Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GTR Demo

Gentlemen (and ladies), start your engines, as a playable demo for GTR is now available, offering the chance to test-drive the upcoming racing simulator from SimBin. The 215 MB download is available on this pop-up page on the official GTR Website and mirrored on 3D Gamers, 4Players.de, Boomtown (registration required), FileFront, Filerush (torrent), Gameguru Mania, Gamer's Hell, and Worthplaying. Here's the official description:

GTRís official demo provides the opportunity to try both the pick-up-and-play Arcade Mode as well as Semi-Pro Mode for the more experienced user. Now everybody can improve their skills at the world-famous Spa-Francorchamps circuit in the Listerís Storm supercar (GT class) and Morganís unique Aero 8 (NGT class).

The Artificial Intelligence (AI) in GTR is groundbreaking in the racing genre Ė your opponents will attempt to pass and re-pass you, pressure you into making mistakes and even make mistakes themselves. In the demo you are able to race against up to 19 AI opponents with no time limits.

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: F**k Starforce... Oct 13, 2004, 10:39 MyRealName

"Or moan about StarForce. Your choice !"

Cool! Thanks for the choice. There's one more choice though: play something else (there's plenty to choose from which doesn't use invasive parasitic software).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: No subject Oct 13, 2004, 07:00 cronik

Yes, and you're going to need a cray and a T1 to get any kind of enjoyment out of it.

43. Re: F**k Starforce... Oct 13, 2004, 01:04 [RR]Rummy

Well put, Viper! That should shut up the arcade drivers. Most of the people whining have probably never even played F1 Challenge '99-'02 so they have NO freakin' idea what they are even talking about.

GTR is going to be one for the ages. To miss it is pure folly or absolute ignorance.

[RR]Rummy
Clan Leader of Rummys Rampage at www.rummysrampage.com
Recruiting for Counterstrike:Source
This comment was edited on Oct 13, 01:06.

[RR]Rummy
Clan Leader of Rummys Rampage at www.rummysrampage.com
Recruiting for BF1942, Desert Combat, Raven Shield, and Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

42. F**k Starforce... Oct 12, 2004, 23:28 Viper

This is truly the most amazing driving game created.

Crank up the volume, with some decent non-distorting speakers, until it reaches somewhere near what a real GT car would sound like (until your ear drums start to rattle). The engine sings so sweetly, the gearbox whines, the road grit scrapes the floor, like you have never heard before.

Setup you your steering wheel (ideally a Logi Momo using the game optimum settings for that wheel) to High forcefeedback settings.

Turn off all aids, and learn to control the brakes and throttle pedals properly. Or powerslide them like go-karts in arcade mode if thats your thing.

Drive more and more laps consequetivly to get the tires and brakes warmed up properly.

Stay away from the build-up of marbles off the racing line.

Do plenty of practice before you attempt to race against the AI.

And get the closest to a 600Bph 8Litre V10 you ever will in your life.

Or moan about StarForce. Your choice !

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 23:52.

41. jaded Oct 12, 2004, 22:07 subx

Years ago I would have spent ages getting my gear changes and braking points down to perfection, these days I just can't be bothered. If a game is going to take more than a few minutes for me to get into just forget it. Looks like it should be good for anyone not as jaded as me though

My main gripe is that the crashes aren't violent enough and you are prevented from landing you car in the grandstand

edit: P.S. it ran fine not on my C: drive (Win2000)

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 22:10.

40. Re: graphicfoxx ... if it won't start.. Oct 12, 2004, 21:24 GraphicFoxx

Ahh, the 'ol, "won't run unless it's on the C drive" nonsense...
Ok, I'll give that a shot. Thanks man, didn't even think of doing that.

39. graphicfoxx ... if it won't start.. Oct 12, 2004, 20:33 pob

the game wouldn't start for me. Kept getting res changes, desktop flicks, and a box popping up about it wanting to move hte SPA folder.

This was when it was installed to D:. When i installed it on C:, it was fine.

er very unrelated, if you run it at 1280x720, or dual screen, you get a wider field of view without distortions. groovy.

38. Re: Starforce ruined my day! Oct 12, 2004, 20:03 4D-Boxing

One option would be to give anyone who turns in info on warez sites or pirates a year of free games from the company that makes the game. That would be more effective than starforce IMHO.

Anyways paid attention to the starforce affair, i know people refuse to buy games that have it... why i'm not sure. Something to do with having to keep the cd in the machine or not being able to use cd cloning software or something like that......

Gonna try the demo see what the starfoce hype is all about once and for all!

37. Re: Starforce ruined my day! Oct 12, 2004, 19:59 GraphicFoxx

Ok, after reading the comments here, I decided to give this a whirl. Not sure if it was starforce, or the demo itself, but the game won't run. Installed fine, launches fine, switches resolutions like it's loading, then I'm greeted with my desktop again. Maybe I'll give it a try at another point.

36. Re: Starforce ruined my day! Oct 12, 2004, 19:44 sidepocket

There goes a sale.

Heh, that's too bad. The funny thing is that you won't buy it because it has Starforce, and you probably won't be able to Warez it because it has Starforce.

At least the Starforce dudes got half of it right.

35. Re: I don't get it Oct 12, 2004, 19:41 BDFD

So does anyone have an opinion on the game itself?!?

34. Re: Starforce ruined my day! Oct 12, 2004, 19:41 Manga Mang

Good read, and yup starforce sucks.

http://www.theregister.com/2003/03/06/games_copy_protection_cracked/

33. Re: Starforce ruined my day! Oct 12, 2004, 19:26 OsinO

That second part wasnt there when I was asking the question.. Now I look like an ediot :p

32. Starforce ruined my day! Oct 12, 2004, 18:59 Bet

I got all gung-ho about this demo, downloaded it, uploaded 30 megs worth of it on the 3Dgamers torrent to get 10 megs to repair my GamersHell corrupted downloaded (what's up with that lately), then I get all set, run the installer, and the second screen in (which I read to get juicy sim tips), I get presented by the happy Starforce message. Damn it. There goes a sale. I won't support invasive crap like this. Starforce one step down from activation, and if it wasn't for Windows XP, I wouldn't deal with that crap either.

31. Re: I don't get it Oct 12, 2004, 18:16 Tom

My theory is that the folks who complain about RBR's physics are at the ends of two extremes: 1) the newbie who doesn't have a wheel, or 2) the sim snob who can only tolerate the likes of GPL.

As someone who has played many racing games and sims, (from NFS5 to GPL, Papy's N4 and N2002-3, F1 2001-2 and its mods, LFS, the GTR press demo and so on), RBR's physics feel just right to me. They're just the right blend of fun and realism. There's a limit to be found, the tracks have plenty of variety and depth, and it's just a huge rush driving in such twisty, narrow, and dangerous conditions at such a fast pace. Much more intense than driving on a track, multiplayer situations excluded.

This is the problem w/ Starforce btw - the effect that that one word can bring to the table for some people

[18:09] A: also, it has Starforce
[18:09] B: STARFORCE!!!
[18:09] B: ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!
[18:09] A: heh
[18:09] B: starforce makes me angr
[18:09] B: i install starforce.. then BAM! windows doesnt boot up
[18:09] B: or BAM.. game wont play
[18:10] A: I haven't had that problem.. but I haven't been able to confirm whether or not I even had it installed...
[18:11] B: lol
[18:11] B: the starforce demo ones are the worse
[18:11] B: i've had cases where it yelled at me that i was usin an illegal copy
[18:12] B: the demo loads up starforce and prepares for the full game
[18:12] B: i think its the publisher's doing though

30. Re: I don't get it Oct 12, 2004, 17:41 MyRealName

"I don't get it..."

Well that's just it, though - exactly what you said. Imagine you go out and buy your new favorite highly anticipated whizz-bang game. You get home, and you find out you can't run it though, because your system is telling you that your disk is invalid, because of said conflicts with certain CDROMs. And you realize Starforce is causing it.

...What do you do? Return your new game? Or go buy a new CDROM, because of a Starforce over-protective issue?

---

RBR, terrible physics? You've got to be kidding. I'm very thankful for games like RBR, because they come along and wipe out the competition in a bloated genre, making my purchase choice (1) very simple. I should mention I'm also thankful to Xpand Rally (another Starforce mutant - check your registry if you tried the demo!), since without Xpand I would never have found out about RBR.

29. Re: Looking forward to this... Oct 12, 2004, 17:19 StealthR6

RBR is better then crack.

28. Looking forward to this... Oct 12, 2004, 17:09 diRty roBot

...despite sim mode being disabled. Right now I'm hooked on RBR. Best racing sim evar! RBR with a Logitech MOMO is the nuts!

27. SCC Oct 12, 2004, 17:08 StealthR6

Sports Car Challenge (SCC) http://www.rsdg.net/ is another excellent mod but for the newer F1C 99-02 version.

26. Re: GTR Oct 12, 2004, 17:04 jimnms

hey took out simulation mode (bummer) but this demo is for the masses and not the hardcore since they will all buy it anyway.

Download cancled. Thanks for saving me a few minutes. How the fuck am I supposed to know if I'm going to like it or not since I will only be playing it in simulation mode.

Steam Profile

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo