Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Half-Life 2

As noted on Steam News Half-Life 2 is now officially available at retail stores throughout North America. Though Valve's highly anticipated sequel has been available early at some over-caffeinated stores (story), the online activation process is now underway, and copies of the game purchased at stores or online via Steam can now be unlocked by restarting Steam:

Half-Life 2 is available now for purchase and to play. Those who pre-purchased their copy via Steam may access the game by restarting Steam, then double-clicking on the Half-Life 2 icon in their Steam Games directory. To purchase your copy via Steam, get Steam now.

We hope you enjoy it!

View
537 Replies. 27 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

457. Re: 6 years for this! Nov 18, 2004, 11:41 MindTrigger

Looking things up on the wikipedia does not a dork make. (lol) Arguing with people over the incorrect use of the words disc and disk (because the wikipedia says so) does.

You may consider yourself a dork for playing video games and being interested in them, but this isn't 1990 any more. Video games are common for all walks of life these days. I personally am more into "extreme sports" and tuning German cars than video games, but that doesn't stop me from being a "regular" here.

---
http://www.oceas.com/SpreadFireFox

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

456. Re: 6 years for this! Nov 18, 2004, 11:35 JediLuke

As a side note: You would have to be a dork of the largest measure to notice (and then complain) that someone deviated from the wikipedia in the proper use of the word disk/disc. I mean Jesus, get out and get some sunlight on that near-transparent skin of yours. Try to find a women too. In all the years I've been doing this stuff, I have NEVER become that big of a geek. I'd have to kick my own ass for this one.

There are far dorkier things than looking up the usage of a term on wikipedia. Like be a bluesnews forum regular.

~Steve

http://stevegoldbergmusic.com

455. Re: 6 years for this! Nov 18, 2004, 11:34 Gandhi

This should get the post count in this thread closer to 500

http://halflife2.filefront.com/news/HalfLife_2_Pirated_Warez_Version_Info;13907

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

454. Re: 6 years for this! Nov 18, 2004, 11:26 MindTrigger

Whatever their heritage, in computer jargon today it is common for the k-spelling to refer mainly to magnetic storage devices, while the c-spelling is customary for optical media such as the compact disc and similar technologies. Even in the computing field, however, the terms are used inconsistently; software documentation often uses the k-spelling exclusively.[/i]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_or_disc

Other interpretations are that all computer ones are disks and all entertainment ones are discs (look at the compact disc logo in any jewel case), but by and large the standard is magnetic is a disk and optical is a disc.

Well, I'm glad you spend so much time in the "wikipedia", but as I said, I see the generic word "disk" used to describe all media about a thousand percent more often than I ever see "disc", and I work in IT for a living and have for over a decade. Then again, maybe the people I talk to regularly at countries all over the world are "special" and they only use the word "disk" when talking to me due to some grand conspiracy.

As a side note: You would have to be a dork of the largest measure to notice (and then complain) that someone deviated from the wikipedia in the proper use of the word disk/disc. I mean Jesus, get out and get some sunlight on that near-transparent skin of yours. Try to find a women too. In all the years I've been doing this stuff, I have NEVER become that big of a geek. I'd have to kick my own ass for this one.

---
http://www.oceas.com/SpreadFireFox
This comment was edited on Nov 18, 11:32.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

453. Re: 49 more posts Nov 18, 2004, 11:01 Gandhi

A bigger goal then getting this thread to 500 would be to get all 6 "Popular Threads" to be on HL2

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

452. Re: 49 more posts Nov 18, 2004, 10:39 jm0ris0n

48 jim, 48. This game is so sweet !

451. 49 more posts Nov 18, 2004, 08:54 Jim

to reach 500

This game rocks.

Jim

450. For those who are done Nov 18, 2004, 02:54 Sixis

Endgame spoiler alert, don't even think of reading this if you aren't done yet:

Was that the worst/most effective cliff-hanger ending in the history of the world? There had better be a sequel/expansion pack within 2 years, or the mod community may have to continue the story on its own. BTW, I think I understand what "half-life" means, and why it's the title. Gman (who I think is an alien on the human side) is obsessed with time, and "half-life" actually is a unit of time. Also, I think at the end when Breen is talking to his boss you get to see what the boss of HL3 is going to be. Now, how the hell are they going to avoid killing Alyx? Oh man, I'm going to call Gabe after the furor has died down and get him to confide in me about the plot. Or I'll call the other writers. I'll do whatever it takes! God, these guys are just too good!

449. Re: No subject Nov 18, 2004, 01:39 Warhawk

I'm one of the few people that like to soak up every bit of the game.

As do I.

secret:
The enemy shooting at me early in the game (before you get a gun) really started pissing me off because I wanted to spend more time looking around instead of running.

* Warhawk *

Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?

Certainly, you take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

448. Re: No subject Nov 18, 2004, 00:10 jm0ris0n

Seriously, after spending 4~5 hours with this game it beats doom3 hands down. No comparison. End of argument.

447. Re: No subject Nov 17, 2004, 22:59 MapleBob

I'm one of the few people that like to soak up every bit of the game. In the first level, I explored a little and saw one of those 5 story high spiders walking around. I talked to people just to watch their faces. The list goes on and on.

I like to do that too. My first time I was able to get in, I kept throwing stuff at that (mild spoiler) one guard who makes you pick up the can and pretending he was Gabe Newell.

The game reminded me of Unreal the first time you step off the ship, the first time I was out in the square.

446. Re: No subject Nov 17, 2004, 22:52 kanniballl

Am i the only person here that seems to think HL2 is distinctly average?

I'm on the other side of the spectrum, I think Half-Life is GREAT!

A few itemized responses:

Tech Demo
No, Doom 3 definately seemed like a Tech demo. Half-Life 2 does not. I WILL give you that some of the puzzles were put there just to show how cool the physics engine was, but it wasn't THAT bad.

Ravenholm
GOD, I hated that level. The first bit was neat, with some of the traps, but after that it was realllly bad.

I'm one of the few people that like to soak up every bit of the game. In the first level, I explored a little and saw one of those 5 story high spiders walking around. I talked to people just to watch their faces. The list goes on and on.

Some friends of mine are just trying to plow through it as fast as they can; they're missing A LOT.

Yeh, System Shock 2 and Deus Ex (the first one) really kept my attention, but Doom 3 turned into a snooze-fest really quick. Half-Life 2, I'm having a lot of fun with; even after 75%.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

445. Re: Help Me! I am stuck. Nov 17, 2004, 22:43 kanniballl

jm0ris0n,

SST: SPoiler. DONT READ UNLESS YOU WANT A CLUE FOR A PUZZLE THAT jm0ris0n IS HAVING PROBLEMS WITH!!!

You go to the ajoining room. Either there's a door there, or you have to swim there.

In the next room, you have to turn a wheel to raise the water level. The wheel is up high embedded in some pipes. You have to jump around just a little to get to it.

Now that the water level is raised (A LOT), you backtrack a little to get to a caged section of that second room. In the caged area, the water level is ALMOST as high as a platform.

Look down (under water), and you'll see a couple of planks keeing items from floating up. Destroy those planks, and use the now floating items to get on the platform.

Good luck.

-Fry, Futurmama

This comment was edited on Nov 17, 22:46.

-Fry, Futurama

444. Bye bye real world Nov 17, 2004, 22:31 Kosumo

HL2 + GTA:SA = No more real life (it was not that good anyway, sometimes my life feels like it's in 4 bit color)

443. Steam Forums Nov 17, 2004, 21:57 MapleBob

Well, I'd about run out of steam bitching about Steam here so I thought I'd try the offical Steam forums, now, these idiots can't even keep a message board going and I'm supposed to trust I'll be able to play my game via their crap DIVX-like NAZI-thing?

I guess hate can start to approach infinity too.

442. No subject Nov 17, 2004, 21:06 Tanto Edge

I also spell it disc..
mind you, if I'm referring to a floppy, I may write disk... or *shudder* diskette.
next on Ripley's Believe it or not

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

441. Re: Help Me! I am stuck. Nov 17, 2004, 20:38 jm0ris0n

Luke (secret Text)

Yeah it was the valve on the pipe which is what I had been searching for much to long. I easy got it from here. Thanks for the Quick reply

440. Re: WTF Nov 17, 2004, 20:19 The Half Elf

Well it's typical 'We're first to review the game' crap that happens with all the games and they hardly touch apon the games problems if they mention them at all.

There were a dozen or so times that I got lost, and a few times that I finally figured out I had to backtrack like in Ravenholm (WHICH I HATE!)

But there were quite a few good laughs in the game as well.
"No Serioously.... what about the cat?"
"Did you hear a cat? That thing still gives me nightmares"

And I could have really done without the buggy and airboat. As someone mentioned before... where are gordan's hands during this? I guess these are mind controlled vehicles that only look pieced together so they don't stick out to the combine.

And the AI squad always deciding that if they are more then 5 inches away from you that they might get lost, which makes getting into and out of small rooms a pain.

But my biggest gripe with the game industry as a whole, and HL2 does this is well, is give me a conclusive ending. I am sick and tired of this open ending bullshit. I mean at least with Doom 3 and HL2 it's not too bad, but Halo 2 should have just put a 'to be concluded in Halo 3' message at the end.

Now all someone needs to do is make a mod so Dog can go with ya through the game.. I love him, and I want one heh.
'Dog throw something bigger... NO DOG NO!!'

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

439. Re: Help Me! I am stuck. Nov 17, 2004, 20:15 JediLuke

jm0ris0n (secret text):

You have to jump from the top of the ladder to a pipe which will let you get to the door and into the next room, where you'll have to raise the water level.

~Steve

http://stevegoldbergmusic.com

438. Help Me! I am stuck. Nov 17, 2004, 20:11 jm0ris0n

Ok This is all gonna be in secret text so don't highlight if you don't want to know:

OK, I believe I am in chapter 3 (I have been on LOTS of sewer pipe areas under the city). I am at the part where grodon drops out of a pipe and onto a massive stacked pile of barrels. There are a lot of those little flying things in the room and there are a crap load of explove barrels. I have killed everything, but I don't know what to do next !!!

537 Replies. 27 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo