Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Delay

Stalker Oblivion-Lost.com has the English translation of a post by THQ's Max Stellar to the official German forum for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl commenting on the just-announced delay for GSC Game World's upcoming first-person shooter (story). Saying a press release would probably show up with more detail on this shortly, he describes the complications testing the game's dynamic life simulation system:

Simply put: The developers have to play through S.T.A.L.K.E.R. again and again and examine how the other stalkers and creatures react and how this influences the whole course of the game. I am glad that THQ does not release the title under time pressure, but offers the necessary time that the development requires, so that GSC can live up to the high expectations.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: beta? Oct 29, 2004, 05:54 aldo_14

Or why not just start that betatesting they have been talking about? Let a few thousand people from the community test it instead of just 10-20 developers. Guess which takes more time?

Because it'd be on sale on pirate stalls in Moscow within hours.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: No subject #16 Oct 29, 2004, 03:44 Paranoid Jack

"What other features besides coop have been dropped? "

-One continuous world has become zones.
-The player character cannot go prone.
-The ability to lean was in question and added to the chopping block also. Though it has yet to be publicly axed.
-Not just Coop but up to eight player coop, if I remember right.

A few more but I am tired and must get to bed... somebody with a good memory please pick up where I left off.

Either way I still plan on getting it but it all depends on the demo they release before the retail version is actually bought.

16. Re: No subject Oct 28, 2004, 23:47 7.62WorldOrder

What other features besides coop have been dropped?

15. No subject Oct 28, 2004, 22:39 Elf Shot The Food

So many features and ideas dropped from when they first started making it; when did Peter Molyneux move to Russia?

14. Re: beta? Oct 28, 2004, 22:34 LgFriess

"It never seemed that impressive to me. A whole living world is only impressive as a technical feat unless it makes great gameplay, and I haven't seen any great gameplay in those videos that have been released over time."

You've got to be kidding. The videos look GREAT! I'm much more worried about a letdown after seeing how much fun this game looks to be.

13. Re: test all you want Oct 28, 2004, 21:56 Valtyr

Who didn't see any of this coming? I mean is there no one left here who has witnessed every major released suffer from the same thing?

/shrug

12. test all you want Oct 28, 2004, 21:12 Jim

but can we PLEASE have a teaser demo using the current build?

Jim

11. No subject Oct 28, 2004, 20:56 space captain

wahhhh wahhh baby wants his bottle

gimme a fuckin break

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

10. Re: No Coop so I don't care Oct 28, 2004, 19:31 Viranth

I'm a valve employee in disguise, and my mission is to convince everyone it will a very good game.

9. Re: No Coop so I don't care Oct 28, 2004, 19:22 lament

don't know why you're bringing up HL2 in a STALKER post, since they're totally unrelated games.

8. Re: No Coop so I don't care Oct 28, 2004, 19:17 Viranth

What the hell is Stalker? Does the player take the role of the stalker that wanted to buttrape Steven Spielberg?

Anyhoo, stalker looked awesome a while back, but now HL2 is looking better and better, and the modding community will probably turn HL2 into electronic orgasm.

7. Re: No Coop so I don't care Oct 28, 2004, 19:13 Jules

"they can delay this until doomsday for all I care, no coop no play for me."

LOL. So thats your requirement for games is it? Bye bye.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 19:14.

6. Re: beta? Oct 28, 2004, 19:11 Spiffae

Translation: The developers have played through STALKER over and over again, and they realize that while they have a game that has some good parts, they don't have something that can compete with GTA:SA, Halo 2, and Half-Life 2. They are going to hold the game and fine tune it until those games are a ways in the past, then they will release their game.

I think that's fair enough, I know that STALKER would be the first to go if i had to pick three out of four. It never seemed that impressive to me. A whole living world is only impressive as a technical feat unless it makes great gameplay, and I haven't seen any great gameplay in those videos that have been released over time.

Just my $.02

Admin/Editor - http://www.beyondhalflife.com

5. Re: No subject Oct 28, 2004, 19:04 Mad Max RW

Haha, Panick, I was thinking the same thing.

STALKER's been delayed so many times, and lots of features have since been removed (officially, or quietly under everybody's noses) that it's no longer what everybody expected and was promised one year ago. There are so many inconsistencies with recent previews, interviews, and other wasted coverage.

They promised the moon and it's catching up with them. What this means: their amazing "life simulation" AI isn't worth shit. It doesn't work. Simple as that.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 19:09.

4. beta? Oct 28, 2004, 18:52 Panick

Or why not just start that betatesting they have been talking about? Let a few thousand people from the community test it instead of just 10-20 developers. Guess which takes more time?

--------------
Always expect the worst and you will never be dissapointed

3. Re: No subject Oct 28, 2004, 18:51 J/K

yeah sure and you of course happen to know exactly how long it takes to test something as complex as they attempt to pull off.

2. Re: No subject Oct 28, 2004, 18:48 Mad Max RW

What a load of horse shit. It does not take a year to only test a game.

1. No Coop so I don't care Oct 28, 2004, 18:42 Monty

they can delay this until doomsday for all I care, no coop no play for me.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo