Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

BioWare Store Opens

The BioWare Store is now open for business, offering the first three Premium Neverwinter Nights Modules for download. Word is: "These modules are new professionally developed adventures that expand an already extensive Neverwinter Nights library."

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: NWN2 Nov 11, 2004, 13:02 MyRealName

1. I didn't "hate" the OC, so you're wrong there.
2. When I spoke of improving the original game, that was tongue-in-cheek, sarcasm, you know? As in, "is this the patch that makes the game fun?" So my logic is not flawed, as I haven't asserted any logic there - your understanding of my meaning is flawed.

Regardless, perhaps I will look into modules again. When I last looked (well over a year ago or more), there were a bunch of "moderately high" rated ones, and I tried a few of those, and tried to keep myself from falling asleep. Perhaps things have changed (doubtful, but perhaps).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: NWN2 Nov 11, 2004, 09:04 nin

We're AMERICAN nerds, and proud of it!

Yeah, we don't have good tv like the Brits do...

http://www.placeboworld.co.uk

http://henryandheidi.libsyn.com/rss

28. Re: NWN2 Nov 10, 2004, 23:04 Sixis

"You mean you've never seen Red Dwarf? And you call yourself a nerd... for shame."

We're AMERICAN nerds, and proud of it! Although I'll never forget the time running backwards episode of Red Dwarf...disgusting.

27. Re: NWN2 Nov 10, 2004, 21:27 terrapin

So which is it Cy, John Foster or Arnold J Rimmer?

You mean you've never seen Red Dwarf? And you call yourself a nerd... for shame.

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk

26. Re: NWN2 Nov 10, 2004, 21:01 D4rkKnight

Well I can see you hated the OC, no surprise there, it sucked, but your biased towards the game in general because of that, yet you cant see it.

HOTU and the player modules (and these premium ones now, altough I havnt tried them) are what you should be playing to get the most out of the game, SOU and OC both sucked, SOU less then OC but still wasnt that good.

They created the game with the Aurora toolset in mind, not making a good game, that was their mistake, and the players have ratified that mistake.

Bioware did not make SOU btw, so take it as a third party contribution to the game, they did however make HOTU.

They are not add-ons btw, they are modules, they are entirly seperate from everything else, they just use the same engine. They dont improve storylines and dialogue, they are unique to themselves and nothing else, so right off the bat your logic is flawed.

Every single module tells a unique story, and there are some DAMN good writers/story-telers/scripters(some of those scripts are amazing) in the NWN community, so some of the modules that have come out are amazing, better then most commercial games could ever hope to be.

This comment was edited on Nov 10, 21:05.

25. Re: NWN2 Nov 10, 2004, 20:52 MyRealName

While (obviously) true, I was hoping for something with a bit more substance.

For example: "Did you play the 'Souls of Withering Wood' add-on? It adds first person view, upgrades the graphics engine, makes the story and dialogue more interesting and compelling (wow!), does away with generic lame treasure systems and lame underpowered repetitive encounters!", etc. That sort of thing. Well, perhaps it doesn't exist.

It had a ton of potential, what with the skills and stats and classes and levelling, etc.. but it's just such a pale, repetitive, boring, go-nowhere game. I've heard similar said of Morrowind, and I've played both, and wow, NWN is sooooo much more the offender, that they're beyond compare. Heck, I wouldn't be saying anything if the game didn't appeal to me in some way. It does; it's just that it falls quite short of its potential. Ah well. I will be watching (and hoping) for the next one.

24. expansions Nov 10, 2004, 20:35 SirOsisOfLiver

I think ts a good idea and I might do it. But they require Hordes of the Underdark. I would be perhaps willing if they also offered HotU as one of the modules you could buy online. Now that we have this, Steam and D2D , I hope buying games online continues to grow.

23. Re: NWN2 Nov 10, 2004, 20:19 Ibbz

"What on earth is so compelling about it? This is not to start an argument - rather, I'd like to hear what people find appealing about it so that maybe I can see that I'm missing something special."

Much the same reason people are still playing Counter Strike when there are games that could be *considered better* available.

They like the game for whatever reason and continue playing it - some people dont like the game such as you - Your not missing out on anything secret, its simply different people enjoy different things.

22. Re: NWN2 Nov 10, 2004, 19:53 nin

So which is it Cy, John Foster or Arnold J Rimmer?

You seem a bit confused as to your name...

21. Re: NWN2 Nov 10, 2004, 19:52 MyRealName

Seriously, not trying to sound negative here, but what are people doing with this game at this point? Even back when I played through the original, it was... well, it was more generic than Morrowind, with lesser dialogue, story, graphics, etc. I frankly became "forcefully-committed" to finishing it, simply because I'd invested so much time in it to that point. Entrapment is the clinical term I believe? I would get into a sour mood every time I played, wanting it to JUST END. Anyway. It was decent, yes, and I liked building my monk up, and kicking some butt occasionally - but it was just the same thing over and over, zone after zone. Again, it was decent, but nothing to write home about. I tried several user made plugins and they too were just decent. I guess the platform ultimately limits the potential of any mod.

So, there I am, given SOU by a friend, and I just cannot bring myself to play it. I started it, did about 3 zones, spoke to that warrior guy that wants me to get him on the king's good side.. or someshit, I can hardly remember, it's been several months.. and then just abandoned it. I have it for FREE, and have no desire to play it. What on earth is so compelling about it? This is not to start an argument - rather, I'd like to hear what people find appealing about it so that maybe I can see that I'm missing something special.

Doubt it, though.

20. Re: NWN2 Nov 10, 2004, 19:50 negface

*Cy casting Confusion*
*Cy casts Confusion*
*negface: Will Save 12+2=14 FAILURE*

19. Re: NWN2 Nov 10, 2004, 19:43 Cy

Actually CrushBug is wrong and we are working on NWN2. But our special team do not interact with the plebs from the live team (aka chicken soup machine cleaners).

Arnold J Rimmer,
Head, Z Shift Developments
Bioware Corp.

PS Derek please report to my office.

This comment was edited on Nov 10, 19:48.

18. Re: NWN2 Nov 10, 2004, 18:00 Tango

Blue, CrushBug needs a green tag!!

17. Re: NWN2 Nov 10, 2004, 17:49  CrushBug 

We are not working on NWN2, that would be Obsidian.

Derek French
Producer, Live Team
BioWare Corp.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

16. Re: Whatever Nov 10, 2004, 17:45 DrEvil

"I'd prefer they just hired the talented people in the mod community to go work on NWN2 so they could get it to us sooner."

Funny you should mention that, but that's part of what they're doing Next complaint please?

This comment was edited on Nov 10, 17:46.

15. Re: vampire Nov 10, 2004, 17:43 FourPak

at 4.99-7.99 a pop
gah! people are nuts!

no matter how impoverished they profess to be,
in a Single Day people think =nothing= of pissing away
$10 at starbucks +
$3 in the vending machine +
$2 for a pizza slice +
$5 on cell calls +
$2 for snax and candy and worthless crap +
etc. etc. etc. all day long,
all unnecessary impulse purchases that yield a few minutes of fun,

yet...

the same people will moan and complain over a trivial amount for a product that yields weeks of entertainment V-A-L-U-E. give up those snickers bars and watermelon sodas every day for a week and you'll have the cash for 2 mods!

14. Re: Whatever Nov 10, 2004, 17:41 PHJF

"For the future"? Hello, Neverwinter Nights 2?
GetRDone.

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: Whatever Nov 10, 2004, 17:06 Halsy

I'd pay a buck a mod, maybe 2. That's it though.

"Now, my Woody Allen impression: I'm a neurotic nerd who likes to sleep with little girls."
- Rainer Wolfcastle

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

12. Re: Whatever Nov 10, 2004, 16:58 Sixis

I'd prefer they just hired the talented people in the mod community to go work on NWN2 so they could get it to us sooner.  

11. Re: vampire Nov 10, 2004, 16:13 nin

It is very cheap and slights the mod community by basically saying they are better than us, and our ideas suck compared to their's. Just because they made the game you should buy their additional products at 4.99-7.99 a pop. The interview even states, over 4,000 free ones, why pay for them.

It's funny you mention this. When I was looking into custom Sims content a few years ago, I was amazed at the number of sites that wanted money...granted some of their things they did were really cool (IE a old style sit-down Star Wars arcade machine that your sim could use), but I couldn't see paying for it...

(Having said that) I think if the content is good, and provides more than a few hours of gameplay, I don't mind paying. I think it'll encourage other mod authors...

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo