Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New UT Game Rumor

PlanetUnreal (thanks Gamer's Hell) points the way to the cached.net forums in which Angel Munoz offers the reasoning for not selecting Unreal Tournament 2004 as the game of choice for the CPL world tour, revealing that Epic is at work on a new installment in the multiplayer shooter series (as opposed to, say, another Jazz Jackrabbit game). Here's the deal:

People wondering why we did not pick UT 2004. First realize that Epic is a huge supporter of CPL. The CEO Mark Rein is a friend of mine and Cliffy B is on our advisory board.
A wide range of aspects were taken into consideration, including publisher/developer support for the entire tour. Unfortunately, Epic is transitioning to a new publisher and it was not expected that their current publisher would help us in marketing the game/tour through the end 2005. Additionally, there is a new UT in the works, but it was not going to be available in the time frame we needed.

Mark and I are still in conversations about the 2006 World Tour.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: .. Oct 17, 2004, 20:06 Warhawk

If they're planning another UT title for next year, that's one a year for three years. IMO, that's way too many.

Agreed.

The new versions should be often enough to take advantage of newer HW and graphics, but not so often as to divide the community, as you stated.

Again, maybe every 2-3 years would probably be optimal. Every 1-2 years, too quick.

* Warhawk *

I may be synthetic, but I'm not stupid.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: .. Oct 17, 2004, 19:20 trog

If you don't think that what the UT and UT2k4 recieves isn't the best support available, I don't know what to tell you. Patches, map packs, creation contests, etc. - it doesn't get any better.

Actually that's a good point and I didn't phrase that very well. They should be applauded because they do already support the crap out of it (as you've pointed out) with patches/bonus packs etc. The mod competition is also a great idea.

But all these would have been more effective if they'd had just ONE title to do it to, instead of UT, UT2003, UT2004 and (if you'll count it) UT2XMP, with a number of people playing each one.

Depends on how often you update the title. every 2-3 years isn't too often, IMO.

If they're planning another UT title for next year, that's one a year for three years. IMO, that's way too many.

36. Re: No subject Oct 17, 2004, 13:55 MindTrigger

I have to admit, I never liked any of the UT games until 2004. It's damn fun. Very refined.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

35. Re: .. Oct 17, 2004, 13:52 Erratic

UT2K4 was the best game I've played since the original unreal tournament.

You've got to play more game then. UT2004 is far from being the best game since the original and it didn't exactly evolve the genre either.
Deus Ex, Halo and Operation Flashpoint did a lot more for shooters than 2K4 ever did. And regarding multiplayer, I'd say BF1942 is the best to date.
But hey, whatever you see in 2K4 is fine, I guess I just can't pick it out...

----------------------
- Erratic

This comment was edited on Oct 17, 13:53.

34. No subject Oct 17, 2004, 13:29 space captain

damn thats brilliant - maybe you can get Barney to make it into a song for you

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

33. Re: .. Oct 17, 2004, 12:47 Pent

UT2K4 was the best game I've played since the original unreal tournament.
I LIKE the flashy weapons, I HATE WWII shooters with their boring weapons(and the like)
I LIKE the vehicles, I LIKE the maps, I LIKE the teamplay, I LIKE the fact that unreal 2 xmp is being ported to UT2K4 (badass)
Shooters have evolved by ALOT in the past years, if you don't like it don't even bother whinging about it, we don't care, go play sims 2.

32. Re: .. Oct 17, 2004, 12:38 Warhawk

The thing about UT2k4 is they got everything right. There's tons of gametypes. Over 100 maps out of the box. Very good graphics, runs beautifully, and the best damn bots you will ever see. I haven't found a single bug plus they continue to patch and add new goodies almost a year later. What other games have all that? And I'm not counting mods.

Exactly

Just seems like they tried to pack as much content in as possible...More of like one big Bonus Pack than a full game.

It's actually both - the game was tweaked from 2k3 and tons of additional content and game types were added.

Well if they make another UT, they need to make Onslaught entertaining for infantry.

That's not what this game mode is about. Play one of the WWII MP games for that.

yeh man, the UT24k guns are lame as shit - T:V is much better in the weapons dept... it draws on the sort of 'rocket arena' type style more than anything, but in general each weapon in Tribes is a good deal different than the others yet still very basic at heart... to me the UT24k weapons are all flashy but none are really that satisfying

I think this is probably going to vary from person to person. Some like the feel and design, some don't. Personally, I can't stand the WWII games because the weapons are all boring. But that's just me.

instead of churning out one Unreal Tournament title per year, they'd make ONE GOOD ONE and support the absolute crap out of it.

If you don't think that what the UT and UT2k4 recieves isn't the best support available, I don't know what to tell you. Patches, map packs, creation contests, etc. - it doesn't get any better.

Of course, when they do this it fragments the community and you end up with less people playing the one title.

Depends on how often you update the title. every 2-3 years isn't too often, IMO.

* Warhawk *

These people are here to protect you. They are soldiers.

It won't make any difference..

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

31. Re: Oct 17, 2004, 10:47 MyRealName

Longest news coverage evar.

30. Re: No subject Oct 17, 2004, 09:59 Warhawk

I don't like ONS or AS so it isn't the new games.

Actually, all I play on UT2k4 is ONS, along with some Instagib CTF once in a while.

The weapon balance is 'fixed', the hud's improved, that annoying announcer is gone, the bad scaling is fixed etc. A bunch of small things that when put together make a nice difference.

I think that is why I didn't buy UT2k3 and love UT2k4, along with the added game types, of course. The game just "feels" better.

* Warhawk *

These people are here to protect you. They are soldiers.

It won't make any difference..

29. Dear Epic Oct 17, 2004, 08:23 trog

First realize that Epic is a huge supporter of CPL.

If Epic were a huge supported of CPL (and by extension, 'professional gaming'), then one would like to think that instead of churning out one Unreal Tournament title per year, they'd make ONE GOOD ONE and support the absolute crap out of it. The games that last in the pro gaming scene aren't the games that come from some company that happens to be a 'huge supporter' - they're the games that PEOPLE KEEP PLAYING three years after they're released.

The whole focus of Epic releasing UT after UT after UT is to try and sell more copies, and the easiest way to do that is to try and convince their existing fanbase to 'upgrade' to the new title. Of course, when they do this it fragments the community and you end up with less people playing the one title.

28. No subject Oct 17, 2004, 07:52 space captain

yeh man, the UT24k guns are lame as shit - T:V is much better in the weapons dept... it draws on the sort of 'rocket arena' type style more than anything, but in general each weapon in Tribes is a good deal different than the others yet still very basic at heart... to me the UT24k weapons are all flashy but none are really that satisfying

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

27. Re: Hmmm... Oct 17, 2004, 03:51 Belmont

Ok, when did the Tribes series begin, and when did the Unreal Tournament series begin. Hmmmm

If you actually read his post you should have been able to tell that he was being sarcastic. Edit: Hell if you even read just all of that one line you should have been able to tell.

This comment was edited on Oct 17, 03:53.

"Choice and Consequence." Gareth 'Section8' Davies on the key ingredients of an RPG.

26. Re: Hmmm... Oct 17, 2004, 02:13 Ray Singh

and TV is a UT clone

Ok, when did the Tribes series begin, and when did the Unreal Tournament series begin. Hmmmm

25. Re: Hmmm... Oct 17, 2004, 01:35 Charlie_Six

Sequel after sequel after sequel........... gaming is dead. Nothing innovative seems to be coming down the road. At least BF42 + clones, and UT2004's Onslaught offered something relatively unique. I guess that's how it goes. Create something unique, and then expect 2-3 years worth of games that are just trying to clone that uniqueness, one-upping each other with slightly new features and graphics. Blegh!

Well if they make another UT, they need to make Onslaught entertaining for infantry. The open terrain makes infantry combat incredibly repetitious and a bit too direct. U2XMP was awful by the way, I think it has like 10 people playing it right now. Heh

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

24. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2004, 23:46 ExcessDan

I just wish the guns in UT2k4 did a lot more damage. I guess I'm used to playing Battlefield where a few hits would kill a guy.

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan:
The mayor of your hearts <3<3<3<3<3

ExcessDan

23. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2004, 23:22 Erratic

"I don't get why so many people that hated UT2K3 are nuts over 2K4."

Yeah, I don't understand that either. I was one of the few that thought UT2003 was great but wasn't thrilled by 2K4. Just seems like they tried to pack as much content in as possible...More of like one big Bonus Pack than a full game.

----------------------
- Erratic

22. .. Oct 16, 2004, 19:49 Mad Max RW

The thing about UT2k4 is they got everything right. There's tons of gametypes. Over 100 maps out of the box. Very good graphics, runs beautifully, and the best damn bots you will ever see. I haven't found a single bug plus they continue to patch and add new goodies almost a year later. What other games have all that? And I'm not counting mods.

As for U2XMP, I enjoyed it until the UT2k4 demo was released. XMP had little support, was buggy as hell, the vehicle control sucked, and nobody played it to begin with. Hopefully FreeMonkey gets their act together and releases the damn port before it's completely forgotten.
This comment was edited on Oct 16, 19:52.

21. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2004, 18:06 Jarek Forhanon

....and TV is a UT clone

That comparison = weak.

20. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2004, 14:53 L0cky

I dunno. I don't like ONS or AS so it isn't the new games. The weapon balance is 'fixed', the hud's improved, that annoying announcer is gone, the bad scaling is fixed etc. A bunch of small things that when put together make a nice difference.

There's still a few things they could improve though, such as the player lighting and the sound.

19. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2004, 14:41 Beamer

I don't get why so many people that hated UT2K3 are nuts over 2K4.

It felt exactly the same, only with spiffier graphics and a couple of cookie-cutter vehicles.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo