Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Half-Life 2

As noted on Steam News Half-Life 2 is now officially available at retail stores throughout North America. Though Valve's highly anticipated sequel has been available early at some over-caffeinated stores (story), the online activation process is now underway, and copies of the game purchased at stores or online via Steam can now be unlocked by restarting Steam:

Half-Life 2 is available now for purchase and to play. Those who pre-purchased their copy via Steam may access the game by restarting Steam, then double-clicking on the Half-Life 2 icon in their Steam Games directory. To purchase your copy via Steam, get Steam now.

We hope you enjoy it!

View
535 Replies. 27 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

135. Re: Performance Nov 16, 2004, 14:57 John

I'm running it on a 1700+ with a GF3... It runs better than Doom3....

Cool! That's good to hear. This is good news for HL2 and Bloodlines.. both of which I will probably have to wait until my winter break to play though.. Maybe I'll get one and squeeze some play time in over the Thanksgiving break.

This space is available for rent
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

134. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2004, 14:55 fujiJuice

Vampire should appeal to the... "upper class" gamers, if you will. People seeking games with... *substance*. Meaning. Depth. Something not quite as stale as the traditional FPS title. Surely this is not hard to understand?

Surely no it isn't, but that doesn't make it true. To suggest that those who play Vampire are more mature and intelligent then those who play Half-Life 2 is laughable.

Is it possible Vampire is a better game? Of course. Might it be more difficult and require more thinking? Absolutely. However proposing some sort of Gaming Class System based on who playes what, is complete nonsense and probably one of the more ridiculous things I've read online.

133. A thought about addons and such... Nov 16, 2004, 14:52 xXBatmanXx

for the plane jane version of HL2.

Has anyone come across anything that says how much DoD:Source will be?

I am not very inclined to purchase all of the other garbage just so I can have DoD:S

I have decided I will not buy the game until the other information is fleshed out. I am sure I can wait, the reviews are mixed and only seem to be first impressions. As I am excited to play the game, I have many other titles to keep me busy.

I just don't want to throw away so much money on a game I will play 1 maybe 2 times in the next 4 years. I don't see it being any different than HL1 - which was played 2x. Once when it came out, and once recently.

I actually would pay 29.99 just for DoD:Source.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

132. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2004, 14:52 Gandhi

Do the stores also have Vampire in stock? That's all I'm asking!

I saw pre-order boxes this weekend, but not actual game boxes. Troika may have a good record of games, but based on screen shots and vids (that typically emphasize bouncing tits on vampire strippers), I am going to wait for a demo before I pull the trigger on Vampire, no matter how high-brow some fanbois claim it to be.

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

131. Re: Performance Nov 16, 2004, 14:49 Jensen

I'm running it on a 1700+ with a GF3... It runs better than Doom3....

The GF3 doesn't support the reflective/refractive water and effects though,

The Far Cry demo had much better support for GF3 level shaders.

130. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2004, 14:47 Bozar

Am I the only one who expects Bloodlines to be much the same as Redemption -- an ambitious yet ultimately disappointing game, pock-marked by the occasional moment of brilliance, much corny dialogue, and the ubiquitous women with rubber jubblies?

I would be suprised if it was anywhere near the same kind of game - it is being done by a different developer, Troika, who is simply the best RPG maker right now. Honorable mention goes to Bioware, but Arcanum and Fallout were absolute masterpieces. Add that to the source engine, and the amazing background of White Wolf games, and you wonder why we're so excited? This isn't some pissing match between HL2 and Bloodlines because one is an RPG and the other is an FPS. I'm gunna end up switching between them to play depending on how I feel, which is something I never normally do. But I still want to know if it is out! I know people have gone to retail stores to pick up their copy of HL2. Do the stores also have Vampire in stock? That's all I'm asking!

129. Re: wow..... Nov 16, 2004, 14:45 MindTrigger

I have to agree with the people who are loving the game. last night I only played for about 2 and a half hours, but I was pretty much blown away. The game is incredible, and the detail work is nothing short of awe inspiring.

There are 1000 things I could tell you about HL2 that I just love, but the most important thing to me is that the gameplay is so dynamic that you can usually solve a "situation" in multiple ways. You can tell how "programmed" we all are by stale, linear games of the past, because I would solve many situations with pure firepower. Afterward I would look around and notice that I could have used elements in the game world to more efficiently take the enemy out. Now I'm looking for this stuff in the game rather than just using pure firepower, and it's simply awesome.

I've always been a huge id software fan, but Valve leaves DOOM 3 in the dust when it comes to gameplay. Frankly, I like the look and feel of City 17 much better than the "plastic" looking Mars of DOOM 3 too.

Valve, you really did it. Source engine is world class. I can only drool when I think about the mods and games that will come from Source in the coming years.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

128. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2004, 14:37 Geese

This is so relevant to Half Life 2. How about writing a book, so your long winded, POINTLESS and off topic rant could surely be appreciated by more people than Blues News readers.

And flaming is *on* topic? (note - irony alert...yes, I intend to do a flame myself in a minute) While the comment on Halo 2 might not be directly related to the thread title, it absolutely fell in place with a digression that was discussing comparisons of HL2 and Halo2.

Just my opinion, but I fail to see how his one post out of 120+ ruined your thread-reading experience. BTW - nice use of quoting his ENTIRE post.

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio!
http://www.opieandanthony.com
http://www.xmradio.com

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio Channel 202

127. TOO MANY GAMES! Nov 16, 2004, 14:36 heroin

Man since I started gaming in around 1988 I've never seen this amount of great games released around the same time period.

It's a shame that I'll have to postpone Vampire Bloodlines until December or January. I'm actually looking forward to the actual gameplay in Vampires than I am in Half-life 2, but considering HL2 ships with Counter-strike and steam is so secure, and then think of all of the mods. I just have to buy HL2 first.

I really don't understand where the PR people are at with Troika. Why didn't they ship a demo, or leak the game before HL2 came out to hype it? It may be totally lost under this behemoth.

And now Pirates comes out?! ARGHH! I can't afford all of these. Well at least I won't be getting another computer for a while so I can bask in this time period in games for a while.

126. Re: FIRST POST Nov 16, 2004, 14:36 nin

USA - Record number of dial up subscribers signed up today, in a freak event that Half Life 2 was released so so they could play it because of the "Steam Login" requirement.

Your first day on the internet, huh? This must be very exciting for you!

The problem with your theory is that if someone had a computer and NO net access, they'd buy it JUST for one game. Not for email, not for surfing the web, not for patching other games - no, just for HL2. That's brilliant!

http://www.placeboworld.co.uk
This comment was edited on Nov 16, 14:38.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

125. wow..... Nov 16, 2004, 14:33 xXBatmanXx

What a plethora of users posting. It isn't the same 10-12 people posting over and over. This is bringing out more of a variety of people than the political threads of earlier this month.

I am skeptical now if I am going to pit it up on the way home. I still play DoD everyday, and since it is not ready, once I am done with HL2, I really have no need for the game.

The wait once again starts.........

/wanting DoD:Source

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

124. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2004, 14:32 sinner's saint

"Apparently I like multiple posts...

Halo 2 was ok. My biggest complaint is that it's a console game, yet really neglects party gaming. Sure, you have 4 player splitscreen, but the maps are too huge for 1 on 1, 2 on 1 or 2 on 2. It's mostly pointless to try. And sure, you can play online with 4 people, but it isn't too much fun to be gunned down by people you don't see because you have a quarter of a screen and they have a full one. The lack of bots is such an enormous letdown I don't know where to begin. I still think Perfect Dark was more fun.

Halo 2 does destroy Killzone, though, and I enjoy it more than GTA:SA because the control in GTA got very tiring very quickly. Overall, though, I think the multiplayer is just bad and single player can't compare to many PC games.

Live is meaningless to me. I'm not a fan of using the gamepad over the mouse and keyboard, and will usually only sacrifice it to have people on the couch next to me. If I'm playing faceless opponents I'd rather it be on the PC."

This is so relevant to Half Life 2. How about writing a book, so your long winded, POINTLESS and off topic rant could surely be appreciated by more people than Blues News readers.

123. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2004, 14:27 Gandhi

It's more anticipated if you are a semi-mature person with a brain and good taste in games

Not to sound like a troll, but from the screenies and vids I have seen thus far on Vampire remind me more of Leisure Suit Larry than some high-brow RPG.

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

122. Re: FIRST POST Nov 16, 2004, 14:27 voxel

I bet all your asses that said you wouldn't play HL2 because it required steam or because of all the delays started playing it at 12:01am this morning.

You are a bunch of hypocrytical ass-kiddies.

*In other news*

USA - Record number of dial up subscribers signed up today, in a freak event that Half Life 2 was released so so they could play it because of the "Steam Login" requirement.

121. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2004, 14:27 MeatForce

Two trolls don't make a right fellas.

You would know, considering you've been out-trolling them by a 2:1 ratio in here..

Am I the only one who expects Bloodlines to be much the same as Redemption -- an ambitious yet ultimately disappointing game, pock-marked by the occasional moment of brilliance, much corny dialogue, and the ubiquitous women with rubber jubblies? I'll still be playing it, but where's the evidence that it's going to be TBGE!!!!1111 coming from?

(OTOH, I had about 25 minutes of fully-engrossing play time on HL2 before work this morning, and spent pretty much all of it throwing a paint can at a group of Combines and then running away... so it's possible that I just might not be 'upper class' enough to get it )

-----
"I want my lamp back. I'm gonna need it to get out of this slimy mudhole."

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

120. Re: Performance Nov 16, 2004, 14:26 Bad Dos

HL2 will run fine on a GF4 4200.

119. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2004, 14:10 Geese

Sure, you have 4 player splitscreen, but the maps are too huge for 1 on 1, 2 on 1 or 2 on 2. It's mostly pointless to try.

I know it's only one map, but Midship is quite adequate for 1 vs 1.

And sure, you can play online with 4 people, but it isn't too much fun to be gunned down by people you don't see because you have a quarter of a screen and they have a full one.

Agreed

The lack of bots is such an enormous letdown I don't know where to begin

I wouldn't so much call it 'enormous' (for me) - but yes, bots would be appreciated - but then again, not every PC FPS has bots either...

Live is meaningless to me. I'm not a fan of using the gamepad over the mouse and keyboard

You know, I used to be the same way. I was a hardcore PC FPS only / mouse-kb user. I will never argue that the gamepad is superior to the kb/m combo....but in the past 2 years I have managed to adapt to using the gamepad, and achieved a level that I feel quite comfortable with. I definitely don't like it OVER the kb/m, but I also dont mind using it either. It was an acquired taste, however. I forced myself to play and finish Halo 1 and a few other console FPS to get the hang of it. Now I'm glad I did, because I know I enjoy Halo 2 a LOT more because of it.

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio!

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio Channel 202

118. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2004, 14:02 Beamer

Whether the "depth" of Vampires is "upper-class" or not remains to be determined.

The videos released make it look much more juvenile than HL2. I don't mean just in character models, I mean in dialogue, plot and action. It looks much lower brow.

Depth in gameplay does not make a game upper-class or mature. If the game is still mostly sex and fecal jokes it is not mature. I was all for Vampires until I saw the videos, those left me questioning the direction, though I imagine they're just poor video choices.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

117. Performance Nov 16, 2004, 13:59 John

Well, I don't care how the game is, because I will get it either way, but I would like to know how it performs. How does it run compared to Doom3? What about people that still have GF4s?

I can't afford a vid upgrade now, so I hope it runs fine on my 4200. Hmm, maybe I can get a new one for Christmas..

This space is available for rent

116. First Impressions!!!! Nov 16, 2004, 13:59 Yuzzem

WOW! Amazing. I am stunned by the amount of detail and art work that went into this game. ID should take Notes what Valve does when it makes Sequals to games. ID couldn't Get Doom 3 out of Mars where Valve Takes Half-life 2 to a whole new world- Out of the Labs and into the city streets. The Physics are amazing- The game Play and puzzles and Physics are fun an intuitive. The game simply makes u want more and more as u go on. Best Part of the game so far is when you get the crow-bar for the first time- and the music pumps up and ur thrown into a run of ur life non-stop action fun fest. Okay SO yeah the game is a bit scripted- but its alot more fun then Run and Gun Doom 3. So Far I think Half-Life 2 deserves game of the year for the PC - Runner up has to be FarCry...

535 Replies. 27 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo