Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New 3DRealms Game?

A comment on a story on Game Matters on original games (thanks GameGossip and HomeLAN Fed) has a quote from 3DRealms' Scott Miller that indicates they've got another game in the works other than Duke Nukem Forever. Here's the whole deal for now:

Id is now working on an original project, and although we're known for Duke, we also helped bring Max Payne to the market, and we're currently working on an unannounced original game, too.

View
77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

37. Dumbasses Oct 12, 2004, 12:59 CrimsonPaw

Hey pinheads, you guys can't finish one f***ing game, what makes you think you can finish two?

~~Crim~~
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Oct 12, 2004, 12:54 MyRealName

When they make it this easy, it takes some of the fun out of it.

35. Man, could the hole get any bigger? Oct 12, 2004, 12:43 Elvis

While I'm still on 3DR's side and fully expect DNF to see the light of day at some point in the future, this announcement just cracked me up. 3DR is already in so much shit already (or nearly forgotten if you're a real cynic) for DNF being so late. And now this. Classic

More than any other game I can think of, DNF is going to have the mother f**ker of all expectation against it. Eventhough its not really fair since they switched engines (at least once right?), wrote their own renderer, blah blah, but how are they going to deal with "X many years in development, and it can't do this or that?" In some ways, it reminds of Halflife's development, where they did a bunch of work, chucked it, and started over.

34. Re: Oct 12, 2004, 12:36 XEON

Scott Miller has mentioned this 'unannounced game' several times already in his blog...

===
B: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

P: I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a duck and a hose at this hour?

33. Re: Oct 12, 2004, 12:28 Sixis

Yeah, every April 1st from now until DNF comes out in 2010 they should post a "demo" from shit they threw out years ago (I know they had something, they put screens out like 5 years ago!)  

32. Re: Oct 12, 2004, 12:26 Sixis

I'm not gonna flame them, it's just too damn easy now.

...Oh, Alright:

Terminal Velocity 2! (based not on the great action game, but of the shitty Charlie Sheen movie of the same name)

Also, "Prey", ROFL!

31. This Just In... Oct 12, 2004, 12:19 Halsy

Who cares? Try actually getting a game to market one of these years, then come talk to us. 3DR = 'The boy who cried wolf' of the gameworld.

"I never saw a dame yet that didn't understand a good slap in the mouth or a slug from a .45."
- Bogart, Play it Again Sam

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

30. Re: Oct 12, 2004, 12:18 Taulin

3DR should consider including a few levels from all their old DNF versions as a bonus. I would love to see the Quake and HL versions also, even if it is just a level or two.

29. Re: Oct 12, 2004, 12:14 Wolffe

Only one unannounced game? Over the past 10 years (?) they've probably shelved at least a half dozen games in there somewhere...

Of course, they're all different versions of Duke Nukem Forever, using every engine available under the sun... but hey, swap a couple of textures and I'm sure they could flood the bargain bins the market with unannounced titles.

28. Re: Oct 12, 2004, 11:41 Rseman

id software is known for making games and the engines that drive them.... from my view, that would have to be a safer business model than being known for press releases and yet, 3dr continue to survive...

it's got me completely fucked, actually....

27. Re: Starforce Oct 12, 2004, 11:19 joeslim

I dunno what original means in this case but I'm guessing an old game with a new engine, so I'm guessing Shadow Warrior or Rise of the Triad.

26. Re: Release date Oct 12, 2004, 11:17 Kristian Joensen

This game is a collobration between 3D Realms and an unannouced 3rd party developer.

25. Re: Release date Oct 12, 2004, 11:13 Kristian Joensen

This game like Max Payne is collobration between 3D Realms and a 3RD party developer.

24. Interesting Oct 12, 2004, 10:58 mystery8

Well, its certainly interesting that they're starting a new franchise... But I wonder how long till this is used as an excuse for delaying DNF so long.

23. 1997 again? Oct 12, 2004, 10:58 b00ger1

Prey...

22. No subject Oct 12, 2004, 10:45 aldo_14

"Working" could be one guy sitting in a mop closet writing out design docs and doing concept art.

I think the DNF team already has digs on the mop closet, actually........

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 10:45.

21. Re: No subject Oct 12, 2004, 10:34 Beamer

Trolls need to consider what "working" means.

"Working" could be one guy sitting in a mop closet writing out design docs and doing concept art.

That would be bad, though. Doom 3 has taught us all not to store our excess employees in storage closets, especially if the storage closet doors can only be opened by picking up some ammo laying on the ground, much like gold trinket in the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Re: No subject Oct 12, 2004, 10:32 nin

You'd think 3DR would learn to STFU by now...

www.muse.mu

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

19. No subject Oct 12, 2004, 10:17 B M

Lets see, 3DR announces a new game in 2004, therefore it should be at least 2014 before it sees the light of day.  

18. just maybe Oct 12, 2004, 09:29 Geese

What would be the fun in developing only ONE vapor-ware game at a time? I'm sure they are hard at work at simultaneously developing Prey. - Little known trivia about the Prey engine: originally conceived in the Quake 1 engine, 3DR continually changed engines as more an more technology became available. Some of the engines have included the likes of Battlezone 2, Sims Makin Magic, and Chessmaster 8. In an ironic twist, it seems that DNF is now being developed on the Prey engine.

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio Channel 202
http://www.opieandanthony.com
http://www.xmradio.com

77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo