Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Unreal Tournament 2004 Patch

The fifth patch for Unreal Tournament 2004 is now available, updating Epic's science fiction shooter sequel to version 3339. The full version 3339 patch is identical to the beta patch, and is multiplayer compatible with the previous versions of the game. In addition, Epic has also released a new version 3339 compatible version of the Editor's Choice Edition bonus pack to replace the current version. Word is: "It is fully compatible with 3339. Users who install this patch after having already installed the old version of the bonuspack will not need to download this new bonuspack, which is intended only for fresh bonus pack installs." The 84 MB updated bonus pack is available on 3D Gamers, 4Players.de, Boomtown (registration required), FileFront, Gameguru Mania, and Worthplaying. The 13 MB patch can be downloaded from 3D Gamers, 4Players.de, ActionTrip, Boomtown (registration required), FileFront, Gameguru Mania, Gamer's Hell, GameSpot DLX (registration required), and Worthplaying.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Some UT, UT2003, UT2004 thoughts... Nov 16, 2004, 01:10 STATIC3D

A friend of ours was over at a LAN party. He was more of a Quake-head player. He played UT too, but, his idea of being good was being good with a rocket launcher. We were playing some DM and he tried to kill my wife. He would grab a RL and start after her.

Three times in a row she took him out with nothing but akimbo pistols. He said, "how did you do that? I had the rocket launcher!" My wife looked at him and simply said, "Who taught me how to play?" (referring to me). He just said, "Oh yeah." LMAO.

That was one of the fun things about UT(99), just because you only had the default weapon (or akimbo version), you could still take out someone with a RL or more "powerful" weapon. Also, you could be rewarded with kills for multiple shot accuracy rather than just splash dammage or one shot kill weapons.

One time, this same guy and I played online with each other and some bots. For some reason (back in those 56K days) my ping to his server was like 600. I ended up winning the match and the guy asked "How the h3ll did you do that?" (win with a 600 ping over his 0 ping). I told him, "It's all about aim and leading your target."

Since I knew how to use guns in Real Life (tm), I knew about leading targets due to distance from a moving target. I simply applied that to the lag from the time I clicked the mouse to the time my shot would happen (about 1/2 second later). I guess it worked, cuz I won. :}

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Some UT, UT2003, UT2004 thoughts... Nov 15, 2004, 22:47 CrimsonPaw

The slower pace of gameplay allowed them to not feel like they needed to be on tons of caffine and no doze just to play.

I'm thinking this is why I loved UT(99) too. A couple Q3 friends would make fun of me and ask me to play in the geriatrics ward. I guess I'm all for a slower pace, that's why I've always been a fan of Soldier of Fortune 2's multiplayer. It's not twitch play; it's fast enough that you're not hunting people out, but slow enough to appreciate the kill.

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 22:48.

~~Crim~~

23. Some UT, UT2003, UT2004 thoughts... Nov 15, 2004, 21:10 STATIC3D

I was one of those lone (or minority) voices that spoke out against the UT2003 game for being more Quake like than UT(99) like. My friends and I played the H377 out of UT(99). Had it not been for someone trying to "port" (coff steal coff) one of my level designs, I would not have purchased UT2003. I did so in order to beat them to the punch with the official finished version. Lucky for me I got a copy of UT2003 for only $17.30 tax and all (Toys R Us was clearing em out).

I got blasted by tons of ppl on the official UT forums for originally speaking out against the UT2003 gameplay. I found it funny how many ppl (mostly reviewers that gushed over the graphics originally) came out of the woodwork to denounce UT2003 once UT2004 came out and had OBVIOUS changes made to the gameplay in order to make it more UT(99) like. If the things that were done to UT2003 had been exactly what Epic/etc. wanted (as they stated), then there would have been little reason to change them (coff back coff) in UT2004.

In any case, my wife and I STILL fire up UT(99) and play it from time to time. While UT2004 has it's place as a fun romp every now and then, there is just something "special" (no, not short bus special) about UT(99) that has not be captured again since. EVERY person I showed how to play FPS games gravitated towards (understood/liked) UT(99). The slower pace of gameplay allowed them to not feel like they needed to be on tons of caffine and no doze just to play.

That was the reason UT(99) grabbed such a foothold against Quake 3. Newer players felt they had a chance to learn how to play. The faster speed of Q3 was a bit of a barrier some ppl didn't feel they could deal with/get used to just in order to have fun...not that Q3 wasn't fun, because it was fun too (just not AS fun as UT, imho). Every player I showed UT(99) to that wasn't a FPS fan was able to become one with that game.

If anything, the yearly style release of games (sports style) on consoles shows that people are willing to move on to the next version quickly. As long as nothing really major changes, the old version goes by the wayside. This sort of thing makes it hard for mod creators to feel like they want to put months of hard work into something that's just going to change and lose an audience anyway. With UT(99) coming out, you knew you were not likely to see a "new" one out within just a year or two. This gave more people both the time (and confidence) to be willing to invest their efforts into creating some fun mods.

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 21:11.

22. Re: No subject Nov 15, 2004, 20:01 trog

Good point, although funny enough if you look at that same stats page for today (http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/), UT2K4 is the 4th most popular game (those half-life stats have to be wrong, I mean 60K half-life players compared to ~5500 for the next closest game?)

They are wrong - but the wrong way to which you're assuming Check out: http://www.steampowered.com/status/status.html

21. Re: No subject Nov 15, 2004, 19:48 Pedle Zelnip

I think the issue of today is just there are so many more games that are played. Many more great multiplayer games than back then.

Good point, although funny enough if you look at that same stats page for today (http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/), UT2K4 is the 4th most popular game (those half-life stats have to be wrong, I mean 60K half-life players compared to ~5500 for the next closest game?)

But I'd agree with the sentiment that UT99 had a certain magic that hasn't been captured by Epic (or arguably anyone else) since.

PZ
------------
Reading: Peter Singer's "Animal Liberation"

PZ
------------

20. No subject Nov 15, 2004, 19:09 sponge

About 1999, I think Epic just hit right place, right time. What games were there?

...anyone?

The only major MP games were UT, Q3, CS, Tribes

http://web.archive.org/web/20000816052308/www.gamespy.com/stats/

That's from May of 2000 mind you.

I think the issue of today is just there are so many more games that are played. Many more great multiplayer games than back then.
This comment was edited on Nov 15, 19:10.

19. Re: Yay! UT2004 bashing! Nov 15, 2004, 19:08 4D-Boxing

I have no problems with ut2004... got my moneys worth, the game was polished ..few bugs etc.

2004 did not have the same magic as the first UT but it's d@mn good! With those nods you actually see team play unlike what we see in most games. I'm 31 & i can still handle the twitch fest even though i don't find it that fast. A good driving game requires as much fast twitch fibers as deathmatch in UT2004 so unless i want to be stuck playing sims & tycoon games for the rest of my days
i have to keep those twitch fibers active

IF who ever makes the UT games listens to the online community & gamers in general the next UT should bring the franchise back to it's good old glory days.

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 19:10.

18. Re: No subject Nov 15, 2004, 18:39 John

Actually. How many mods will probably go LIVE tomorrow? Theres like over 30 mods in production with plenty of screenshots and models completed already.

Really? I didn't know they released the tools to everyone. How is CS2 coming along?

This space is available for rent

17. Re: *hums the Halo 2 theme* Nov 15, 2004, 18:38 Gandhi

BTW anyone know of a good mouse/keyboard controller thingie for the Xbox?

I just ordered one of these to go with my XBox. Hopefully it will arrive in time for my Christmas break.

http://www.avault.com/hardware/getreview.asp?review=sjfrag

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

16. *hums the Halo 2 theme* Nov 15, 2004, 18:33 The Half Elf

UT2004? Honestly it's too much twitch for my tastes anymore, and can't bring myself to reinstall it.

And the nice thing about November, is that for most gamers it's Xmas come early. I mean GTA: SA, Halo 2, Doom 3, Half Life 2, Everquest 2, Need for Speed Underground 2, etc etc etc....

Now if only GTA:SA and hopefully a good translation of Halo 2 would come out for the PC.

BTW anyone know of a good mouse/keyboard controller thingie for the Xbox?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

15. Re: No subject Nov 15, 2004, 18:13 DG

there are NO players left in ut2003.
334 right now, which to all intents and purposes is the same thing. But hey, thats more than doom3!

Meanwhile UT2k4 has 3929.
But UT manages 2173. Admittedly most are playing what I assume is TacOps.

* all numbers from the altogether unreliable http://gamespy.com/stats

New Topic: is the insane popularity of CS a boost or a killer to all other multiplayer games?

14. Yay! UT2004 bashing! Nov 15, 2004, 18:08 Ratty

I still love the original UT. I still play it almost everyday. I hated UT2003 but so did everybody else. I bought UT2004 because everybody said it was so incredible--plus Assault and the sniper rifle are back! But I've only played it a few days then put it away and went back to the original.

I figured I was just getting old, complaining about how games were better in *my* day, plus I really do play fewer and fewer games each year--seems like I just don't like as much as I used to. So is it me, or did the original UT just have a special magic perfection that Epic has never been able to capture again?

13. Re: No subject Nov 15, 2004, 17:54 hiya

Its a better game, but more difficult, and less rewarding to play, at least for me.

Its less accessible to noobs, and while its more refined, balanced, and "better" in almost every way, its missing the indefinable "fun factor" that UT99 had in spades. Strange.
The fragmenting of the online FPS audience certainly has something to do with it as well...in 99 the onslaught of WWII online games hadn't even started.

12. Re: ok so umm... Nov 15, 2004, 17:52 Shadowcat

"It is fully compatible with 3339. Users who install this patch after having already installed the old version of the bonuspack will not need to download this new bonuspack, which is intended only for fresh bonus pack installs."
does this mean i need the bonus pack first before i apply the patch?

even more confusingly:
"This patch should be installed *after* installing the Epic ECE Bonus Pack, as it updates some of the game code included with the bonus pack."

Now I don't have the ECE bonus pack, and while I can deal with downloading 13MB, 84M is a serious undertaking on dial-up that I'm not really interested in doing just at the moment. That doesn't mean I won't get it at a later date, though, so WTF happens then?

I'm guessing that the above quote is referring to the original bonus pack only, but given that the two new files are being released together, this is a silly slip in communicating what's going on if that's the case.

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 17:55.

11. Re: ok so umm... Nov 15, 2004, 17:39  famished 

I'm a little drunk too. Can we unlock HL2 now? *Goes back to the insanely large world of Morrowind*

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 17:42.

10. Re: No subject Nov 15, 2004, 17:37 Gandhi

Simply put, it's just not that great of a game.

Is it a great game? May be not. Is it a fun game? Hell yes!!! I got more than my $$ worth from this game - I won't complain.

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

9. Re: No subject Nov 15, 2004, 17:24 Com

Probably because A) the yearly UT updates fragments the total number of players, and from the smaller pool of UT2K4 players B) all the mods fragment the community even more.

I don't see how that's true considering that there are NO players left in ut2003. UT99 had many mods as well yet at its peak there were 7-8k players on every night. In fact, if you take away onslaught, there are fewer players in ut2004 than in ut99.

And UT99 didn't have nearly the same exposure that ut2k* games did. Simply put, it's just not that great of a game.

8. Re: No subject Nov 15, 2004, 17:23 Michael Bolton's hair dresser

I love RO though lets face it, theres like only 3 servers ever at a time in RO that have players in it. That like less than 100 players at any given time playing RO or other mods

I like it that way though as it keeps the fucktard population low.

Dr. Michael Bolton's Hairdreser PhD, MD, LLP, DDS

7. Re: No subject Nov 15, 2004, 16:46 Gandhi

I do love UT2k4 though some odd reason it doesn't have as big community or amounts of players as it should

Probably because A) the yearly UT updates fragments the total number of players, and from the smaller pool of UT2K4 players B) all the mods fragment the community even more.

Not that I am complaining about any of these great mods, mind you

6. No subject Nov 15, 2004, 16:20 Xero

Actually. How many mods will probably go LIVE tomorrow? Theres like over 30 mods in production with plenty of screenshots and models completed already. Amen to Valve releasing the tools early to get head start on mod community. Theres already tons of CSS maps that have hit fileplanet and I can't imagine how many more for HL2. Not to mentoin SvenCoOp team are planning on their release of their Coop HL2 mod. UT2k4 has some good mods and I love RO though lets face it, theres like only 3 servers ever at a time in RO that have players in it. That like less than 100 players at any given time playing RO or other mods. It's just not enough. I do love UT2k4 though some odd reason it doesn't have as big community or amounts of players as it should =/

"This my finest sword. If in your journey you should encounter God, God will be cut." -Hattori Hanzo ~Kill Bill

Currently playing: Skyrim

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo