Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I know a lot of people are completing Half-Life 2 in a single diaper-clad marathon, but I am one to savor these things, so I am playing in more moderate stretches. One of the things that helps with that is being easily distracted.... I decided to see what Half-Life: Source looks like, and quickly transitioned to being analytical about the Source translation of the game, to enjoying the nostalgia of the renewed experience, to being caught up in gameplay. I ended up playing well past the resonance cascade (I still cracked up when Barney mutterered about wanting to get his hands on the guy responsible for this), and now have a saved game to go back to. It certainly reinforces my feelings about game design... even with the Source-engine enhancements, a lot of the visuals inspire a "wow, was this really old school state-of-the-art?" kind of reaction, but as the bard said, the play's the thing, and the play is still fresh today.

Stories of the Day: Britain's unluckiest punter dies. Thanks Anthony.
Consumer group picks the year's 10 worst toys.
Experts Gather in China for Toilet Summit.
Science!: Evolution made humans marathon runners. Thanks Warren.
Shape-shifting robot shows off its moves.
Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.

View
123 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

83. Re: Half Life Nov 18, 2004, 18:20 Ray Marden

Hmm...I would say most of the things I have seen in the videos are in the game. The introductory sequence, the buggy, the hovercraft, SSSTTTTRRRRRIIIIIIDDDDDEEEEEERRR, being Daddy Ant Lion, etc.

However, as stolen from Half-Life 2: Raising the Bar, Prima's offical Half-Life 2 art book:

The Hydra
Ted Backman

The Hydra was made of luminous gelatinous flesh, with organs clearly visible. The head was part of a larger, massive colonial organism.

"The Hydra was my pet feature, a monster I wanted in from the start. We designed whole areas of the game around it. I personally spent about six months on and off getting all the movement algorithms and physics to a working state. Everyone was pretty skeptical it was even possible when I started, so I kept it pretty low profile, but once I got some early rough AI drafts up and running people would sneak one into a map and check it out and get all excited and start pushing me to hurry up and finish it. However, the closer it got to being done, the more its fatal flaw was becoming clear: it was amazingly cool to watch it fight other characters, but it was zero fun to play against in first-person. When it attacked others, as the player you could see this great big glowing giant worm snaking through the map, knocking stuff over and putting on a great show, but when it attacked you, the player, you'd just see this non-descript blob doing something vague, then you'd be dead. Cutting it was personally very painful, but I had to do it; when a design just isn't working, it just isn't working. I'd still like to see this in the Half-Life universe somewhere, maybe rethink its AI more along the lines of an Antlion."

-Ken Birdwell

Edit: Looking a few pages later, can I just say that Lou Gosset Jr. got the crappiest voice job?

Noting all typos would be due to my poor typing and not the source,
Ray MGS 3 is mine now, bee-yatches!

-----
Half-Life 2: All that and a bag of chips!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
This comment was edited on Nov 18, 18:24.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

82. Re: Half-Life: Source Nov 18, 2004, 18:19 Warhawk

This happens right at the beginning, but I thought it was absolutely great SST: The guard that drops the can on the ground and makes you pick it up.

Strange, another friend told me about this part of the game, but I never saw it.

SST:
It was at the very beginning of the game (first few minutes, before going out the front door of the train station). I didn't catch what he said at first, either, so you probably saw it but didn't catch what he said.

* Warhawk *

Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?

Certainly, you take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

81. Re: Half Life Nov 18, 2004, 17:56 OsinO

Ah Ok, I thought since it was listed under the Silver PKG, it was done. So now we will have to pay for DOD? I thought it would be available for download for free like in the original..

80. Re: Half Life Nov 18, 2004, 17:53 Enahs

Hey guys
http://img.game.net/ml/3/2/5/0/325016ss4.jpg

I never once saw anything close to that in the game!
In fact, a lot of stuff from screen shots and video was not in the game. I am beginning to think to meet the deadline they had to axe quite a bit of content from the game and go with what they had and make it mesh correct.

Just so much from screens and videos that was not in the gameÖ

_____
Enahs
Thatís a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know the French they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

79. Re: Half Life Nov 18, 2004, 17:46 xXBatmanXx

Is anyone playing Day of Defeat? I haven't heard anything about that..

So Crispy, it took you just over 2 hours to get 12% at 250kb/s?

DoD Source is not yet released.
I am under the impression it is going to be just a port like HL1 Source was. I am holding out to buy HL2, since I really only want DoD Source.

If DoD Source is just a port and not updated like CS Source, I probably won't buy HL2, as I am content with playing the original DoD everyday.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

78. Re: Half Life Nov 18, 2004, 17:24 c r i s p y

20%  
---
Chris.

77. Re: Half Life Nov 18, 2004, 17:05 Big_Bear

Is that a metal tin? I want the UK version!

Yep plus its the DVD-ROM version so need for CD swaps during installation, but its not out to the 10th of December.

http://shop.game.net/ViewProduct.aspx?cat=11142&mid=325016

76. Re: Half Life Nov 18, 2004, 17:01 Enahs

I hate having to insert the CD to start up a game.

Yes it is, I hate that kinda crap.
Glag I got it through steam.

Nutin like have a huge ass harddrive, copying cd images over to harddrive and making one click load virtual device shortcuts on desktop for those games

_____
Enahs
Thatís a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know the French they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

75. 2 cents Nov 18, 2004, 17:00 Killer Kane

while i love the game ( graphics , facial animations , gameplay...) there are still some annoying parts , as HL-1 had as well...crate stacking , loose controls , GOD DAMN FUCKING HELICOPTER IS ON MY ASS AGAIN ! , jumping puzzles , steam SUX ! , ...but the game is STILL awesome

74. Re: Half Life Nov 18, 2004, 16:56 OsinO

Is anyone playing Day of Defeat? I haven't heard anything about that..

So Crispy, it took you just over 2 hours to get 12% at 250kb/s?

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 16:58.

73. Re: Half Life Nov 18, 2004, 16:09 Catware

Having not read the EULA, I'll take your word for it that running a different .exe violates it. When I wrote the previous post I was simplistically thinking that playing a game without paying for it was illegal, but paying for a game, modifying the .exe, and playing with the modified .exe was acceptable (i.e., doing what you will with a product after you've purchased it is okay). But as you wrote, that's probably covered in the EULA and unauthorized.

I wouldn't worry about the "wrong files" issue; I'm pretty sure the hacked .exe does not connect to Steam (that's the whole point of it and thus would not report its CRC. You could keep both .exe's in your directory so the official one would still be present. Better yet, make a new HL2 directory altogether.

Best solution is for ValvE to release a patch, 'cause that CD issue is irritating. I hate having to insert the CD to start up a game.

72. Re: Nov 18, 2004, 16:04 xXBatmanXx

Half life 2 CE(US)
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx_assets/product_images/243836.jpg

Half Life 2 CE(UK)
http://img.game.net/ml/3/2/5/0/325016ps.gif

Is that a metal tin? I want the UK version!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

71. Re: Half Life Nov 18, 2004, 15:59 Zathrus

I don't think there's anything unethical about doing that

While I agree that it's not unethical, it is technically illegal. It violates the EULA and a couple of laws (all of which I think are crap as well...).

The bigger question is whether or not doing so is detectable by Steam. My guess is "yes" -- they certainly know what every file should "look" like (whether that's a byte by byte comparison, a CRC32, an MD5, or some other algorithm), and any file that "looks" wrong could be noted and replaced -- if you're in online mode at least.

They could even know what certain "wrong" files look like -- so they'd know that you were running a hack. And under the EULA they reserve the right to remove your ability to play the game in such a circumstance.

And yeah, I'm probably being overly paranoid here. But I'd really be pissed off if that happened... regardless of who was ethically, technically, or legally right or wrong.

70. Re: Half Life Nov 18, 2004, 15:57 c r i s p y

12%  
---
Chris.

69. Re: Half Life Nov 18, 2004, 15:43 Catware

Well, you've obviously bought and paid for the game. If you don't want to have to put the CD in every time (I agree, that's very dumb if you're in online mode) you could download just the cracked .exe that bypasses it. I don't think there's anything unethical about doing that. I don't know if there are any other restrictions (I have the Steam purchased version).

68. Re: Half Life Nov 18, 2004, 15:16 Zathrus

But reports suggest the CD is required in the drive to play the game, just like any other store-bought game.

To reiterate an earlier post today:

I can verify that. Have to put in the damn CD if I want to play HL2. Even though Steam is in online mode.

Stupid.

67. Re: Half Life Nov 18, 2004, 15:08 Catware

Ahhh, okay

66. Re: Half Life Nov 18, 2004, 15:05 nin

What are you talking about? On Saturday I signed up with Steam, pre-downloaded the HL2 package (took ~15 hours), and then on Monday entered the registration code. On Tuesday started the unlock, took a shower, and it was done unlocking when I got out.

It's my understanding that preloading stopped @ 12AM PST on Tuesday, when HL2 was unlocked...

http://www.placeboworld.co.uk

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

65. Re: Half Life Nov 18, 2004, 14:38 Gandhi

As for the other thing, how will they validate it if you have set the game to play offline? Without an internet connection? This theory will only work with the online-bought packages ofcourse since they do not need a CD in the drive..

I purchased off Steam, so cannot verify for sure. But reports suggest the CD is required in the drive to play the game, just like any other store-bought game. You do have to validate online everytime you install the game, regardless of whether you install off steam or through a CD.

If you purchase off Steam, I think it is set so that only one computer at any one time can be playing that particular copy of the game.

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

64. Re: Half Life Nov 18, 2004, 14:27 OsinO

"Steam has an "offline mode," in which any game that is fully updated can be played even when you're not connected to the Internet.

To use this mode, you must "exit" from Steam, do NOT use the "exit and logout" option."

Ah ok I think I got it figured out. In order to play offline you close the program but stay logged in on your steam account. So even if you disconnect your internet connection to the "Steam people" you are still considered logged in.

So based on a 250kb/s download, how long does it download say a Silver Pkg?

123 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo