Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

WoW Final Stress Test on FP

Details on a week-long final stress test for World of Warcraft have been revealed, though the World of Warcraft Community Site has been battered into uselessness by the announcement. Details on the test are available on FilePlanet, where you will see it requires a paid subscription for the privilege of helping test the game. Word is the test will run for a week, at which point open beta testing of Blizzard's eagerly anticipated MMORPG will begin.

View
46. Re: Early Christmas Present for Me Nov 2, 2004, 09:19 Bronco

Did you see there's a new patcher?

Yes I did. I tried using it for 4 hours yesterday and managed to download 48MB of the 2563.93MB that the new client represents. My upload was 50K and my download 1K. Not only that, surfing the web was impossible. MSN messenger kept losing it's connection. My mail client was reporting that it could not connect to the mail server. If I closed the Blizzard downloader everything worked again! This is exactly what downloading every single patch has been like for me.

I have followed Blizzards instructions which include:

• Turning off your Firewall - a dumb idea but I tried it - no improvement

• Forwarding a series of ports to your PC if it is on a router - I did it - no improvement

• Removing the router and connecting directly to the internet - again not very practical but I did it - no improvement

• While the WoW forums were crashing last night I found a link to a website that posts the tracker info for the WoW patches. I fired up a third party BT client this morning and was downloading at 85-90K and uploading at 14K. Please note that the 85-90K was with the firewall ON, and the router IN PLACE.

I've tried to use the downloader for every single patch. After 4-8 hours of little to no progress I've given up every single time and found the tracker info. Every single time I have tried every step listed above. Every single time my download has skyrocketed and I'm back online playing/testing when I use a third party BT client.

I want the Blizzard downloader to work. I want to test it so they get the results they need. That is why I tried the above tests every time despite my serious doubts that they would work at all.

I'm not an expert with BT but from what I understand the issue with the Blizzard downloader is that it does not limit the upload speed. This in turn saturates your connection to the internet and prevents downstream data from being recognized. The beta testers have been through this a million times with Blizzard, merely asking for a way to limit the upload. Blizzard has stated that they are looking at the issue but nothing seems to have changed in a while.

So when we buy the game, just install from CD/DVD and then patch via the patcher... no need for the blizzard downloader anymore really.

I'm sure there will be patches upon patches. Some of them quite large in size. Remember, there is a lot of content that is not in the game yet. Now, I haven't complained about this issue so far because after all, this is a beta and we are testing their systems. However, if I am paying for this service and it does not improve or alternate methods are not allowed or provided for that matter, I will complain.

I find it interesting that Blizzard has had little to say with regards to the problems with the downloader (even going so far as to nuke threads on the subject and delete posts that point to the tracker) and yet when it comes time for the second stress test they go ahead and make the client available via Fileplanet. If there are no issues with the downloader then why use Fileplanet's bandwidth? I understand that there is money involved here but I also find it funny that the closed beta people that have 'tested' the downloader are expected to continue to 'test' the downloader while people that are signing up for the 'STRESS TEST' do not need to test the downloader which obviously needs more 'testing'.

The patcher was quite fast for me too...

I think a lot of this has to do with people catching a connection to a seed. With my BT client I can see when I connect to a seed, my D/L rate really boosts. I also wonder what type of connection you have to the internet and how it may have some impact on your ability to download. Apparently ADSL has more issues with this than cable connections.

Well, I didn't want this to be a rant against Blizzard. Overall I'm happy with the game and will be buying it when it goes retail. I've just resigned myself to using alternate methods to the 'Blizzard downloader'.

edit - spelling/clarity

-TPFKAS2S
    http://www.braglio.com
    teh m4y0r ownz a GabeN b4ckp4k
    This comment was edited on Nov 2, 09:37.

-TPFKAS2S
    Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
      1. Nov 1, 19:05 Mischevious stress test SebCain
      12. Nov 1, 19:53  Re: Mischevious stress test Crunch
      13. Nov 1, 20:00  Re: Mischevious stress test zincthallinide
      14. Nov 1, 20:10   Re: Mischevious stress test Awesome Spume
      15. Nov 1, 20:19    Re: Mischevious stress test AcidDrone
      16. Nov 1, 20:27    Re: Mischevious stress test heroin
      26. Nov 1, 22:32   Re: Mischevious stress test Xero
      2. Nov 1, 19:17 No subject goatman
      3. Nov 1, 19:20  Re: No subject Scorpion
      4. Nov 1, 19:26   Re: No subject ExcessDan
      5. Nov 1, 19:28    Re: No subject Nix
      6. Nov 1, 19:30     Re: No subject tacomodo
      7. Nov 1, 19:30      Re: No subject tacomodo
      8. Nov 1, 19:33  Re: No subject DedEye
      9. Nov 1, 19:35  Re: No subject Snarl
      10. Nov 1, 19:41 I subscribed MrAsh
      11. Nov 1, 19:45 No subject Michael Bolton's hair dresser
      17. Nov 1, 20:36 Er... Sarcasmo
      36. Nov 2, 01:05  Re: Er... RTSNut
      38. Nov 2, 02:09   Re: Er... Sarcasmo
      18. Nov 1, 20:37 No subject goatman
      19. Nov 1, 20:52  Re: No subject Nix
      20. Nov 1, 21:03   Re: No subject ccc
      23. Nov 1, 21:40    Re: No subject ccc
      24. Nov 1, 21:49     Re: No subject wolve
      25. Nov 1, 22:09      Re: No subject ccc
      27. Nov 1, 22:52      (He paints a big bulls-eye on his shirt) Paranoid Jack
      28. Nov 1, 23:03       Re: (He paints a big bulls-eye on his shirt) Nix
      40. Nov 2, 07:19   Re: No subject Halsy
      41. Nov 2, 07:23    Re: No subject Nix
      21. Nov 1, 21:06 WoW website Bronco
      22. Nov 1, 21:12  it is only 7.99 Grounded
      29. Nov 1, 23:18 No subject Xii
      30. Nov 2, 00:08 Early Christmas Present for Me Riker
      31. Nov 2, 00:20  Re: Early Christmas Present for Me Muffinman
      32. Nov 2, 00:30  Re: Early Christmas Present for Me Paranoid Jack
      33. Nov 2, 00:45   Re: Early Christmas Present for Me Riker
      34. Nov 2, 00:57    Re: Early Christmas Present for Me Muffinman
      37. Nov 2, 01:14     Re: Early Christmas Present for Me Riker
      42. Nov 2, 07:27      Re: Early Christmas Present for Me Bronco
      43. Nov 2, 08:21       Re: Early Christmas Present for Me Nix
      44. Nov 2, 08:55        lol ZzeusS
      45. Nov 2, 09:09         FilePlanet Dropped the Ball... Mingus
      50. Nov 2, 11:58          Re: FilePlanet Dropped the Ball... Mega Fantasy Sci-Fi PostApocalyptic MMORTRPFPS 9000
      53. Nov 2, 12:21           Re: FilePlanet Dropped the Ball... Mingus
    >> 46. Nov 2, 09:19        Re: Early Christmas Present for Me Bronco
      47. Nov 2, 09:55         Re: Early Christmas Present for Me Nix
      48. Nov 2, 11:32          Re: Early Christmas Present for Me ReDeeMeR
      49. Nov 2, 11:44           Re: Early Christmas Present for Me Nix
      51. Nov 2, 12:09           Re: Early Christmas Present for Me Bronco
      52. Nov 2, 12:15          Re: Early Christmas Present for Me Bronco
      54. Nov 2, 12:59           Re: Early Christmas Present for Me Nix
      55. Nov 2, 19:54            Re: Early Christmas Present for Me Muffinman
      39. Nov 2, 02:17     Re: Early Christmas Present for Me porp
      35. Nov 2, 01:02   Re: Early Christmas Present for Me Midnight
      56. Nov 5, 19:49 No subject Xero