Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

NFS Underground 2 Demo

A demo of the PC edition of Need for Speed Underground 2 is now available, allowing the chance to test drive EA's illegal racing sequel. The 346 MB download can be found on 3D Gamers, ActionTrip, Boomtown (registration required), Computer Games, Download.com (thanks Ant), FileFront, Filerush (torrent), FileShack (registration required), Gameguru Mania, GameSpot DLX (registration required), and Worthplaying.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: NSIS, Wise, or InstallShield, not Wi Oct 27, 2004, 10:39 ReDeeMeR

I have 9800 pro to and plays high at 1280x960 really smooth, but it's so bloody boring, the kiddie like city doesnt help either... heck the headlights are just a pain on the road, they dont project like in real life, meh

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: NSIS, Wise, or InstallShield, not WinZip Oct 27, 2004, 09:10 Moonbender

TBH I think WinZip setups have the enormous advantage that you can just manually extract them when for some reason something doesn't work as advertised. Often you can just extract yourself and you're good to go, no installing needed. Games should just create all the registry keys they need on the first run, anyway. If an InstallShield installer doesn't work, there's pretty much nothing you can do.

18. More of same Oct 27, 2004, 06:28 Cartman

It looks and plays about the same as NFSU 1. This isn't bad it's just a little different.

It wont let me up the detail to max on a Radeon9800Pro without making everything super dark but looks nice and plays smooth at 1280x1024 at a medium setting.

http://forum.ramanon.com

17. NSIS, Wise, or InstallShield, not WinZip Oct 27, 2004, 00:25 Evil Timmy

When will professional game developers realize that WinZip SFX EXEs suck? Use a proper install system, or fix your own installer, so that you can put out a single EXE file that uses internal compression, contains all you need for the setup, and that cleans up the temp installer files after it's done. Don't make me extract THEN run the setup, and leave me to delete the useless installer files on my own.

Curse the fact that I can't *PROPER* a crap EA demo release.

As for the actual game, I really enjoyed Outrun mode, and it seems like it'd be awesome for LAN games. Your knowledge of the maps and quick reaction time can turn a huge lead into a neck-and-neck race, or vice versa. My only issue with it is that the radius around a car you have to be in is pretty small, and when using a keyboard and trying to drive and set yourself up at the same time, it can be annoying trying to get the outrun race actually started. The new downhill drift is absolutely insane, and takes a bit of getting used to when you're more familiar with NFSU's track-based drifting. Regular circuit racing is alright, but the perpetual twilight combined with the often rainy conditions, the overall busy brightness of the city, and more than a few nasty sharp corners, can make seeing precisely where you want to go difficult at times. Graphics-wise, most of the improvement seems to be in the lighting, and there's a number of new effects over NFSU, but I'm not really impressed by any of them. It's defintely an upgrade over NFSU, but I doubt I'll pay $50 for it, especially with enough other stuff (especially HL2) out around the same time to keep me occupied.
This comment was edited on Oct 27, 01:13.

16. Video glitches with GF6800? Oct 26, 2004, 22:41 Zadillo

I have a GF6800GT....... this game seems to look very good, generally (very shiney and all that), but I noticed that there seem to be some sort of glitches when I play...... specifically around things like streelights and I think the reflections on the car itself. It's like this static pixellated texture that looks like it's overlayed where I imagine some glowing light effects would be. Anyone else experience anything like this, or does this possibly mean I have some other problem? I think I'm running the latest Nvidia drivers.

15. dashboard Oct 26, 2004, 22:16 Killer Kane

yeah , why cant they include the dashboard in the views ( at least this one has a hood view ) ,,,,graphics are great !...and my thrustmaster's force feedback nearly ripped the wheel out of my hands ! i LOVED underground , and the "free roam" the city option will make thia a drunken party favorite ( i had to kill that hip hop song , but the queens of the stoneage was a nice touch,,,you can import your own music in the full version anyway

14. Re: No subject Oct 26, 2004, 21:36 PHJF

They chose to opt for style instead of substance. It's the same game with a new paintjob (or vinyls in this case).

Visuals and audio (not music) got an upgrade. That's about it.

And I like how I cannot change my wheel controls and force feedback isn't working.

Also, no driver's seat camera. Playing a racing game without a driver's camera is a severe letdown, as it was in the first game.

Oh well... *back to Richard Burns Rally*

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: No subject Oct 26, 2004, 19:42 Hump

Is this worth dling besides new cars and tracks? Any big updates that make the dl worth it? If it's the same shitty game, blah!

better: graphics: not insanely so but better.
sound: awesome. music tracks are middling
but the ambient and the cars are amazing with
5.1 surround.
control: more responsive

same: sense of speed (which was great in the first game)
an annoying hip-hop track for the default
menu music.
perpetual twilight

----------------------------------------------------------------------
What Would Fred Do?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

12. Re: No subject Oct 26, 2004, 19:27 Pete

#9 i used to get that a month or so ago. but it went away about a week or so after it started

swg free and loving it

Doin' it Big

11. Download.com = Fast Oct 26, 2004, 19:21 Ant

http://www.download.com/Need-for-Speed-Underground-2-demo/3000-7534_4-10331371.html?tag=lst-2-2

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

10. Re: No subject Oct 26, 2004, 18:37 PHJF

uh oh....

*busts out Momo Racing wheel*

ill get back to you folks with the low down.

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

9. No subject Oct 26, 2004, 18:31 StreetPreacher

Does it have replays? I couldn't believe the first game shipped without replays.

And yes, I hear that in the new one you get to drive around the city pretty much free-form.

On a semi-related topic, is anyone else getting pop-up ads instead of the forums sometimes when they click on the "Comments" links on the main page? It's annoying as hell.

8. No subject Oct 26, 2004, 18:23 Xero

Is this worth dling besides new cars and tracks? Any big updates that make the dl worth it? If it's the same shitty game, blah!

"This my finest sword. If in your journey you should encounter God, God will be cut." -Hattori Hanzo ~Kill Bill

Currently playing: Skyrim

7. Bush or NFSU2? Oct 26, 2004, 18:17 Dr_Fripp

If NFSU2 were a presidential candidate, would one suddenly vote for G. W. Bush?

If G. W. Bush were a racing game, would one suddenly like NFSU2?

Tough questions, I'd say.

6. Re: First! Oct 26, 2004, 17:59 ReDeeMeR

Is ANYTHING proper in this game at all?? Like you hit a wall and get a proper treatment?

5. Re: First! Oct 26, 2004, 17:39 Quboid

Is there proper LAN play? That and a free roaming city was the 2 big gaps in NFSU1.

Quboid

- Quboid

4. Re: First! Oct 26, 2004, 17:36 Panick

Wow, replay at last, and some other new things. Otherwise it's the same old. I like it.

--------------
Always expect the worst and you will never be dissapointed

3. Re: First! Oct 26, 2004, 17:19 Mystical PotatoHead Groove Thang

Yes, you ARE a fucking idiot, sidepocket. Now go wave your idiot flag on a site that would actually care.

2. More Mirrors Oct 26, 2004, 17:19 bobyx

There are more working and fast mirrors available here:
http://www.nfsunlimited.net/underground2/demo/

(first 4 are pretty fast)

1. First! Oct 26, 2004, 16:46 sidepocket

First!

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer