Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 Deathmatch Mod

The debut release of the Half-Life 2 Multiplayer modification is now available (thanks Planet Half-Life and elvis). The German-language site offers alpha version 1.1a (also listed as 1.01a) of this project to allow deathmatch play in the Half-Life 2 environment.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: No subject Nov 25, 2004, 09:40 Igor

Once you're at the download site there's plenty of instructions in English..

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: No subject Nov 25, 2004, 03:11 Taulin

3 or 4 times?! Rampaging through the game takes at least 10, and on average 20. That is 50 - 80 hours of play time you claim to have done, but the game has barely been out 10 days. You are either A) lying, B) Don't work or C) Don't have a significant other. I can't figure out if I should pitty you or be jelous.

21. Re: No subject Nov 25, 2004, 01:29 sc4r4b

Now that I've played HL2 through 3 or 4 times, I'm finding myself thinking, now what?

Get a life? I'm sorry... I am just envious because I have to trade sleep for game time.

20. Re: No subject Nov 24, 2004, 22:55 Propagandhi

LOL, figures it would take them months to do what someone else can do in days. LOL. How ironic.

Well, because they're a professional game company, the community expects a professional product. DM from Valve could not be shat out in a week like this buggy product..

I eat pasta!

19. Re: No subject Nov 24, 2004, 20:57 Tumbler

I have a feeling Valve will probably release an official DM and TDM modes in a few months. If people got DM working this qucikly, the groundwork was most likely laid by Valve and these guys took it and ran with it.

LOL, figures it would take them months to do what someone else can do in days. LOL. How ironic.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

18. No subject Nov 24, 2004, 20:07 WebDemon

I'd like to see deathmatch because I really don't like CS. I never have. Call me crazy because everybody seems to love it but it's never held my insterest. Now that I've played HL2 through 3 or 4 times, I'm finding myself thinking, now what?

17. HL DM Nov 24, 2004, 18:44 The Raven

Half Life DM is still played... by such a meagre handful of people it is pointless. Let me put it to you this way... they could spend 5000 man hours getting Counterstrike working in HL2, and please the MILLION or so people who play CS at least once a week, or they could spend 5000 man hours getting HL2 DM working and please the THOUSAND or so people who play HL DM.

I think the value of their decision is pretty goddamn obvious. You may disagree... but the numbers agree with valve. More people want CS:S than HL2 DM. It will be played more in the years to come. It was a BETTER INVESTMENT OF THEIR TIME.

Afterwards, I'm sure either modders or Valve will make a DM version. Just be patient. And, reguarding this release... it's unplayable. I'll wait for the real SDK to come out so that modders can make a real, working mod. This one is not worth the 2 minutes it takes to download.

Dreaming Demon, formerly Tikatt, formerly The Raven

16. Nice Nov 24, 2004, 18:30 chili pepper

bluesnews give us yet another website with no install instructions in English. brilliant!

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 18:32.

15. Re: Great, good one Valve Nov 24, 2004, 18:02 seenitall

People are still playing HL1 DM even as I type this. It's not remotely accurate to say that almost everyone ignored HL1 DM in favor of CS. They are radically different in gameplay (both are good) and it's like comparing apples to oranges as the saying goes.

HL1 had SP, MP, and TFC. HL2 is, in terms of components, a lesser game.

14. Re: Great, good one Valve Nov 24, 2004, 17:47 Awesome Spume

DangerDog hit the nail squarely on the head. It's just sad and quite frankly, lazy that Valve omitted DM; leaving it up to the "mod community".

You're wrong. They looked at what happened with HL DM and saw that everyone (ok, almost everyone) wanted to play CS and ignored their own DM effort. They probably said to themselves: why bother? And just updated Counter Strike, which by now they owned the rights to. It's not lazy, per se, it just makes sense. And having left enough of a DM mode in the game it really is left to people to decide what game they want to make and play. Most games can't do that because they don't have the outside interest but HL2 can.

Personally I spent the vast majority of my DM time playing TFC and found CS tiresome. I can understand the attraction though because it's a visceral experience. I preferred fun.

13. Re: Great, good one Valve Nov 24, 2004, 16:23 seenitall

DangerDog hit the nail squarely on the head. It's just sad and quite frankly, lazy that Valve omitted DM; leaving it up to the "mod community".

12. Re: Great, good one Valve Nov 24, 2004, 16:00 ledhead1969

Release - Quake TF: Source

'nuff said.

11. Re: Great, good one Valve Nov 24, 2004, 13:14 Adam

Bring on TF2!

10. Great, good one Valve Nov 24, 2004, 12:46 DangerDog

So now that Valve deemed deathmatch a waste of time we’ll get a ton of unofficial HL2 deathmatch mods, almost all of them half baked just to be “the first” and try to force the others to change the name of their mod.

Super gravity gun, trip mines, those pop up land mines, bug bait, and all the other weapons would make one hell of a fun multiplayer environment, not to mention vehicles on some of the larger maps. 40 million dollars for a sequel and all I got was a lousy T-shirt (XXXL). Where is the multiplayer “surprise” that was suppose to await us at release time? Everyone was speculating that it would be deathmatch, where is it?

9. Stable? Nov 24, 2004, 12:15 CrimsonPaw

I've seen a few posts on HLFallout stating that this thing is pretty unstable. Though they have the code up and running I'm seeing issues like server crashes, pings skyrocketing, people not able to connect, etc.

These guys are the first, but lets hope it gets a whole lot better.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 12:15.

~~Crim~~

8. Re: No subject Nov 24, 2004, 11:54 Gandhi

I have a feeling Valve will probably release an official DM and TDM modes in a few months. If people got DM working this qucikly, the groundwork was most likely laid by Valve and these guys took it and ran with it.

At least, I am hoping this is the case.

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

7. Re: No subject Nov 24, 2004, 11:42 sauron

That or a deathmatch mode where your main weapon was a pack of ant lions.

Or a grav gun map in an abandoned mill, with piles of sawblades sitting around.

Kittens!

6. 1.1a != 1.01a Nov 24, 2004, 11:41 Moonbender

The German-language site offers alpha version 1.1a (also listed as 1.01a) of this project

That is incorrect, both versions exist. The frontpage, roughly translated, says: "I just uploaded version 1.1a you can download it using the button it's not a full just an update and so you need version 1.01a." And yes the German version also lacks punctuation.

Of course, there seems to be a full version of 1.1a available so this is all totally irrelevant.

5. Re: No subject Nov 24, 2004, 11:19 itzaaron

in the Half-Life 2 environment.

I think I'm going to wait for Adrenaline Gamer 2, which should feature all-new levels and balance changes/additions/removals to and from the weapons. Half-Life 2's weapons, environments, and gameplay were not designed with DM in mind, so I don't expect this to be too great.

4. Grav Gun Nov 24, 2004, 11:05 Eye 4N Eye

The Grav Gun would be great for multiplayer.....You could grab an enemy and toss them between you and a team mate.....or toss a teammate up to a higher area...or be picked up to a higher area by a teammate.....

snafu

Opinions are like A**holes, everybody has one and they usually stink
(all except mine of course)

Eye 4N Eye

Opinions are like A**holes, everybody has one and they usually stink
(all except mine of course)

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo