Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Half-Life 2

As noted on Steam News Half-Life 2 is now officially available at retail stores throughout North America. Though Valve's highly anticipated sequel has been available early at some over-caffeinated stores (story), the online activation process is now underway, and copies of the game purchased at stores or online via Steam can now be unlocked by restarting Steam:

Half-Life 2 is available now for purchase and to play. Those who pre-purchased their copy via Steam may access the game by restarting Steam, then double-clicking on the Half-Life 2 icon in their Steam Games directory. To purchase your copy via Steam, get Steam now.

We hope you enjoy it!

View
535 Replies. 27 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

295. Re: Had NO PROBLEMS whatsoever Nov 16, 2004, 18:47 MMORPGHoD

I think the fuss is about people who are trying to connect for the first time... now. You have your temp steam ticket.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

294. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2004, 18:46 heroin

Beamer: I work in the punk rock industry. I've listened to mostly hardcore my entire life. I wasn't comparing HL2 to punk, I was comparing the fact that with Steam type applications that small developers could go the full extent without a major publisher. That's punk rock. Most of the bands I used to listen to were run by one other person as well... it's not something amazing, it's a known fact in the underground.

293. Re: Had NO PROBLEMS whatsoever Nov 16, 2004, 18:46 jm0ris0n

try and log into your steam account right now, and then you'll experience our pain !

292. Had NO PROBLEMS whatsoever Nov 16, 2004, 18:45 Wildone

Preloaded last week, connected this morning it took about 10 mins to unlock and was able to play no problem, whats all the fuss about.

291. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2004, 18:44 MapleBob

Sued on what grounds? Give me one legal claim you have. Anything. Just one. C'mon, I'm a lawyer, I can tell you how valid it is compared to your EULA.

On the grounds that I paid money to play Half-Life 2 not Steam.

As for the EULA, I never read those, I've already paid my money by the time I see it and so, why the fuck waste time reading it?

Beside, lawyers sue doctors for no reason all the time. I'm not a lawyer but my understanding is that in the U.S. anybody can sue anybody for any reason.

I would sue for bait and switch, I paid for Half-Life 2, not Steam. Even after all this bitching I still have no idea what steam is and I could care less.

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 18:46.

290. Que? Nov 16, 2004, 18:40 Bunko

This is the second most incoherent thread I've ever had in my pants!

http://citizenb.com/ - Shameless website plug.
Some men get the world. Others get ex-hookers and a trip to Arizona.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

289. Re: cd-key Nov 16, 2004, 18:40 Protoz

Mine worked fine but steam forgot my username for about 10 min when it couldn't connect to steam

the key is 5 segments long

I almost put in the 6th segment next to the half-Life 2 text

288. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2004, 18:39 Beamer

Sued on what grounds? Give me one legal claim you have. Anything. Just one. C'mon, I'm a lawyer, I can tell you how valid it is compared to your EULA.

Really funny that people want to play the game so badly they think Valve deserves to be destroyed.
Very funny to compare it to punk rock, too. I listen to hardcore mostly. The bands I listen to are on labels run by one guy. Know what? It can't be compared to the gaming industry, at all. No connection.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

287. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2004, 18:39 MMORPGHoD

So, after I unlock the fucking game, do I ever have to deal with Steam again?

I'm afraid so Bob. You get a temporary license to play, but it expires after a while. It is possible for the servers to go down and for this to happen all over again.

286. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2004, 18:36 MapleBob

Last year, in anticipation of Gabe Newell's lie, I bought an Alienware computer which came in August. On September 1, I prepaid for the game.

As I told the stupid fucks at Valve in yet another profane laden missive, my money trumps their bullshit.

Its my machine and my game, I paid for both. I better not have to rely on the steam network being up to play it whenever I want.

Well, I guess it's already happened that I couldn't play the goddamned piece of crap when I want, but this NAMBLA-ites better fix it.

I really, really, really, really hate them.

And they should be sued into dirt. Bad dirt that can't even grow weeds.

285. cd-key Nov 16, 2004, 18:34 R-o-D

has ANYONE got the store bought ver. to work?

went through this steam account bull for 2 hours, and now it says my cd-key isn't valid...
is the format at the bottom of the product reg. wizard correct?
mine looks nothing like theirs

284. Re: Awesome - Guess I'm Lucky Nov 16, 2004, 18:32 MapleBob

So, after I unlock the fucking game, do I ever have to deal with Steam again? I'd better not have to, and they'd better not preload anything onto my machine w/o my permission.

283. No subject Nov 16, 2004, 18:31 Rain

Anyone have a auto retry on entering your steam password.  

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae..."
------------------------------------------------

282. Re: LOL Nov 16, 2004, 18:30 ZzeusS

Anyone found a hack for this bullshit? I've been trying to play my new pc game for the last two and a half hours.

Wonder if I should box it up and get Masquerade tomorrow?

281. No subject Nov 16, 2004, 18:28 Rain

It will break 500 easily.  

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae..."
------------------------------------------------

280. LOL Nov 16, 2004, 18:23 Tumbler

To have Steam say "Your subscription to Half-Life 2 Retail Collectors has not been completed...However you can play Half-Life 2 Retail Collectors in the meantime..."
At which point I'm taken to a download dialouge!?
Ok... then it tells me I can't because the servers are busy.

I got this same message when I tried the first 2 times. On the third time I told it to install the SDK as well and it worked? Go figure.

LOL, that was the biggest slap in the face of all. Seems like you're done with this hassel, then whoops no, sorry, still can't play. Felt like someone at Valve/Vivendi wanted ppl to be able to play the retail version temporarily even if servers were down but at the last minute changed their mind.

Feeling really foolish for not buying it online. Much less BS to deal with. Can't wait till the no CD patch comes out. It's like having to play an MMORPG with the disc... makes no sense.

[Update]
WOW, 14 pages, 280 posts. Will we break 500? I think it's possible!

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 18:25.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

279. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2004, 18:23 Bearkyn

Have had it streamed for a few weeks now. Got on last night, unlocked within 10mins... played for 5 hours. Now need sleep.

Absolutely brilliant so far. I enjoyed Doom...but I now see what a real blockbuster game looks like (again, could just be lack of sleep).

Going to start building my own "Dog" this weekend.

Bear
not the one free man

278. Re: Banging on Steam Nov 16, 2004, 18:18 heroin

Where will the funding come from?

Have you never seen any indie games, indie movies, punk rock, anything?

It comes from passion - working day jobs, and working on the projects with passionate coworkers. That's where the funding comes from.

277. No subject Nov 16, 2004, 18:16 ULTRAS

Anyone have a hack that can by-pass this thing? Seriousely.

276. No subject Nov 16, 2004, 18:15 Tanto Edge

I don't know if they deserve to be destroyed.
If something is worth waiting for, I don't mind.
Maybe that's why I'm not ranting and freaking.

But at the end of the day, yeah they should get some sort of kick in the nuts for making me go through this registration bullshit.

The only aggravating part of this for me:
To have Steam say "Your subscription to Half-Life 2 Retail Collectors has not been completed...However you can play Half-Life 2 Retail Collectors in the meantime..."
At which point I'm taken to a download dialouge!?
Ok... then it tells me I can't because the servers are busy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

535 Replies. 27 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo