Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Half-Life 2

As noted on Steam News Half-Life 2 is now officially available at retail stores throughout North America. Though Valve's highly anticipated sequel has been available early at some over-caffeinated stores (story), the online activation process is now underway, and copies of the game purchased at stores or online via Steam can now be unlocked by restarting Steam:

Half-Life 2 is available now for purchase and to play. Those who pre-purchased their copy via Steam may access the game by restarting Steam, then double-clicking on the Half-Life 2 icon in their Steam Games directory. To purchase your copy via Steam, get Steam now.

We hope you enjoy it!

View
535 Replies. 27 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

35. Re: 92%.... Nov 16, 2004, 09:11 PsychoMoggieBagpuss

From the UK and ordered off steam a while back (silver edition).
Unlocked in two minutes this morning when I woke up - hence I am currently "working" from home........

PMB
http://www.beyondunreal.com

PMB / Shodan
http:/www.futilez
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: 92%.... Nov 16, 2004, 09:09 MMORPGHoD

We'll soon see if the delay is client side only or not. I'm sure the steam content/authentication servers haven't hit max traffic yet. That'll be later today. They've already taken down the steampowered forums....

EDIT: What are the "slow unlockers" PC's specs ?

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 09:12.

33. Re: 92%.... Nov 16, 2004, 09:01 The Half Elf

How the hell can it take days to unlock when it's been less then 24 hours?

Are you one of those people who would get a million dollars free and be unhappy cause it was ONLY a million and not 10 million?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

32. No subject Nov 16, 2004, 08:57 N3m35i5

Note to self:
In my next life...do not get married, do not have children, do not have a mortgage, and maybe then i won't have to wait till Friday to play HL2.

31. Re: What I want to know Nov 16, 2004, 08:56 Eraserhead

Mine took around five minutes, maybe. There is some downloading now and then, but a lot of the process seems to be just decrypting the files on your hard drive, which chugs away for quite a while.

I'm not on dial-up but the monitor didn't show much activity.

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 08:57.

30. What I want to know Nov 16, 2004, 08:53 Absolution

Is how long does it take to authenticate a retail copy over dial-up? Is it just a matter of a handshake or do you have to download some bloat? I hope it's not the latter. I'm going out to get mine this afternoon.

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 08:53.

29. Re: UK HL2 gyp Nov 16, 2004, 08:51 carnevil47

If your an experienced FPS veteren. Play HL 2 on hard because the enemies die quite easily.

28. Re: Guh Nov 16, 2004, 08:51 Krovven

Im using a 6800 GT OC'd to Ultra speed. Everything has been smooth as butter for me. Averaging 85fps with everything maxed out, AA 4x AF 8x.

----------------------------------------------------
Zero Tolerance Games Counter-Strike: Source server.
http://www.ztgames.com

27. Re: UK HL2 gyp Nov 16, 2004, 08:49 Eraserhead

Yakumo, I feel your pain (though luckily I got it through Steam). But I thought the Silver and Gold editions were available only through Steam anyway? Aren't DVD versions a choice betweeb either plain (H-L 2 only, no H-L 1 Source) or Collector's Edition, in both countries? Could be wrong.

26. Guh Nov 16, 2004, 08:46 eunichron

Anyone else have graphics issues? I have a GF 6800 Ultra with the latest drivers... none of the characters have eyes. After work I'll try downgrading and see if that helps, unless someone knows of a fix already.

25. Re: 92%.... Nov 16, 2004, 08:43 Krovven

Well I just started Chapter 7 of 15 on Normal. Unfortunately I must sleep. Promised to go setup a wireless network for my stepdad early this afternoon.

----------------------------------------------------
Zero Tolerance Games Counter-Strike: Source server.
http://www.ztgames.com

24. Worked for me Nov 16, 2004, 08:40 NoGodForMe

Was up at 3am EST, game unlocked after about 15 minutes. Played thru the first part up to the teleporter. Went back to bed, now I'm at work.

Looks schweet.

23. UK HL2 gyp Nov 16, 2004, 08:40 Yakumo

"I'm very VERY dissapointed that the UK DVD is not the same as the US DVD, I was under the assumption that it would be the same, IE contain HL:Source, and the ability to download DOD:source for free when released.

The only details the worthwhile online sites for buying games (amazon.co.uk play.com, gameplay) are listing are 'half life 2' they do not list the package type (bronze silver gold), list contents, etc, but there ARE no alternatives for a hard copy.

There is only ONE version available in the UK, and as it is DVD and RRP's at 44.99 ( $83.09 USD) it wasn't assuming too much to think it would be the same pressing (or rather content) as the US DVD, and that we just missed out on the book and t-shirt, despite the very similar price.

From what I've played of the game so far, I am incredibly impressed ,even on my 2.2ghz p4 with gf4, but this situation has left me feeling really incredibly sour.

P.S I'd also like to report that as installed on winXP vids.cvid decoder error comes up and it's quite tricky to find a working cinepack codec for XP installer online these days."

posted to steampowered questions.

22. Re: 92%.... Nov 16, 2004, 08:39 Gandhi

You guys do realize that whether you download off Steam or buy retail, you will still have to go though the unlocking process, right? And like others said, give it some time. It took about 10 min utes on my computer, and I think it had more to do with unpacking the encrypted 4 gig of files on my computer then anything to do with Steam.

HL-Source is taking longer then expected though. I have been downloading for past half hour and it has only gone from 76% to 84%. Looks like people are hammering Steam.

Oh well, HL2 is unlocked and on me system, and so far it's been great. I stopped right after I picked up my first weapon - the signature crowbar The rest will have to wait until after final exams

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

21. Re: 92%.... Nov 16, 2004, 08:30 vacs

Son of a bitch I cant wait anymore This is my second time downloading and now Im hearing it takes DAYS to unlock. I should of just bought the freakin retail

It's the same thing for the retail version which also needs to be unlocked.

20. Please just stop Nov 16, 2004, 08:29 Grounded

the Los Lonely Boy ads that play on this website

Only you can prevent forest fires....

now back to your regularly scheduled OOOHHH AHHH Half Life 2 thread blah blah blah

YAWN

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 08:29.

19. No subject Nov 16, 2004, 08:28 StreetPreacher

Karma - Don't make the mistake that I did by using Steam. If you do you could be waiting another day or two to play. Go out NOW and buy a retail box.

18. Waiting until the last minute Nov 16, 2004, 08:25 Baudkarma

I figured I'd wait and see if the game was any good before I bought it. Just paranoid, y'know? Checked a couple three reviews, and "best game ever" seems to be coming up over and over.

Now I have to decide if I want to do the Steam thingy or go out in the cold and wet and buy a box.

It's the land of the brave, and the home of the free, where the less you know the better off you'll be.

17. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2004, 08:25 The Half Elf

I preordered the Collectors Edition yesterday at 3pm and had it overnighted, according to Oooopppss, er UPS, it's in the city and will be deleivered today

All I want from reading the non spolier reviews is a way to use the gravity gun on other people/players ala force choke in the Jedi Knight Games

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

16. Re: Unlocking............. Nov 16, 2004, 08:23 waxthirteen

Just give it time, guys. The server's lagging.

Surprise surprise! It's obvious to expect it to be hit much harder than the 500,000 WoW open beta was. Now for the "We underestimated the demand on our servers" line. Steaming pile!

i was under the impression that the unlocking was done client side. if it's running especially slow, blame it on your computer, not steam. could be wrong, though, but considering i was playing about 10 minutes after it was launched, i'm not complaining.

i'm a born again steam supporter

535 Replies. 27 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo