Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Q&As

• Bioshock
    The BioShock Q&A on IGN talks with Irrational's Ken Levine about their just-announced role-playing game: "BioShock has absolutely no relation to the System Shock series in terms of the intellectual property, characters, settings etc. However, it is inspired by the open-ended design principles pioneered by Looking Glass. Irrational is dedicated to maintaining that tradition. BioShock is also being created by the majority of the team who created System Shock 2 and many of the games which helped inspire it."
  • Troika
    The Troika Q&A Part One on GameBanshee talks with Leonard Boyarsky about their yet untitled upcoming post-apocalyptic RPG: "Were very early in the dev cycle for the new game, and right now were just working on the engine basics that wed need for any RPG wed make with this engine, whether it be a traditional Fallout style RPG or a more action oriented title. We have a few ideas for the name, but until we secure the rights to it we cant reveal what it is."

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: No subject Oct 12, 2004, 20:26 Belmont

Brian Fargo already acquired the rights for Wasteland from Electronic Arts. To bad meantime never came out.

Sierra needs to let them make Arcanum 2(TB only); Troika's ideas for it were interesting. Or I would be happy if they created their own D&D campaign with good character interaction and story the ToEE engine has potential.

In short Arcanum's world, multiple solutions, character interaction, and story ruled while combat sucked. In ToEE's case the story was miniscule and its character interaction blew while the combat was awesome. If they made Arcanum 2 with ToEE's turn based combat I could die happy.

In closing this year is worse than last year when it comes to rpgs. Bloodlines, Restricted Area, and Kult (if I am that desperate) are basically all there is to look forward to.

"Choice and Consequence." Gareth 'Section8' Davies on the key ingredients of an RPG.
This comment was edited on Oct 12, 20:28.

"Choice and Consequence." Gareth 'Section8' Davies on the key ingredients of an RPG.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: BioShock Engine Oct 12, 2004, 15:56 Wazootyman

You needed special tools to maintain weapons (and another tool type to repair them). They did degrade pretty fast (especially early on when maint tools were scarce), but towards the end, the rifle weapon took so few shots to kill anything and maint tools were common enough for it not to be an issue for me.

The main balance problem I saw was that the "standard" weapons category was by far the best (and most versetile) once you got the rifle (and the category was still above average before then). Energy weapons sucked except that the infinite ammo thing helped in the beginning... The only heavy weapon worth it was the nade launcher (which you only needed 1 level of skill to use) and exotic weapons were way underpowered considering how late you got them and how annoying it was to get ammo for them. Hurray I can kill organic enemies *slightly* faster than with a rifle, which I got earlier, has more ammo, and can deal with mechanical targets much better.
=\

8. Re: BioShock Engine Oct 12, 2004, 15:32 4D-Boxing

" In the far future you would think they could manufacture guns that fire more than six shots before breaking."

LOL, That was never a problem when i played the game, guns would break or jam maybe 2 or 3 time in the entire game! I thought you could repair your weapons for a few nanites? If it did eventualy break down.

Anyways, I'm not sure if this guy works for EA or did not play the game right?!?!?!? Then again I might be wrong but i'm pretty sure my gun never broke until maybe half way through the game and maybe once or twince towards the end. Calling the combat sytem ridiulous is like saying snow is warm or that Doom3 was the best game of 2004!

7. Re: BioShock Engine Oct 12, 2004, 15:02 7.62WorldOrder

I hope they get rid of the ridiculous combat system from SS2. In the far future you would think they could manufacture guns that fire more than six shots before breaking. They need to find less cheap ways to balance the gameplay.

6. Re: No subject Oct 12, 2004, 12:22 Halsy

Someone better publish Troika's game. Tim Cain is the only guy I trust to do a proper FO'esqe game. Bethesda is going to fucking ruin Fallout.

"I never saw a dame yet that didn't understand a good slap in the mouth or a slug from a .45."
- Bogart, Play it Again Sam

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

5. Re: BioShock Engine Oct 12, 2004, 12:21 Sixis

I hope they stick to things that rocked from SShock 2:

Cool abilities
Deep inventory/weapons system (don't limit our carrying capacity this time!)
Multiple ways to proceed
Excellent story with great voice actors
Locales that aren't just there for different looks, but are an integral part of both the game play and the story
SPOOKINESS!

P.S. What do we have to do to get Ken to post here again?

4. Re: BioShock Engine Oct 12, 2004, 11:16 Hanover

They are using the Tribes:Vengeance engine...the modified Unreal engine.

http://www.sshock2.com/bioshock/faq/

EDIT: Added link

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 11:17.

3. BioShock Engine Oct 12, 2004, 11:07 b00ger1

Does anyone know what engine this will be using?

2. No subject Oct 12, 2004, 08:04 space captain

word up dude... man i loved that fuckin game

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

1. No subject Oct 12, 2004, 08:00 Veinman

Please let them call it Wasteland 2!;)

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer