:54 Yosemite Sam

LOL no shit, guess I should have not used a pro-gun site, but it was the only one I could find in short notice. The article it pointed to did support me though. Even there stats show its areas of question (x-eastern block) that rank higher then the US, except a couple that you notice also dont have gun control.

Troll->anecdotal evidence->made up statistic->personal attack->made up statistic->anecdotal evidence->made up statistic->repeat
Arg troll again, I'm not a troll, the sun is out and ... wait... aaaaaaah it burns 'personal attack' now that I resent I have not attacked anyone here.

PS I am not saying all people who own guns are idiots. I personally have fired a gun, 22, and its fun to shoot cans and stuff. But is it worth it when it means that anyone can have a gun? Is your need to own a gun worth all the deaths that could only be done with a gun? Is your right to bear arms worth it if it means street gangs are armed to the teeth? I am not questioning the right of a responsable person to own a gun. I am stating that that right has too high a cost.

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

74. Re: guns Dec 9, 2004, 18:51 AirWreck

Summary of gun debate:

Troll->anecdotal evidence->made up statistic->personal attack->made up statistic->anecdotal evidence->made up statistic->repeat

The worst part is that neither side notices their hypocracy...

Summary of almost all debate.

73. Re: guns Dec 9, 2004, 18:29 Enahs

roll->anecdotal evidence->made up statistic->personal attack->made up statistic->anecdotal evidence->made up statistic->repeat

The worst part is that neither side notices their hypocracy...
Hey, you forgot me in that. All I have done is point out the stupidity of crap statistics and flaws in logic of why/what, ect, not actually about the debate for or against, but what people debate with!

I demand you place me in your time line, or I will get a gun and shoot you!

_____
Enahs
That’s a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know the French they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

72. Re: Riddick Dec 9, 2004, 18:24 Ihya

Riddick is an amazing game.

Tell me more, you little tease...

71. Re: guns Dec 9, 2004, 18:23 Warhawk

Well someone with a gun is not going to play by your rules and come into your 8ft zone, there going to pop you at range.

Which is very difficult to do - shoot a moving target at range in a chaotic situation - unless you've had training or practice.

the proliferation of guns would take years to clean up

Impossible. How could you keep guns from being smuggled in? Honestly, stolen and smuggled guns probably cause the majority of deaths.

Ever fired a gun? Even something like a paintball marker? Hitting things isn't as easy as it is in Quake. (For the record - I've never fired any gun more powerful than a BB rifle or a paintball marker; I'm a lousy shot with both)

I have. Grew up in the country (never hunted though - never wanted to). Liked to target shoot (BB guns, rifles and handguns since I was a kid). Little bit of trap shooting as well. Rifle and Shotgun Merit Badge in Boy Scouts. I own a Marlin .22 rifle, but it is at my folk's place and I haven't shot it in years. No military experience (those guys are probably laughing at my relatively little experience listed here ). Heck, my mom is a decent shot with a gun. Point is I grew up with guns and have respect for them, as did my friends and family, but we're not "gun nuts" because we see nothing wrong with gun ownership. I never shot anyone. Nobody I know that I grew up with shooting guns as a kid ever shot anyone. Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

EXACTLY.

If a civilian had shot last night's shooter instead of a cop, he'd be in court for quite a while with a vigilante justice case against him.

Doubtful. Probably a self-defense-type situation.

Leave it to the boys in blue instead.

Problem is, they aren't always (actually, very rarely) there when you need them. The police are great at showing up after being alerted, but are not much for prevention/immediate interdiction, at which point the damage is usually mostly done.

I do not carry a gun, but if someone wants to get a concealed weapons permit and carry, OK.

* Warhawk *

You know what I'm going to get you next Christmas, Mom? A big wooden cross, so that every time you feel unappreciated for your sacrifices, you can climb on up and nail yourself to it.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo