Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I just need to vent a little here. I ruined a keyboard with a coffee spill yesterday, and contrary to the logic that might suggest a cheap replacement was in order for an item that had suffered such a carelessness-related demise, I picked up a fancy Microsoft wireless desktop as a replacement. Now I am suffering with a couple of inconveniences using it, because they have decided that the small array of keys above the arrow keys (home, insert, etc.) needed rearranging. Specifically, the six keys are now five, and instead of being two rows and three columns, the keys are now in two columns, with the insert key removed from the mix and placed on the top row to share a key with PrtScrn and SysRq (talk about marginalized -- I guess some folks find accidentally hitting Insert as welcome as the Caps Lock). This all completely messes with my instinctive use of all these keys, and why? Because they decided the delete key needed to be twice as tall as it was for some reason. Also, the 12 function keys that are traditionally laid out in three groups of four are now four groups of three. WTF?

Nothing like a little change for change's sake. Too bad, because the keyboard has the nicest action I've ever used... but I still may have to return this. We shall see.

I guess today marks the true start of the holiday season, as the Festival of Lights begins tonight at sundown. Happy Chanukah!

Links of the Day: Seinfeld Dictionary. Yada yada yada.
Stories of the Day: Mother of the Matrix Victorious. Thanks Brandon.
Nativity Plays Boosting Tea Towel Sales.
Scientists Seek Limit on Shark Killings.
Science!: NASA Seeks Methods to Repair Shuttles in Flight. R2D2?
Science Is Eating His Dust.
Roads Gone Wild.
Media of the Day: Yiddish with Dick and Jane. Thanks RedAnt.
Gym Class. Thanks bowerbird.
Auction of the Day: 2nd-PC Natalie Realdoll type silicone doll. Thanks choke. Used?
Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.

View
102 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

42. Re: No subject Dec 7, 2004, 13:00 Shreek

The label on the back of my IBM keyboard tells me it was made somewhere in 1983. It has those clickety-clack keys with real springs underneath and it's so heavy I could stop a Rottweiler with it. It'll probably last another 20 years.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: No subject Dec 7, 2004, 12:55 HoSpanky

Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro, here. All the buttons are *mostly* where they should be, but it IS an ergo board. Picked it up cause it had 2 USB ports on it (and yeah, I actually use em) and the arrow keys weren't in the "new" configuration.

Guess they didn't sell very well, 'cause they no longer make them. The media keys never interfere with games, and there's no crazy ins/del pad wonkiness. I think I'm going to have to find someone who still has a couple in stock and buy them as backup for when this one eventually dies.

Amazing how people always feel they have to mess with something that everyone's used to.

40. Re: No subject Dec 7, 2004, 12:43 xXBatmanXx

like the standard keyboard layout myself. I'm still using a keyboard that has no windows key! Got it off a Compaq five years ago.

AMEN! I still have my Packard Bell keyboard from 1994. It has a metal back and you can hit all of the keys at the same time and they will all show up on the screen - try that with your keyboard of today!

Actually, the spacebar died and I had to take it apart and replace one of the nipples. I used the Page-Up nipple and moved it to the spacebar. Now I have a page-up that doesn't work, which is fine, but my spacebar is like new.

BatmanX - fka Batman
(to match all of my online gaming activites)

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

39. Re: Keyboard Dec 7, 2004, 12:41 Fang

Personally, my favorite keyboards are those made by Keytronics. I really like the ErgoForce keyboard they make. Its designed to use different amounts of pressure for your different fingers while typing. Makes me feel like I'm typing on air. But a standard Dell keyboard will pass for me too.

38. Re: Today is December 7th right? Dec 7, 2004, 12:36 eunichron

I guess the day doesn't live in infamy anymore.
Not true for those of us in the military. Got the day off today because I answered the question correctly during PT this morning.

37. Re: Great Keyboard Dec 7, 2004, 12:14 Frozensun

I experienced the same thing with my Microsoft keyboard. I finally got rid of it and got a cheap Memorex Spill-Proof Keyboard which I really like -- best $14 I spent. The action is good, and it's spill-proof to prevent those unfortunate coffee spills.

I second the memorex keyboard. I saw a pallet of these at compusa (when I still ventured there) and bought like 5 of them. A great keyboard, although I havn't tested the "spillproof" design yet, but in looking at it you could probably spill a couple ounces without harming it. And at only $15 bucks, it was worthy indeed.

Blue, all I can say is, what did the picture on the outside of the box look like?

36. Seinfeld Dec 7, 2004, 11:58 Duncan

Stupid Seinfeld dictionary doesn't have "Spongeworthy." The only word I looked for. Teh suk.

35. Re: Keyboard Dec 7, 2004, 11:56 cecilkorik

Also, it's getting to where plain vanilla keyboards are rare.

Fujitsu makes some excellent keyboards. As a programmer and gamer, for me there's no beating the Fujitsu 4700 series (I've got the 4725) which is a heavy, clicky keyboard similar to the Model M, though not quite so excessive. It's also very plain, with everything where it's supposed to be and no silly multimedia keys or screwed up ergonomics. They're not cheap, mine was CAD$75, but it's very worth it.

Alternately if you're on a budget or hate clicky keyboards, the 8700 series is basically the same thing but with soft keys and significantly cheaper.

34. F-keys and games ( was Re: No subject ) Dec 7, 2004, 11:31 Stin

One "gotcha" about that fix: it doesn't seem to work in games. I've applied that hack, and it works great for most applications. Soon as I get into a game (like NWN or Half-Life 2) it stops working.

It's not a problem for all games - the hack works fine for Doom3, so I'm not sure what ID is doing different then Valve. But if you're a heavy gamer, you may want to just suffer with the F-lock problem for a while

--
Stin

33. Apple pro keyboard Dec 7, 2004, 11:31 ssh

The newish apple pro keyboard is the nicest keyboard i've ever used.It's the wired one with the two usb ports on the back. The only bad thing is "windows" and alt keys being swapped around. Other than that, it's perfect. Very nice action, looks nice, sane layout.

And I don't even own a mac.

32. Re: Keyboard Dec 7, 2004, 11:29 nin

a good old fashioned keyboard with the six Insert...Page Down keys clustered together and some space between them and the arrow keys

Ah! The FreeSpace setup! Engines, Shields and Weapons all the way!

http://tds.nin.com/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

31. Re: Keyboard Dec 7, 2004, 11:26 Thunderbutt

As a coder, a good keyboard is everything to me. And for my money, a good old fashioned keyboard with the six Insert...Page Down keys clustered together and some space between them and the arrow keys - as well as a non-L shaped ENTER key - is the ultimate design. I hate all the extra crap keys and reconfigurated keypads that are out there in the stores today. They make life difficult and for no good reason. They interfere with my typing more than they help it.

Also, it's getting to where plain vanilla keyboards are rare. The other day I came across a deal on some plain Dell keyboards so I bought like a half-dozen of them. Screw the namby pamby boards, I'll take these any day.

30. No subject Dec 7, 2004, 11:21 Dante_uk

Wow MS really do what to re-write the rule books don't they.

Actually 4 blocks of 3 would have been a good idea 5/10 years ago, but it's too late to change something so basic.

The idea is the keys either side of the gap(F4/F5, F8/F9) are easier to hit so are given more common uses.

That's why a lot of old systems used either F5 or F9 as an accept key for record entry ( this is before MS-Windows ).

Now you have a completey new set of easy to hit F keys. No good for blind people to use or people using old systems that still use F5 a lot, now this key is in the middle of a block.

29. Great Keyboard Dec 7, 2004, 11:18 VogelAP

I experienced the same thing with my Microsoft keyboard. I finally got rid of it and got a cheap Memorex Spill-Proof Keyboard which I really like -- best $14 I spent. The action is good, and it's spill-proof to prevent those unfortunate coffee spills.  
-drew
www.drewvogel.com

28. Re: Today is December 7th right? Dec 7, 2004, 10:42 Halsy

Tora! Tora! Tora!

"It's not that I can't help these people. It's just I don't want to."
- Lawrence Bourne III, Volunteers

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

27. Re: lochwinnoc Dec 7, 2004, 10:25 sc4r4b

I got used to the layout pretty quick but the thing that got me was the 'F-lock' modifier. So, your F keys don't do what you expect (F2 = rename for example) until you turn this lock key on.

Was driving me absolutely nuts until I stumbled on a registry fix by some guy. It flips these keys' values at load up so - without having to press the f-lock key - they do what you expect from boot.

Here's the link - made me a mucho happier man
http://www.mvps.org/jtsang/flock.html

F-Lock sucks! Thanks for the link!

26. Re: Mother of the Matrix Dec 7, 2004, 10:25 Fang

This brings to mind my previous quote:

Spoon boy: Do not try to see a good sequel. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Spoon boy: There are no sequels.

25. Take it back! Dec 7, 2004, 10:11 indiv

Don't encourage new keyboard layouts, Blue! I have yet to find a completely normal keyboard at work, and I hate them all.

24. Re: Mother of the Matrix Dec 7, 2004, 10:10 ShockwaveRider

Sheer embarassment over the last two films maybe?

Now we know why the last two films sucked and the first film rocked... It just shows that they really had no idea how to proceed from the script of the first film, especially since they did not communicate with the script's author. Shame - one gets the feeling that the Matrix trilogy might have been something really special if they had done it right.

It's difficult to find any coverage of this story. Google News comes up with no hits at all. A general Google search for "Sophia Stewart terminator" comes up with stuff, but it's mostly on daghettotymz.com (either her site or heavily supportive of her; reads like ass anyway) and various Matrix fan sites. The article doesn't explain why she's getting Terminator royalties though.

Dunno about that, but I came across this story:

http://www.indybay.org/news/2003/10/1650666.php

This rambles a bit but the gist of it is that this fellow claims that his Terminator 3 script got filmed without credit or payment to him.

One gets the feeling that this sort of script-stealing is more the norm rather than the exception in Tinseltown...

Edited: fixed a cut-off quote.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 10:11.

23. Re: Today is December 7th right? Dec 7, 2004, 10:10 nin

I guess that really fucking horrible move with the same name

Armageddon?

<ducks>

http://tds.nin.com/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

102 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo