Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Wow. Half-Life 2 gold... who knew?

Thanks for all who have provided feedback on the wayward Sony pop-up ad (though, of course, none of this feedback was positive)... I will be sending the pop-up police after this post-haste.

Links of the Day: Encyclopedia Mythica. Thanks David.
Cluckin' Bell. Thanks Advocate.
Stories of the Day: Firefighters revive dog with mouth-to-snout CPR. Thanks Miquel.
Jolie named Esquire's sexiest woman. Thanks snafu. No Jennifer Connelly?
Chinese co registers 'Happy Birthday' as its trademark.
Science!: Official: Coke takes over parts of the brain that Pepsi can't reach.
Gravity constant called into question. Grab something anchored.
Beer gadget boost to water plants.
Images of the Day: Emoticons Invade Mars.
Worth1000 - War & Peace #7. Thanks Ant.
Media of the Day: Playstation Mag Ad. Thanks Fantaz.
The Strangerhood. Vol. 1. Thanks TheJaxx.
Auction of the Day: Promise Ultra100 Card of Death.
Wonder of Nature Carrot. Thanks Dorothy.
Follow-ups: William Shatner sings again. Thanks Bunko.
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

96. Re: Coke takes over parts of the brain Oct 21, 2004, 09:01 nin

Waaaaaaaaaaaaait a minute... why were you bashing steam if you'd never tried it? Just didn't like the concept of downloading retail games? Broadband envy?

1. I still think it favors broadband users and kinda leaves everyone else hangin in the wind.

2. When I buy a game, I'd like to have the box and manual.

3. Going back to #1, forcing everyone through one central location for patches seems a bit lame. It's all fun and games until they get DDOS'd or when EVERYONE wants to patch their game at once...

Having said that, my experiences so far have been mostly positive. I really like the fact that Steam allows me to easily back up and restore the full folder, with a dvd burner. As a modem user, this makes reloading a hell of a lot simpler (reload OS, install Steam, throw cache directory into Steam directory, update and I'm done).

Things I'd like to see improved in Steam:

1. Being able to move icons/games up and down in the list.

2. Being able to separate SP and MP games in the list. If you use Steam all the time, you know the games and what they do, but if you're new to it, you're not sure what supports SP and what doesn't.

3. An easier way to toggle between offline and online modes (besides closing and reopening Steam).

4. A way to prioritize downloads, similar to getright. So if I have 5 games to download or update, I can set the update order.

5. Making Steam actually STOP downloading when I close the damn thing. I've closed it a few times and had Steam run for another 2-3 minutes, and continuing to download (it still runs in the process list, and the modem is still pulling down traffic).

www.muse.mu

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

95. Re: Coke takes over parts of the brain Oct 21, 2004, 01:50 indiv

I earned it, I know. I bashed your little download system, over and over. And then in a fit of (Space) Madness, I gave it a shot and low and behold, like Tyrone Biggins on crack cocaine, I LIKED IT

Waaaaaaaaaaaaait a minute... why were you bashing steam if you'd never tried it? Just didn't like the concept of downloading retail games? Broadband envy?

94. Blue I must protest... Oct 20, 2004, 23:33 Slingblade

The shameless and quite obvious hook baiting going on here... Its up to 93?

Sling

93. Re: Coke takes over parts of the brain Oct 20, 2004, 10:44 Mr. Tact

OR, is it some sort of hypnotic, subliminal message that's included with Steam, that flashes up on the screen every 200th frame that says "See? Isn't pre-loading fun? Who's Gabe's bitch NOW? YOU are, puny human!"

I'd go with this one, it seems to be the most likely.

The truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

92. Re: Coke takes over parts of the brain Oct 20, 2004, 07:57 nin

The only thing that could possibly surprise me more than this statement is hearing you say you're now a fan of John Ashcroft.

I'm trying to figure out how to respond to this one w/o causing the Secret Service to show up at my house for an "interview".

Don't laugh, you were just as vehemently opposed to Steam just a few weeks ago...

Oh, I know...was it the way I put in one old cd key and unlocked most of the content available on Steam? Was it the fact that I set it up on the hotel dsl and then went to bed, and the following morning had (at the time) 100% of HL2 pre-loaded on the machine? Was it the ease of transferring the Steam cache files from one machine to another? Or was it that Steam was smart enough to see I had installed HL and it's cousins, and migrated all the local files to Steam cache, instead of making me download it ALL over again?

OR, is it some sort of hypnotic, subliminal message that's included with Steam, that flashes up on the screen every 200th frame that says "See? Isn't pre-loading fun? Who's Gabe's bitch NOW? YOU are, puny human!"

I cannot say...

www.muse.mu

91. Re: Coke takes over parts of the brain Oct 20, 2004, 06:59 Bronco

You see, the Sox (Happy now Losers?) never lose in a clean, quick way. They ALWAYS go to seven games. That way it hurts the most. In fact, they have NEVER failed to go to seven...and lose in a horrible way.

I'm trying to decide if the Sox winning will begin a change of fortune for all down trodden teams or if it will use up all the luck at once.

If it's the beginning of a trend then I'm all for them winning. I could even point to a former Philly player and manager as the catalyst for the beginning of the winning of championships.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.com

I've listened to Michael Jackson's Three-Dimensional Cow, have you?

-TPFKAS2S

90. Re: Coke takes over parts of the brain Oct 20, 2004, 06:55 Bronco

I earned it, I know. I bashed your little download system, over and over. And then in a fit of (Space) Madness, I gave it a shot and low and behold, like Tyrone Biggins on crack cocaine, I LIKED IT

There.

I said it!

I LIKE STEAM!!!

The only thing that could possibly surprise me more than this statement is hearing you say you're now a fan of John Ashcroft.

Don't laugh, you were just as vehemently opposed to Steam just a few weeks ago...

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.com

I've listened to Michael Jackson's Three-Dimensional Cow, have you?

-TPFKAS2S

89. Re: Coke takes over parts of the brain Oct 20, 2004, 01:12 Sixis

"The worst part is, CS:S was already previously playable, so why would it be doing something again? Maybe it really did “unlock” (decrypt) the files(sound, textures, maps and such) , just no system or program files yet"

Rumor has it (I don't know how to do this, nor do I want to try and fuck up my files) that if you unpack the art resources for CS:S you will find that there is more content than is currently accessible. If such exists, it could be "unlocked" by Steam, and it certainly would belie Valve's contention that CS:S was released "done".

Wow, I just got the same "Unlocking" message when I logged on Steam, so it seems likely everyone will see it. It has gone on to download another 3% of HL2 and 5% of DoD:S. I have no clue what is actually happening (Bug fixes? What the hell is going on with DoD:S that they are pre-loading it anyway?)

I'm so confused....but my baseball knowledge now gives me an accurate picture of why the Yanks keep losing. It IS part of the Curse. You see, the Sox (Happy now Losers?) never lose in a clean, quick way. They ALWAYS go to seven games. That way it hurts the most. In fact, they have NEVER failed to go to seven...and lose in a horrible way.

88. No subject Oct 20, 2004, 00:58 Acleacius

"Gamespy, EB Games, etc. all say Nov. 8th"

It cant possibly be true thou, cause HL2 must ship first (shipping Nov 16th) and Bloodlines after so Bloodlines will ship Nov 17th or after, acutally I have seen Nov 26th as ship date for Bloodlines.

Yeah Halloween would have been Wickedness

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 07:19.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

87. Re: BOWIE! Oct 20, 2004, 00:42 Bucky

*reads the posts of 'Darth' nin*

What he said!

PS-RED SOX!

Edit: Hey, don't I get a punch in the arm, noogie, or something similar?

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 00:44.

86. Re: Possible Bloodlines Release date!!! Oct 20, 2004, 00:13 Halsy

Gamespy, EB Games, etc. all say Nov. 8th. I really wish they could have got it out for Halloween, but I'm still stoked regardless. I am so looking forward to meeting that vampire chick with the cowboy hat and thong.

"I never saw a dame yet that didn't understand a good slap in the mouth or a slug from a .45."
- Bogart, Play it Again Sam

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

85. Re: BOWIE! Oct 20, 2004, 00:10 nin

Gabe.

You have a very cruel sense of humor, my friend...

I'm going to go cry myself to sleep now. I'll try to remember to mention you in my prayers, but I'm so upset right now I can't promise anything.

Goodnight, all...

www.muse.mu

84. Re: BOWIE! Oct 19, 2004, 23:56 Halsy

Cheers for the Thin White Duke!

Up untill the end of WWI coke and morphine were present in tons of stuff. Ever hear the old Hoyt Axton tune Cocaine Blues (Townes Van Zandt does a great version of it)? It's about all the WWI vets who came back from the war and were given cocaine to deal with their pain, mental anguish, etc.. It turned a lot of people into junkies which is what precipitated the movement to outlaw cocaine.

Cocaine, cocaine,
'Round my heart and runnin' 'round my brain,
Coaine, aw, you ol' cocaine.

Come here, Mama, come here quick;
That ol' coke's got me and I'm feelin' sick.
Cocaine, aw you ol' cocaine.

I woke up this mornin', Lord, I had a hunger pain.
And all I want for breakfast is my good cocaine,

Jump out of bed, Mama, run downtown;
Take along the money and look all around.
Find the man, the man that sells cocaine.

Come here, Mama, come here quick;
That ol' coke's got me and I'm feelin' sick.

Get out of here, Mama, I thought you understood;
You got no connections then you're no damn good.
Cocaine.

Well, coke's for horses, Lord, it ain't for men.
They say it kills you, but they don't say when.

C'mon, Mama, let's rent us a boat.
We'll sail down that Gibraltar moat;
Shed a tear every time we pass Tangiers.

Cocaine, cocaine,
'Round my heart and runnin' 'round my brain,
Cocaine, aw, you ol' cocaine.

"I never saw a dame yet that didn't understand a good slap in the mouth or a slug from a .45."
- Bogart, Play it Again Sam

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

83. Re: Coke takes over parts of the brain Oct 19, 2004, 23:51 nin

Alright GABE!

It's all those nasty things I used to say about Steam, isn't it?

Go on, admit it.

You're laughing you ass off at me right now, aren't you?!

There.

I said it!

I LIKE STEAM!!!

Now can I have the game?

Please?

www.muse.mu

82. Re: Coke takes over parts of the brain Oct 19, 2004, 23:42 nin

Maybe it really did &#8220;unlock&#8221; (decrypt) the files(sound, textures, maps and such) , just no system or program files yet

After your last post, I was thinking that, too...I'm looking at that folder now...

Sorry, Blue! You know that old saying about "If it looks like a duck and quakes quacks like a duck?" Well, I thought for sure I had a duck coming through the phone line...

www.muse.mu

81. Re: Coke takes over parts of the brain Oct 19, 2004, 23:35 Enahs

REALLY?

FUCK!

Now I got this puddle of piss to clean up...

Sorry, but I speak the truth. It is a BIG tease.

Though, to confess my geekness, my brother was over here yesterday when it did it the first time, and for a few seconds we where more “giddy” than 9 year old school girls!

The worst part is, CS:S was already previously playable, so why would it be doing something again? Maybe it really did “unlock” (decrypt) the files(sound, textures, maps and such) , just no system or program files yet

_____
Enahs
That’s a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know the French they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

80. Possible Bloodlines Release date!!! Oct 19, 2004, 23:33 Acleacius

http://www.afjv.com/press0410/041018_activision_planning_sorties.htm

November 26th, YAY

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

79. Re: Coke takes over parts of the brain Oct 19, 2004, 23:32 nin

It did this to me yesterday, and again today. I do not know what it is doing, but I freaked out the first time too!

But no, you can not play it yet

AWWWWWWWWW! To quote Billy Bob Thorton in Bad Santa:

ARE YOU FUCKIN' WITH ME?!?!?!

REALLY?

FUCK!

Now I got this puddle of piss to clean up...

www.muse.mu

78. Re: Coke takes over parts of the brain Oct 19, 2004, 23:29 nin

nin, erm, DARTH nin,

i hope you're gonna update us on this...

Just emailed Blue and Bronco with a screenshot...

I'm now at 99.6% preloaded!

I feel a MASSIVE FLU coming on before work tomorrow!!!!

About to pee my pants here!

www.muse.mu

77. Re: Coke takes over parts of the brain Oct 19, 2004, 23:26 Enahs

Please wait while Steam unlocks game files.

Unlocking Half-Life 2 game files.

UM...WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Are we "ON" NOW?!?!?!?

It did this to me yesterday, and again today. I do not know what it is doing, but I freaked out the first time too!

But no, you can not play it yet
I am not sure, but I think it might have something to do with temporary locking on CS:S and such, as after it said unlocking HL2 for me, it said something about CS:S as well.

_____
Enahs
That’s a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know the French they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo