Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 for Sale?

Valve sends an explanation for why Half-Life 2 is not being activated at this time in spite of the couple reports of it being available at retail already:

Half-Life 2 For Sale?

If you have purchased a copy of Half-Life 2, we are sorry you are still waiting to play. This is not Valve's choice. Vivendi is insisting that the game has not yet been released, and has threatened that Valve would be in violation of its contract if we activate the Half-Life 2 Steam authentication servers at this time.

Thanks for your patience and we will update you when we have more news to share.

View
239 Replies. 12 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

139. Re: Nov 14, 2004, 11:15 Gandhi

I'd say this is the ultimate piracy test.

And so far, no reports of warez versions have surfaced. I doubt anyone will be able to hack it until after Steam activates it.

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

138. Re: Nov 14, 2004, 11:14 Sty

Too bad, you're going to miss out on one of the best gaming experiences of your life.

lol Riiiight.

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

137. Re: Nov 14, 2004, 10:30 MMORPGHoD

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the pirates are playing right now. How ironic would that be?

The demand is extremely high, the game is out there, the bragging rights are huge, and at the moment no legit customer can play. I'd say this is the ultimate piracy test.

136. Re: Nov 14, 2004, 10:24 Fantaz

Too bad, you're going to miss out on one of the best gaming experiences of your life.

135. Re: activate this Nov 14, 2004, 10:13 MMORPGHoD

Heheh.. all these people who paid money and have a HL2 box sitting on their desk.. and they can't play single player without getting permission from Valve first.

The story isn't over yet. Everyone will get activated on the same day...

134. Re: activate this Nov 14, 2004, 10:09 Tehol

thnx for the info creacher.

133. Re: No subject Nov 14, 2004, 09:20 terrapin

Yeah.. most crdit card companies will cover any fraud over $50 in Australia. I assume it's similar elsewhere.

132. Re: Nov 14, 2004, 09:02 Sty

It is cheaper to buy from Steam.

It's cheaper not to buy the fucking thing at all. (I will be skipping it gladly.) I loved Half-Life, but after two years of hype and BS I'm so sick of hearing about this damn game. Screw VU and Valve. They can shove Steam up both their asses.

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

131. Re: activate this Nov 14, 2004, 08:44 creacher

what happens if u want to install hl2 in two different computers? do u have to buy two copies?legally i am guessing u have to, but.....i dont...dont want to buy same game twice.hope some one soon crack this

reason i am asking this because end of this month my long holiday begins and i going back home.so can i install the game in my home computer agin and play it?

In your case, all you would have to do is install steam on your computer at home and login. It would download all the necessary files and you could play just as you could from your other computer. I do it all the time

The only downside is of course, you can't play simultaneously if logged in under the same account.

130. Re: No subject Nov 14, 2004, 08:15 Swerv

No you're not right, at least not for all crdit card companies.

129. Re: No subject Nov 14, 2004, 08:12 Krovven

That isnt true. My mom had someone use her Visa card #. Racked up $3000 on the card, she didnt have to pay a thing. In fact Visa was the the one that called my mom to tell her of the unusual activity on her card.

----------------------------------------------------
Zero Tolerance Games Counter-Strike: Source server.
http://www.ztgames.com

128. Re: No subject Nov 14, 2004, 07:56 Tehol

Banks get robbed...where do you keep your money? In a bank.

if i understand right u dont lose money if banks get robbed and also banks are insured.if u r victim of some credit card hack u still have to pay,banks dont give a shit who used ur card as long as they have ur credit info.am i right so far?

127. Re: No subject Nov 14, 2004, 07:26 Krovven

Furthmore, neither HL 1: Source nor DoD: Source are ready yet, development only started recently on them.

Sorry but wrong. DoD:Source development started somewhat recently. HL:Source is in the Collectors Edition box and has been pre-loaded as part of HL2.

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 07:27.

126. Re: No subject Nov 14, 2004, 07:04 Undead Scottsman

Considering that Gabe said that they sent a RC for Half-Life: Source to Vivindi the same day they sent the first HL2 RC, and that the Collectors Edition comes with HL: Source, and that HL: Source has already been reviewed in several magazines...

Well, I think you know where I'm going with this..

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

125. Re: No subject Nov 14, 2004, 07:02 Krovven

Valve had the source code for their game stolen off of their own servers! Do I really want to trust them with my credit card number?

Banks get robbed...where do you keep your money? In a bank.
You do realize it is more likely to have your Credit # stolen by using it at a restaurant or store than it is ordering something online?

124. Re: No subject Nov 14, 2004, 06:56 Propagandhi

Thats the $89.99 copy. Doesn't it strike anyone else as odd that they have all this stuff ready to go ?. No wonder it has taken so long to finish the game.

Gabe doesn't do much actual game design. He oversees the process, but for HL 2 he did very little to actuall approve individual design elements. He's the one that organized the Steam packages (and Steam itself). HL 2 was delayed because of it's use of new technologies, not because they were waiting for someone to hand stitch the hats or draw the posters (all concept art there).

Furthmore, neither HL 1: Source nor DoD: Source are ready yet, development only started recently on them.

I eat pasta!

123. No subject Nov 14, 2004, 06:31 Eps

From the steam website

Half-Life 2*
&#9642; Counter-Strike:Source
&#9642; Half-Life 1: Source*
&#9642; Day of Defeat: Source*
&#9642; Valve's back catalog available on Steam.
&#9642; PLUS: HL2 posters, full strat guide, soundtrack, hat, collector's box, postcard & more

Thats the $89.99 copy. Doesn't it strike anyone else as odd that they have all this stuff ready to go ?. No wonder it has taken so long to finish the game.

122. Re: No subject Nov 14, 2004, 06:27 MindTrigger

Blue,

Nice "spin" on the news. I live in Vegas and can confirm that it's for sale in at least one best buy, and one walmart here.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

121. No subject Nov 14, 2004, 06:15  famished 

So I guess Vivendi found a way to get some sales back over steam. Knobs. Then again, that's business. I will buy it over Steam in spite
This comment was edited on Nov 14, 06:19.

120. Re: No subject Nov 14, 2004, 04:55 Big_Bear

cheers m8,

Damn that means it will be available at 8:00AM(GMT) over here. At least its available on steam before the shops are open, well one whole hour early.

239 Replies. 12 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo