Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Half-Life 2

As noted on Steam News Half-Life 2 is now officially available at retail stores throughout North America. Though Valve's highly anticipated sequel has been available early at some over-caffeinated stores (story), the online activation process is now underway, and copies of the game purchased at stores or online via Steam can now be unlocked by restarting Steam:

Half-Life 2 is available now for purchase and to play. Those who pre-purchased their copy via Steam may access the game by restarting Steam, then double-clicking on the Half-Life 2 icon in their Steam Games directory. To purchase your copy via Steam, get Steam now.

We hope you enjoy it!

View
535 Replies. 27 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

175. Re: *sigh* Nov 16, 2004, 16:16 MMORPGHoD

hehe, all these problems with steam, while the pirates get a copy that works instantly. from pirate nfo
"This is the FINAL copy from STEAM, it emulates steam so you DO NOT NEED TO install steam, "

Quite funny.
Somehow I think most smart people predicted this.

There was just way too much benefit for the pirates to pass it up. Steam is now vapor. I guess I wasn't quite smart enough, because I predicted they'd have it cracked even before the release. Maybe they did. Oh well.

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 16:42.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

174. No subject Nov 16, 2004, 16:15 Malakai

After playing the game for a few hours today i can safely say that it is the most average game i've ever played. Loading takes too long, loading occurs every 5 minutes or less and i can even predict when it's going to start loading another part of the level and thus ruin the immersion factor of the game.

Either 1 major scripted sequence occurs, or you have to do one inane action per loaded section. Bugs the hell out of me.

Not to bash the game entirely, i have to say the graphics are outstanding and the character motion/facial expressions are without peer. Physics engine as well is pretty damn good, although when someone is killed the arms have a very wierd habbit of immediately falling to the side of the victim and staying there...not realistic i would say.

Another thing that bugged me about this game, as was mentioned in an earlier post, was the use of Steam. I installed Steam for the very first time today. I want to uninstall it right now. As soon as it loads up i need to download updates for it. I mean for god's sake, couldn't they have included an up-to-date version of steam on the install disk? Not only that, but it took me 30 mins to register my cdkey (understandable since the amount of people who would be doing that task today would be huge). Then before i can even start playing the game i need to download even more stuff (i have no idea what it downloaded).

It seems to me that the game involves way too much waiting, and not enough action. Also it's funny that it takes about 1/10th of the time to quit the game than it does to load it to the main menu.

And no, i have a 2800+, 1.5gb pc3200 DDR and a 6800 Ultra 256mb card. So it aint my machine thats slow.

173. Re: I CAN SEE WHERE... Nov 16, 2004, 16:14 Tanto Edge

Vampires have been made in the quintissential dark classico with a goth twist. I'd say they're the reason that Goth has become what it is today (as opposed to witchcraft influence).

Insofar as The Masquerade is concerned, to say that there is no elitism based on the pencil and paper version.
It certainly offers more freedom, that much is vividly obvious. However the gameplay will never match that of a properly made video game.

I am not about to cite any examples of proper rpg gameplay because in short, there are none.
I have yet to see a video game that offers as much freeform gameplay in terms of battle system, or site based adventuring.

Dialouge in games is another matter. I fully appreciate all the efforts of game designers in giving NPCs a wide range of intelligence, responses, etc. However, one must realize that nine times out of ten, these reponses are predetermined selections based on the player. And to say they are based on the player could mean that they are based on player actions.

It is these video games that come close to the pencil and paper realm. The average pencil and paper gamer will usually offer an approximately similar answer to most RPG answer systems.
This comes from ten years of DM/GMing (AD&D, Shadowrun, Rifts, GURPS and Starwars) and playing (everything.)

I love video games, but I have to concur that pencil and paper will always offer a freedom that a game designer simply can't capture inside of a video game. This is why D&D is still selling.

When we succeed in creating an AI that can produce valid sentence structure (if somebody would get back on this horse.. email me if you know of research) that can calculate player actions we will be able to generate a video game that can properly respond to players 'needs'.
That is to say, a game engine that will scale its difficulty, its NPCs actions and its NPCs dialouge to fit with the players motivation.

Eg: If a player is in a game featuring cops and civilians and simply starts blasting civvies and cops, and keeps winning, eventually cops will run out and then so will civvies.
If a game is properly constructed with the AI I described, the game will recognize safety in numbers and eventually a civvie will pick up a gun. If not a blunt object. And subsequently take the player out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

172. Re: *sigh* Nov 16, 2004, 16:12 CrimsonPaw

I'm part of the official "Christmas embargo" which keeps me from buying pretty-much anything with an ounce of entertainment value from the 1st of November to Christmas.

Yeah, my wife has me on that too. Thankfully I purchased an ATI coupon a few months back. She can't stop me, it's alreay been bought. This will get me through till I get my GTA:SA.

~~Crim~~

171. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2004, 16:10 Billy Bob

I'm done with squads and teams, I just want to run around like a madman killing everything in sight.

Amen brother.

170. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2004, 16:10 Tumbler

Why should I use Steam when I distinctly purchased the collectors edition so as to avoid said deal.

I'm asking myself the same question. I feel a bit mislead. Looking at what you get from the collectors edition I'd say to anyone considering buy it, don't. It's a rip-off. If you really want a t-shirt then I guess, but the quality of the box, the contents, everything is kind of pathetic.

Note: They also did not think to print, Internet Connection Required to Play.

Unfortunately they did. Under minimum and preferred system requirements it lists internet connection required. The bigger thing that bothers me is I am unable to resell it via ebay like I've done with so many other games in the past. I had little intention of selling this game as the mod community will likely have some tasty treates soon, but if other companies follow suit it will really be disappointing.

Not pleased with Valve or Vivendi.

conents->contents
This comment was edited on Nov 16, 17:04.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

169. No subject Nov 16, 2004, 16:09 space captain

HL2 has been cracked already, and they are able to play it without having steam get in the way

piracy deterrent??? hmmmmm...

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

168. Re: *sigh* Nov 16, 2004, 16:08 anon@24.76

hehe, all these problems with steam, while the pirates get a copy that works instantly. from pirate nfo
"This is the FINAL copy from STEAM, it emulates steam so you DO NOT NEED TO install steam, "

Quite funny.
Somehow I think most smart people predicted this.

167. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2004, 16:07 MMORPGHoD

It's getting tougher to get steam stats from their web page:

http://www.steampowered.com/status/status.html

Keep adding to that max bandwidth Valve, you're gonna need it.

166. *sigh* Nov 16, 2004, 16:04 Wolffe

I'm part of the official "Christmas embargo" which keeps me from buying pretty-much anything with an ounce of entertainment value from the 1st of November to Christmas.

Man, at this point I feel like a kid who has been grounded and my PC is all pimped-out with the 6800 just waiting to play...

165. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2004, 16:04 skullyface

"Note: They also did not think to print, Internet Connection Required to Play. "

actually they did. it's right on the box, twice. it's also on the website. way to go genius.

164. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2004, 16:02 Zadillo

Actually Myst IV just came out, and has been getting very good reviews, etc. Nothing groundbreaking, but very well done. Also the recent Broken Sword game. And Dreamfall, the sequel to The Longest Journey, is coming out next year (although apparently it isn't a pure adventure game, but possibly sort of a hybrid-genre game). Anyway, certainly the adventure genre is pretty minor comparitively, but there's still been some good stuff to come out, and some interesting stuff on the horizon.

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 16:03.

163. fixed note. Nov 16, 2004, 16:00 Tanto Edge

Bought my copy of HL2.
Am I a fan boy? Never have been.
I don't like this Steam nonsense because frankly, that's what Microsoft is going through issues for right now.

Valve has created a software for the convenience of the fans? No. It created a software that prevents piracy. But for those of us who don't do the online gaming thing, and certainly don't like having their software act as a slave to another software (I despise Gamespy), Steam is nothing but an inconvenience. And a damned irritating one at that.

Why should I use Gamespy to start an online game when a game has its own server browser?
Why should I use Steam when I distinctly purchased the collectors edition so as to avoid said deal.

Unfortunately, it seems that Valve does not share this sentiment with their fans.

I would bother writing an email to Valve, but y'know something? They probably already got a few from folks like me. And the Steamed fellow who posted below.

So I'll simply say it here, Valve, you guys made a mistake with this one.
I'm sure the game is great though... I'm just waiting for your service to verify my code.

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 16:20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

162. Re: Could not connect to Steam Network! Nov 16, 2004, 15:58 sc4r4b

It was pretty fucking funny, but now I feel that karma will catch up with me tonight when I try to play...

161. Re: Could not connect to Steam Network! Nov 16, 2004, 15:56 sinner's saint

"FUCK STEAM! FUCKE IT! I bought the Collectors edition to avoid having to deal with that bullshit STEAM nonsense. NOW HERE I AM WAITINGF FOR 20 MIN WAITING FOR THE FUCKING STEAM NETWORK TO GET ME REGISTERED! I JUST PAID ALMOST $90 TO SIT HERE AND WAIT AND KEEP GETTING DROPPED FROM THE STEAM SERVICE!!! FUCK THIS, THIS IS FUCKING NONSENSE!!! FUCK VALVE! I'm usually a very positive gamer but this really gets me fuckin STEAMED! I better get this shit to work within a hours time or this fucking shit is going back to the store and I'll weait for the inevitable warezed version... and I don't even copy games!!! The simple fact is a customer should not be forced to register online with a service they don't want if they already paid a HUGE amount for the product! MAN I AM SOOOO FUCKIN PISSED RIGHT NOW!!!!!"

Ahahahaha. That was halarious, thank you good sir.

160. Re: Store Bought CE Nov 16, 2004, 15:55 MMORPGHoD

Heh, people are coming home from work to play... get steamed while you still can.

Hey MuzixMon, you seemed like you might have been holding back something. Don't be bashful, tell us how you really feel about steam.

Steaming pile!

159. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2004, 15:53 Scottish Martial Arts

I would be suprised if it was anywhere near the same kind of game - it is being done by a different developer, Troika, who is simply the best RPG maker right now. Honorable mention goes to Bioware, but Arcanum and Fallout were absolute masterpieces.

Your kidding right? Troika didn't make Fallout. Three guys who were on the Fallout team are now with Troika and the Fallout team was a whole heck of lot bigger than three people.

I wouldn't go so far as to call Arcanum a masterpiece. Horrible combat and a horribly unbalanced rule system are too huge a flaw for the game to get that qualifier. Plus, the story was really disappointing "Go stop the evil mastermind from destroying the world 15 minutes after you realized that he and his nefarious scheme even exist." Arcanum had it's good points but it had just as many flaws.

ToEE, nothing more needs to be said.

Vampires has a shot at being good but on the other hand it's an ambitious, first person title (Troika has no experience with fp games). Given Troika's track record I'm going to wait for the reviews before picking up Vampire. Also, anyone who say's that Vampire is a mature title is a moron.

158. Store Bought CE Nov 16, 2004, 15:51 Tumbler

Just got my copy of Half-Life 2 Collectors edition from ebgames.com. I figured resistance was futile and I had some discount things to spend so I bought this one.

Installed it, and steam fires up right after install. I close it and try to launch the game. Nothing. No error, no nothing. Rebooted, tried launching HL-2 Again. Steam launces. I disable my internet connnection. Kill steam, then relaunch game. Sorry u can't play game in offline mode yet. Need to login to steam first... WTF?

So I login to Steam, click register my game, enter the code hit accept. Waiting...waiting....waiting....steam login screen, says my ticket expired please login again... WTF? I got the dang game in the store. The Cd is in the drive. Start the F-n Game. Log back in, subscription pending. Can't verify your game atm but not to worry you can still play HL-2 collectors edition in the mean time, we'll get back to you on the subscription. Ok, sounds good. Next screen, select games to add to your my games list, HL-2 CS:S and HL-1, click ok. Sorry servers are too busy.... Try again in a few min...

Ok not to worry, I can at least play MY copy of HL-2 now right? NO. Wants me to go register again. Lovely.

[Update]
Is unlocking now, I decided to click the sdk option under things to install and it worked. Not sure if it's a coincidence or that is a bug or what. But it's unlocking. Could have sworn that valve made it clear that playing this game out of box would be possible without an internet connection. IE no forced registration. Guess I was mistaken, because they certainly wouldn't lie to us.

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 16:03.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

157. Re: Could not connect to Steam Network! Nov 16, 2004, 15:48 MuzixMon

FUCK STEAM! FUCKE IT! I bought the Collectors edition to avoid having to deal with that bullshit STEAM nonsense. NOW HERE I AM WAITINGF FOR 20 MIN WAITING FOR THE FUCKING STEAM NETWORK TO GET ME REGISTERED! I JUST PAID ALMOST $90 TO SIT HERE AND WAIT AND KEEP GETTING DROPPED FROM THE STEAM SERVICE!!! FUCK THIS, THIS IS FUCKING NONSENSE!!! FUCK VALVE! I'm usually a very positive gamer but this really gets me fuckin STEAMED! I better get this shit to work within a hours time or this fucking shit is going back to the store and I'll weait for the inevitable warezed version... and I don't even copy games!!! The simple fact is a customer should not be forced to register online with a service they don't want if they already paid a HUGE amount for the product! MAN I AM SOOOO FUCKIN PISSED RIGHT NOW!!!!!

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

156. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2004, 15:44 Beamer

but then again, not every PC FPS has bots either...

Yeah, but they make up for it in other ways, for me at least.

The entire appeal of the Xbox is that I live in a house with 2 other guys and we always want to virtually kill each other. Halo 2 doesn't allow that nearly as well as it could.

It would be amazing with bots. Lacking them makes it a diversion that will be forgotten rather than played for months to come.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

535 Replies. 27 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo