Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Update

Steam News (thanks Frans) has word of a small update to the Steam client, adding some credit card options, as well as the much-requested game files back-up feature.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Just backed it UP!!!!!!! Nov 10, 2004, 14:34 vacs

Well. I will actually have copyrighted matter in my hands. A fancy box with a fancy case and a fancy manual. You on the other hand will have a 50 cent dvd with files on it you can't use if something were to happen to steam.

Actually you won't get any manual with your nice retail version Valve already confirmed there will be just a how-to install leaflet in the box.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Just backed it UP!!!!!!! Nov 10, 2004, 11:43 Gandhi

Well. I will actually have copyrighted matter in my hands. A fancy box with a fancy case and a fancy manual.

WHo says the data I download off Steam is not copy-righter? And I bet those fancy case and manual are absolutely pivotal to an enjoyable gaming experience?

First the argument was that people will not buy untill they have a physical CD/DVD in their hands. Now the requirements are that it has to have fancy packaging.

May be we should start a petition to convince Valve to start selling CD stickers so that my 50-cent disc looks fancy. LOL!

At the end of the day, whether you buy retail or download off Steam, you will be getting the exact SAME thing and WILL have to go through Steam authentication if you want to play a legitimate copy (what the warez kiddies do is another matter). All the tinfoil hat people arguments about somehow bypassing Steam if they buy from retail are now moot - it ain't happening.

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

18. Re: Just backed it UP!!!!!!! Nov 10, 2004, 11:16 nin

Don't plan on patching the game, Batman?

http://www.placeboworld.co.uk

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: Just backed it UP!!!!!!! Nov 10, 2004, 11:08 xXBatmanXx

I just wanted to say to all you paranoid tin-foil hat people (yeah you Fat Pussy, I am talking to you!) who wanted a CD or DVD in their hands .......

FUCK YOU !!!

Whether you buy from the store or download from Steam, you are getting the same thing.

So now - STFU!!!

Well. I will actually have copyrighted matter in my hands. A fancy box with a fancy case and a fancy manual. You on the other hand will have a 50 cent dvd with files on it you can't use if something were to happen to steam.

So go away.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

16. Re: Just backed it UP!!!!!!! Nov 10, 2004, 08:57 nin

Aw, you're gonna make Riley cry...

15. Re: Just backed it UP!!!!!!! Nov 10, 2004, 00:26 Gandhi

I just wanted to say to all you paranoid tin-foil hat people (yeah you Fat Pussy, I am talking to you!) who wanted a CD or DVD in their hands .......

FUCK YOU !!!

Whether you buy from the store or download from Steam, you are getting the same thing.

So now - STFU!!!

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

14. Re: Just backed it UP!!!!!!! Nov 9, 2004, 17:23 4D-Boxing

Will CS have new maps? or just the old maps remade with the new engine?

13. Re: Just backed it UP!!!!!!! Nov 9, 2004, 16:24 4D-Boxing

Quan..I was just joking no game should ever have that effect on people, at least hope not... Well maybe Eversmack 2 though i never understood how people got so caught up with the first one.

A good night out with my wife is always better than any gaming experience

12. Re: Just backed it UP!!!!!!! Nov 9, 2004, 13:27 nin

Thanks for the link. Looks like I will be able to unlock it on the morning of the 16th - about the same time that I expect to be afflicted with a sudden bout of flu

Gonna look bad when half of us call in!

Unlocks @ 2am here...I'm thinking I crash early the night before and get up around 3...

11. Re: Just backed it UP!!!!!!! Nov 9, 2004, 13:15 Gandhi

Thanks for the link. Looks like I will be able to unlock it on the morning of the 16th - about the same time that I expect to be afflicted with a sudden bout of flu

10. Re: Just backed it UP!!!!!!! Nov 9, 2004, 13:00 Quan

Once that game comes out guys are gonna dispear until x-mas. Wives & girlfriends will walk out ....

I think in 3 days of getting it I will be finnished and it will be back on the shelf until some mods come out. CS:S isn't going to make me want to go online.

9. Re: Just backed it UP!!!!!!! Nov 9, 2004, 12:28 Propagandhi

So will the game be unlocked/released on Midnight Nov 16?

This (http://www.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=169690) thread on the steam forums gives the unlock times for HL 2. Midnight on the west coast Nov. 16 is the scheduled unlocking time. Probably a good idea to just wake up early if you want to play the day of if you live on the east coast (or wait until the weekend and have a few midterms in that week like me ).

I eat pasta!

8. Re: Just backed it UP!!!!!!! Nov 9, 2004, 12:03 Gandhi

So will the game be unlocked/released on Midnight Nov 16?

With projects and exams due at the end of the semester, it will be sheer torture not to play the game and actually study.

7. Re: Just backed it UP!!!!!!! Nov 9, 2004, 10:35 4D-Boxing

Is the Hype gone on what could be the greatest PC game ever made???

LOL! Looking at the amount of pre-orders & the commercials that say the most anticipated game ever.

I doubt the hype is gone.... it's the calm before the storm. Once that game comes out guys are gonna dispear until x-mas. Wives & girlfriends will walk out ....

6. Re: Just backed it UP!!!!!!! Nov 9, 2004, 10:31 VoodooV

Self-control, people!

hehe, that's funny coming from someone who is using Valve's big brother software just to play HL2

5. Re: Just backed it UP!!!!!!! Nov 9, 2004, 10:10 terrapin

Yes, HL2 will rock. No, that does not give you permission to go insane and throw around exclaimation marks like cheap candy. Self-control, people!

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 10:11.

4. Re: Just backed it UP!!!!!!! Nov 9, 2004, 07:16 aldo_14

Think that backup feature kicks ass, no other game has that if I'm not mistaking.

It used to be legal to make a single copy of any game or software you purchased for backup purposes, but I'm not sure the EULAs' allow that any more.

Nowadays you should be able to return & get replacement copies of defective CDs, but as to whether the manufacturers play along or not.......

3. Re: Just backed it UP!!!!!!! Nov 9, 2004, 05:45 Viranth

Only seven more days? Holy crap!

Think that backup feature kicks ass, no other game has that if I'm not mistaking. Shows that valve do listen to the community too =)

SEVEN MORE DAYS!!!!!!!!!!! (sorry about the use of !s, I'm overly excited about this game coming out in jUST SEVEN DAYS!!!)

2. Re: Just backed it UP!!!!!!! Nov 9, 2004, 03:38 John

Is the Hype gone on what could be the greatest PC game ever made???

Hmm, I don't know about that. I'm looking forward to VtM:Bloodlines just as much as HL2.. if not more. I'm hoping both will be great.

This space is available for rent

1. Just backed it UP!!!!!!! Nov 9, 2004, 01:35 Yuzzem

Wow!!! It seems with the launch of Halo 2 everyone seems to have forgotten that HALF-LIFE 2 is COMMING in like 7 days... I just backed up the files on a DVD - It feels a bit odd holding a physical copy of Half-Life 2 in your hand and knowing its on there and not being able to play it... Weird huh!!! Anyways I will be picking up Halo 2 tomm- I haven't even played much of GTA: San Andres- and Dead or Alive Ultimate- and now I got Halo 2 hitting tomm- Then I have Half-Life 2- Metrioid Echoes and Metal Gear Solid 3 - and the Nintendo DS- Of all which i have preordered already --all in one week span. I wish some of these games launced in september or October- becuase now I don't know what game to play first: ) So Here is Hoping that Half-Life 2 will take up most of my time. Is the Hype gone on what could be the greatest PC game ever made??? Hmm!! 7 more days.. and its gamming blis.

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo