Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 Early?

Half-Life 2 already in some gamers' hands on GameSpot and Half-Life 2 Out Already? on IGN spread and analyze rumors and reports that Valve's eagerly anticipated shooter sequel may be appearing early on store shelves. The stories outline these sketchy reports, provide links to "rather convincing photographs" of the retail box and media, as well as a reiteration of the fact that even if one had an early copy of the game, they would still need to activate it via Steam anyway.

View
142 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

62. Re: Nov 12, 2004, 12:53 Schnapple

I ordered the Gold Pack from Steam, which cost $119.90 USD including postage. I'll be the first to admit that it's she who must be obeyed who balances our books in this house, but she's not blown a gasket about this charge, so I've been assuming they hadn't actually billed it yet.

I haven't ordered the game through Steam, so I can't vouch for what's happening, but could it be the classic confusion of charging and reserving.

Let's say I order a hotel room with my credit card two months in advance. I don't pay for the room until I'm done. Let's say that between the time I reserve it and I check out, I max out my credit card and so I can't pay. The hotels don't like this. So what they can do is put a reserve on my card of some amount (the amount of the room, or perhaps more to anticipate what I may charge to my room). This lowers my limit but doesn't actually charge my card. When I pay then the reserve is lifted and the charge goes through.

In the case of something like a Steam package where the price is set, it could be that people are noticing their balance go down by the amount but not actually charged yet. Ergo, they can't max out their credit card and Valve is in the clear as they haven't charged them yet.

Schnapple

http://www.schnapple.com/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

61. No subject Nov 12, 2004, 12:53 Dalumberjack

I'm watching the bt sites today and tomorrow cuz from a source i know he says it will be out today or tomorrow online... I don't condone piracy but i bet this will break the doom 3 leak with the amount of people downloading it.

I never wanted to do this job in the first place! I... I wanted to be... A LUMBERJACK! Leaping from tree to tree! As they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia! With my best girl by my side! The Larch! The Pine! The Giant Redwood tree! The Seq

60. Re: oh jesus people... Nov 12, 2004, 12:53 xXBatmanXx

is this the STEAM early activation, non-early activation, store bought non-STEAM, early purchase non-activationable, embargo broken, internet must-having, pre-ordered non-paid, post orderd non-activated, cd-key activation internet single player no-matter, denial of service huge spamming,
Half Life 2 that makes the game funner .. . . . . ?

How long did this take you? hehehehe

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

59. Re: HL1: Source Nov 12, 2004, 12:51 Dread

"An internet connection is considered standard equipment. If you're behind the times you lose. It's always been this way in the industry. Go back 10 years and see people complain that they can't play The 7th Guest without a CD drive and how unfair it is..."

Excellent post.

And for the 500th time, yes, you need an internet connection during installation to activate your game.
It's been common knowledge for quite some time now and debated and argued to death.
Get over your shock and report immediately to acceptance and or refusal to buy.

58. Re: HL1: Source Nov 12, 2004, 12:49 Agent_X_7

"Considered standard by whom, exactly? Just you and your mid-teen, cookie-cutter angst filled, harboring feelings of entitlement friends or logical people?"

Oh. come on. If you don't have an internet connection, how can you even call yourself a PC gamer? Go buy a damn X-Box and wait for that version, if it bothers you so much.

57. Re: Jumping thru hoops Nov 12, 2004, 12:48 Beamer

Name one anti-piracy measure that has actually worked. (For more than a few days or weeks.)

HL. SP was cracked, MP never managed to be, if I know correctly. I know it wasn't as of like, 2 years ago. Things do change quickly. I suppose that is true for many games, but HL's value and longevity came from multiplayer, which is why so many people that pirated it eventually went out and bought it.

In any case I empathize with you, I understand how much it could suck to be out and lose it. If you're out to see and need to reinstall you'd probably be screwed. That's the huge downside to this.

We did it to ourselves, sure, because I'd imagine 99% of posters here have warezed games (even if we only do it to games we don't care much about and only play for a handful of days.) Still sucks, though. Fortunately the suckiness is a small percentage of the population.

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 13:05.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

56. Re: HL1: Source Nov 12, 2004, 12:40 Beamer

Just look at the first photo in this thread and notice the statement put by VALVE on the retail box stacks: "The most anticipated PC game release EVER!"

Are you sure Valve put that on and not Vivendi?

Usually the box displays are 100% the publisher and 0% the developer.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

55. No subject Nov 12, 2004, 12:32 HIGH_PING

So, what happens if the authentication server gets DDOS'ed? Or what if valve splits in 3 years and you need to reauthenticate after a HDD crash/reinstall?

54. Jumping thru hoops Nov 12, 2004, 12:29 The Fox

I'm just tired of paying hard earned cash for a game I want (and I have always done so) and then having to jump through hoops to get it to run.

I have a laptop and take it to work (out in the ocean for weeks to months at a time). It is my sole source of entertainment (except the occasional novel) while I am away.

Is HL2 going to let me play SP out there? I have no net access out there. Even if it only required it on initial installation, before I went out to sea, do I have any guarantee that it won't suddenly decide not to allow me to play without logging in? It's not like that kind of thing hasn't happened to me before.

EXAMPLES:
I was at sea when SW:KoTOR suddenly decided that I had CD emulation software installed (which, by the way, I do not) and it refused to run any more.

I was at sea when I suddenly could not play any of my (100% legal) DVD movies (a Digital Rights Management issue according to the dialog box that popped up).

How happy do you think I am going to be if I pay for HL2 and get stuck in the middle of the ocean for 2 months and HL2 decides not to run any more?

Also looking thru the Steam FAQ, I see the use of the term "convenience" in conjunction with "waiting 2 weeks to play", and "If the Network is down, you will just need to be patient and wait until the problem gets cleared.". And then there's the one on "How To Make Steam Offline Mode Work". I just love the use of the phrase "the easiest way".

Having to put a CD in to play a game that is 100% installed on your hard drive is also annoying. And I would rather not have to drag CDs to sea with me. And any game that doesn't require me to bring the disc offshore with me cannot be copied by someone there while I'm not looking.

I don't know what the deal is with SimCity 4, but it banged my CD drive around for well over an hour during installation.

I don't condone piracy. I don't partake in piracy. But it almost seems that companies are actually trying to make it harder to do the right thing.

Name one anti-piracy measure that has actually worked. (For more than a few days or weeks.)

I'm sure everything is cracked and available out there somewhere. I don't doubt that it will happen to HL2 as well.

Sorry this has been so long, but I'm pretty angry lately that after paying for something, I end up having to jump through hoops just to play it (or in some cases I lost the ability to play it), knowing full well that people who have stolen it generally don't have this problem. *sigh*

53. Re: HL1: Source Nov 12, 2004, 12:26 vacs

Here is something more for the conspiracy theorists. Valve/VUGames could, if they wanted to, insert a special code or CD key for all retail-purchased games, so that anyone who managed to buy the game early and went online to authenticate through Steam would be flagged based on the retail-specific CD key.

They could then back track it to which store it was purchased from to get an idea of who is breaking the on-sale embargo

There is no need for backtracking anything because HL2 cannot be activated (and decrypted for that matter) before valve decides it is time to do so.

Those early hand-on means nothing, the CDs or DVD contain exactly the same copy which Steam buyers already have sitting on their HDs.

No one will be able to play HL2 before valve sends out the decryption keys through Steam.

The only interesting part about this is that Valve now has to unlock all HL2 copies right away because they promised (or Doug Lombardi to be more precise) that once the street date is broken (it is now) they will immediately unlock HL2 through Steam for all users.

But since valve are well-known liars this won't happen. HL2 will remain locked for everyone till the 16th. Everytime valve makes a promise they will do their best to brake their promise as fast and as hard as poosible. This is no exception.

The only result of this early HL2 copies is that valve will get even more hype than they deserve or that they can produce on their own. I'm sure valve wanted this to happen as early as possible. It's only for their own good.

Yes, and you read it correctly. Valve is responsible for all this hype! Some people did not and will not understand this because their all too blind and sold by the way this industry is run and only trying to blame the "fanboys" for all the hype which exist.

Just look at the first photo in this thread and notice the statement put by VALVE on the retail box stacks: "The most anticipated PC game release EVER!"

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38956&page=10&pp=15

So who is reponsible for all this hype, valve for putting such provocative statements on boxes or fanboys for telling everyone that this is the most anticipated PC game ever because they got it from valve? You tell me...

52. Re: HL1: Source Nov 12, 2004, 12:06 Zathrus

They could then back track it to which store it was purchased from to get an idea of who is breaking the on-sale embargo

The regional distributors would have to do that, since they're the only ones who know what's going to what store. More importantly, a lot of retailers (like Best Buy, CompUSA, etc) simply get a massive shipment to their distribution center and then dole it out to stores from there. The higher up distributor doesn't even know which boxes are going to which stores at that point.

All in all it'd make it pretty nigh impossible to do that. Or, rather, pretty damned expensive -- you'd probably have to have the individual stores stuff the slips in, which is a labor intensive effort. Are you willing to have the price go up by 20-50% (for both store bought and Steam -- since they have to sell at the same price by contract) in order to do this? I'm pretty sure Valve wouldn't want to overprice themselves by that much.

51. Re: HL1: Source Nov 12, 2004, 12:06 tunis5000

Yes, this is Valve saying they don't care about people without internet connections. They've deemed that the losses from not having this protection and the costs of setting up phone activation would be greater than the losses from ignoring people without internet connections.

It's a perfectly rational conclusion, as the vast majority of gamers have an internet connection.

Exactly, they may lose a few sales due to this, but think of the amount of warez/loan from a friend/etc. people that will have to buy it instead of leeching it if they really want to play it...

-----------------------------------------------
I like pie.

50. Re: oh jesus people... Nov 12, 2004, 12:04 BFSoLo.

is this the STEAM early activation, non-early activation, store bought non-STEAM, early purchase non-activationable, embargo broken, internet must-having, pre-ordered non-paid, post orderd non-activated, cd-key activation internet single player no-matter, denial of service huge spamming,
Half Life 2 that makes the game funner .. . . . . ?

49. Re: They should release it now Nov 12, 2004, 11:58 Zathrus

Plus Valve could royally screw Vivendi if they release and the game is available on Steam before the store date.

Ooops, we accidently flipped the switch.

Oops. We accidently sued you for breech of contract to the tune of tens of millions of dollars.

48. Re: The problem with the Internets Nov 12, 2004, 11:57 nin

Always the cynic, I am...

And speak like Yoda, you do...

http://www.placeboworld.co.uk

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

47. oh jesus people... Nov 12, 2004, 11:51 Mega Fantasy Sci-Fi PostApocalyptic MMORTRPFPS 9000

OH MY GOD YOU MEAN SOME PEOPLE MAY ACTUALLY HAVE THE BOX IN THEIR HANDS?!?! QUICKLY, WE NEED A NEWS STORY ABOUT THAT!

46. Re: HL1: Source Nov 12, 2004, 11:51 Gandhi

Here is something more for the conspiracy theorists. Valve/VUGames could, if they wanted to, insert a special code or CD key for all retail-purchased games, so that anyone who managed to buy the game early and went online to authenticate through Steam would be flagged based on the retail-specific CD key.

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

45. They should release it now Nov 12, 2004, 11:51 NoGodForMe

Could cut down on some Juarzing if the game is available this weekend before it's released "in the stores."

Plus Valve could royally screw Vivendi if they release and the game is available on Steam before the store date.

Ooops, we accidently flipped the switch.

44. The problem with the Internets Nov 12, 2004, 11:49 Gervaise

Who wants to take bets that on midnight Nov 16, steam is going to get hammered into oblivion by the thousands of people simultaneously trying to play the second it can be unlocked, causing a huge tidal wave of anger at steam?

That or a bunch of hackers will do a denial of service attack at steam to grief everyone who purchased HL2?

I should become a bookie. Always the cynic, I am...

43. I'm sure they have thought of it Nov 12, 2004, 11:47 jccalhoun

I would be very surpized if they haven't done something in the eventuality that someone doesn't have an internet connection. LIke it or not, activations codes are becoming more common. XP had it and you could call an 800 number to get the code if you didn't have an internet connection (as in my case when I first installed it). I bought some software online last week and it also had online activation, but had an option to call by phone or to email the company, so i'm sure valve will have something similar.  
www.popularculturegaming.com

142 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo