Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Kong Approaches

Ubisoft announces plans for a King Kong game "on all platforms" (Commodore 64 owners rejoice), set for release next holiday season along with the Peter Jackson monster movie remake upon which it will be based:

SAN FRANCISCO – October 12, 2004 – Ubisoft, one of the world’s largest interactive video game publishers, and Universal Studios Consumer Products Group today announced plans to release an interactive game based on Universal Pictures’ upcoming motion picture adventure, King Kong. The game will be available worldwide on all platforms at the beginning of the holiday season in conjunction with the December 14, 2005 theatrical release of the movie.

Triple Academy Award® winner Peter Jackson (The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King) brings his sweeping cinematic vision to the iconic story of the gigantic ape-monster captured in the wild and brought to civilization where he meets his tragic fate. Jackson assumes directing, producing and co-screenwriting duties and surrounds himself with a list of superlative filmmaking and acting talents.

Working very closely with Peter Jackson and Wingnut Films, Ubisoft’s prized Beyond Good & Evil development team and award-winning Montreal studio - some of the interactive game industry’s most creative designers - are creating a game in their Montpellier studio in the South of France that will reflect the visual interpretation, character dynamics and dramatic narrative of Jackson's epic film.

Serge Hascoet, Executive Director, Worldwide Content Strategy for Ubisoft stated: “Through this creative association, Ubisoft shows its growing dedication to bringing intense emotions inspired by the movie industry to interactive games. In the King Kong game, players will be able to experience all the power, drama and emotion of the film thanks to the interactive possibilities provided by the game.”

“I’m really enjoying the collaboration with these artists, and all the creative possibilities we’re discovering,” said Peter Jackson. “By working closely with the development team, Ubisoft is enabling me to help shape the kind of gaming experience that I will be proud to associate with this new version of King Kong, a story that began my life-long love of film.”

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Ubisoft??? Oct 14, 2004, 01:14 Allegra Geller

From what I've read, Vivendi is just a publisher. Not a developer. They'll[Vivendi] probably publish it though.

So...all platforms?
*digs out the Colecovision*

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Ubisoft??? Oct 13, 2004, 03:41 Nyarlathotep

And not Vivendi? I thought Vivendi were bedmates with Universal. Strange that they're teaming up with Ubisoft for such a high profile game.  
-------
Calling Cthulhu
http://www.callingcthulhu.com

20. Re: Marketing Ploy? Oct 12, 2004, 23:51 terrapin

It is a bit of a meaningless announcement, this early on.. why not just wait until a month or two before the film comes out to announce the game? Then they can actually show us what it's like at the same time.

I'm looking forward to Jackson's Kong, though I have little hope it'll live up to LotR.

Bill Borre>>> Dragonlance Chronicles? Are you insane? Do you think Jackson wants to see another elf as long as he lives?

19. Marketing Ploy? Oct 12, 2004, 22:51 The Half Elf

Actually Jackson said for a long time that he wanted to do a remake of Kong long before it was announced, hell this is the first time I've heard that he was officially making the movie.

And to think Universal Stuios Florida just got rid of Kong for a "The Curse of the Mummy: The Ride".

Here's hoping they get rid of the Altantis Attaction down here and make another Kong Movie, preferably without the annoying live actor 'Driver'. If any of you have ever been on the Original Kong then you know what I'm talking about and if you've seen the Original Atlantis attraction and the new updated one then you know what I mean as well.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

18. Beyond Good & Evil Oct 12, 2004, 21:40 Shadowcat

They should left the comment about "Beyond Good and Evil's prized development team" out of the blurb.
Actually, that's the one thing that made me sit up and take notice. BG&E is a wonderful wonderful game.
Did you know that you cannot beat the PC version of Beyond Good and Evil? there is a bug about 1/2 way thru the game that makes it impossible to finish.
Apparently this happens very rarely if you have an unpatched game, but unfortunately is more likely to happen than not (but still by no means certain to) if you do patch it. Yes, this sucks big time, and Ubisoft should fund an official fix for the problem. I was caught by it, and wasted several hours before looking for and discovering the significant documentation and resources for solving the issue which are available from the community forums. DESPITE this, BG&E was one of the most enjoyable games I've played in a very long time, and the existance of a highly annoying bug in no way diminishes the significant achievement of the aforementioned development team in making the game so good. I will certainly be keeping an eye on their future games!

17. No subject Oct 12, 2004, 21:00 JosephBlowski

They should left the comment about "Beyond Good and Evil's prized development team" out of the blurb.

Did you know that you cannot beat the PC version of Beyond Good and Evil? there is a bug about 1/2 way thru the game that makes it impossible to finish. No patch. No announcements of a patch. $40 down the toilet.

Some hacker made something that is supposed to let you finish the game.

Ubercrap sold Beyond Good and Evil for PC for big money and left it up to hackers to make the game playable on the PC.

Losers.

16. Re: No subject Oct 12, 2004, 20:29 FourPak

plucking people from their bathtubs, munching dansels in distress, buzz around in a biplane shooting his hairy ass off the empire state building
neau neau neau you silly Yanqui killgamers, "Serge" already told you what the game will be about: "intense emotions"; "power, drama and emotion". It'll be an exploration of emotions. and angst. and emotions. and drama. and emotions.

15. No subject Oct 12, 2004, 19:55 space captain

"Looks like a winner, sounds like a winner."

yeh, everyone knows that games based on movie licenses are always BIG winners

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

14. Re: No subject Oct 12, 2004, 19:47 4D-Boxing

(Commodore 64 owners rejoice)

Ahhh! Even 20 plus years after i got my vic 20 the commodore 64 still gets all the love

Gorf time!!!

13. What kind of game? Oct 12, 2004, 19:43 Vinquus

So Kong goes at the top of the screen, with girders and ladders everywhere. You jump over the barrels he throws to rescue the princess.

I mean, how could Nintendo possibly sue them?

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 19:44.

12. Re: No subject Oct 12, 2004, 19:22 MrShoop

When did the movie license/video game association change over from E.T. to Spiderman? i.e. when did a movie license become a positive not a negative? IMO, a movie license is a major handicap on a game. Creativity constraints and time constraints being the major reasons. There can be exceptions, but if you look at the track record of movie license games, they tend to suck.

11. Re: No subject Oct 12, 2004, 19:06 Kosumo

" I hope we get to see Kong's giant ape penis and balls this time around."

I heard they where going to make him Jewish and cicumcise him.

10. Re: No subject Oct 12, 2004, 18:32 Halsy

I loved the 70's version with Jeff Bridges. I hope we get to see Kong's giant ape penis and balls this time around.

"I never saw a dame yet that didn't understand a good slap in the mouth or a slug from a .45."
- Bogart, Play it Again Sam

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

9. Re: No subject Oct 12, 2004, 18:24 Bill Borre

Does anyone really think this Kong remake is going to be all that? Seems to me a lousy choiced followup, at least from a marketing perspective, to LOTR. I think he would have made a much better call filming Weis & Hickman's Dragonlance Chronicles, even as a computer-generated feature. That would make an awesome movie if they did a good job on it.

8. In conjunction with ...2005 Oct 12, 2004, 18:21 JTR

Hey Blue, I think they meant the next holiday season, not this years. It would be both a really quick developmentcycle by ubisoft and a new and weird marketing trick to release the game one year before the premiere of the movie.

7. Re: No subject Oct 12, 2004, 17:57 Ihya

There had better be throwing of barrels as well, to cover all fanbases.

6. Re: No subject Oct 12, 2004, 17:50 Overon

Looks like a winner, sounds like a winner.

5. Re: No subject Oct 12, 2004, 17:45 sir

Touche. If I can add to that, I hope they add a dung attack, where you can drop a motherlode of simian processed banana fodder on the heads of the inhabitants of Nu Yoik.

4. Re: No subject Oct 12, 2004, 17:44 Viranth

Oh, I have an idea of what the game should be like!

Ok, you're this scientist... call him Jack Black for fun, and then whenever he gets mad, he turns into King Kong!

Then whenever he's done what he got angry about, he turns back into normal human form...

This way they can just change some models in "The Hulk" game and re-release it.

3. Re: No subject Oct 12, 2004, 17:42 Ihya

I hope it's like Rampage. I really liked that game.

Aye, plucking people from their bathtubs, munching dansels in distress, and best of all, when you died, you morphed back into a naked human and shuffled awkwardly off screen hiding your privates!

Will I play Kong in this game or do I have to buzz around in a biplane shooting his hairy ass off the empire state building?

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo