Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Half-Life 2

As noted on Steam News Half-Life 2 is now officially available at retail stores throughout North America. Though Valve's highly anticipated sequel has been available early at some over-caffeinated stores (story), the online activation process is now underway, and copies of the game purchased at stores or online via Steam can now be unlocked by restarting Steam:

Half-Life 2 is available now for purchase and to play. Those who pre-purchased their copy via Steam may access the game by restarting Steam, then double-clicking on the Half-Life 2 icon in their Steam Games directory. To purchase your copy via Steam, get Steam now.

We hope you enjoy it!

View
535 Replies. 27 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

215. Re: Store Bought CE Nov 16, 2004, 17:08 FourPak

if I have to go through so much crap to unlock the game via online server, why do I have to use the CD as well?
heh, when you make a game that takes less time and effort to PIRATE than it does to Register a legal copy, well, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

214. Re: The server's lagging baaaa Nov 16, 2004, 17:07 Gandhi

Look! Over there! Half Life THREE screenshots!!!
"baaaaaa!!!... baaaaa!!!... baaaaa!!!..."

You are just whining because you can't get your retail copy to work

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

213. Re: Man I hate Steam.... Nov 16, 2004, 17:06 MapleBob

I HATE STEAM TOO!

I bought this game last september 1, 2003, remember 'cause it was for sure going to be out on September 30, 2003.

Goddamned boy-diddling NAMBLA-ites at Valve! I did not pay all this money to play fucking STEAM you asshole fucks!

Die! Die! Die! You Arafat sodomising prelates!

Well, needless to say, I haven't been able to play the fucking game yet.

I hate Valve. John Edwards is out of work, maybe I can hire him to sue Valve into the ground for bait and switch or something.

I did call that stupid fuck, Gabe Newell and swore at his voice mail and I have sent countless emails to the stupid fucks at Valve telling them what stupid fucks they are.

But I still haven't been able to play Half-Life 2.

If you haven't got this game yet and you don't have steam and you don't care about fucking steam, don't get this game because you'll end up playing steam and never see Half-Life 2.

FUCK YOU GABE NEWELL! FUCK YOU VALVE!

212. Re: *sigh* Nov 16, 2004, 17:05 Gandhi

Some comments on the release. And also, see the last sentence in the article -

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/washpost/20041116/tc_washpost/a52849_2004nov15

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

211. Re: HL1 Source Nov 16, 2004, 17:05 Geese

'm pretty sure it was stated before that the maps/models would not be redone for HL:S, one reason many of us were not too excited about paying extra for it.

Oh well. I actually never picked up on the HL1 port info. At least HL2 runs fine

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio!
http://www.opieandanthony.com
http://www.xmradio.com

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio Channel 202
http://www.opieandanthony.com
http://www.xmradio.com

210. Re: The server's lagging baaaa Nov 16, 2004, 17:05 Razorman

& you are?  
Come to bed Milly Sue, Daddys ready in his big ole trailer

209. Re: Store Bought CE Nov 16, 2004, 17:04 nin

Mabye this is something they can fix in a future patch but if I have to go through so much crap to unlock the game via online server, why do I have to use the CD as well? Kind of ridiculous.

Now THAT is overkill...but that was one of the reasons I went w/ Steam - no damn cd in the drive.

Granted, it would have been nice to know these issues upfront, right?

I haven't played it yet, but will when I get home from work. Based on the comments here, I hope it goes well.

http://www.placeboworld.co.uk

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

208. Re: Winsock Error Nov 16, 2004, 17:03 jm0ris0n

I only asked because I took my laptop to school today to DL my preload files (My apt connection is slooow) and I want to find out if its steam, or just the university firewall.

I get that same error when I check my log files.

207. This game Nov 16, 2004, 17:03 speechrut

This is an incredible game. I had one major showstopper bug: the one in the post below from Erik Johnson from a bad pre-load (actually, it happens if you try to pre-load HL:S and then cancel before it finishes). After that, not a single hitch, just glorious non-stop goodness. I understand steam may be having login troubles, but I authenticated once, and now I'm butter: no extra worries at all. Nothing is perfect for everyone.

206. Re: HL1 Source Nov 16, 2004, 17:02 Tim1_2

I can't log in to Steam at all. I haven't been able to for about half an hour now, since I started trying. Would've been my first time to play HL2, but now I have to head out again. I want my money back, since I paid for something that doesn't work. Seriously. I would post on Steam's forums or something, but their website won't work for me either. Crappy.  
Currently playing: DayZ

205. Re: The server's lagging baaaa Nov 16, 2004, 17:00 FourPak

Everyone in unison now - start making bleating noises...
"baaaaaa... baaaaa... baaaaa..."
Enthusiasm is great and all but jeezuz what a bunch of mindless sheep.

Look! Over there! Half Life THREE screenshots!!!
"baaaaaa!!!... baaaaa!!!... baaaaa!!!..."

204. Re: *sigh* Nov 16, 2004, 16:57 sir

From a popular pirate site - over 4000 people downloading it now. Weak.

I would wager that a significant mount of these people will buy a legit copy once they see the online mods that will hopefully arise from the magnificent single player.

203. Re: Store Bought CE Nov 16, 2004, 16:57 Tumbler

Just got my copy of Half-Life 2 Collectors edition from ebgames.com. I figured resistance was futile and I had some discount things to spend so I bought this one.

Installed it, and steam fires up right after install. I close it and try to launch the game. Nothing. No error, no nothing. Rebooted, tried launching HL-2 Again. Steam launces. I disable my internet connnection. Kill steam, then relaunch game. Sorry u can't play game in offline mode yet. Need to login to steam first... WTF?

So I login to Steam, click register my game, enter the code hit accept. Waiting...waiting....waiting....steam login screen, says my ticket expired please login again... WTF? I got the dang game in the store. The Cd is in the drive. Start the F-n Game. Log back in, subscription pending. Can't verify your game atm but not to worry you can still play HL-2 collectors edition in the mean time, we'll get back to you on the subscription. Ok, sounds good. Next screen, select games to add to your my games list, HL-2 CS:S and HL-1, click ok. Sorry servers are too busy.... Try again in a few min...

Ok not to worry, I can at least play MY copy of HL-2 now right? NO. Wants me to go register again. Lovely.

[Update]
Is unlocking now, I decided to click the sdk option under things to install and it worked. Not sure if it's a coincidence or that is a bug or what. But it's unlocking. Could have sworn that valve made it clear that playing this game out of box would be possible without an internet connection. IE no forced registration. Guess I was mistaken, because they certainly wouldn't lie to us.

One more update. After getting the game installed and setup, I put my DVD away in the box, packed it into the closet and sat down to play. No disc inserted. Retry/Cancel.... Wow, I really wish I'd purchased this game online. Really feels like the people who purchased this in the store are being punished at this point. Mabye this is something they can fix in a future patch but if I have to go through so much crap to unlock the game via online server, why do I have to use the CD as well? Kind of ridiculous.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

202. Winsock Error Nov 16, 2004, 16:55 SebCain

Failed with error 200: Failed to connect, winsock error 10061 "Connection Refused"

WTH is this... Does anyone else get this or have this? Ugh, once again, gotta love Steam and my inability to play this game.

201. No subject Nov 16, 2004, 16:51 Tanto Edge

Why does Steam have to suck off so much CPU time anyhow?
I mean, I could be working on my 3D projects right now... but I can't even preview animations while Steam is doing it's thing.
It's like having the game itself being played while I'm working.
And all it's doing is searching for a handshake?

Also, if I've got the opportunity to play HL2 retail while Steam tries to verify whatever bullshit, why doesn't it recognize that I bought the sucker version already??

Valve, in their infinite wisdom and altruistic attitude towards the fans, has fucked us over. Big time.

Jim, all we're having is Steam login issues (myself personally, I have set up a macro simply to do this for me).

The best is when you think you're on the home stretch and then it tells you your steam ticket has expired. Meaning you have to login again. And then Steam tells you there "may be a problem with your internet conneciton, or the steam internet connection."

Yeah... this is starting to get to me...
This comment was edited on Nov 16, 16:54.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

200. Re: HL1 Source Nov 16, 2004, 16:51 jm0ris0n

Anyone having steam login issues right now ?

199. Re: HL1 Source Nov 16, 2004, 16:47 Warhawk

Ok - so I finally got HL1 source loaded up. It looks almost IDENTICAL to the original HL. Same textures, same models, as far as I could tell, the only upgrade to it, is that the water in the game looks like HL2 water.

Kind of a letdown...I was hoping it was going to be fully remapped and remodeled in Source engine.

I'm pretty sure it was stated before that the maps/models would not be redone for HL:S, one reason many of us were not too excited about paying extra for it.

In fact:
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34607

* Warhawk *

Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?

Certainly, you take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

198. Re: *sigh* Nov 16, 2004, 16:45 Beamer

Games Filesize Seeds DLs Kind Submitter Info
19:32 Half-Life 2 READ NFO-EMPORiO 4026 Mb 24 1761 Windows anonymous -
19:10 Half-Life 2 READ NFO-EMPORiO 4026 Mb 6 532 Windows nightmeare link
18:58 Half-Life 2 READ NFO-EMPORiO 4026 Mb 1 6 Windows N()iZ link
18:44 Half-Life_2_READ_NFO-EMPORiO 4026 Mb 17 1895 Windows anonymous link

From a popular pirate site - over 4000 people downloading it now. Weak.

They'll only be able to play offline, of course, but that seems to be the biggest draw, as people can still play CS on original HL, so there's no huge draw to update for multiplayer. Again, I think that was Valve's enormous mistake and underestimate.

I take back what I said about not wanting to fight in teams, though. Teams are great fun, you run around like a madman and sometimes have to withhold fire, if FF is on (as it should be.) Squads, though... I'm tired of relying on other people to work together with me, as it seems to fail more often than it works. Worse yet is watching the last CT constantly walk by the hostages without at least touching them for money, let alone leading them back...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

197. This STEAM is such a F'N joke... Nov 16, 2004, 16:42 SebCain

Man this pisses me off so much I cant even play a goddamn gane I bought. What's pissing me off is how this is making me want to pirate this goddamn game b/c the jackasses who invented and thought of this lovely idea CANT GET THE F'N THING TO WORK!!! I've heard NOTHING postive about STEAM, EVER. Why do they still insist to have it?! I could probably go on IRC and get the full game in less time it would take me register and have my goddamn CDKEY approved.

This is BS. Utter and complete BS.

196. Re: HL:S Nov 16, 2004, 16:41 BoNeLeSS

If I see another flaming barrel I'm going to scream!!!

If I see more forum flaming I'm going to scream

535 Replies. 27 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo