Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Half-Life 2

As noted on Steam News Half-Life 2 is now officially available at retail stores throughout North America. Though Valve's highly anticipated sequel has been available early at some over-caffeinated stores (story), the online activation process is now underway, and copies of the game purchased at stores or online via Steam can now be unlocked by restarting Steam:

Half-Life 2 is available now for purchase and to play. Those who pre-purchased their copy via Steam may access the game by restarting Steam, then double-clicking on the Half-Life 2 icon in their Steam Games directory. To purchase your copy via Steam, get Steam now.

We hope you enjoy it!

View
535 Replies. 27 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

275. Awesome - Guess I'm Lucky Nov 16, 2004, 18:11 kanniballl

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

I bught it via Steam a few weeks ago, and it unlocked this morning (7:30 AM) without a problem. It looked like it had to update one more thing before I could start, but it was done by the time I was out of the shower.

I've played through a LARGE portion of it today, and no bugs or hiccups over here.

The game is friggin SWEET!

Seriously, the game is fun as hell. Fortunately, my system can handle 1158x864 with all of the settings maxed.

- Gameplay
So far, the gameplay has been great. There have been some real "Holy Sh!t, that's cool!" moments. I mean, damn... I couldn't believe it. They did a real good job on the gameplay.

Then again, if I had to guess, I'm only about half-way or 75% through, so it might slow down at some point. But, the game doesn't keep you bored.
A

- Puzzles
There are some really cool puzzle in here. Nothing rubix-cube like (so far); mostly using basic physics (levers/seesaws, floating, pullies, etc). Some are pretty obvious, others are pretty tricky. One puzzle took me about 30 minutes of running around to figure out because I didn't notice an item lying around. So, be observant.
B
p(would be A-, but younger or less patient people will get pissed).

- Graphis
The graphics are truly good. I personally think this looks a HELL of a lot better than DOOM3. iD is going to have a hard time selling their engine with this puppy for sale as well. If I were a developer, I'd choose Source hands down. My machine runs it faster than DOOM3, everything looks great, and the atmosphere-interaction is great.

I thought the facial animation thing was going to be stupid, but it looks pretty damn good; very realistic. In fact, I think it makes the game that much more realistic.
A

- Sound
The music is pretty damn good. When you're getting into a fast-paced level, the music cranks up and TOTALLY adds to the atmosphere. Some "classic" sound effects are thrown in for good measure (recharge stations, some creature sounds, etc); very nastalgic.
Grade = A

- Performance
This thing flies on my machine. Sure, I have a mid-upper range machine, but it's still running like smooth silk. Note: P4 3.06GHz w/ 533 FSB, 1GB Ram, GForce 6800Gt (not overclocked).
B
Would be A, but level loading is a pain

NEGATIVES
Load times. I'm somewhat dissapointed at this. The map loads are long, and don't always take place in obvious areas. Yes, some of the levels are pretty small, but not all of them. It doesn't take away from my favor for this game that much, but others probably will hate it.

Anyway, sorry for you poor guys out there that are having a problem activating it. 7AM EST was a breeze.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

274. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2004, 18:09 MapleBob

We're allowed to beak and bitch you elitist fuck. Just remember this post the next time you get angry at an inanimate object.

People go into hysterical hissie-fits over fake crap all the time, now I have been attacked by that cesspool diving mountebank, Gabe Newell, and his merry band of crap knights.

I mean the thing that hurts most is knowing I placed my faith in these mothers! GOD! I hate them!

And as long as there are places to say it, I will say it, until my rage is spent.

SUE! SUE! SUE! SUE!

Valve desserves to be destroyed.

273. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2004, 18:03 Elvis

But I assumed that I'd be alright with a retail copy with a local side cd-key authorization.

Assumed?!?! Oh oh, never do that. All the Steam goings-on, and you simply never verified this requirement prior to purchasing? Whose fault is that? You said "dumb ass", not us! Much of you sad saps complaining about Steam access must simply be in the wrong part of the world; I've had Steam connection issues just once during the largest HL2 preload. The rest of the time, no problems: not during all the CS:S downloads, not during two gigs worth of seven HL2 preloads, not at Midnight the 16th...

You made the right choice in getting the game; it's great fun.

272. Re: Banging on Steam Nov 16, 2004, 18:00 xXBatmanXx

This is important, especially if you're a very small company that can't even get a publisher. We don't need Vivendi, FOX, Viacom or any of those greedy idiots running the video game industry now do we? I mean look what they've done to TV and movies! Screw the big corporations, I think Valve was extremely punk rock about getting Vivendi to sign a contract when Valve knew that they didn't know about their plans for Steam - which will take away chunks of money from the evil, right-wing crapheads at Vivendi and Universal, as well as NEWS CORPS, and VIACOM who own them.

Where will the funding come from?

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

271. No subject Nov 16, 2004, 17:58 D4rkKnight

QUOTE "DoD isnt out yet
HL2 and HL:S were released, DoD is still being worked on."

1997 called, they want there post back!

You know what I meant...

DoD wasnt released anywhere near 97 btw, HL1 wasnt even out then.

270. No subject Nov 16, 2004, 17:50 Bop

I'm playing the game right now, I bought the gold edition and preloaded it to my PC last week.

I logged onto steam and it authenticated my game at 4:30 no problem and now I'm in.

I don't know what everyone is bitchin about...

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 18:05.

269. No subject Nov 16, 2004, 17:49 ULTRAS

I got out of work early AND paid for FedEx to get this today? I feel like I've been ass raped...

Fix this dam thing already??? Or give everyone a freaking rebate for your inadequacies...

For all those who ordered through the net...you can send out an amazing message to all stores by doing a charge back on your credit cards. This is perfectly legal and is within your rights as a consumer. This would send shock waves through this industry for this fiasco...have fun kids.

268. Re: Wow Nov 16, 2004, 17:48 ZzeusS

well ULTRAS I don't know if we'll get to play tonight. my WoW beta account is really calling to me.

267. No subject Nov 16, 2004, 17:48 D4rkKnight

Authirization takes awhile BTW, about 10 minutes on mr 2.1ghz cable connection.

266. strange Nov 16, 2004, 17:48 Tanto Edge

I'm still logged into Steam even after three seperate retries on my cd-key verification...

Am I a monkey for sitting here trying this for... now... an hour?

Hmm.. and I'm still not flipping out. I guess maturity really has taken it's toll.

Man, they didn't even include the damned level editor!!!
I have to download that too! Arg. I KNOW they said they'd include Hammer with the HL2 release... can I sue them for that?

And Harbinger, you are officially a dick
But I can respect the intelligent.
You're still a dick though.
Oh, scuse me, I gotta go retry my authorization.
This comment was edited on Nov 16, 17:58.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

265. Re: Can't connect to Steam.... Nov 16, 2004, 17:47 Old Number 7

QUOTE "DoD isnt out yet
HL2 and HL:S were released, DoD is still being worked on."

1997 called, they want there post back!

264. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2004, 17:47 MMORPGHoD

Cool, I just found my prediction post in repsonse to some pro-steam guy so now I can be an ass and get flamed for being a doom and gloom bitcher.

October 6th, 2004

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=51938

But that's why you can pre-load the game right now. I already have the game pre-loaded on my system (and it didn't cost anything). You do NOT have to pre-order the game to pre-LOAD it. You only need a valid steam ID (which is free). Then you can pre-order (or even wait and just purchase it online the day of release and then the pre-load will be unlocked.

IMO pre-loads aren't the issue. The traffic on the content servers != traffic on the authorization servers. They are different servers, as I'm sure you already know. I want to see what happens when all the HL2 users attempt to receive the required authorization to play the single player game at the same time. I expect it'll be similar to what already happened where people who were authorized prior to the authorization servers going down were able to play, while those that hadn't been authorized yet were SOL until the authorization servers were able to come back up. Remember, we're talking about a single player game here and I expect the number of 'online' users on "release" day to far exceed anything any MMORPG has had in the past. In other words, I guarantee you they are going to initially underestimate the required servers to authorize everyone.

FLAME AWAY !!!!!!

263. Re: Can't connect to Steam.... Nov 16, 2004, 17:46 D4rkKnight

DoD isnt out yet

HL2 and HL:S were released, DoD is still being worked on.

262. Sure stopped the pirates! Nov 16, 2004, 17:45 Old Number 7

The only people who can play HL2 right now are the people who pirated it and can play without connecting to the net. Don't you find that ironic?

261. No subject Nov 16, 2004, 17:44 Rain

Give me STEAM or GIVE me DEATH!  

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae..."
------------------------------------------------

260. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2004, 17:42 jim

well...fuck it, ill, just play halo 2 for a few more days till the bullshit blows over

259. Can't connect to Steam.... Nov 16, 2004, 17:42 xXBatmanXx

"Could no connect to Steam network.
This could be due to a problem with your Internet connection, or with the Steam network. Please visit www.steampowered.com for more info."

Now why the F**K would you tell me to go to Steam if you thought it was my internet.

OF COURSE IT IS YOUR SHITTY STEAM PRODUCT!

I don't want to play HL2, I don't give a shit about HL2, I just came home from a long day of work, and would like to play DoD.

Asses.

/edit: Now I can't even open up www.steampowered.com What a pile of shit they have. What a cluster F***. So now, their shitty product has made it so I can't use the ITEMS I HAVE PAID FOR OVER 4 YEARS AGO. Dipshits.

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 17:44.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

258. No subject Nov 16, 2004, 17:40 Tanto Edge

Man, if I had known that I would require a Steam connection to authorize my CD-key... I would have just bought the Gold edition online and been done with it.

But I assumed that I'd be alright with a retail copy with a local side cd-key authorization.

Dumb ass me for letting my hopes and dreams blindside me, like a damned hammer.

On the bright side, this is doing wonders for my post count, hehehe.
I might reach Apprentice by the time HL2 verifies that I bought it.

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 17:42.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

257. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2004, 17:40 jim

YAY!!!! I HAVE 58 DOLLARS WORTH OF USELESS FUCKING PROGRAMING IM MY COMPUTER THAT I CANT USE BECAUSE STEAM IS OVERLOADED!!!

256. Wow Nov 16, 2004, 17:39 ULTRAS

People are pissed? I am just starting to load my game...had no idea until today about this Steam business =(

I hope someone at Valve gets fired for this steaming peace of wall garbage, I certainly won't fall for this twice...

535 Replies. 27 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo