Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We ended up rescheduling those massages from yesterday... MrsBlue and I found a compromise over the idea that we'd find a weeknight to meet at the spa after her work, when we can take the train home together, and avoid stressing me out with the drive home (she quite justifiably wants to avoid the train ride on the weekend, since she has to endure it every weekday).

More and more television shows are appearing on DVD, and while some of them seem appealing, I am almost inevitably struck by the realization of how unlikely it is that one will sit down and watch several seasons of 20-something episodes of some show. We couldn't resist, however, when we saw the Arrested Development DVD collection, and last night watched the first six episodes... Man, is that show funny. I cannot wait for the second season to begin in a couple of weeks (thank goodness this isn't another HBO series, or we'd be looking at a year from next week).

Play Time: Road Blocks.
Stories of the Day: Crocodile Husbandry Is Really Hard, China Finds (registration required).
Take the A Train (or the F, the Q, the 1, the 7 ... ).
Ewww-Berry Muffin. Thanks Devicer.
Science!: Humans 'will live to age of 150'. (thanks Ant). A solution to the people shortage.
Tiny Ideas Coming of Age (registration required).
Media of the Day: Blue Man Intel Commercial Behind-the-Scenes. Thanks Ant.
Follow-ups: Is That a Pilot in Your Pocket?
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: Nilli Vanilli Oct 25, 2004, 17:12 Armengar

when I went to NY last Christmas I found the subway to be very reliable and providing you werent an idiot then pretty safe too.

Certain stops are ingrained into my head too (I became very familiar with switching at columbus and times square). didnt even need the tourist map after a day either

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Nilli Vanilli Oct 25, 2004, 05:04 Hump

I was watching the World Series last night. Then tuned in SNL just in time to see WeekendUpdate (the only thing that keeps SNL going IMO). Went to bed after that. I would have stayed up if I knew this would have been on live television

ugh, I actually remember when SNL was a showcase for what was considered hip music. Can you picture them putting on the equivilent of Tom Waits nowadays? Whatta bunch of tools...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
What Would Fred Do?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

44. Re: Road blocks [SPOILER] Oct 25, 2004, 04:54 Tango

the last few of those are so much easier than 16/17.

43. Thanks Blue Oct 24, 2004, 22:43 MajorGeeks

So I headed out to Target, which is close by, no Arrested development. Nothing at the nearby Walmart either. Ok, drove another 20 minutes to Media Play. Out. Ok, to the "big mall" another 10 minutes away and got it at Best Buy. Sweet! Get home, pop it in my PS\2 because I was always to lazy to buy another DVD player and the DVD's wont load. You guessed it. Back to Target to buy a DVD player. 100 dollars later, not counting gas gas and time, and I have been watching the DVD for about 4 hours now. Im still watching it. It was all worth it

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 22:45.

http://www.majorgeeks.com

42. Re: Nilli Vanilli Oct 24, 2004, 22:42 Jim

I was watching the World Series last night. Then tuned in SNL just in time to see WeekendUpdate (the only thing that keeps SNL going IMO). Went to bed after that. I would have stayed up if I knew this would have been on live television.

And yeah, what on earth was that hopping she was doing? Was that supposed to distract the audience from the fact that there was a humiliating, career-ending (never heard of her, did she actually have a career before?) incident taking place?

Too funny. Defaintely one of the best laughs SNL has produced in quite a while.

"Entrance to Trains" should have said "Train Wreck"

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 22:43.

Jim

41. Can somebody PLEASE Oct 24, 2004, 22:40 Creston

tell Tony laRussa that if a pitcher gives up three consecutive basehits, it's really NOT a good idea to have him pitch to a fourth batter? Because that concept apparently seems to escape him.

Ofcourse, why he's considered to be such a good manager when he had the best team in baseball in the late '80s and lost two world series to decidedly inferior squads is beyond me anyways.

Also, I'm looking into buying a monkey to pitch for St Louis in game 3, estimated price : About 50 dollars. Anybody want to chip in? This bunch of gulf coast league rejects doesn't even deserve the name pitching staff.

8 errors by Boston so far in 2 games, and they're winning both. Only in baseball.

Unless St Louis dramatically starts playing better in game 3, this series is over.

Creston

40. Re: Nilli Vanilli Oct 24, 2004, 21:37 nin

The problem isnt that SNL no longer allows bands to actually perform live. The problem is that for the past 2 or 3 seasons, all they have been booking for musical acts are crappy, flavor of the week pop 'sensations', such as Britney, Christina, etc. When they have an actual 'band' on that is actually capable of performing, and their singer can actually sing, and doesnt rely on lipsynch, then that band actually performs.

That's exactly why I import so much music. Overseas, they actually have to have talent, and not a tape track...

Ash, Placebo, Muse, Orbital, Coldplay, Underworld, Depeche Mode, Bowie, Hybrid, Gus Gus, P.J Harvey, New Order, Travis...I'll throw in The Cure, but the latest album sucks (so they eek in with a lifetime achiever vote).

http://www.placeboworld.co.uk

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

39. UGO pop-up add Oct 24, 2004, 20:45 Bearkyn

My first complaint about a noisy pop-up ad.

Each time I opened up Bluesnews or closed the browser, a full page pop-up advertising something for UGO (like I am going to pay attention) comes up. Foolishly had sound on here at work...

location is Australia in case it is a regional ad

38. Re: Milli Vanilli Oct 24, 2004, 20:44 Michael Bolton's hair dresser

The Ashlee Simpson jig

LOL what was up with that goofy dance anyway?

Dr. Michael Bolton's Hairdreser PhD, MD, LLP, DDS

37. Just gotta say Oct 24, 2004, 18:58 eunichron

I saw Team America World Police with some buddies last night. I thought it was hilarous. If you're into Trey Parker + Matt Stone (South Park specifically) humor, it's definately worth seeing.

36. Re: Milli Vanilli Oct 24, 2004, 18:35 Silent Bob

The Ashlee Simpson jig:

http://ashlee-simpson.ytmnd.com/

35. No subject Oct 24, 2004, 18:34 hordak

Most bands play to tapes on SNL, so why's this a big deal?

34. Road blocks [SPOILER] Oct 24, 2004, 18:17 m00t

Secret spoiler text for all the levels. Some may have multiple solutions.

1 R U R
2 Any Direction
3 R U L U
4 L U R D R U L
5 D
6 L
7 R D R U L D R U
8 U R D L D R U R D L or R D L U R D R U R D L
9 R L U
10 D L U R D L
11 L D R U
12 R U L D
13 D R D L D
14 U R U L D R D L U R D L U L U R D R U L U R D R U
15 R U R D L D R U
16 L D L U R D R U L U
17 R U L D L U R D R U L D R D L
18 R U L D L R U L D L D R U
19 D L U L D R U L D R
20 R U L D R U L D R U
21 U L D L D L
22 R L D L U

33. Re: Milli Vanilli Oct 24, 2004, 18:14 Koblizek

I can't believe she tried to "blame" her band for the mishap. Well, she got rightfully exposed. The little hack! Thanks for the link Ant.

32. Re: Milli Vanilli Oct 24, 2004, 17:47 Ant

That's crazy! More information in SNL newsgroup: http://groups.google.com/groups?group=alt.tv.snl ... Thanks for sharing.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

31. Re: Nilli Vanilli Oct 24, 2004, 17:26 toT

The problem isnt that SNL no longer allows bands to actually perform live. The problem is that for the past 2 or 3 seasons, all they have been booking for musical acts are crappy, flavor of the week pop 'sensations', such as Britney, Christina, etc. When they have an actual 'band' on that is actually capable of performing, and their singer can actually sing, and doesnt rely on lipsynch, then that band actually performs.

Blame the quality of the bookings for musical guests for the problem. For some reason over the past few years, they have decided that the musical guests should appeal only to 10 year old girls/boys.

Ok, thats the end of my rant on SNL musical guests.

30. Re: football Oct 24, 2004, 17:17 Bronco

Hell of a game! Go Browns (sorry Bronco )

No apology necessary...

It was a good game that was marred by really bad referees.

And now the Jets look like they are going to give it to the Pats. Good games today.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.com
teh m4y0r ownz a GabeN b4ckp4k

-TPFKAS2S

29. Nilli Vanilli Oct 24, 2004, 17:16 Taulin

I don't think music on SNL has been live for a while. Probably due to people like Queen, who when they sang "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" just kept on jamming like they do in concert, and went way over time, and thus never got invited back.

28. Re: Road Blocks (Play Time Link) Oct 24, 2004, 16:42 Warhawk

If you're stuck on level 17, try R,U,L,D,L,U,R,D,R,U,L,D,R,D,L

This is the only one that I needed help with - got the rest OK.

* Warhawk *

How can we both be in the marriage and I'm miserable and you're content?

Luck?

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

27. Re: football Oct 24, 2004, 16:26 WarPig

either way, i hope it's a good game...

Hell of a game! Go Browns (sorry Bronco ;))

-------------------------------------------------------
What the hell, it's 5:00 somewhere.

GO SEAHAWKS!

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo