Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well, I certainly would not have joked about those chads yesterday if I imagined that we'd have a repeat of the last U.S. Presidential election, where the uncertainly over the outcome lingers like a hangover the morning after. Sick of the phrase "Provisional Ballots in Ohio" yet? I'm guessing soon enough we all will be. I guess in this clearly overly litigious society, it's only appropriate that our elections get decided in the courts. To my thinking, the oddest Election Day story comes from New Mexico, where they got tired of counting votes, and went home for the night. Thanks for playing guys. Oh yeah, and a note to all politicians... no matter how exuberant the moment... you really should avoid dancing when Kool & the Gang comes over the P.A. singing Celebrate (seek video of our reelected N.Y. Senator Schumer for a good example).

Play Time: EssayGenerator.com. Thanks Dave.
Links of the Day: Your Mud. Thanks Tony.
Stories of the Day: Astronaut Casts Vote From Space.
Ex-Raider held in Siegfried & Roy shooting. Thanks Devicer.
Vandals Glue Shut Australian Betting Shop Doors.
Science!: I Drill; Therefore, I Am. Chimpanzees Seem to Agree (registration required).
Humans, Chimps Think Different.
Media of the Day: Episode III Trailer on TV Tomorrow. Thanks Ant. (Sorry, I worte today at first).
Images of the Day: 6 Degrees of Bush/Kerry. Thanks Ant.
Auction of the Day: TRICK VIA mini ITX M10000 in Commodore 1541 Drive. Thanks Jeremiah.
Follow-up: Arctic heads into warmer future.
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
304 Replies. 16 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

304. hi Jan 28, 2005, 18:33 Adam Muhammad

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jan 29, 09:47.

Tech News, Fresh From Global News Sources, PC Review, Software Review Cyberculture
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

303. Re: No subject Nov 10, 2004, 11:28 NoThreat

Warhawk, you missed the point. None of your ideas are bad but none of them mean shit if we're voting on machines that can be hacked, and can't be doublechecked. Theres no way to know what the program on these machines is actually counting when you press the button for your candidate. This is of concern to anyone who is interested in fair elections.

None of your ideas are bad, although the constitution states that State legislatures choose their own method of choosing electors, they actually don't even have to have popular elections, they could just choose them in the state house. Thats not to say the states couldnt get together and agree on standards. I would actually be all for standardizing the mechanics across every state becuase that would help to get rid of other concerns like cases where certain neighborhoods getting fewer voting stations or being stuck with older equipment. There was a polling place in Ohio this year that was only equipped with 2 polling stations, but like 1100 people had to vote there. People ended up waiting 10 hours to vote. The district in question was one with a high student population that would have probably voted democrat. Secretary of State Kenneth Blackwell, a Republican and a conservative activist, oversaw the voting in Ohio. Draw your own conclusions.

I honestly dont give a fuck that Kerry didnt win. I mean I think Bush is bad for the country but I never believed Kerry would be much better. Besides that, Kerry having to go to court to win the presidency would really undemine the legitamacy of his administration, it would haunt his whole presidency just like 2000 hauted Bush and 2004 will haunt Bush in coming term. I reckon every president from either party elected with the current unreliable and unaudibale system will be dogged by these questions. I dont see how we can be sure of any result until the system is fixed.

This comment was edited on Nov 10, 11:30.

302. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2004, 19:06 Warhawk

5. Require a purge of all deceased voters, etc, before every election after the registration cutoff date. Mail a card to every voter with their voter info packet confirming their voting status. Mail a notification to everyone dropped from the rolls (enables mistakes to be caught early).

Alternately, require everyone to re-register before every election.

* Warhawk *

Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning?

The same thing that happens to everything else.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

301. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2004, 17:59 Warhawk

This is just leftover bitterness from the 2000 election. YOU LOST. Let it go, man, Let it go. Quit trying to steal elections.

You want to eliminate all of this? Do the following:

1. No last-minute voter registration. Have all the states require the same cutoff date for registration. Reduces fraud. Vote absentee in your old county/address if there are issues regarding re-registering after a move near the voting registration cutoff. There is no reason to have to register within the last 2 months or so prior to an election.

2. Create a nationwide voter registration list linked to SSN or a national ID - not a state form of ID. Eliminates those registered in multiple states from voting more than once.

3. Purge all the voter registration rolls upon implementation and start the list from scratch. Eliminates those unable to vote for various reasons (felon in jail, pets/kids registered to vote, dead voters, non-citizens, fraudulent registrations, etc.).

4. Create a federal agency to verify accurate voter registrations and assist those without SSN, have a birthday after the registration cutoff, or have other problems with the registration process.

5. Require a purge of all deceased voters, etc, before every election after the registration cutoff date. Mail a card to every voter with their voter info packet confirming their voting status. Mail a notification to everyone dropped from the rolls (enables mistakes to be caught early).

6. Allow provisional ballots to be cast, but they are to be verified prior to being counted.

It's the only way to ensure something resembling an accurate vote count.

* Warhawk *

Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning?

The same thing that happens to everything else.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

300. No subject Nov 9, 2004, 17:51 SanitysEdge

300...?
BTW, Kerry is a douchebag.

but... Bush is a even bigger douche.

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 17:56.

299. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2004, 17:48 Gandhi

Fine, fine, here is my contribution to 300. Now reply back and get to 300 and then let this post die. You better hurry though, or Blue might bury this thread before you get that chance

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

298. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2004, 17:16 Sepharo

Oh come one we can't die so close the 300 mark... Just do it! How about those partisan voting machines

297. Re: No subject Nov 8, 2004, 17:02 Gandhi

Christ! You people still debating about this. Good lord! There is a Warren Spector post that has just started. Go bitch over there and let this old thread die in peace

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

296. Re: No subject Nov 8, 2004, 16:45 NoThreat

Its not about Kerry. ITs about the fact that we have no idea what the actual popular vote was. The machines people voted could have possibly been rigged or hacked or the machine that tabulates the votes from the machines was hacked.

http://www.votergate.tv/

I'm not here to debate anyhow. Theres a million other boards for that shit, i just wanted to spread this around. Judge for yourself. The bottom line is that we have no way of knowing what the actual results were.

295. Re: No subject Nov 8, 2004, 16:22 nin

CALL FOR PUBLIC HEARINGS IN OHIO!!!

Oh Christ.

Let it go, man.

I voted for Kerry. Last I checked, he lost the popular vote, which I think is a lot more valid than the EC. It's time to move on.

http://www.placeboworld.co.uk

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

294. Re: No subject Nov 8, 2004, 16:11 NoThreat

CALL FOR PUBLIC HEARINGS IN OHIO!!!

They might have conceded - but we haven't conceded our right to have our votes
count.

The Ohio Citizens Alliance for Secure Elections (CASE-OH), Ohio Election Reform
Now, Common Cause Ohio, This Time We're Watching, Driving Votes, and the
Columbus League of Pissed Off Voters are calling for public hearings to
investigate voting irregularities and voter suppression in Ohio surrounding the
2004 General Election.

THIS IS A STATEWIDE CALL TO ACTION. VOTERS AND POLL WORKERS FROM AROUND THE
STATE ARE INVITED TO TESTIFY.

Saturday November 13, 1-4 PM
New Faith Baptist Church
955 Oak Street
Columbus, Ohio 43205

There will be a second hearing session in Columbus:
Monday November 15, 6-9 PM, Location TBA.

Citizens, voting experts, and investigative journalists will be invited
to present testimony for the pubic record documenting instances of voting
irregularities and systematic voter suppression. The coalition hopes to expose
the systemic undermining of our democratic process that occurred leading up to
and on Nov 2, and assess how to respond to racial disenfranchisement and
suppression of democratic rights.

The local coalition currently has the support of:

* Ohio Senator Teresa Fedor
* freelance journalist Lynn Landes
* Professor Robert Fitrakis (Free Press)
* Columbus Community Leader Bill Moss

We are seeking support from US Congressional Representatives, Ohio State
Representatives, nonpartisan organizations, and community and national
leaders. Experts and investigative reporters are invited to present testimony as
well.

Here are a few articles on the types of voter suppression/disenfranchisement
that we are hoping to call attention to:

Kerry Won. Greg Palast, Tompaine.com
http://www.tompaine.com/articles/kerry_won_.php

Did Kerry Concede Too Soon? Bob Fitrakis, The Free Press
http://www.freepress.org/columns/display/3/2004/981

Was the Ohio Election Honest and Fair? Institute for Public Accuracy
http://www.accuracy.org/press_releases/PR110304.htm

Worse Than 2000: Tuesday's Electoral Disaster, William Rivers Pitt, Truthout
http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/110804A.shtml

None Dare Call it Voter Suppression and Fraud, Bob Fitrakis, Free Press
http://www.freepress.org/columns/display/3/2004/983

To get involved, sponsor this call, or testify on Saturday, contact:

Amy Kaplan and Jonathan Meier
Columbus League of Pissed Off Voters
Cell 248-943-2335
Home 614-405-2160
amy@indyvoter.org

------
Also check out:

http://www.blackboxvoting.org
This comment was edited on Nov 8, 16:14.

293. No subject Nov 4, 2004, 15:31 Malakai

Just think, this is almost as big as the HL2 thread.....yay!

On the HL2 note, i got 3 geeks that worked in my local GAME store to have a huge debate as to how many times said game has gone gold and not been released. One of them thought it was 3. Didn't stay for an explanation, got bored of the geek chat.

292. Re: Hmmm Nov 4, 2004, 14:04 ZigZang

Only 290 posts?

Are we done here? Good. Ready . . . break!

ZigZang

291. Hmmm Nov 4, 2004, 11:05 Creston

Only 290 posts? I would have expected at least a thousand.

Anyone have any idea where I can find a Patriot in GTA 3 : San Andreas? My exporting business needs one, and I just can't find the damn thing.

Creston

290. Re: To Halsy,and the left Nov 4, 2004, 10:34 MMORPGHoD

That's right! I'm glad it's over..

At least some people know it's over...

289. Re: To Halsy,and the left Nov 4, 2004, 09:42 ZigZang

Sorry guys. There is no way I am going to allow some military bozo who thought killing people for money was a good way to earn a living to have the last post in this thread.

Well there's no way I'm gonna let a troll like JoeBlow have the last post.

You sir are Princess Leia.

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 09:55.

ZigZang

288. Re: To Halsy,and the left Nov 4, 2004, 09:38 JosephBlowski

Sorry guys. There is no way I am going to allow some military bozo who thought killing people for money was a good way to earn a living to have the last post in this thread.

Why don't you go talk to the families of 9/11 you crowing, gloating killer? You will find out that the wonderful Bush government has left the remains of some of the people buried in a garbage dump.

Yes you heard that right. There are human remains from the WTC in a garbage dump in NY. The administration PROMISED the families they would go thru the debris and find these remains. Now the administration has decided it is too expensive. They are going to bulldoze over the debris and make a park out of it.

How would you feel if you mother, father, sister, brother, grandmother, grandfather, was buried in a garbage dump? And when you went to the oh so caring politicians who promised to recover the remains, the politicians said "Sorry, we lied"?

It is easy to tell you are a republican. You are simple. You write in all capital. "Those are dividing words blah blah". Your entire post is nothing more than gloating, sticking the knife in and twisting it. Something I am certain they taught you do to in the human killing training academy you attended.

I would bet that most muslim people are 10 times the man you are. Better people, more kind, more religious, more knowledgable about the world. You write as if you are a bumpkin living in a trailer in Oklahoma. I am ashamed that people of the world think all Americans are like you.

As for being the Looney Left. Sure you can call me or other liberals that. Why not. Since you are a man, a big military man who kills people, that means you can take what you dish out right?

You are part of the Simple Minded, Murderous Right. If someone does something you do not understand, you kill it because you need to make your brain stop hurting from the pain of trying to think.

287. Re: To Halsy,and the left Nov 4, 2004, 08:13 Hooley

Yeah, I wouldn't call Bush's victory a landslide either. But it was a huge win considering the barrage of deceptive attacks from the majority of all media outlets: books, magazines, newspapers, CDs, TV, and even the big screen.

But then, all that made winning just that much sweeter.

286. To Halsy,and the left Nov 4, 2004, 07:05 badasscat

Clinton won by almost 6 million votes in 92 and by over 8 million votes in 96 and dominated the electoral college both times. That, little brain on the right, is what's called a landslide victory.

I believe Reagan defines a landslide my boy.

And you crying here on the boards is really making a difference.....lol

There are more than 2 parties in the USA,you can vote for one of them.....in fact here(TN) there were 5 on the ballot.

So quit your whining about how bad it is(when its readily apparent that you guys HAVE GAME PCs and an ISP) and go run for something......I dont like Kerry,but at least he conceded in a nice way..............and he ran for an office back in the 70's to try to change things....you guys just type on boards all day spouting opinions to the winds trying to sound smart to strangers(with similar AND opposing views).

You can vote for Hilliary next time,Im almost sure she wont be caught with her panties down like Billy did.

I never post here(hence the board comment),but I will say that if you dont think hunting down and catching/killing these radical Islamists(which Im sure Halsy would be the first to agree that at least they are being politically motivated..lol) first is vital to our economy(dow hates uncertainty) then you go and tell that to one of the families that lost someone that day in Sept.

I for one was damn glad that Gore was at home,and not in the White House that day......

So eat that shitsandwich,and chew chew chew....because even Jimmy Carter the other day said,"The revolutionary War,was an Unnessecary war.....we could have been like Canada"

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it Halsy,along with Cronkite saying,"Karl Rove was a genius at getting that Bin Laden tape out"

THOSE ARE DIVIDING WORDS FROM YOUR SIDE OF THE AISLE

Ted Koppel interviewing Commies,and comparing THEIR words and recollections to our OWN VETS!!!

These are YOUR messengers....

They call it the Looney Left for a reason.

And the Bleeding Heart Liberals.......wah..cry me a river
with your good intentions you pansies..

Tom
(USMC F.Sgt,ret)

285. Re: Front page Nov 4, 2004, 06:44 Tango

The front page is all messed up, after the second news post there are no more blue, bold headlines and half the articles are entirely yellow. I'm using Mozilla Firefox 1.0 PR. It looks like a CSS error. I do not get the error in IE 6.
Yeah I had that, it's fixed now.

Anyone's (UK) MSN Messenger not working? It claims all systems stable and running, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Edit: Yeah it is now

Congrats to Bush, and congrats to Kerry for being gracious in defeat. Let's just hope Bush uses this opportunity to unite rather than be a complete retard and divide, let's hope he doesn't implement a bunch of pathetic moral majority policies. Let's hope he changes some people about. Let's hope Rumsfeld gets removed. Let's hope the nutter neo-cons are told where to go.

Im sure anything I have to say has been discussed on the previous 300-odd posts. I'm sure if I had the time to read it all I'd agree with JediLuke & Zathrus, and to a degree with Halsy (though I may roll my eyes on occasions, you understand ;P).

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 07:58.

304 Replies. 16 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo