Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 AU Woes?

SumeaLaunchpad (thanks Voodoo Extreme) reports that the rating Half-Life 2 has received from The Pan European Games Information system results in the possibility that there is no rating that will allow the game to be sold in Australia. No decision has been made on the game's fate down under, but here's the cause for concern citied in the article:

The Pan European Games Information (PEGI) age rating system has given Half Life 2 an R(18+) rating. This means that minors are unable to purchase the game in numerous countries like Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Italy, Norway, Spain, Sweden, and the UK. What's really interesting about this is how the game fares in Australia. The Australian Office of Film & Literature Classification (OFLC) has yet to classify Half Life 2, but if the board follows suit from their European counterparts, it'll mean that one of this years highly anticipated titles is banned outright from sales here. Currently, Australia has no R rating for games, so game titles need to meet the highest rating available (MA 15+) or they will be refused classification.

View
111 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

11. Re: No subject Oct 26, 2004, 10:27 aldo_14

Well, I guess there's still a long way to go before this medium is taken seriously, at least in the UK. Why are there still different rating systems? UT2004 has a 16+ under PEGI, but Doom3 has an 18 from the BBFC. If a retailer sells a game to someone that is underage on the PEGI scheme, is that illegal? Or is it just a guideline like the old ELSPA system. Why have a pan-European system? There isn't one for movies. Just let the BBFC certify the games here and then we have a scheme that is already widely used and recognised, even if it is more suited for films - IMO, they do a good job.

Fair point

NB: changingman = Paul Weller reference?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. No subject Oct 26, 2004, 10:25 Razerious

I'm glad we haven't stooped to that level yet here in Norway (although some members of the christian party are trying). At least we're still able to choose for ourselves what we want to buy or not. The AU government is basically denying adults to make their own decisions. Pathetic and sad, in my opinion.

9. No subject Oct 26, 2004, 10:22 changingman

Well, I guess there's still a long way to go before this medium is taken seriously, at least in the UK. Why are there still different rating systems? UT2004 has a 16+ under PEGI, but Doom3 has an 18 from the BBFC. If a retailer sells a game to someone that is underage on the PEGI scheme, is that illegal? Or is it just a guideline like the old ELSPA system. Why have a pan-European system? There isn't one for movies. Just let the BBFC certify the games here and then we have a scheme that is already widely used and recognised, even if it is more suited for films - IMO, they do a good job.

8. No subject Oct 26, 2004, 10:18 aldo_14

Strikes me as bizarre that the Ozzies can have (presumably) an 18 rating for movies and yet not for games...... of course, people in Oz can alternatively buy games from New Zealand in an uncut version IIRC.....

NB: San Andreas was supposedly being cut for australian release... I'm not 100% sure. The German cuts were (for SA) apparently; no special headshot animation, no reward for killing people (no money left on the ground), and no longer able to kick dead bodies, etc.

IIRC the Oz version of GTA:VC had stuff like killing hookers after sex (er, in the game) cut.

I'm not sure if / how much Doom3 was cut.... albeit Doom3 does have the luxury of being in a 'fantasy' setting fighting zombies/demons/etc, so the violence within might be seen in a lesser light.

7. Re: ? Oct 26, 2004, 10:14 Bearkyn

meh, seriously forget about this one guys.

There is no chance in hell they wont release hl2.

Besides, just like I said with LSLarry, the game is already buy-able from quite a few shops (despite it's lack of ratings/"ban") in Syd and Canberra.

I don't even think we need to bother with mentioning Steam right?

Now hopefully this and GTA SA will finally make the ratings peeps sit up and smell the 21st century

6. Re: ? Oct 26, 2004, 10:12 MMORPGHoD

Geez, no HL2 boxes? How can gamers survive over there? Hopefully steam won't be blocked for some wacky bureaucratic reason.

5. Re: Oct 26, 2004, 10:12 Rseman

We got DooM3.... and I already got the gold pack via steam:P This better not delay that unlocking!

4. Re: Oct 26, 2004, 10:09 MyRealName

It's odd that this can happen. Don't countries like this (I believe it's more than Australia, right? Germany has some pretty messed up censorship issues) give any credit to *adults* to be able to choose what they want? I guess the United States isn't the only censorship-fucked up country, huh? I don't have tits on public TV, but I can buy a game without green blood and robots. Governments need to stop trying to control minds.

3. ? Oct 26, 2004, 10:07 Xenopulse

I can't imagine how HL2 could be any more "mature" than Doom III.

2. No subject Oct 26, 2004, 10:01 the_culture

There are two ways to look at this:

1) "Who cares?! At least I'm getting it!"
or
2) A lot more people in those countries will be getting HL2 via Steam now.

I'm all for a ratings system, but c'mon, Australia has no R rating for games? Does this mean they aren't getting GTA: SA either? And did the same thing happen with Doom 3?

Alex
-----------
Spatial Fear
Director/Creative Designer
http://www.planetunreal.com/le/sf/

1. This is cruel... Oct 26, 2004, 09:59 Q

denying the Aussies HL2. Simply cruel...

111 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo