Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Brothers in Arms 2 Revealed

Computer And Video Games reports learning that preliminary development on Brothers in Arms 2 is underway, well in advance of the release of the first BiA World War II shooter (the non-announcement a stark contrast to the build-up to revealing the original game). They quote Gearbox military adviser Colonel John Antal as saying "We're working on the sequel," and they say that part of the European tour to promote Brothers in Arms will provide research for the follow-up. It's possible the second game would center around Operation Market Garden, though the Battle of the Bulge was also mentioned as a future battlefield as well, as Colonel Antal goes on to say: "We're going to follow Sgt. Matt Baker through World War II, I think people are going to want to hear his story."

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. addon Oct 28, 2004, 05:41 f13

hey it's an addon, not a BiA 2 ;-)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: I don't know about you, but... Oct 27, 2004, 19:36 aldo_14

I can't wait to hear Sgt Matt Baker's story! Whoever he is.

What sort of weirdos announce a sequel to a game before the first game is even released?

Ones with good financing.

To be fair, this isn't a company announcement, but a quote from an advisor/consultant - i.e. a 3rd party.

41. I don't know about you, but... Oct 27, 2004, 19:24 trog

I can't wait to hear Sgt Matt Baker's story! Whoever he is.

What sort of weirdos announce a sequel to a game before the first game is even released?

40. Re: No subject Oct 27, 2004, 17:21 blah

"Developing a game isn't like trying to fit elephants into a Suzuki Swift."
It is if developing on the PS2

"If you have stuff you want to put in the game, you don't have to wait for a sequel to squeeze it in."
Games would take 10 years to complete then, kinda like DNF I guess.

39. Re: No subject Oct 27, 2004, 17:21  famished 

"If you have stuff you want to put in the game, you don't have to wait for a sequel to squeeze it in."

If you want the game on the shelf in a reasonable time you do. There are usually fairly strict limits to where the dev should stop adding features (called feature freeze). It allows stable development of the game from that point forward in theory. In an industry that changes so rapidly you have to know when to draw the line and say enough is enough. DNF is a prime example of the worst of development paranoia.

38. Re: No subject Oct 27, 2004, 17:04 Parallax Abstraction

Ever think that Gearbox might have more stuff they want to do with Brothers in Arms but weren't able to fit it into the first game?

Developing a game isn't like trying to fit elephants into a Suzuki Swift. If you have stuff you want to put in the game, you don't have to wait for a sequel to squeeze it in. You only use this excuse when you want a reason to make multiple games and make people pay twice for what they should get upfront. They assume that because Brothers In Arms follows the same formula as every other WWIIFPS (and it will, mark my words), that it will do well and thus, a sequel will succeed and they might as well develop it. And the thing is, it will succeed because people will buy more of the same.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
StateOfGaming.org Coming Soon

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

37. No subject Oct 27, 2004, 15:30 Bunko

Operation Market Garden gets my vote for the best setting. Hold the bridges, chaps!

http://citizenb.com/ - Shameless website plug.
Some men get the world. Others get ex-hookers and a trip to Arizona.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

36. Re: LOL Oct 27, 2004, 15:29 ExcessDan

sorry i guess i should have said 1.5 years then

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan:
The mayor of your hearts <3<3<3<3<3

ExcessDan

35. LOL Oct 27, 2004, 15:23 Shataan

"Instead just 2 years.. so much better What planet do you live on?"

Do you ever read replies all the way thru, and then actually understand what is being said?

HL 2 was announced and supposed to be released 6 months after it was announced. WTF said anything bout liking 2 years? I appluade how Valve was supposed to release the game=6 months after they announced. Understand yet? Thx for playing.

And for your info. I didn`t like HL 1, tried the HL 2 leak and didn`t like that either. And won`t be buying. Are you finished humping my leg yet? ;0( Do you kiss your girlfriend with that mouth?

34. Re: No subject Oct 27, 2004, 15:13 Vodkatini

"Actually LotR 1, 2 and 3 aren't true sequels since they were all filmed simultaneously, or more accurately they were all filmed 'continuously'."

how about mentioning the fact that the films are actually based on a series of books that were written as a single, epic novel... and each, ahem, "sequel" was published within a couple years of each other? or the fact that they were written almost 50 years ago, well before sequelmania ever existed.

jesus f.h. christ, what else do kids learn in school these days besides how to contract "you are" as "ur" or confuse the possessive form of "they" for "there"?

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 15:14.

33. Re: No subject Oct 27, 2004, 15:11 Calabi-Yau

For Ghod's Sake, man, you can play a rendition of Operation Market Garden in about 150 existing WWII games -- they all do it, along with a version of the Normandy beaches. What surprises can it have for you now?

32. Re: as a potential buyer Oct 27, 2004, 15:07 ExcessDan

Instead just 2 years.. so much better What planet do you live on?

Done sucking valve cock now?

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan:
The mayor of your hearts <3<3<3<3<3

ExcessDan

31. as a potential buyer Oct 27, 2004, 14:43 Shataan

I gotta say I really respected HL 2s Devs for NOT announcing till when they did. Even tho the actual release went south, they still did not make the community/gamers wait for 4 to 5 years wading thru hype.

Gaming is Big Business. Publishers do not have to bait the possible market out there like they do. Dev`ing a game is pretty well a science by now. And the market IS there for a good game.

Take a look at STALKER. How many of you by now have read quite enough STALKER Q&As? How many Devs/Publishers whathaveyou have strung the gamers on for years before releasing, or in Brousards case not released at all? hehhehhhe

And on the other side of the coin, how many Publishers kick the games asses out the door way before they are ready for primetime? It truly is a cutthroat business.

And how bout features hyped, and then slowly and as quietly as possible the Dev Team pulls those features from the final release??? STALKER and Men Of Valor both pulling Co op. What pray tell goes on behind those closed doors in the game dev world???

And then ya gotta love that fine print done specificly to cover their asses:

"Gameplay is subject to change without notice". And the fact that Publishers can say whatever they like about the games features, and when that game arrives without the features you thought you were paying for, they can`t be held liable. hahahahaha
This comment was edited on Oct 27, 14:46.

30. Re: No subject Oct 27, 2004, 14:22 fcuk

all this probably means is the first game will be only like 5 hrs worth of gameplay.

29. Re: No subject Oct 27, 2004, 14:11 nin

And "Baker's Dozen" whould have been a great name!

Yeah, for a budget game!

http://www.placeboworld.co.uk

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

28. Re: LOL Oct 27, 2004, 13:53 Valtyr

Ermm, Gear Box hasn't announced anything yet. This statement was made by their advisor person. May have been a case of "Ooops, did I say sequel? I ment to say, err..nothing".

And while I'm never tired of World War II games, I'm not even looking forward to more scripted MoH style crap.

27. Re: No subject Oct 27, 2004, 13:48 FourPak

They do this in the movie industry from time to time (The Lord of the Rings)
how DARE you besmirch the name of Tolkien by comparing that film masterpiece to what game marketing weasels do! ( j/k )

Actually LotR 1, 2 and 3 aren't true sequels since they were all filmed simultaneously, or more accurately they were all filmed 'continuously'. Maybe BiA intended this as well, it's not so much a new game sequel as it is a continuation .

And "Baker's Dozen" whould have been a great name!

26. Re: LOL Oct 27, 2004, 13:39 BicycleRepairMan

q{I dont really view BiA in the same light as Daikatana.}q

I didnt really mean to compare them either, but either way I was talking about BiA2 , not BiA. I was just pointing out that theres no good reason to announce or promote stuff this early, the hype will just go crazy, as we've seen far to often

q{Do not forget that Half life's longetivity was mainly due to having two solid mods, Counter Strike and Day of Defeat}q

If HL was a crappy game, Counter-Strike would be a Daikatana mod but seriously, HL was already good, and a great game to modify, the reason mods were so successful was the amazing support by valve, releasing new free add-ons TFC, DMC, Ricochet, their support and effort to make mods popular with innovations like a mod-browser etc. But yes of course CS is the main reason HL is still alive.

November 16, here I come.

25. Re: LOL Oct 27, 2004, 13:19 carnevil47

"Ever since Daikatana, or infact probably long before that, I've never understood all these early announcements, I understand games need hype, its good for the sales, but I would think it'd be better to announce games in late development"

Didnt they follow this formula for BiA? Afterall, they didnt announce the game until they were in the late development stage where most of the concepts have been decided. All Gearbox did was announce that they were researching material for a sequel. This doesnt imply that they will release concept arts and early screen shots every year until release.

"and of course it'd help not making the release a complete anti-climax ala Daikatana, because that will definatly hurt the sales in the long term."

I dont really view BiA in the same light as Daikatana. Daikatana was only suppose to take 7 month to Ion storm to release. That is why it was overhyped after the initial announcement just to create buzz before it was released. When Romereo decided to switch engines and keep on hyping, then shit hit the fans. So unless Gearbox starts going crazy with the hype for BiA 2, this does not really imply that it will be anti climatic.

"Hype sells the first week, just look at DOOM3, but it wont help in the long haul, for that, you need a game that simply kicks ass."

Do not forget that Half life's longetivity was mainly due to having two solid mods, Counter Strike and Day of Defeat. If it wasnt for these mod, espcially Counter Strike, I doubt Half life 2 would have the longetivity it enjoys today.

24. We won't be done with World War II games Oct 27, 2004, 13:19 Hunterzyph

till it is a fully simulated, fully realized (emphasis here) MMORPG with photorealistic graphics.

After that, we'll be done.

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo