Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Half-Life 2

As noted on Steam News Half-Life 2 is now officially available at retail stores throughout North America. Though Valve's highly anticipated sequel has been available early at some over-caffeinated stores (story), the online activation process is now underway, and copies of the game purchased at stores or online via Steam can now be unlocked by restarting Steam:

Half-Life 2 is available now for purchase and to play. Those who pre-purchased their copy via Steam may access the game by restarting Steam, then double-clicking on the Half-Life 2 icon in their Steam Games directory. To purchase your copy via Steam, get Steam now.

We hope you enjoy it!

View
537 Replies. 27 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

17. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2004, 08:25 The Half Elf

I preordered the Collectors Edition yesterday at 3pm and had it overnighted, according to Oooopppss, er UPS, it's in the city and will be deleivered today

All I want from reading the non spolier reviews is a way to use the gravity gun on other people/players ala force choke in the Jedi Knight Games

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Unlocking............. Nov 16, 2004, 08:23 waxthirteen

Just give it time, guys. The server's lagging.

Surprise surprise! It's obvious to expect it to be hit much harder than the 500,000 WoW open beta was. Now for the "We underestimated the demand on our servers" line. Steaming pile!

i was under the impression that the unlocking was done client side. if it's running especially slow, blame it on your computer, not steam. could be wrong, though, but considering i was playing about 10 minutes after it was launched, i'm not complaining.

i'm a born again steam supporter

15. Re: The server's lagging Nov 16, 2004, 08:20 Elvis

EVERYONE GO CRAAAAZZZZZYYY!!!! It's finally out!! Joy!

Haha! No kidding - as we just finished validating, a couple of chums and I on the phone kept asking "is it really here?"

14. Re: Unlocking............. Nov 16, 2004, 08:18 MMORPGHoD

Just give it time, guys. The server's lagging.

Surprise surprise! It's obvious to expect it to be hit much harder than the 500,000 WoW open beta was. Now for the "We underestimated the demand on our servers" line. Steaming pile!

Anyone with CDs finding their HL2 install to be easier?

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 08:22.

13. Delays...*sigh* Nov 16, 2004, 08:18 Void

Just got informed by my HL2 supplier that
the shipment got delayed at customs...have to wait till
thursday to get it...I'm feeling a little aggresive for
some reason. Do you think I can blame Valve for this one?

12. Re: 5 hours in Nov 16, 2004, 08:16 Krovven

download the new Collective Soul album

Sweet, I'll have to get that...along with the Half Life 2 soundtrack cus it just rocks.

----------------------------------------------------
Zero Tolerance Games Counter-Strike: Source server.
http://www.ztgames.com

11. No subject Nov 16, 2004, 08:16 StreetPreacher

My Steam download seems to be hung at 68% - I left it running since yesterday.

At this point I think buying via Steam was a mistake - I shoulda just gone out and bought at retail.

10. Luckily no Steam issues Nov 16, 2004, 08:14 Elvis

...logged in RIGHT at midnight (almost missed it cause I was on my Q3 server - oy vey), authenicated in under 10 minutes, grabbed and ran HL:S ok.
Steam is going to be a godsend as all the mods, updates, addl content rolls out.

9. 5 hours in Nov 16, 2004, 08:14 Krovven

Im on hour 5 now...damn I need to goto bed...but must resist...must play great game more. Gravity gun is so much fun.

----------------------------------------------------
Zero Tolerance Games Counter-Strike: Source server.
http://www.ztgames.com

8. Re: The server's lagging Nov 16, 2004, 08:14 waxthirteen

i waited till 3am EST when it was unlocked and played for an hour or so before my eyes needed to sleep. it is truly amazing and valve has been forgiven

those of you still waiting for it to unlock, it was quite the painful process indeed. it seems to hang at 80%, but just be patient. after that it zips right to 100% and you're good to go. seems like everyone i've talked to had the same experience.

off to have more fun! most intense firefights ever!

7. Re: The server's lagging Nov 16, 2004, 08:12 Fantaz

EVERYONE GO CRAAAAZZZZZYYY!!!! It's finally out!! Joy!

6. 92%.... Nov 16, 2004, 08:11 BATTLE4MY

Son of a bitch I cant wait anymore This is my second time downloading and now Im hearing it takes DAYS to unlock. I should of just bought the freakin retail

5. Re: Unlocking............. Nov 16, 2004, 08:11 Jim

Well, I got up at 7:30 and started Steam up, booted the now available HL2... and it's been "Unlocking Steam Files" for a half-hour. I've had time to get a shower, have breakfast, and take the dog out, and it's gotten from 20% to 31%.

Steam. Yeah.

Oh well, don't have time to play until I'm home from work anyways. Maybe I'll be 80 or 90% unlocked by then?

Haha sounds like my story. About 6:40 EST: got up 10 minutes earlier than usual (it felt like Christmas). First went to iTunes to download the new Collective Soul album so I could copy it on a jumpdrive and take it to work, then went to the PC with Steam running on it (left it open all night). Right clicked on HL2 (still said coming soon) and looked up preload status. Said preload was finished. Couldn't find a way to "refresh" steam without shutting it down and restarting it. Then it automatically went into "unlocking HL2 files". A shower + 10 minutes later it finished unlocking, and I had just enough time to launch the game (took a long time) and configure my settings before I had to leave for work. I set it up to do a defrag (even though I just reinstalled a couple weeks ago and shouldn't need it) because it seemed to be doing a LOT of disk access during launch and after I applied my settings. Hopefully that's a "first time load only" scenario.

I may need to dl the new ATI drivers later too, depending on the results I see.

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 08:15.

Jim

4. The server's lagging Nov 16, 2004, 08:08 Exitium

Just give it time, guys. The server's lagging. When I first authenticated at 12pm PST, it only took a matter of minutes for the game to unlock (around 15-20)

3. Unlocking............. Nov 16, 2004, 08:05 CableGuy

Well, I got up at 7:30 and started Steam up, booted the now available HL2... and it's been "Unlocking Steam Files" for a half-hour. I've had time to get a shower, have breakfast, and take the dog out, and it's gotten from 20% to 31%.

Steam. Yeah.

Oh well, don't have time to play until I'm home from work anyways. Maybe I'll be 80 or 90% unlocked by then?

Oh my bad, it's at 32% by now. *ahem*

2. Man I hate Steam.... Nov 16, 2004, 08:04 BATTLE4MY

jeez had to redownload HL2 twice.....and I cant get HL1 source to work. Cant wait to play though!!!!

1. FIRST POST Nov 16, 2004, 08:03 Exitium

and yay Half Life 2 is fucking brilliant. It surpassed all of my expectations and THEN some!

537 Replies. 27 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo