Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Source SDK Tools & More H-L2 Preloads

Steam News offers details on the release of the Source Software Development Kit (SDK) Tools via Steam, described as the precursor to the release of the full SDK. Also, Steam News also details preloads of more Half-Life 2 content. Here's the deal on the SDK:

Valve has released the Source Software Development Kit (SDK) Tools via Steam. A precursor to the release of the full SDK, which will be released shortly after Half-Life 2 is made available, the Source SDK Tools release offers a comprehensive toolset for starting production on Source-based MODs, including Hammer, XSI EXP for Half-Life 2, compiling tools, the Source Model Viewer, documentation on programming, modeling, building materials, and more. For more information, please visit www.valve-erc.com/srcsdk/

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: No subject Nov 6, 2004, 20:57 Gandhi

.it's a totally f@cked-up thing to retail a product in a store, take one's money, and then deny them usage unless they get online to create an account. If you buy something retail, you should own it from the moment you fork out your cash.

I take it you no longer use any of Microsoft's products - yes? ANd if so, you are probably on a Mac, in which case all your rambling is moot since you can't play HL2 on a Mac anyways.

Edit - and when you buy a retail box containing any software - whether a game, OS, or productivity app, you do not own that software, but merely a license to run that software on one computer. You do not own a single peice of software on your computer, unless you created that software yourself.

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive
This comment was edited on Nov 6, 21:00.

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: No subject Nov 6, 2004, 18:49 nin

Any news on that benchmark thing they were talking about? Not that I wouldn't buy the game or anything.

Run CS:S and select "Video Stress Test" from the main menu...and notice Gordon in stained glass, complete w/ crowbar.

I average 110 FPS, so I'm quite happy...

http://www.placeboworld.co.uk

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

30. Re: No subject Nov 6, 2004, 17:26 Propagandhi

Ever use a virus scanner, Old_Geezer? Don't you allow it to automatically check for updates? How is this any different? And don't give me some bullshit about Valve being less trustworthy than McAffe (or whatever) as I don't buy that for a second.

I don't like steam, either, it's an ugly piece of code. But it's hardly worth boycotting HL 2 over. Valve has supported their community better than any other FPS developer (noone can debate this pre-steam) and I have no reason to think that they've turned on me.

Oh, and you've agreed to some kind of license for every major game you've played since 1998, probably most before then, too. The bottom line is you do need a license to use someone's code, and if you don't want to abide by said license well then you have no right to use that software.

I don't need some asshole telling me I have to do anything or meet any requirements to use something I paid for.

You mean.. like system requirements? This is the stupidest thing you've posted yet. Like it or not the end user is rarely (if ever, these days) given free reign over the software they purchase, Steam is nothing new in this department. Half-Life 1 had Sierra Utilities, btw, remember that crappy automatic update system that was installed with HL 1. I think we can all agree that steam is better than that POS.

I eat pasta!

29. Re: No subject Nov 6, 2004, 16:12 Elvis

I wonder, do you moan as much about those games that do not install if a user has other legitimately purchased software installed used for legitimate purposes? (http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/09/20/0416251&tid=206)

This is a much bigger problem.

I do not see Steam as an annoyance. It's a welcome addition, a simple and helpful tool when running, hosting or using a Valve game. It handles so much of the bullshit housekeeping that most games require. It makes for one less chunk of time I waste going to fileplanet/shack/whatever, clicking, clicking, clicking, standing in line, waiting, and then installing - oh wait it needs the CD for the patch to install? With Steam you simply log-in. Done. It's even more invisible if Steam launches with Windows and a connection. I appreciate fileplanet et al as archival resources and demo locations, but no more time wasted at one particular site with its own particular download scheme that has its own set of foibles. E.g., fileshack 'download ready' sound never plays for me which equals missed downloads. With other hosting sites, you'd betta have a good popup blocker installed. As far as requirements, any game made today has them. You're a shining example of the power of choice. Someone else posted something elsewhere on Bluenews saying its a matter of how they wish to spend their time. Its a good point to make here. Steam requires less of my time. That being true I enjoy the games more. Hopefully Steam expands to maps, models....

Incidentally Steam has an offline mode where the game can be used as installed from disc and updated once.

Q3 @ 24.24.216.59
This comment was edited on Nov 6, 17:11.

28. Re: No subject Nov 6, 2004, 14:36 Old_Geezer

Yes, I do trust them whenever I run their code. However, that code is obviously necessary to run the game. Steam is not. And with a game, I can just click "no" when my firewall tells me it is accessing the net without my consent and even though it pisses me off to no end when these assholes do that without any kind of prompt asking permission, it's an annoyance I have to deal with. Steam is an annoyance I have to deal with if I want to play Valve's games, and considering that Steam is not a game unto itself (except maybe to the hackers), I choose not to support Valve by paying for software and being told I'm not allowed to use it unless I submit to registering and creating an online account. It's an insult, and as far as I'm concerned, it should be outlawed...it's a totally f@cked-up thing to retail a product in a store, take one's money, and then deny them usage unless they get online to create an account. If you buy something retail, you should own it from the moment you fork out your cash. Having additional requirements to fulfill is bad news, and a bad trend. It's not Valve, or the possibility of hacker attacks or game stutters or potential privacy issues that I have a problem with (edit: actually that's a lie...I have a problem with all of those potential issues, but they aren't the main problem). It's the fact that this type of marketing even exists that I have a problem with! It is ethically wrong, and no amount of blathering in favor of Steam changes that. You pay for something, you own it. I thought that was the law. I don't need some asshole telling me I have to do anything or meet any requirements to use something I paid for. It aint an airplane, I don't need a friggin license to play a FPS. That is what I have a problem with, and though it really isn't an imediate problem in that I just won't buy the friggin game, it is a very real problem in that other developers may follow suit and all want some needless friggin apps running in the background, and even worse, assuming it is perfectly normal to demand things of a customer beyond their money..a disturbing concept made even more disturbing by the fact that so many gamers either don't care or have a clue that something very wrong is happening in our retail world.

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 15:09.

27. Re: No subject Nov 6, 2004, 14:28 Elvis

Gezer, you do that (trust a game company, that is) every time you run their code (ie play the game by clicking on an .exe). So what's your problem?

lol. I was wondering the same thing
Geezer, if the issue is only trust, I ask the question again: what's the problem? One cannot operate a modern day computer these days in a vacuum. I'd love to hear specifics as to why you loathe Steam enough to avoid not only HalfLife 2 (whoa dude!), but the other cool crap as well: the Source conversions (CS, HL, DOD), integrated messenging, easy (and I mean easy) server hosting (CFG/BAT files good riddance. no hassle-or-waiting in line updates, accessing Steam games from any PC.....
Next you'll be extolling the virtues of Betamax

Q3 @ 24.24.216.59

26. ? Nov 6, 2004, 14:25 Binabik

My question is: What the hell are you so worried about?

25. Re: No subject Nov 6, 2004, 14:02 MacD

Gezer, you do that (trust a game company, that is) every time you run their code (ie play the game by clicking on an .exe). So what's your problem?

24. Re: No subject Nov 6, 2004, 13:56 Old_Geezer

No argument can counter the fact that you are forced to 'trust' Valve and their superfluous software.]

<Takes out a shotgun and loads the buckshot shells>
How about the fact that you don't have to buy the game.
<fires>

"Right, I shoulda spelled it out for you..Here ya go:

"No argument can counter the fact that you are forced to 'trust' Valve and their superfluous software IF YOU WANT TO PLAY THEIR GAME".

I figured since I stated quite clearly I wouldn't buy their game that the average intelligent reader would put two and two together. My bad. Got any spelling mistakes you'd like to point out too? Snapperhead.

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 13:57.

23. Re: No subject Nov 6, 2004, 13:42 Tango

Any news on that benchmark thing they were talking about? Not that I wouldn't buy the game or anything.

22. Re: No subject Nov 6, 2004, 13:31 CrimsonPaw

Double post
<fires again>

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 13:32.

~~Crim~~

21. Re: No subject Nov 6, 2004, 13:31 CrimsonPaw

No argument can counter the fact that you are forced to 'trust' Valve and their superfluous software.]

<Takes out a shotgun and loads the buckshot shells>
How about the fact that you don't have to buy the game.
<fires>

~~Crim~~

20. No subject Nov 6, 2004, 12:38 Old_Geezer

I never mock anybody's opinions online unless my own opinions are mocked (see first sarcastic post below), then it's fair play (and usually fun). No argument can counter the fact that you are forced to 'trust' Valve and their superfluous software. I don't care if they swear it's safe, I don't care if the vatican is in charge of it's use...it's a matter of principle. I don't need steam to play halflife, and if I'm told otherwise (and I am) then screw halflife. If you think otherwise, that's your right. And if that's the trend gaming is going to follow, then I'll stop spending countless dollars keeping my machine up to date and get an x-box or whatever system comes out with a decent mouse controller first. I trust the internet as much as I trust the crack-head on the street corner. It is rife with slimeballs and unscrupulous lowlifes and the less software I have to worry about creating firewall rules for and praying hackers don't get in through, the better.

If that makes me a retard, then so be it...duh, stay the f@ck out of my box of chocolates! heh heh.

Geezer

19. Re: No subject Nov 6, 2004, 12:18 Wazootyman

<Sigh>... Somewhere around the fifth time you make a counter argument to the exact same claims, you begin to realize the truth behind the old quote: "Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics; even if you win, you're still a retard."

If you feel like reading through my largish post backlog, you could find valid counterarguments to the points you have made, but I don't expect you to (nor would I expect anyone to). Let me just say this as a general pointer to anyone here: Just because someone has a different opinion on an issue does not make them ignorant or a "fanboy"... Though you may think you understand every side of every issue and have selected the one "true" opinion, I can assure you that you have not.

18. No subject Nov 6, 2004, 11:20 Old_Geezer

Ooh...such cutting sarcasm! Lemme try...

I'm so happy! I'm a happy little Valve lap-dog! Arf! Arf! I don't care if I paid for the CD with cash...that shouldn't count as the price of admission! The $69cdn is just my contribution to the Valve Gods for honoring us with thier existence! It is only fair that I should be forced to register and create an online account with a peice of superfluous software that has nothing to do with playing the single-player game. Arf! Arf! Look at me Valve! I'm sticking up for you on the net! Won't you send me a black messa hero-cookie?!

Join your game-Borg! Go ahead and help establish a sickening precedent. I have never seen a company beg for piracy more than this one. I won't play it on principle, but I do get a laugh out of all the complacent weenies who ridicule people for taking that stance. How dare anyone think there is something seriously perverted about Valve's marketing tactics and having the gall to say it.

The irony is that it is only the would-be clients who are bitching about steam's ethical/privacy implications...the pirates don't give a rat's ass...nor should they. Neither do the idiots who implicitly trust ANYBODY's software to do things "in the background" either legitimately or through exploits the counterstrike kiddies will undoubtedly discover (wasn't their already vulnerability patches for steam?). Only the customers who prefer complete control over their machines and disable all non-essential services to wring out every drop of performance and would rather do manual updates are writing Valve off ass assholes and complaining, and even then, sadly, only a few.

Not having a problem with Valve forcing you to use steam and create an online account to play a single player game is one thing (one very stupid, short-sighted thing), but ridiculing anyone who says it's wrong is is damn funny stuff! It's like Valve's lap-dog kennel in here at times! lol

You buy the game and become a part of a problem (wether or not you're too thick-headed to see a problem) and I'll refuse to play it and not accomplish a damn thing. At least it's still a free country (and it's still my computer).

Have a nice day (arf! arf!)

Geezer

17. Re: Made myself a little room.. Nov 6, 2004, 11:06 vacs

Don't worry, Waachi. Top warez scientists across the globe are hard at work on HL2 as we speak.

I heard that already several times but somehow I doubt that we will see a warez version of HL2 before the 16th.

As you might know the retail version of HL2 comes in encrypted form on the DVD/CDs. That means there is no way any decryting can begin before valve releases the key on the 16th.

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 11:07.

16. release the game Nov 6, 2004, 10:22 Jim

release the game release the game release the game release the game

Jim

15. Re: Made myself a little room.. Nov 6, 2004, 10:16 Evil Timmy

Don't worry, Waachi. Top warez scientists across the globe are hard at work on HL2 as we speak.

14. Re: Made myself a little room.. Nov 6, 2004, 09:20 Waachi

someone hurry up and warez it already

13. Re: Made myself a little room.. Nov 6, 2004, 08:17 Viranth

Every time I see HL2 preloading my heart jumps, I feel so happy only to get my dream of playing crushed by the cruel message "When the game is officially released, you'll be able to play it immediately.".

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo