Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon's Lair III Announced & Demo

The Epic of Dirk the Daring Continues in the All New-Adventure Release "Dragonís Lair 3" is the press release announcing the next installment in the adventures of Dirk the knight that began way back when with a laserdisc coin-op arcade game. A product page for the game is already online, offering up several screenshots, as well as a playable demo on the downloads page of the framed Digital Leisure Website. The demo is a 32 MB download, mirrored on 3D Gamers, FileFront, Gamer's Hell, and Worthplaying.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: I remember Space Ace... Nov 7, 2004, 13:12 nin

On a side-note: Didn't they create a cartoon show for Dragon's Lair? Maybe a short animated movie? Somehow I have a Dragon's Lair movie stuck in my head.

Here ya go...please ignore the rest of the ugly-assed page...

http://www.tvparty.com/sat84.html

10:00 Dragon's Lair / ABC (debut)
Based on the arcade game with Dirk Daring's adventures in medieval times. Viewers were encouraged to guess the route of Dirk's quest.

If you played the Dragon's Lair video game in 1984, you probably did it on a Commodore 64. Today you'll do it on an X-box or Playstation.

The TV show lasted only until spring, 1985 - Ruby-Spears produced.

http://www.placeboworld.co.uk

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. I remember Space Ace... Nov 7, 2004, 12:09 Allegra Geller

I've never touched Dragon's Lair at all. Space Ace was bad enough. Sorry, but the game was really annoying. From the controls to the gameplay, I just couldn't believe that they would go out and release something like this.

UGH.

Really frustrating.

On a side-note: Didn't they create a cartoon show for Dragon's Lair? Maybe a short animated movie? Somehow I have a Dragon's Lair movie stuck in my head.

22. Re: No subject Nov 7, 2004, 11:58 Schnapple

well, i was hoping something exciting after all, the reputation of this game was very nice though i never played it. i downloaded it, played it and totally deleted it from my hd. sorry folks, this game sucks, its boring, looks like 20 year old vhs tape, and the most important thing, i was dissapointed. is this really the game hat everyone was claiming?
sorry if i never played them before but this game sucks balls.

Well, here's the thing - no one out there is actually ever going to go on record as saying Dragon's Lair is a great game. The game was released in the early 1980's at around the time of the video game crash. Picture it - they went from graphics that looked like Pac-Man to graphics that looked like a saturday morning cartoon. Plus, it had a plot - we knew why Dirk the Daring was trying to rescue the princess, but we didn't know why Pac-Man was in a maze eating dots.

Simply put, people like this game because of nostalgia. They like to play it every once in a while and remind themselves of their youth, when there weren't as many video game options.

What's happened, though, is that Digital Leisure has come into possession of the game's rights and franchise and is filled with barely adept programmers (they can't seem to figure out how to handle non-default installation locations) and a need to milk the franchise dry. Don't get me wrong, the DVD-Video versions of DL1&2 were pretty genius, but to take one of your own games, film it, then sell it as another game on DVD? They're getting pretty desperate. I guess Mad Dog McCree didn't sell too well...

Schnapple

http://www.schnapple.com/

21. Re: No subject Nov 7, 2004, 05:43 Chip

Well, here is something for the old timers. I use to have the origianl disc and ran it on my Amiga under Amigavision. Sweet! well that and Space Ace.

(my fan site. Check it out)
http://home.earthlink.net/~cgh5541/

---

(my Nexus fan site. Check it out)
http://home.earthlink.net/~cgh5541/

20. No subject Nov 7, 2004, 03:34 mat0

well, i was hoping something exciting after all, the reputation of this game was very nice though i never played it. i downloaded it, played it and totally deleted it from my hd. sorry folks, this game sucks, its boring, looks like 20 year old vhs tape, and the most important thing, i was dissapointed. is this really the game hat everyone was claiming?
sorry if i never played them before but this game sucks balls.

19. No subject Nov 6, 2004, 23:49 Gato

Dragon's Lair and Space Ace! man, how much money got dumped into those games...running around the mall begging mom for another $5 bill like a crack whore.

Watch out 'Joust 3D' is next.

18. No subject Nov 6, 2004, 21:41 Tanto Edge

w00t! This looks good!
Downloading the demo right now!
----------------
Well, it's exactly like the other two except for one small problem. It's not hand animated.
Some may not see the issues therein, but frankly I think that if you're going to make a game like this, you can afford to hand animate your shit.

They did not do so in this case. It's fair animation, but it's all 3D modeled. This is bullshit.

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 22:09.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

17. Troubleshooting Nov 6, 2004, 20:47 Sacrifice

For those having trouble running the game, be sure to extract the game to the default folder. Otherwise it can't find the proper files to run the game.

This was the same annoying problem I had with the Dragon's Lair 20th Anniversary Edition. You can't change the default installation directory.

"In questions about good and bad, we ought not to follow the opinion of the many, but the opinion of the one who has understanding."

16. Re: No subject Nov 6, 2004, 20:36 Sacrifice

First of all, Dragon's Lair 3D was not a sequel to the first two games. It was a 3D remake.

Dragon's Lair 1 & 2 are classic games. It is true that calling them a game may be an overstatement, they are more of an interactive cartoon. They were interesting for the technology of the time, and I enjoyed them. I can appreciate the fact that they are going to an authentic Dragon's Lair feel with the 3rd installment.

With all that being said, the Dragon's Lair III demo was rather short and unimpressive.

"In questions about good and bad, we ought not to follow the opinion of the many, but the opinion of the one who has understanding."

15. Re: Uhmm...okay Nov 6, 2004, 20:17 DanMaksim

"Dirk the Daring" used to be so cool... I blew plenty of quarters on Dragons Lair 2 and the C64 version. Where'd the series go wrong?

14. Uhmm...okay Nov 6, 2004, 20:13 Nate Palm

I just downloaded and 'played' this, after all it was only 32megs. I have gotta say this ranks up there as one of the dumbest video games related things I've ever seen and I LIKE Dragons Lair.

Brock

13. Re: No subject Nov 6, 2004, 19:47 4D-Boxing

Oh man the Karate game with 2 sticks!!! That game was incredible for it's time. I remember sneeking into the basement of a night club just to play that game after the local arcade closed got shut down. Well until my friends mom caught us.

Gaming sure has changed ...went from a vic20 & gorf when i got into gaming & now we play on 2 gigahertz plus machines with crazy video cards.

12. No subject Nov 6, 2004, 19:19 space captain

yeh dude.. you had to know what the combo was for each levels group of guys... kick low, kick hi, punch or punch, punch, kick... and the guys would just fall off the screen... they would all be coming at you single file like little lemmings.. hehehe

yeh but I liked that Karate fighter game the best, where you had 2 joysticks and moving them in specific directions a specific number of times would do a certain move, and they had like 40 or so to pick from listed on the machine..... it was like a 1 on 1 duel with specific rounds that ended with each point gained or lost... and then for a bonus round you could like fight a bull or something - or break blocks i think

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

11. Re: No subject Nov 6, 2004, 19:11 4D-Boxing

I always preferred spending my quarters on "Joust"

Same here! My brother finished that one and the space one back in the days, he even finised the PC version that came out in the late 80s. After palying titles like Joust, Defender, Zaxxon it wa almost impossible for me to get into dragon's lair.

Do you guys remember Karateka .. the karate side scroller game ... at the end you save the girl & if you where still in attack mode she kicked you and you died!!!! LOL after spending an hour getting to the end getting beat like that almost made me throw my apple 2c out the window!

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 19:12.

10. Re: Don't bother Nov 6, 2004, 15:39 mittens

I believe this is actually a game; they stripped the "one touch, one move" gameplay from the franchise a while back. Now the game just sucks, whereas before it was at least a "classic."

9. Re: Don't bother Nov 6, 2004, 14:38 Dignan

because its just video being played... when you choose where to go it jumps to another track.

8. No subject Nov 6, 2004, 14:26 space captain

i remember playing "Dragons Lair" in the fuckin arcades, man... once you beat the shit you had to go back through the same screens in reverse order, with the left-right sides flipped... what a peice of junk... I always preferred spending my quarters on "Joust"

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

7. Re: Don't bother Nov 6, 2004, 14:22 Schnapple

How can they make a game that works with DVD/PS2/Xbox?

Simple - it's just a DVD that uses authoring capabilities to simulate input. Essentially that's all the old laserdisc ones ever did. The PS2 can play it, the Xbox would need that DVD kit. The PS2 is a good match actually since it can use the controller.

But like has been said before - looks like for this one they didn't hand-draw any animation and instead used the Dragon's Lair 3D engine. Which would explain why it's so quick to market and demo. Hell, it looks like they're even using the Dragon's Lair 3D levels, meaning it's essenially Dragon's Lair again, but done in 3D. Only not Pixar 3D.

I've got the first game like this - oddly enough this inspires me to buy the second game.

Schnapple

http://www.schnapple.com/

6. No subject Nov 6, 2004, 14:00 Igor

Wow, I remember when they announced it back in 1998. I guess the publisher decided to wipe the dust off this game and finally release it.

5. Re: Don't bother Nov 6, 2004, 13:56 Fantaz

How can they make a game that works with DVD/PS2/Xbox?

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo