Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Brian Fargo Oct 23, 2004, 19:06 Bill Borre

It's nice to know he still has a sense of humor after all the years he's been in the business. He basically started at a time when anybody with an idea could get a game on the shelf going through to the dismal state of the industry today where the only thing that gets funded are sequels.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Adware companie and developers Oct 23, 2004, 16:20 DG

exactly

remembered the phrase i was looking for - ads in games should either add value or at least not reduce value of the game for the player. 'value' being marketing-speak for basically how good they think the game is. It's not exactly hard to be pessimistic though, given history of things like 'ads' in films (007 driving a BMW? the italian-american job? TVshows being an hour on SkyTV yet only 45mins on ITV/Channel4 - 30/35 if on ad-free BBC? copy protection?)

It can be a win-win-win situation if the publishers handle it right, or a lose-lose-lose if not.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 16:27.

2. Adware companie and developers Oct 23, 2004, 15:59 WebDemon

Great, and with adware companies making forays into the heart of gaming, we can probably expect a wonderful cornucopia of assorted shit on our computers in the future.

Tell me more people wouldn't start downloading the "adware free" versions from the dark side.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 15:59.

1. Ads insinuated into video games Oct 23, 2004, 13:17 DG

I welcome ads in games, provided its mroe revenue for developers without being annoying for players. Ads for red bull in Wipeout3 worked well, they were unobtrusive billboards that added to the game slightly (since they were appropriate).

I welcome some product placement too, real cars used in racing games for example is a benefit IMO. The amount of ad potential in games like GTA might lead to a real cut in the price or more resources for developing the game. Not to mention more money from games generally means more games.

Going with metrics aswell isnt to welcome though, for the usual spyware/adware reasons. Plus, for online games I imagine server hosts providing free servers might be a bit upset to be carrying other companies' ads without their consent or without them getting a cut - although there's the flipside that if they do get control it means a direct revenue stream from providing free publics, instead of putting them out there and hoping they attract rentals.

Could be a very good thing imo, but the publisher/developer need to remember their focus is on the consumer, and not allow games to be bastardised for advertising revenue.

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo