Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: FCC Oct 13, 2004, 15:39 Karnisov

it was a saggy boob, so maybe the FCC was right to fine CBS. don't show your boobs unless they are nice. yeah.  
"Think for yourself. Question authority."
-- Timothy Leary
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: U.S. Spies on Chat Rooms Oct 12, 2004, 23:31 ledhead1969

Name one nuke plant infiltrated by a raghead with a swiss army knife. Sarcasm is the hallmark of a small mind.

19. Spell much? Oct 12, 2004, 23:29 ledhead1969

You spelled Rummy's name wrong, dumbass.

18. FCC Oct 12, 2004, 22:03 FourPak

Indecency Standards Checklist, SuperBowl edition:

4-hour-erection pill ads... approved
farting-horse beer commercials... approved
8-pixel boob shown for .025 seconds... PROFANITY ALERT PROFANITY ALERT!!!

17. U.S. Spies on Chat Rooms Oct 12, 2004, 21:48 FourPak

your tax dollars at work.
RPI professor Bulent Yener will use mathematical models in search of patterns in the chatter. Downloading data from selected chat rooms, Yener will track the times that messages were sent, creating a statistical profile of the traffic.
Figures, while some genius is wasting millions trying to decide if the typical "Fidel slaps Osama with a Large Trout" yammering on a "Team America: World Police" irc site is really a Terrorist Plot, some H-1B visa escapee with a 3rd grade education and a pen knife is breaking into your local unguarded nuclear power site.

16. Re: No subject Oct 12, 2004, 18:46 Pent

I bought a rio karma 20gb and I'm happy with it, I got it a year ago now, and it was $250 cdn cheaper then an ipod 20gb, which is ridiculas (I shopped them online)

15. Re: No subject Oct 12, 2004, 16:20 Zathrus

Is there a MP3 player with with native Linux support?

Neuros may... I can't find info on their software on their website right now. They appear to be very Open Source friendly though. (Addendum to previous post -- the Neuros looked nifty, albeit expensive. And the Neuros II wasn't out when I bought my wife the iPod).

Pretty much all of the major HD MP3 players have Linux support available... not from the manufacturer, but their interface protocols have all been hacked (or are documented), so there's a variety of software out there for syncing to your iPod, Nomad, iRiver, Neuros, or whatever.

14. Re: No subject Oct 12, 2004, 15:56 Bunko

hat matters to me is if it has an updatable rom, supports OGG, and has native Linux support. That is no i-pod; they still have some issues with Microsoft support, which is 90% of the OS market. Apple's i-pod is a bit too restrictive for me. I don't like their DRM; it's a liability, not an feature.
Is there a MP3 player with with native Linux support? I wasn't aware of one. That would definately be a plus for me. I'm sorta in the market for an MP3 player as my Nomad Jukebox 2 dies a slow death.

http://citizenb.com/ - Shameless website plug.
Some men get the world. Others get ex-hookers and a trip to Arizona.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

13. Re: No subject Oct 12, 2004, 15:50 SmyTTor

The i-pod has a nice simplified system for navigating their OS. There are some other mp3 players that have decent navigation and OS's. I could care less about the Apple bit. What matters to me is if it has an updatable rom, supports OGG, and has native Linux support. That is no i-pod; they still have some issues with Microsoft support, which is 90% of the OS market. Apple's i-pod is a bit too restrictive for me. I don't like their DRM; it's a liability, not an feature.

Fair use and broad support. That's where my purchasing dollar goes.

12. Re: No subject Oct 12, 2004, 15:20 4D-Boxing

I bought a Neuros II mp3 player, it has everything you could possibly want. Had the option of getting a pod but after testing the first neuros at a friends place i had to get the new one. There are so many good options out there when it comes to mp3 player... I never got the ipod hype.

11. Re: No subject Oct 12, 2004, 14:07 Steele Johnson

I have a 20gig iPod and I love it. I did a lot of research before purchasing an mp3 device that can hold all my mp3's, and the iPod was the best of the crop (IMO). What's all this shit about "not being cool if you own an iPod"? That has got to be one of the most childish and moronic statements I've seen in a long time. It's an mp3 player, you freak. It's for listening to music.

10. Re: No subject Oct 12, 2004, 14:03 Zathrus

How about having to buy "Apple" branded hardware?

That's a business decision, and not an entirely unreasonable one. Contrast their decision to that of IBM's -- IBM isn't exactly the place to go to buy a PC nowadays. I won't buy an Apple because of the relatively miserable price/performance and the distinct lack of software I care about, but that's my choice. Still not screwing their customers.

How about cracks in the plastic cases and Apple looking the other way until people scream bloody murder?

Unfamiliar with that one. But given Creative's business practices from waaaay back in the AdLib days to current day -- namely their crappy patent ploys since day 1, their incredibly bad and buggy drivers (NT SMP anyone?), and their amazing driver bloat -- I see no reason to do business with them. I haven't heard that their customer disservice is any better with their MP3 players either.

9. Re: No subject Oct 12, 2004, 13:43 nin

I'm not a big Apple fan either, but at least they don't have a record of outright screwing their customers.

I must respectfully disagree. How about having to buy "Apple" branded hardware? How about cracks in the plastic cases and Apple looking the other way until people scream bloody murder?

www.muse.mu

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

8. Re: java 1.4.2 ?? Oct 12, 2004, 12:40 dubfanatic

yeah what the hell is that crap? Java v1.4.2 has been out for a really long time. Figures, I submit a news link about a new patch for a game, which goes overlooked, and some joker gets this posted.

7. Re: No subject Oct 12, 2004, 12:38 Zathrus

Zathrus must own an ipod.

Shush you.

Actually, Zathrus's wife owns an iPod (20GB). And frankly, it's a very nice bit of electronics. This is the 4th generation one, mind you, so it doesn't have an insanely sucky battery life. The interface is by far the best of the bunch... and we tried quite a few out before deciding which one to buy. The touch wheel is really easy to use.

The Creative Zen Touch has a pretty good interface as well, but Creative sucks as a company. I'm not a big Apple fan either, but at least they don't have a record of outright screwing their customers. I simply won't buy anything from Creative anymore if I can avoid doing so.

The Karma line is also very nice... the interface is good (not as good as a touch wheel, but by far the best non-touch wheel UI), and battery life is excellent. The Windows interface app is so-so though.

Why'd we end up with the iPod? Well, before the 4G version I wouldn't have considered it. But they dropped the price by $100, putting it back in line with the competition, and improved the battery life. It's still not the best battery life or the cheapest price, but it has the best UI, the Windows UI is pretty good (we have 80GB of ripped CDs stored on a Linux server), and it's smaller and lighter than all the others with the same capacity. I certainly wouldn't want a previous generation iPod, but this one is actually competitive again.

6. Re: No subject Oct 12, 2004, 12:27 Halsy

Zathrus must own an ipod.

"I never saw a dame yet that didn't understand a good slap in the mouth or a slug from a .45."
- Bogart, Play it Again Sam

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

5. java 1.4.2 ?? Oct 12, 2004, 11:36 kurly-q

i've been using java 1.4.2 for a long time.. what's news to me is that java 5 (1.5) is apparently no longer a release candidate. maybe now i'll download it.

4. Re: No subject Oct 12, 2004, 11:35 Zathrus

Anyone who even buys an ipod is, by definition, not cool or hip - they're marketing led sheep.

Gotta love the random attack statement with no proof whatsoever!

You should join the political discussions with reasoning like that.

3. wrong nick... Oct 12, 2004, 10:29 Dave Lister

I think you want [DoJ]Ashcroft... Rumsfeld's tag would be [DoD] and he'd probably get kicked from #alqaeda

2. Re: No subject Oct 12, 2004, 09:31 c r i s p y

Actually, that sentiment can be extended to encompass anyone who buys Apple's stuff, period.  
---
Chris.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo