Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Half-Life 2

As noted on Steam News Half-Life 2 is now officially available at retail stores throughout North America. Though Valve's highly anticipated sequel has been available early at some over-caffeinated stores (story), the online activation process is now underway, and copies of the game purchased at stores or online via Steam can now be unlocked by restarting Steam:

Half-Life 2 is available now for purchase and to play. Those who pre-purchased their copy via Steam may access the game by restarting Steam, then double-clicking on the Half-Life 2 icon in their Steam Games directory. To purchase your copy via Steam, get Steam now.

We hope you enjoy it!

View
535 Replies. 27 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

435. No subject Nov 17, 2004, 19:05 Malakai

Am i the only person here that seems to think HL2 is distinctly average?

The game is slowly starting to bore me with every passing minute that i play it. Annoying "puzzles" to solve, scripted sequences everywhere and so predictable it isnt funny? When i was in Ravenholm there was one scene where i knew instantly what was going to happen. Lo and behold a second later, exactly what i thought would happen did.

Now it might be because i'm a very hard gamer to please (most games i have have been half completed before i got bored of them and consequently have never been touched again. Only exception was System Shock 2) but i still would have thought that this being the most anticipated game in a while and so hyped up it would have offered something more.

The enemy AI is good i agree, so is the physics engine and the graphics are pretty good too. But the gameplay of it just bores me. The vehicle parts are a great idea, but when driving them it seems to me you drive them for about a minute before having to load the next sequence or jump out and do some inane, predictable and boring job like raise a dam or something, where there are, suprisingly, a lot of enemies.

I'm not going to diss steam, i think it did it's just fine considering the amount of bandwidth/stress was put upon it.

Edit: I also meant to say it also plays like an extended tech demo. Just Valve saying "Look what you can do with our engine and be wowed by our physics"

This comment was edited on Nov 17, 19:08.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

434. Re: Ebgames.com kicks ass Nov 17, 2004, 19:03 MapleBob

Enemy AI. I really have to say that I'm impressed with the enemy AI.

Me too, for as far as I am. I also like the way the game propels the player forward instead of like Doom where if you move forward, you get a monster pop out at you, but if you just want to stay in one place, you pretty much can.

I still hate Vavle, Gabe Newell, Steam, and the forum brownshirts, but the game is pretty good so far.

433. Re: Ebgames.com kicks ass Nov 17, 2004, 18:59 MapleBob

I thought it was common knowledge that no matter how you got the game, you'd be using Steam.

Well, it wasn't.

Not all of us are of the Party. Or get the Offical Valve Party newsletter.

432. Re: Ebgames.com kicks ass Nov 17, 2004, 18:46 Tumbler

Enemy AI. I really have to say that I'm impressed with the enemy AI. It's fun to play against. Within 10 min of starting the game I had one of those, OMG, did you see that?! moments. I was running away from some enemies when some other baddies popped up in front of me on an elevated area I couldn't get to. There were a few explosive cans around so I popped some bullets into them and got the burning then ducked behind a wall and waited for my clever plan to unfold. The cans blew and I stepped out with a smug grin, hah hah, got u, and to my shock the same 2 baddies stepped out from behind their own walls and continued firing at me. :0

That was really cool. Looking forward to many more awesome AI battles.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

431. Re: Ebgames.com kicks ass Nov 17, 2004, 18:40 nin

To the people that bought retail to avoid Steam:

How did you think you were going to patch the game?

I thought it was common knowledge that no matter how you got the game, you'd be using Steam.

http://www.placeboworld.co.uk

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

430. Re: Got the story, USians? Nov 17, 2004, 17:41 Toxic_Metal

Fuck You Too!

Fuckin' Troll

Their freedom was taken away as they crashed . . .

-- "So Long, and thanks for all the fish..."

429. Re: Ebgames.com kicks ass Nov 17, 2004, 17:40 The Half Elf

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=645921

Gamestop for ya mentions having a internet connection for the game. "During initial installation of Half-Life 2 an internet connection is required to authenticate the game.
"

Date/
Time Location Activity

Nov 16, 2004
9:39 A.M.
ORLANDO, FL, US
DELIVERY
7:23 A.M. ORLANDO, FL, US OUT FOR DELIVERY
6:54 A.M. ORLANDO, FL, US ARRIVAL SCAN
6:47 A.M. ORLANDO, FL, US DEPARTURE SCAN
5:57 A.M. ORLANDO, FL, US ARRIVAL SCAN
4:19 A.M. LOUISVILLE, KY, US DEPARTURE SCAN
1:39 A.M. LOUISVILLE, KY, US ORIGIN SCAN
Nov 15, 2004
12:20 A.M.
US
BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

And I preordered on the 15th at 3pm'ish heh.

Yes EB is good at delivering the goods.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

428. Re: Got the story, USians? Nov 17, 2004, 17:38 Toxic_Metal

And complaining about the whiners makes you an even bigger whinier wanker... So there!

-- "So Long, and thanks for all the fish..."

427. Awesome Game turned to crap in the end.. Nov 17, 2004, 17:35 The Half Elf

The biggest thing I hated about this game was the fact that it autosaved all the time. Now this in itself isn't an issue but when it does it every few mins at certain locations especially during the end it's horrible. Why? Cause when it saves or autosaves it takes a screenshot to show you were the game was saved at, the problem is it can take upwords of 15 seconds to do so. And the autosave points go up in number especially towards the end of the game.

Due to the game going through these auto save points the game would stop for 15 seconds and auto save and it really took me out of the awesome game experiance I was having, and was almost to the point of forcing myself to finish the game just to see the ending. And as far as I have found there is no way to turn it off. The only other time I have every yelled and screamed at a game was during Doom 3 when things would pop out of those secret compartments and the cheap shots.

But I will say that without a doubt the character models acting etc is without a doubt the best of any game and pretty close to any movie I have ever seen.

Including (Super Secret Text):
Alyex with Dog, I never thought something without a face could show so much emotion especially after she first introduces him to you. The way the neck moves and the head plates move etc was very surprising. And also Kliener and Lamar lol. Lamar gets his very own solo after the credits

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

426. Ebgames.com kicks ass Nov 17, 2004, 17:32 Tumbler

EBgames.com gets a gold star.
The info came in after the game got delivered but I have to say I'm very pleased with their delivery of the game.
This was the UPS info off the shipping of HL-2. All times are on 11/16. Hats off to ebgames for shipping my game to me at 1 am so I can have it in hand by 10am that morning.

12:55 A.M. LOUISVILLE, KY, US ORIGIN SCAN
2:11 A.M. LOUISVILLE, KY, US DEPARTURE SCAN
3:38 A.M. OAKLAND, CA, US ARRIVAL SCAN
4:49 A.M. OAKLAND, CA, US DEPARTURE SCAN
6:00 A.M. SAN RAMON, CA, US ARRIVAL SCAN
8:00 A.M. SAN RAMON, CA, US OUT FOR DELIVERY
9:49 A.M. SAN RAMON, CA, US DELIVERY
7:28 P.M. US BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

As WarHawk already mentioned, it was pretty clear; especially to most of the more loyal BluesNews readers.

As a loyal blues reader I'd have to disagree. Can you point to any official announcements prior to the game launching that made this clear? I remember reading many things but most were just ppl saying, I heard this, and I heard that. It was always understood that Online play would require authentication like the first half-life but offline play was vaguely tip toed around saying "there would be an offline mode", "ppl without an internet connection could still play the game", etc. Furthermore EBgames.com doesn't even have system requirements listed yet. Gogamer.com has requirements but they do not include an internet connection. CompUSA has requirements, they don't list internet connection. Best Buy lists the requirements, doesn't have internet connection required. Circuit city (drum roll) No mention of internet connection required. I think I've made my point. This was not mentioned prior to launch and previous to boxes arriving in stores was not mentioned. As far as I can tell the first time anyone actually knew an internet connection was required was after they had the game in hand.

I like the game, I am enjoying playing it, but that little fact really pisses me off because I specifically purchased the CE retail version so I wouldn't have to deal with Steam.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

425. Re: This is good Nov 17, 2004, 17:24 jm0ris0n

Yay, I finally have a working CD-Key !

Ahh,nothing like a menu screen Go laptop Go !

(I am stoked this game supports 1280x800 resolution (my lcd's ratio)

424. This is good Nov 17, 2004, 17:12 cronik

Fun is the word here, this game is amazing.

423. Re: 6 years for this! Nov 17, 2004, 17:05 MapleBob

Those of you who did have problems with steam have to realize that this technology is inevitable. Steam has a some bugs, just like any other software out there. It will mature, especially after this massive load test (selling HL2 and the back catalog) Valve just put on it. Stop friggin whining and join us all in modern times

Just like the Austrians realized that annexation was inevetable and didn't put up a fight?

They're not charging me $55 to tell me where and when I can play my game. They are not annexing my hard drive without some form of resistance from me.

No one will even tell me what the fuck steam is or why I need to for a single player game. I don't play multi-player much anyway. Diablo II a bit but mostly at lan parties.

I am severely distrustful of this technology and a bunch of brownshirts threatening me, telling me to look the other way only makes me hate this whole situation more.

GABE NEWELL IS THE ANTI-CHRIST OF GAMING!

422. Re: 6 years for this! Nov 17, 2004, 16:58 Beamer

Let me guess, the guy who started this discussion is from the UK?

Nope, US.
[i]Whatever their heritage, in computer jargon today it is common for the k-spelling to refer mainly to magnetic storage devices, while the c-spelling is customary for optical media such as the compact disc and similar technologies. Even in the computing field, however, the terms are used inconsistently; software documentation often uses the k-spelling exclusively.[/i]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_or_disc

Other interpretations are that all computer ones are disks and all entertainment ones are discs (look at the compact disc logo in any jewel case), but by and large the standard is magnetic is a disk and optical is a disc.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

421. Re: 6 years for this! Nov 17, 2004, 15:46 MindTrigger

I've been in the IT industry for 12 years. We call everything a "disk". Rarely do I ever see anyone use the word "disc", and when I do, they still specify the type they are referring to. Let me guess, the guy who started this discussion is from the UK?

---
http://www.oceas.com/SpreadFireFox

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

420. Re: 6 years for this! Nov 17, 2004, 15:21 Jim

...and the inability to tell the difference between a disk and a disc.

I never understood the distinction. A disk has always been a round thing with data on it. Then the opticals come out and they change the 'k' to a 'c', but it is essentially the same thing when it comes down to the basics.

I'd like to add a 3rd distinction but only for plurality. So instead of having disks and discs, we should also have disx.

Then of course you can use "disk" but replace the 's' with a soft 'c', and end up with "dick". Or the "disc" option with a soft 'c' instead of the 's', "dicc". Replace the 'i' with a 'y' to get "dycc". Throw in a couple of silent 'h's for good measure: "dhycch", the y is phonetically a short 'i', but should be supplimented with the 'gh' (as in neighbor and weigh): "dhyghcch"

Please insert dhyghcch 2

This comment was edited on Nov 17, 15:41.

Jim

419. Re: 6 years for this! Nov 17, 2004, 15:20 Beamer

You must have read it incoherently because nowhere do I blame the install problems on Steam. Mearly that I find it an unnecessary, bloated, intrusive, piece of crap that should not be needed to play the game. What if someone without the internet wanted to play? They do exist.

Well, you have a long rant about things you hate, then turn it into a rant about Steam without giving reasons why you dislike Steam, so they two seem connected.

You do not need to be connected to Steam to play, you merely need to connect once. Yes, people without a net connection may want to play, but the amount is insignificant, and Valve is betting that there are more people that will decide not to pirate due to the difficulty here than will not be able to play due to lack of an internet connection.

It's a smart bet.

You're writing off Valve because the game gave you a short time of frustration while you installed. Ok, fine. We'll enjoy the games, you don't have to. We'll think your reasoning is stupid, but this is the internet - you're allowed to reach rash conclusions for dumb reasons and we're allowed to call you dumb for it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

418. Re: 6 years for this! Nov 17, 2004, 15:10 kanniballl

My biggest complaint is regarding the retail versions / Steam versions. I don't recall anyone ever stating that the retail version would be locked up just like the steam version, unable to be played without registering and unlocking via steam. I was under the impression that purchasing it in the store enabled you to play the single player experience on your own, completely free or any steam registration.

As WarHawk already mentioned, it was pretty clear; especially to most of the more loyal BluesNews readers.

I always knew it (I read posts that explicitly said it) even when I had pre-ordered the CE edition from ebgames.com. But after I heard how easy it was to back stuff up (before they released the backup tool), I cancelled the pre-order and switched to a Steam purchase instead.

I don't know why so many people are up in arms over needing Steam. You don't have to start it when Windows boots (there's on option to start it on-demand), it doesn't use any cycles, and doesn't consume THAT much memory. A little bloated, perhaps, but with 1GB of RAM, I can live with it.

I guess some people need to find something bad in everything; which makes me wonder how some of them find significant others.

Here, we have a kick-ass game but people are flipping out over it's distribution / piracy-prevention system. I mean, come on people, learn to enjoy life and stop complaining about every little thing.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama
This comment was edited on Nov 17, 15:11.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

417. Re: 6 years for this! Nov 17, 2004, 14:23 DFactor

It will mature! Damn, human beings mature faster then steam.

416. Re: 6 years for this! Nov 17, 2004, 14:17 DFactor

Disk and Disc, how foolish of me. Should be hung.
You must have read it incoherently because nowhere do I blame the install problems on Steam. Mearly that I find it an unnecessary, bloated, intrusive, piece of crap that should not be needed to play the game. What if someone without the internet wanted to play? They do exist.
And if you think I've been sitting around reading every little fanboy post just waiting for HL2 to drop you are mistaken.
I just figured that they(valve) would be trying to set the bar higher for such a high profile release. Wrong again. It happens to me quite often. Poor consumer? Maybe? But it doesn't change the fact of my statement that there will be no replay value without those modes.
If I had a game like HL that spawned an entire online community, I would sure as hell want my next release to please that same community instead of disappointing it. But that's just my opinion. As I stated, I been wrong before.
Are there a lot on anti-steam rants? Does that tell you something?

535 Replies. 27 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo