Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 Deathmatch & SDK Released

Steam News announces the release of Half-Life 2 deathmatch along with an updated software development kit for Valve's first-person shooter sequel. Here's the deal:

A Half-Life 2 update has been released via Steam. Please restart Steam to apply the update.

Included in this update:

Half-Life 2: Deathmatch
    • New multiplayer game featuring physics simulation system

Half-Life 2/Source SDK
    • Includes game code needed to create Half-Life 2/Source MODs
    • Ability to edit Half-Life 2 maps
    • Maya model exporter
    • 3d Studio Max model exporter source code
    • Sample MOD with vehicles

Source Updates
    • HTTP and non-HTTP map auto downloading functionality
    • Enhanced dedicated server logging capabilities
    • Various tweaks and fixes

*Also: A Half-Life 2: Deathmatch Map Making Contest has been announced. The winning entry will receive a cash prize of $5,000. Two runner up entries will receive a cash prize of $3,000.

View
103 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

43. Re: No subject Dec 1, 2004, 12:09 Warhawk

I miss my snark whoring

I miss the snarks.

Vote Snark Party 2008!

(written in Tahoma FBO Tahoma Party)

* Warhawk *

They call him the Sand Spider.
Why?
Probably because it sounds scary.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Tweaks and fixes... Dec 1, 2004, 11:52 Devster

Nice post.

On an unrelated note, I should read my .sig.

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

41. No subject Dec 1, 2004, 11:48 Protoz

This is great. I was playing a early conversion of Crossfire earlier and it was almost as fun as HL1...I miss my snark whoring

Here's to many awesome mods in the future!

40. Failed to set video mode? Dec 1, 2004, 11:46 Bucky

AH! I keep getting that error message when trying to play HL2DM, I get the VALVe splash and copyright stuff, then that error, then try again, then the error, so on and so forth. I tried forcing the game into a certain resolution, no luck.

I think I'm gonna cry.

Edit: Figured out the problem, it appears HL2DM (and HL2 for that matter) were trying to start in a mode my monitor didn't support. Forced it into safe mode, and viola, everything works again. (even after I changed the video settings).
This comment was edited on Dec 1, 12:00.

39. Re: TF Source Dec 1, 2004, 11:35 jeffmd

yea, I been wantig some team fortress for year now. :/ the team doing the UT version has been slacking off for...well years.

A source version would own, but if its anything like classic, you can keep it. I much prefer the current era/futuristic (Quake3's was great) version of tf.

38. Sample MOD? Dec 1, 2004, 11:34 Tumbler

Anyone looked at the sample MOD in the SDK? Says with vehicles, I assume that means the same ones in the game...? Or does that mean ALL the vehicles in the game! Strider tanks!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

37. Re: TF Source Dec 1, 2004, 11:32 Jaenos

I want ANY Team Fortress. Team Fortress 2; yay, TFC:Source; yay.

Just anything, I am not a huge counter strike fan so I haven't found a reason to buy HL2, other then it being Half Life 2, I just need a mp to play for it.

36. Re: Tweaks and fixes... Dec 1, 2004, 11:31 heropsycho

LOL, didn't even know there was a patch for Doom 3 because I don't play it anymore.

I have an ATI 9800 XT. I get "memory cannot be "read"" errors after about 20-30 minutes of play.

Rest of specs in case you're curious...

Athlon 3200+
1 gig PC3200
SB Audigy
120 gig hard drive with 80 gigs free

35. Re: TF Source Dec 1, 2004, 11:30 Hump

it could just be TFC, not TF2

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes I dream about....cheese. Here, have a medkit"
- Half Life 2 NPC

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

34. TF Source Dec 1, 2004, 11:16 DrEvil

This is probably photoshopped but a friend sent it to me. I certainly don't see this option on my menu.

http://www.pedsoft.com/images/tfsource.png

33. Re: Tweaks and fixes... Dec 1, 2004, 11:08 Rolphus

Valve have said that there's a problem with certain nVidia cards whereby they stutter, then performance dies, then the app crashes completely. It's apparently something Valve are doing that's cacking up the texture management code in the drivers, but they're having huge trouble isolating it you can have two seemingly identical machines, one of which has a problem, and one of which doesn't.

For the record, I don't have a nVidia card (at least, not in my main PC), and HL2's been perfectly stable for me. Stuttery as hell initially, but stable.

Also, there is a v1.1 patch for Doom 3 which was released as a beta v1.05 patch - I believe it sorts out a few multiplayer issues.

32. Re: Tweaks and fixes... Dec 1, 2004, 11:04 heropsycho

While stylistically, I don't agree with his post, the man has a point. CS : S crashes on me, HL2 crashes on me. Researched it online, nothing fixes the problem. There are thousands of people with stability problems, and have wasted time updating drivers, flashing BIOS's, toying with game settings like lowering texture and sound quality, and it's still happening. Valve hasn't said a thing about it yet. It's been a couple of weeks now. Come on Valve! (Incidentally, NO other game I have is crashing, including Doom 3, Far Cry, IL-2 Forgotten Battles Expansion, Call of Duty, everything is running perfectly BUT HL2.)

I have to point this out although HL2 is more fun to play -- I didn't have one single problem playing Doom 3, and they still haven't made a patch for it.

31. Re: Download size? Dec 1, 2004, 10:57 Elf Shot The Food

"Does anyone know how big is the download?"

About 30mb, I believe.

30. Re: More servers plz Dec 1, 2004, 10:47 terrapin

There is a God.

Been playing for a couple of hours, and it is AWESOME. I found myself chuckling out loud a few times at the sheer chaotic mayhem of it all. The two maps play somewhat differently from each other too, which is cool.

There are lots of good servers here in Oz. Be patient. Oh, and TDM is in there-- haven't played that yet, tho.

29. Re: More servers plz Dec 1, 2004, 10:45 Nemesis

The dedicated server is there, either from the Steam interface or using the standalone tool (just use the updater with hl2mp as the game type)

28. Re: More servers plz Dec 1, 2004, 10:44 vacs

No dedicated server? I guess they rushed this to get it to people. Sounds like the blast I was hoping for, too.

I imagine a dedicated server and many more maps are coming.

Sure there is a dedicated server. I'm currently installing it under linux.

27. Re: More servers plz Dec 1, 2004, 10:39 Tumbler

Pretty fun! Will have to play it more when I get home from work. Is very chaotic and fast but still a lot more fun than CS.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

26. Re: More servers plz Dec 1, 2004, 10:34 Beamer

No dedicated server? I guess they rushed this to get it to people. Sounds like the blast I was hoping for, too.

I imagine a dedicated server and many more maps are coming.

I'm now officially jealous of everyone playing HL2.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

25. More servers plz Dec 1, 2004, 10:31 BoNeLeSS

The only problem for me ATM is the lack of quality dedicated server.

This game rockc... hope we see some more maps soon

24. Download size? Dec 1, 2004, 10:28 Wolfox

Does anyone know how big is the download? I'm on dial-up, so that's relevant in my case.

103 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo