Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Half-Life 2

As noted on Steam News Half-Life 2 is now officially available at retail stores throughout North America. Though Valve's highly anticipated sequel has been available early at some over-caffeinated stores (story), the online activation process is now underway, and copies of the game purchased at stores or online via Steam can now be unlocked by restarting Steam:

Half-Life 2 is available now for purchase and to play. Those who pre-purchased their copy via Steam may access the game by restarting Steam, then double-clicking on the Half-Life 2 icon in their Steam Games directory. To purchase your copy via Steam, get Steam now.

We hope you enjoy it!

View
537 Replies. 27 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

377. No subject Nov 17, 2004, 02:11 space captain

i heard 15 to 20 hours from Gamespot.... and they also said it was pretty easy on all difficulty levels

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

376. Re: I CAN SLEEP NOW Nov 17, 2004, 02:10 Creston

I HAVE CONQUERED! MEDIUM DIFFICULTY, 3:30 AM - 7:00 PM, NOT TOO SHABBY

I guess Valve lied about the "at least 32 hours of gameplay" as well?

Dammit, I need more Vampire reviews.

Creston

375. Quick summary Nov 17, 2004, 02:09 MacD

OK...to summarise this thread:

-HL2 rocks!
-HL2 is crap!
-Steam will free us from the evil publisher overlords
-Steam sucks!
-Gabe is fat!
-We can't register with Steam!
-We registered fine over Steam
-How could anyone have expected Steam to lack bandwidth on the first day of release?
-How could Valve underestimate the bandwidth needed on the first day?
-Quite a few people are jealous of some eyepatch wearing, parrot carrying folks who don't have to deal with Steam
-Vampire:Bloodlines is a better game!
-WTF is this Bloodlines people are talking about? I've never heard of it until this day!?
-Bloodlines sucks
-...and apeprenetly smonee hree lekis pie...

Wow...I love the level of discussion on Blues' come any big release thread...it's even better than a Derek Smart thread!

374. Who'd have thought Nov 17, 2004, 01:59 Creston

Masses of people are having Steam problems. Didn't you all KNOW that this was going to happen? I mean, didn't all of us, except the "OMFG VALVE = G0D!!!!" fanboys, predict this was going to happen?

You think Valve was going to dodge what every single popular MMOG has had to deal with? Not today.

Ofcourse not. Why would they? Gamers all over the world buy the game like fucking sheep, bitch and moan that it doesn't work, get it registered and playable within the next week or so, then play, forget, and happily go out and buy the next game of the same developer / publisher.
Why WOULD they alter their practices? I see everyone saying that Valve has "umpteen terabytes of bandwith!!!", and just shake my head because it doesn't mean shit in this instance. The reason Steam isn't registering, or letting you connect, is because Valve is out of concurrent database connections.

Now, they could do (or better said, have done) two things.

1) Invest heavily to upgrade their concurrent connections. Basically this means parallel servers, preferably with multiple Xeon processors handling them. This costs a lot of money, and all the extra power is a waste one week after the initial rush of registering.

2) Just say, fuck it, eventually everyone will register, and then we're good.

Guess which option they chose? Guess which option EVERY game developer chooses?
And guess which of you keep happily splurging on the very first day, then act all surprised that once again, shit doesn't work?

As for Bloodlines, Gamespy had a decent review, but nothing spectacular. It seems Troika once again rushed to release something, and the end result is far less than it could have been. Sigh...

I see that a lot of people are saying HL2 is great, and some of those people weren't even the fanboys who were saying how great HL2 was a year back, so I guess I might pick it up sometime next March or so, when there's nothing else to play.

Btw, Valve, good show on your "Piracy Prevention" device, aka steam. I'm looking at xx thousand people downloading your game on edonkey right now. Excellent work.

Creston

373. Re: ATi Voucher question Nov 17, 2004, 01:48 TS7

If you have the voucher, you can download steam, and instantly purchase Half-Life 2. No 8-10 weeks of waiting. Go ahead and download the steam pack, and then when you click HL2 to play it, enter in the scratch-off code from the voucher.

They got rid of the whole 8-10 week thing after HL2 got delayed 80-100 weeks. =)

372. No subject Nov 17, 2004, 01:26 WebDemon

Quite simply spectacular. I am so pleased with this game, it's stunning. I haven't enjoyed a game like this in a long time.

I like Pie.

371. Yes Nov 17, 2004, 01:11 Stolk

In response to many inquiries, I would just like to respond and say yes, I do have, and am much enjoying this game. It is quite a treat.

370. Re: Pretty heated Nov 17, 2004, 01:02 PHJF

4.5 gigs is petty, my N64 roms folder is 35.3 gigs.

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

369. Re: Pretty heated Nov 17, 2004, 00:59 jm0ris0n

Wow. It's pretty hot in here. So... how's the game?

Ask me in 12 hours...&^&*(^( slow servers...

368. Re: No subject Nov 17, 2004, 00:46 Kosumo

Even thought it is out and I have a copy and I sat thought the whole 90 install with my friend steam, I still did not belive they had shipped it even when I was playing it until Barney handed me my crowbar.

367. Pretty heated Nov 17, 2004, 00:42 VT Hoodlum

<walks into the thread>

Hey guys, what's happ...

<surveys the great swath of destruction this inferno of a thread has burned into Blues's News>

Wow. It's pretty hot in here. So... how's the game?

366. Re: ATi Voucher question Nov 17, 2004, 00:18 AirWreck

Right, I don't know what I was thinking. I just checked out the CDs in the mail option, and wow it seems clear they want people to choose steam. 8-10 weeks, 3 proofs of purchase, $10 shipping. But maybe you can tell them you want the CD's and go ahead and do steam. It's not like you're ripping anyone off that way. Don't know.

365. 5 minutes later.... Nov 17, 2004, 00:09 Tei

4.5 GB required? Ouch.

364. Re: ATi Voucher question Nov 16, 2004, 23:58 Tei

You can back up the files on CD yourself if you wish.

It's not even the file backing up part that bothers me so much, I just like having an "official" box/cd/manual goodies to stare at. (Yeah I know offical box/cd doesn't matter, its the game that counts but I'm a freak) I don't think the shipped version comes with a cd-key though, the voucher itself is a cd-key. If ATi does ship it with a key its probably the same one as on the voucher.

One things for sure, I'm not waiting 8-10 weeks for a CD either.

This comment was edited on Nov 17, 00:00.

363. Re: Me too Nov 16, 2004, 23:57 MapleBob

I would just like to be a part of this historic thread. I don't have HL2 yet if that means anything to anyone

To me, it means you're smarter then I was.

But I'm not really smart enough at this point to envy you your intellegence.

I actually HOPE that I will be playing the game sometime tonight, even though I have a bit to do when I get home.

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 23:59.

362. Re: ATi Voucher question Nov 16, 2004, 23:44 AirWreck

It would seem that way, I chose the steam option (I'd rather play now than in 8-10 weeks) and there was no indication that getting the boxed version was possible. And since the boxed version come with a cd key, they would have to remove that for you. Which they won't. You can back up the files on CD yourself if you wish.

361. Me too Nov 16, 2004, 23:42 Fang

I would just like to be a part of this historic thread. I don't have HL2 yet if that means anything to anyone.

360. ATi Voucher question Nov 16, 2004, 23:37 Tei

Ok, here's the deal:

I have an ATi Voucher. On the Voucher offer website http://www.atihl2offer.com/ its written that I can either use my key and download the Hl2 via Steam, or I can send a copy of the voucher away for a physical CD. My question is, can I do both? i.e. If I register in Steam now, do I forfeit the chance to get the CD-Rom?

359. Re: OMFG!!!!! Nov 16, 2004, 22:58 MapleBob

God how I envy you people.

I hope I get it running when I get home.

I really, really, really, really want to hate Valve and Gabe Newell forever though. And steam.

Gaming is suposed to be about fun and forgetting the stupid burocratic shit they make us put up with in real life.

Maybe this is Valve's attempt at Super Realism(TM). I've warned about this for years, that the more like real life games become the more they will suck.

That's what I liked about Painkiller, how the bodies flew like rag dolls. Doom 3 was more realistic and less fun, IMO. But more scary, but I didn't really like the scary part.

Of course, nothing in my long gaming career had prepared me for Steam. I should have probably played some of those MMO games that I never cared about. Just to season myself.

Oh well. I'll take up voodoo or obeah and make a Gabe Newell voodoo doll and a Valve company voodoo doll. Stick a pin in and twist it. Over and over and over again.

358. Re: OMFG!!!!! Nov 16, 2004, 22:42 kanniballl

I just barely started down in the sewers, and just got the SMG.. and I hope we get off this dumb 'five of the same puzzles in a row using the physics engine' kick and get to some good firefights

At the point you're describing, you might be facing just a couple more "physics" puzzles. After that, the puzzles are more spread out and rely less on the physics engine (with a few exceptions).

You'll get a lot of fighting eventually, but that's around the time you start getting more weapons. The beginning is kind of "run for your life."

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

537 Replies. 27 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo