Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Half-Life 2

As noted on Steam News Half-Life 2 is now officially available at retail stores throughout North America. Though Valve's highly anticipated sequel has been available early at some over-caffeinated stores (story), the online activation process is now underway, and copies of the game purchased at stores or online via Steam can now be unlocked by restarting Steam:

Half-Life 2 is available now for purchase and to play. Those who pre-purchased their copy via Steam may access the game by restarting Steam, then double-clicking on the Half-Life 2 icon in their Steam Games directory. To purchase your copy via Steam, get Steam now.

We hope you enjoy it!

View
537 Replies. 27 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

517. Re: Farcry Vs. HL2 Nov 22, 2004, 18:08 jm0ris0n

Yeah unless you have played the later levels in HL2 don't diss the gravity gun

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

516. Re: Farcry Vs. HL2 Nov 22, 2004, 18:05 PHJF

Far Cry sucked, I had really high hopes for its multiplay aspect but it bombed.

Half-Life 2 doesn't deserve GOTY either for reasons I won't get into (don't want a flame war... I am very critical for HL2 as I had ridiculously high expectations thanks to the fiasco last year)

Game of the Year... Well I didn't flat-out adore any title this past year, but I've been most, how shall I say... impressed with Rome: Total War and Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War. Personal feeling aside, they are both extremely well crafted with minimal bugs and loads of polish. On top of that, they are barrels of fun. So for GOTY pick either of those.

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

515. Re: Farcry Vs. HL2 Nov 22, 2004, 17:56 S_DOG34

Ummm...you guys have played HL2 right? The crossbow stakes people to walls. And it was not anywhere close to as fun as the gravity gun, especially later in the game. Nearly as fun as the force powers in the Jedi Knight games. Nothing beats picking a guy up off the ground with force choke and then dropping him off a cliff. Or jumping way up into the air and using force pull to slingshot storm troopers hundreds of feet into the air only to fall to their death. Or having an evil jedi jump up to attack you but stop in mid air when you force push him and he falls to his death. Now that never got old.

514. Re: Farcry Vs. HL2 Nov 22, 2004, 17:02 Tumbler

Stake gun was in Painkiller right? I have to admit with all HL2 does right, I'm always wishing I could shoot stakes at people and watch them thrash about on the wall. Stake gun wins against grav gun, no contest. Grav gun is entertaining but doesn't give you the satisfaction of seeig your enemy displayed like a trophy on the wall. Nothing beats seeing someone fly across the ground and get stuck against the wall with a stake through em.

The first stake gun i can remember was in a game called messiah, at the time no one had done anything like that, ever since then I get flash backs when I think of stake guns.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

513. Re: Farcry Vs. HL2 Nov 22, 2004, 16:37 Ihya

wow, longest thread almost ever... need to get this to replace the others as they are mostly sad...

I love the gravity gun... So the question is which is more fun, the stake gun or gravity gun? Ignore the rest of each respective game, just purely which is a more fun weapon... for me the stake gun is a riot, stapling people to walls and whatnot, and comes in ahead...

512. Re: Farcry Vs. HL2 Nov 22, 2004, 14:36 S_DOG34

Pro's - Huge expansive world. Levels are large and you don't feel forced on any path in particular. Plenty of vehicles to use, lots of hardcore action, great driving sequences. Realistic damage models. Large variety of weapons, great storyline, excellent scripting. Multiplayer is fun.

I have to disagree with the storyline. It was pretty lame. One quasi-special forces guy in a hawaiian shirt against hundreds and hundreds of dudes and mutant ape things. Not so cool.

While I haven't finished HL2 and I'm definitely critical of Valve and this game, I have to give GotY to Farcry. The absense of multiplayer is a huge knock against HL2 and despite all of Farcry's bugs it was still a fantastic game which exceptional graphics. Add that to the fact that it was released long before Doom3, and HL2 it really shows how strong this title is.

Far Cry was good fun. The graphics were amazing and there was a great deal of variety that Doom3 really lacked. But it was ultimately forgettable. Now that HL2 is here, I don't see how you can think the two are in the same league. IMO you really shouldn't declare Far Cry the winner before finishing HL2 anyways. I thought the last 2 hours of the game were the best, but I loved it throughout. I felt like I was in a war even more so than COD or MOH, which is really saying something.

Meh, I guess we like different things. For me, HL2 has the 'it' factor that so few games do. I can only imagine what the community will do with this baby.

511. Farcry Vs. HL2 Nov 22, 2004, 14:06 Tumbler

This is a tough one for me. Farcry was an awesome game but it had A LOT of bugs. The game itself was really well done and the graphics were incredible. Lemme break this down -

Pro's - Huge expansive world. Levels are large and you don't feel forced on any path in particular. Plenty of vehicles to use, lots of hardcore action, great driving sequences. Realistic damage models. Large variety of weapons, great storyline, excellent scripting. Multiplayer is fun.

Con's - Repetive gameplay, non stop action in most cases. Enemies became uber. Levels were HUGE, die very often! Bugs, bugs, and more bugs. Game was always 1 step away from freaking out. I don't remeber it completely crashing much but graphics would corrupt, sounds would go nuts, Save feature not available. AI was more aimbot than AI. Became pretty easy to deal with.

HL2

Pro's - Beautiful graphics, game is polished and works great. Immersion is extremely high in game. I feel nervous walking around and get startled when enemies pop out. Very fun vehicles, very unique enemies. Storyline feels real, a lot of attention to detail. PHYSICS. Gameplay incorporates physics and parts of the environment are destructible. CS:S comes with it for free.

Con's - It's really really late. Levels feel small, and path is very obvious and linear. Lots of loading. Enemy AI on harder levels is less about tactics and more about taking more damage and using an aimbot. (Headshots don't kill...) NO HL2 MULTIPLAYER. Req's an internet connection and a steam account to play.

While I haven't finished HL2 and I'm definitely critical of Valve and this game, I have to give GotY to Farcry. The absense of multiplayer is a huge knock against HL2 and despite all of Farcry's bugs it was still a fantastic game which exceptional graphics. Add that to the fact that it was released long before Doom3, and HL2 it really shows how strong this title is.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

510. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2004, 13:43 cronik

Ok nfsu:2 is his game of the year rofl and then he has the nerve to call GT3 the most realistic driving game ever.

I don't think you could lose anymore credibility pal,it's all GONE.

509. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2004, 12:58 PHJF

Underground 2 is fine, delivers a strong sense of speed, has gorgeous graphics, and oozes style. That's all they tried to do.

And for the record, I have not seen the AI "jump" around. While that was present in the first Underground, I can't see it in the sequel.

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

508. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2004, 12:28 Malakai

Ok so what if it is arcade like? it has what most games dont have today: Longevity. I've been playing it for nigh on 20 hours and i STILL haven't gotten to the half-way mark. This game is literally huge.

So what if there is no car damage, look at GT3, arguably the most realistic driving game ever created. It had no damage in it. NFS:U2 still has very good car physics and a decent enough sense of speed.

Plus i have no idea what you have been playing, but not once has an AI car overtaken me when i was ahead unless i was either a: going slow, b: crashed or c: not had a decent enough car to do the race.

Anyway, opinions are just opinions and obviously you don't enjoy the mindless "acting like a chav building a car you'll never ever be able to get and racing it around a town with no consequences"

507. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2004, 10:45 Retired

And i'd still say that Deus Ex was the best FPS (arguably a cross-genre, but it was an FPS none the less) game ever released. HL2 cannot touch Deus Ex in story line, feeling for the person you play as, or NPC caring about. HL2, for me, is nowhere near GoTY for me. That is reserved for NFS:U2 at the moment. If we talk about FPS, it'd be Far Cry.

NFS:U2 is garbage. It is Outrun with more to do.
The most arcade style game I have played in a looooooooooooooooooooooong time. No depth. ooo, spinnners and tinted windows. Big deal. No realism (car damage, etc) and cars still cheat and fly by you like you are standing still - even when you get a lap ahead of them, the car blips of the computer seem to "jump" around the track, as if they were being placed at that location rather than racing.

Game is the suc.

506. Re: Beat the Game Nov 21, 2004, 17:49 Cynips

I was hoping the "Hard" game had a slight twist, like Halo's Legendary end-movie (same ending with 1 extra scene).

or like Painkiller, where you get an extra map to play at the Trauma difficulty level AND a different ending

listening to http://www.progulus.com/ a mountain stream of progressive, rock and metal

505. Re: Beat the Game Nov 21, 2004, 15:00 kanniballl

D'oh.

I beat it on Normal and while the ending was cool, it was kind of <sst>sad. I guess she doesn't make it. I was kind of hoping for her to make it out ok.</sst>

I was hoping the "Hard" game had a slight twist, like Halo's Legendary end-movie (same ending with 1 extra scene).

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama
This comment was edited on Nov 21, 15:01.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

504. Re: Beat the Game Nov 21, 2004, 10:08 Gandhi

Well, I am taking it slow and steady while playing on hard, and I just picked up the gravity gun and finished playing a little "catch" I can definitely think of some serious gameplay potential here

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

503. Re: Beat the Game Nov 21, 2004, 05:08 Tango

Cool ending. However, does anyone know if the ending differs on Normal or Hard (like Halo did with Lengendary)?
No I dont think so - I did it on Normal and Easy and seems to be the same.

502. Beat the Game Nov 20, 2004, 18:58 kanniballl

Cool ending. However, does anyone know if the ending differs on Normal or Hard (like Halo did with Lengendary)?

In any case, HL-2 is a masterpiece.

-Fry, Futurmama

-Fry, Futurama

501. Re: 500!! Nov 20, 2004, 14:43 jm0ris0n

Cha-CHing !!!!!!!:D

500. 500!! Nov 20, 2004, 02:21 kanniballl

500 Posts!

-Fry, Futurmama

-Fry, Futurama

499. Re: Keep it up! Nov 20, 2004, 01:56 Cynips

OK, here's no. 499

listening to http://www.progulus.com/ a mountain stream of progressive, rock and metal

498. Re: No subject Nov 20, 2004, 01:39 nin

It rocks! And this is post 498! Two more, please!

http://www.placeboworld.co.uk

http://henryandheidi.libsyn.com/rss

537 Replies. 27 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo