Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Half-Life 2

As noted on Steam News Half-Life 2 is now officially available at retail stores throughout North America. Though Valve's highly anticipated sequel has been available early at some over-caffeinated stores (story), the online activation process is now underway, and copies of the game purchased at stores or online via Steam can now be unlocked by restarting Steam:

Half-Life 2 is available now for purchase and to play. Those who pre-purchased their copy via Steam may access the game by restarting Steam, then double-clicking on the Half-Life 2 icon in their Steam Games directory. To purchase your copy via Steam, get Steam now.

We hope you enjoy it!

View
535 Replies. 27 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

55. Re: rumors Nov 16, 2004, 10:38 sc4r4b

I can understand why linear levels suck... However, refresh my memory, why the fuck is scripting such a bad thing?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. Re: FIRST POST Nov 16, 2004, 10:26 singe32

Hell ya.

Ticks me off it isn't offically available till tomorrow. I am looking forward to Vampire big time. As I am, HL2.

53. rumors Nov 16, 2004, 10:26 Mega Fantasy Sci-Fi PostApocalyptic MMORTRPFPS 9000

I keep hearing it's heavily scripted and very linear. Is it? And telling me, "OMG the game rocks!" won't convince me otherwise.

52. Re: Hmm.... Nov 16, 2004, 10:19 sir

This game rocks so much I can't put it into words. Well done Valve, for delivering the most immersive game experience of my life.

51. Re: Typical Steam behavior Nov 16, 2004, 10:18 Geese

And why is everyone in such a fervor over HL:Source? Playing through that game a second time was more than enough for me. I just don't get it.

I don't know. *Is* everyone in a fervor over it? I asked the question because I didn't see anyone else talking about it and was interested. And as far as playing it, I haven't played HL1 since I finished it when it originally came out (so I haven't even played it twice). My wife, on the other hand, has never played HL1, so I figured this would be a good way for her to experience it.

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio!
http://www.opieandanthony.com
http://www.xmradio.com

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio Channel 202

50. Hmm.... Nov 16, 2004, 10:13 The Half Elf

5 mins to confirm the CD key and so far after 2 mins it's at 50% of unlocking Half Life 2.

Highly dissapointed in the Collectors Edition. I mean the XL hanes T-shirt is ok, but the Prima book is more of the cliff notes version of the Strat Guide and the same size.
I think I shoulda gotten the gold edition off the steam site.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

49. Typical Steam behavior Nov 16, 2004, 10:09 Mega Fantasy Sci-Fi PostApocalyptic MMORTRPFPS 9000

For some it works flawlessly, for others not at all. Seems par for the course. I never had an issue when I tried it briefly during the CS:Source beta.

Anyway, I cancelled my HL2 pre-order and I'm in no rush to go out and buy a copy. I'm going to go ahead and call it, it's heavily scripted and therefore I'll probably play through it once.

And why is everyone in such a fervor over HL:Source? Playing through that game a second time was more than enough for me. I just don't get it.

48. Nasty Crash Nov 16, 2004, 10:08 TangledThorns

Hmm, I just hit a nasty crash where my graphics got corrupted and had to reboot.

47. Re: What I want to know Nov 16, 2004, 09:54 Hump

My verification took about 5 minutes which isn't bad considering I started within 10 minutes of the official launch where there mustve been a mad rush on the servers.

Overall Steam worked beautifully. I've no problem buying another title this way.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
What Would Fred Do?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

46. Re: not cracked? Nov 16, 2004, 09:50 Viranth

"We hope you enjoy it!" What kind of bullshit is that? They have to say "Enjoy or die!".

Anyhoo, been playing for about 6 hours or so, the game is just what I wanted. (That's a good thing).

HL2 does indeed have "it", been a long time since any other game has been this good. I'm enjoying every second of it, lots of challenges, fun puzzles and best of all, it's running smooth as hell at 1280*1024 with all the AA and AF on max.

Valve 10000000000 - Whoever bashed it 0.

45. not cracked? Nov 16, 2004, 09:41 Replevin

So is this the first big game (of recent release) that wasn't cracked before it was released? If so, that would be quite an accomplishment for Valve.

44. HL1 Source? Nov 16, 2004, 09:32 Geese

HL1 Source moved from "coming soon" to "now playing". I had it downloading as I left for work this morning. Anyone played it yet? Is it a faithful representation of the original, or does it look like a hack-job using the source engine? Anyone...anyone?

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio!

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio Channel 202

43. Re: HL1: Source Nov 16, 2004, 09:27 Tango

Ok, buy the DVD (woo) at the shop, install it, click "add a game I already own" in Steam, put in the (legitimate, £34.99) CD key..... "Your subscription to HL2 Retail Standard has not been completed because Steam servers are unable to process the transaction. You won't be able to play the game until the process is complete. Please accept our apologies. The Steam team is working to rectify the situation."

FUCK THIS.

Edit: Oops a restart of Steam and it worked. Now it's just taking forever to unlock HL2. I hope it works.

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 09:33.

42. Re: HL1: Source Nov 16, 2004, 09:25 VogelAP

I ordered the HL2 GOLD package on 11/16, and I paid the extra to have it overnighted, but noticed that there is no link to check order order status or anything in the email confirmation of my purchase.

Can anyone tell me how to check the shipment status of my HL2 package?

-drew
www.drewvogel.com

41. Loads Suck Nov 16, 2004, 09:18 TangledThorns

I've been playing and finally got the crowbar. Anyways, I'd thought they'd do away with the constant loads. Even Halo 2 didn't take as long and I'm playing on a 3200XP, 1Gb Ram, & 6800GT.

40. Re: 92%.... Nov 16, 2004, 09:16 Krovven

We'll soon see if the delay is client side only or not.

The delay is client side. The game is installing the SteamApps folder from the gcf files, just like installing from a CD, this takes time. There are some files downloaded today, but that goes fast...at least it did for me.

----------------------------------------------------
Zero Tolerance Games Counter-Strike: Source server.
http://www.ztgames.com

39. Re: 92%.... Nov 16, 2004, 09:16 Valtyr

I was getting desperate, I couldn't affort yet another release this month, but missing out on HL2 would have been harsh. So as I looked around my place in panic, I spotted my ATI box, remebering that little coupon inside....

It was like the holy grail! I get to play HL2, and it's free to boot! I know, I miss having a manual and CD's, but it dosen't hurt the game at all. It's... good /cough

But I will have nightmares about "Manhacks"

38. Re: FIRST POST Nov 16, 2004, 09:14 MrDrum81

Is anyone excited about Vampire Bloodlines? The first game to use the HL2 engine besides HL2?

37. Re: 92%.... Nov 16, 2004, 09:14 MMORPGHoD

#25 has been playing it. He's almost halfway done...

36. Re: 92%.... Nov 16, 2004, 09:11 Jim

What, nobody's playing it yet???! Everyone's still talking about getting it/authenticating it. I was expecting to be reading some first impressions by now.

Or everyone that did make into the game hasn't found their way out yet

Jim

535 Replies. 27 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo