Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 Stuttering Update, SDK & Surprise Plans

Steam News offers an update on the Half-Life 2 stuttering bug, as well as promised of the release of the Half-Life 2 SDK and a "surprise" soon:

The changes in this release are directed at reducing the problem some users are experiencing with sound stuttering. The sound stuttering is not indicative of a sound problem, sound stuttering is only a symptom of texture thrashing on your video card or AGP memory. For information on how to reduce texture thrashing visit this link on our support site:

http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=280

This update will fix sound stuttering that users were experiencing that would last for longer than a few seconds during normal gameplay. This update will also eliminate this same behavior following a quicksave or autosave. There will still be a short pause while the autosave happens, but not the more drawn out stuttering behavior.

We are still investigating another performance problem on some hardware, which will manifest where the game is getting into a state where performance drops to less than 5 fps and does not recover or crashes.

Next week we will be releasing the Source SDK, along with a surprise for the community.

View
167 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

7. Re: Stolk Nov 25, 2004, 11:38 the_culture

Hmm, TFC: Source would be brilliant. However, I have a feeling that it might be an official Team Fortress 2 announcement.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. No subject Nov 25, 2004, 11:37 Tracer

Why did they have to delay a day, or at all, just to post a "fix" that is essentially just saying "turn down the settings?" I was expecting a patch or something.

5. I like surprises.... Nov 25, 2004, 11:36 Paranoid Jack

As long as it isn't some bullshit to just generate hype.

Give me TF2 as a free HL2 add-on via Steam and I will be pleasantly surprised.

So far I have had little stutter, mainly when the game saves. And I can honestly say this is the best game ever made as far as gameplay goes... and the graphics looks amazing also. That 6800 GT purchase was well justified.

4. No difference Nov 25, 2004, 11:36 Tumbler

Haven't seen much difference yet. I'm a little confused about how this update is applied. Do I have to manually tell it to update or does steam updating take care of patching this game?

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

3. Re: Stolk Nov 25, 2004, 11:31 Baudkarma

Headcrab wallpaper, maybe.  
It's the land of the brave, and the home of the free, where the less you know the better off you'll be.

2. Re: Stolk Nov 25, 2004, 11:25 Protoz

Official HL2DM? TFC: Source? I can only dream....

1. Stolk Nov 25, 2004, 11:24 Stolk

Unfortunately I have found no improvement.

167 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo