Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Tribes Vengeance Plans

The TribalWar Forums (thanks Frans) has word that a new version 1.2 update for Irrationals multiplayer shooter is being prepared for a December release. Included in the update will be fixes to known "map holes" as PunkBuster anti-cheating support.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Is this the patch . . Nov 13, 2004, 15:23 4D-Boxing

keep skating kid....adding BS sure makes it the truth!

Yeah all atari games had a 20 minute life span.... LOL! Kids they never learn!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Is this the patch . . Nov 12, 2004, 20:24 Orogogus

Orogogus

Now oh great one let us all know what game you beat in 20 min? I'm sure you beat the original pitfall in 20 minutes...same with river raid, pac man Q-Bert etc.... Keep the BS for yourself kid! Like i've said in here before back in those days i was on a vic 20 ...never owned a console but back then all the kid had an Atari or something like that.. Even those guys will tell you 20min to finish any game is total crap... If you are going to make up stuff at least try to be realistic

If you didn't "beat" Pitfall in 20 minutes, the game was over. The timer started at 20 minutes and never went back up. So I don't know how you can claim that it takes any longer than that. Of the games that I remember as being "beatable":

Haunted House took 8-10 minutes to beat.
E.T. - 20 minutes
Superman - 20 minutes
Adventure - 20 minutes
Pitfall 2 - 20 minutes
Raiders of the Lost Ark - 20 minutes

These games were not rocket science, even when I was in the 3rd grade. Everything else I played was endless looping of the same few levels, generally with only about 10 minutes of significantly varying gameplay. River Raid? Pac Man? I mean, sheesh. With Laser Blast, I remember exhausting the gameplay possibilities in about 45 seconds.

How on earth could you not have seen everything there was to see in a 2600 game after 24 hours? You'd have to be incredibly bad not to reach the point where the game is just "the same thing again, but faster", or "more barns". Unless I'm somehow misunderstanding your argument, you're basically saying that Bungie should have made the Library four times as long to make it a more difficult game, as measured in hours. That's just insane.

15. Re: Is this the patch . . Nov 12, 2004, 17:41 sc4r4b

I remember playing pitfall for the full 20 mins and the screen froze... I thought that was the end of the game. I was so pissed. Yeah, I was like 7 years old.

14. Re: Is this the patch . . Nov 12, 2004, 17:38 4D-Boxing

Orogogus

Now oh great one let us all know what game you beat in 20 min? I'm sure you beat the original pitfall in 20 minutes...same with river raid, pac man Q-Bert etc.... Keep the BS for yourself kid! Like i've said in here before back in those days i was on a vic 20 ...never owned a console but back then all the kid had an Atari or something like that.. Even those guys will tell you 20min to finish any game is total crap... If you are going to make up stuff at least try to be realistic

13. Re: Is this the patch . . Nov 12, 2004, 17:33 sc4r4b

I think he was referring to the pick up and play aspect of today's games. It took you a while to master asteroids, pac-man, or centipede before you were able to flip it*. Versus being able to buy a game and beat it in a sitting like you can with most shooters.

*For the kids-
Back in the day most Atari games didn't have an ending so you knew you beat or mastered a game when your score got so high it eventually "flipped" back to zero.

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 17:33.

12. Re: Is this the patch . . Nov 12, 2004, 16:56 Orogogus

I'm no console expert but even my best friend who is an Xbox only gamer complains that games are to easy compared to the good old Atari 2600 days. 24 hours after halo 2 came out seems like half the people had already finished it. Kind of like those COD games or Max Payne!

I think this is a pretty dumb analysis. Any game that could be beaten on the 2600 could be beaten in like 20 minutes, except for those freaking awful Swordquest games. Everything else was just repeated waves. You say that games are dumbed down from 2600 days, but 3 little planes against the big pink one in Combat was totally retarded. As PVP put it, on one hand you have dual sticks and 12 buttons plus a d pad, and on the other you have wakka wakka fruit. If this isn't nostalgia running rampant, I don't know what is.

11. Re: Is this the patch . . Nov 12, 2004, 13:47 Mega Fantasy Sci-Fi PostApocalyptic MMORTRPFPS 9000

Even when you look at that Electric playgroud gaming show, that's what they are looking for. Games that have no learning curve, that they can jump in & finish in 10 to 15 hours, anything more & they complain ..give it a 6.5/10.

You pretty much nailed it right there. I've never seen this show, but your statement pretty much describes gamers in general these days. They don't want to have to invest the time to gain the necessary skill. They want to be able to jump online and be just as good as everyone else. Unfortunately, they miss out on some excellent games because of this.

10. Re: Is this the patch . . Nov 12, 2004, 12:43 sc4r4b

Addicted, are we playing the same game? I've been playing Tribes for a few years and I still have a hard time getting a MA with the spinfuser and it's a hellavalot easier to do in T:V. I'm lucky if I get 4 or 5 MA's per match.

In the beginning I found Tribes to attractive because of all of the options... Then I realized I enjoyed it even more because of the depth and freedom of movement.

On a side note, I finally figured out how to really fling myself with the grappler last night, and I have been playing since the open BETA. It took me over a month to feel the inertia in the swing... Now I have to master it.

9. Re: Is this the patch . . Nov 12, 2004, 12:38 ZigZang

I agree its partly timing. People are saving their limited gaming dollar and gaming time for any number of great games that have and are due out shortly. If I wasn't a die-hard Tribes fan I probably wouldn't have picked it up. With Doom 2, HL2, WoW, CS:S, Halo 2, GTA:SA, etc. Tribes may just not have the clout to convert some that might otherwise pick it up if there wasn't so much else out there. Too bad really, I've been doing things with skiing that you could never have done previously. It's almost an artform in itself.  
ZigZang

8. Re: Is this the patch . . Nov 12, 2004, 12:16 Addicted

The learning curve for the new game isn't bad at all. If you can play a FPS you can play this. It's easy. What sucks is the LOAD TIMES! OMG... It takes longer than Doom 3 level and CS source level combined! Unbelievable. I get up and go make a sandwich between levels and still have to wait when I get back. Then the levels are so short I only play for 10 minutes before I sit through another huge load. I'd return it if I could...

7. Re: Is this the patch . . Nov 12, 2004, 12:13 4D-Boxing

I agree ..most people seem to quit because they can hit anyone with the spinfusor. IT takes skills even at close or point blank range to hit someone with the spinfusor. I do not find the weapon to be hard to master but I figure that's the main reason for the lack of players.

Even when you look at that Electric playgroud gaming show, that's what they are looking for. Games that have no learning curve, that they can jump in & finish in 10 to 15 hours, anything more & they complain ..give it a 6.5/10.

Old School PC & console gamers have no problems with having to take time master a game. We went through the the good years of Atari, coleco, C64, XT PC gaming... before the n64/ps1.. easy is better days of gaming.

I'm no console expert but even my best friend who is an Xbox only gamer complains that games are to easy compared to the good old Atari 2600 days. 24 hours after halo 2 came out seems like half the people had already finished it. Kind of like those COD games or Max Payne!

This is just one old guys attempt at understanding the state of gaming. I'm probably wrong! Anyways the gaming industry is so big now that just like movies ..things are dumbed down to make sure everyone aged 6 to 60 can understand thus maximizing the sale potential.

Man it's friday, forgive the long winded, i'm bored out of my mind stuck in my office post

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 12:26.

6. Re: Is this the patch . . Nov 12, 2004, 11:17 Mega Fantasy Sci-Fi PostApocalyptic MMORTRPFPS 9000

Because of the learning curve, that's why. Which is too bad.

5. Re: Is this the patch . . Nov 12, 2004, 11:12 sc4r4b

Seriously, I simply don't understand why the Tribes series has completely failed to attract more players.

I agree... The game is so cool. They even dumbed it down to attract new players. Yet, it doesn't seem to be working. Maybe it is still to complicated? Or perhaps the timing was bad?

I can only hope the franchise continues... it doesn't look good though.

4. Is this the patch . . Nov 12, 2004, 11:06 ZigZang

that makes more than 600 people want to play it? Seriously, I simply don't understand why the Tribes series has completely failed to attract more players.  
ZigZang

3. Re: No subject Nov 12, 2004, 10:41 sc4r4b

Not all fans of the game want T2-Classic with better graphics... Don't get me wrong I think it would be great. However, there have been some really nice improvements implemented in T:V, i.e. player speed, active/passive packs, and sensors to name a few. Thus, I would like to see a Tribes 4 that combined the elements of all 3 games...

2. Re: No subject Nov 12, 2004, 10:10 Des

Yeah that would be great!

1. No subject Nov 12, 2004, 09:18 NoGodForMe

T4 = T2 and T1 with new graphics.

Yes, fans wan't a remake of both game types. Kinda like T2 has the classic mod.

T4 will bring back all the fun of T2, in an engine that supports 60 people.

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo